Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Smart phones and teens Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 07 2014 at 8:47pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Just wanted to add too - that the Virgin Mobile unlimited data/text/talk plan is only $30/month if you buy an iphone and if you use autopay.

(I know more about cell phone plans, CDMA, GSM, unlocked,locked, prepaid plans etc that I ever wanted to know. And I still have my 15 year old Nokia!!!!)

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 08 2014 at 7:05am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

MarilynW wrote:

Betsy - this looks promising. Do you have the $45 plan? I am trying to figure out what 500MB of data means and if it will be enough. Dd would use the data mainly for email and for some researching for articles she is writing. Maybe to Skpye home too?   

When we ordered our phones we were really nervous about the data amounts. As I was typing this I was reminded by my dh that we actually have 1G data, not 500 that is currently offered. However, as I just went and looked at the current plan if you pre pay you will get 1G of data.

With that being said, my dh and I have found 1G of data to be adequate. You have the ability to text and see how much you have left and it will send you alerts when you have used 1/2 and you are really close to using all of the data.

I have had one month that I went over and to buy an additional 500 was only $5. And it does look like they have some bridge plans for extra data that aren't too bad.

It varies from month to month how much data I use. I like to stream pandora in the car when I am driving and use the directions, which takes up the most data. I don't know exactly how much data things take, but any type of video streaming takes quite a bit more. I am no expert, but if you are using your phone for all of your "computer" type stuff and using it on 4G a lot 1G probably won't be enough.   However, if you are able to use wifi some and have access to a computer than it probably will be enough. Does that make sense???

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 08 2014 at 8:32am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Thanks so much for the info Betsy. Useful to know. Especially as dd's school does not have much readily accessible wifi.

She is doing a spreadsheet with different plans etc and will make a decision soon.

It's very exciting - I can't wait to play with her phone!!! She will have to hide it from her siblings - esp. my five year old, who is attracted to anything smartphone!!

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 08 2014 at 8:49am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Suggestion, especially with siblings around...consider investing in a very durable case, such as an Otterbox. They aren't cheap ($40 or so) but they definitely offer a huge amount of protection if the phone happens to fall to the ground.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 08 2014 at 9:00am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

guitarnan wrote:
Suggestion, especially with siblings around...consider investing in a very durable case, such as an Otterbox. They aren't cheap ($40 or so) but they definitely offer a huge amount of protection if the phone happens to fall to the ground.

Yes! It isn't otterbox, but we have similar very durable, "bouncy" cases on our phones, which I am certain have been instrumental to their survival!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

MarieC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 11 2014 at 1:00pm | IP Logged Quote MarieC

Just wanted to throw out the idea of Republic Wireless for service. It uses some sort of technology that uses cell and wifi. You have to buy phones through them. I have used them since May....I ditched a very old clamshell phone for it....and have LOVED it. I got the basic phone (Moto G) and have the $25/mo. plan. They have other cheaper plans as well ($5 & $10). There isn't a contract and you can switch between plans a couple of times a month if necessary.

HTH!

Out in the Orchard
Back to Top View MarieC's Profile Search for other posts by MarieC

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 8:15am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

[QUOTE=guitarnan] I basically did it for international calling purposes, now that Dancing Daughter is occasionally competing in other countries. VM has no international calling/texting/data capability; I checked.

/QUOTE]

O Nancy - you just made me think. DD will be abroad for a mission trip and for a semester abroad. Do you think the Virgin plan will work abroad - we just want her to be able to link to wireless in a café or something to skype video or call us. I know that roaming charges would be too high, but we just want the wireless capability.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 8:48am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

MarieC wrote:
Just wanted to throw out the idea of Republic Wireless for service. It uses some sort of technology that uses cell and wifi. You have to buy phones through them. I have used them since May....I ditched a very old clamshell phone for it....and have LOVED it. I got the basic phone (Moto G) and have the $25/mo. plan. They have other cheaper plans as well ($5 & $10). There isn't a contract and you can switch between plans a couple of times a month if necessary.

HTH!

Marie - this looks intriguing! I am trying to figure out how their technology looks and whether they will work at my dd's school where there is poor wifi. Have you found it to be reliable in connection?

MarieC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 13 2014 at 10:22am | IP Logged Quote MarieC

MarilynW wrote:
MarieC wrote:

HTH!

Marie - this looks intriguing! I am trying to figure out how their technology looks and whether they will work at my dd's school where there is poor wifi. Have you found it to be reliable in connection?

Marilyn....If there isn't wifi available it just goes over to the 3G cellular. I haven't had any more dropped calls/issues than I had with any other "regular" cell service...less actually.

Out in the Orchard
Back to Top View MarieC's Profile Search for other posts by MarieC

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 13 2014 at 10:35am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Marilyn, we have never been able to use our Virgin Mobile plans in other countries, not even Canada. I called Virgin Canada and was told it wasn't possible.

There are other things your daughter could do to stay in touch while overseas, though - buy a cheap unlocked GSM cell phone (Amazon sells them) and buy a SIM card from her host country with a low-cost pay-as-you-go option, or use an Internet cafe and computer to Skype with you.

sunny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 13 2014 at 10:01pm | IP Logged Quote sunny

For international calling we use Viber. Free text, calling, photo messages and location-sharing btwn Viber users
Back to Top View sunny's Profile Search for other posts by sunny

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 8:12pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

I just wanted to update and thank you all for all the information.

My dd has a smartphone - so exciting, the first person in our family!!

By some twist of luck (God's grace!) my brother found out that dd was researching smartphones - and he offered her his old iphone4 which is slightly cracked. It had been on a Verizon plan - so we ended up doing the Verizon prepaid that Betsy mentioned. The local Verizon store was awesome - transferred her Virgin number and got us all set up. And before they even did this - dd was able to use the phone on our home wireless - she set up email, her social networking, her music etc. And I realized why they are called "smartphones" - I LOVED it!!!

Today dd went back to school and I think that everything worked properly even in the mountains. I LOVE that she can send us photos of things as she is doing them, and that she does not run out of talk and text. She will be careful with her 500MB of data - will try to use wireless when possible.

So...although I still like my dumb phone, and I have no envy or concern that a smartphone is not in the budget for me - I REALLY like them, and I can understand why you ladies love them so....

Thank you again for all your help and advice. I will be researching Republic Wireless for my next teens who might need a phone.

Oh - I wanted to mention. Another bonus of the iphone is that when dd is in Rome - she can use it like a tablet in an internet cafe or similar. The prepaid service will not work, so she does not have to worry about roaming, but she can skype us etc.

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 8:14pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

So happy that you found a great option! Can't beat a free phone!

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 8:48pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

What a great solution, Marilyn! I'm so glad everything worked out affordably.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Aug 22 2014 at 7:21am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Really glad everything worked out, Marilyn!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version