Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Comfortable shoes during pregnancy? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
AnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 09 2006 at 4:06pm | IP Logged Quote AnaB

Hi Ladies!

I'm about 6 weeks pregnant and already my feet are starting to swell a little bit. My blood pressure is still low, so I'm not sure why my feet are doing this. It's never happened with my other pregnancies.

It is so hot here in Miami, so part of me is looking for sandals. But even with leather slip on shoes, I end up with blisters. A few months ago I bought some black leather Dansko crocs and they are absolutely wonderful, but I noticed today that they feel a little tight already. I'm so sad! I paid so much for them and now my foot is swelling and may possibly grow again!

My feet are really not tolerating Payless shoes anymore. I'm willing to pay good money if the shoe is comfortable and works for me. If it was up to me, I'd live in flip flops but that won't work for church and restaurants.

Any suggestions?

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 09 2006 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

I got some Clarks sandals during my last pregnancy for the reasons you mention above. They are the most comfortable shoes that I have ever worn. One of the things about the sandals that I really like is that the width is fully adjustable. Clarks are carried by various department stores.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 09 2006 at 5:01pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

I found the best pregnancy sandals in BASS shoes... they are not super expensive... they were flat with leather straps and were in a 'flip-flop' style... you could try some of their shoes

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 09 2006 at 5:17pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

This is the shoe I had... here at the Bass Place

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 09 2006 at 6:12pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Christine wrote:
I got some Clarks sandals during my last pregnancy for the reasons you mention above. They are the most comfortable shoes that I have ever worn.

Ditto!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 09 2006 at 8:18pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Ana,

I can relate! I'm 10 weeks and my feet aren't swelling but I have a high arch and in pregnancy I have to wear good shoes or my feet will HURT. I am on a quest for sandals that are comfortable, supportive and cute.

And I'm willing to pay for good shoes that will last - because like you I really can't do Payless anymore.

I spent 2 hours on Zappos site the other week and nothing appealed to me. I need to go out and shop but haven't gotten to it yet.

I'd love suggestions!

The Bass shoes are cute but they wouldn't have enough arch support for me and I can't stand a between the toe strap.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

8kids4me
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 09 2006 at 8:42pm | IP Logged Quote 8kids4me

Birkenstocks. I wear them almost out, then get them resoled. I love them.

Jenny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 09 2006 at 10:22pm | IP Logged Quote Jenny

Ditto the Birkenstocks!

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 09 2006 at 10:57pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Merrell shoes are the only things I can wear all day without my feet aching. The footbed is very supportive, they are rugged enough for hiking, yet lightweight and cute. The straps on the sandals are very adjustable. I have the sandals, hiking boots, and mocs. Love them all.
Merrell sandals

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

humanaevitae
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 09 2006 at 11:48pm | IP Logged Quote humanaevitae

I like the brand Ecco. They are expensive but mine last for years.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 10 2006 at 7:25am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I have arch problems and my feet were always hurting. I did go to an orthopedist, and he recommended going to a store that specializes in fitting you with the proper show. That's a lost art. You may pay more, but the shoes will last you and you will be grateful for every step you take.

"Euro Comfort" is one of the terms used for the kind of shoe you need. The local store I've used for awhile is The Walking Company.

I recommend you finding shoes with cork beds...that will give you constant support. The lady also fitted me one size up from my non-pregnant size. Birkenstock, Mephisto, Dansko, Naot are the usual shoes that will give you utmost support. I bought some simple clogs by Naot. I found them so wonderful, I have a second pair, 2 years later. I've had much wear out of them. And if they feel too big after pregnancy, you can remove the inside sole and place a shoe pad (groggy this morning, can't remember the terms) inside and then replace the inside sole.

I was pregnant in the summer, though, and my feet were hot. Mephisto was a little out of my budget range, so Authentic Sushi was my choice. I LOVE these shoes. This was my first time to wear slides, so I was nervous, but they were great. I'm now on the third year. The strap is elasticized, which gives my arches support, but stretches. But if you sprinkle the strap with water, it will shrink up when you're not swelling as much.

But I also found that taking extra B6 helped me TREMENDOUSLY on the swelling.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Katie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 14 2006 at 8:46am | IP Logged Quote Katie

I have wide feet and have enjoyed Softwalk shoes and sandals. They are really comfy and come in a variety of widths. I get them at Zappos. They're pricey, though. I like them becasue they looka little more stylish than some other "comfort" brands. Thos e are fine with jeans, but there are times when I need something more dressy.

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 14 2006 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote LisaD

I'm not pregnant, but after four pregnancies (with above-average weight gains ) and a severely sprained ankle a year ago, I need to wear shoes with good support. So, my Mother's Day present was to go shopping with just the baby yesterday, and I bought myself some really comfortable sandals with excellent arch support. I got them at the mall at The Walking Company, and this is the style I got: Dansko Lolita

It was hard for me to pay so much for a pair of sandals, considering they cost as much as five pairs of Payless shoes, but they are truly the most comfortable pair of shoes I have ever owned. I walked all over the mall in them yesterday, and my legs and feet didn't ache like they usually do.

As an aside, when my foot was measured at the shoe store, I found that my foot has grown an entire size since my first pregnancy!

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 14 2006 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote LisaD

I'm not pregnant, but after four pregnancies (with above-average weight gains ) and a severely sprained ankle a year ago, I need to wear shoes with good support. So, my Mother's Day present was to go shopping with just the baby yesterday, and I bought myself some really comfortable sandals with excellent arch support. I got them at the mall at The Walking Company, and this is the style I got: Dansko Lolita

It was hard for me to pay so much for a pair of sandals, considering they cost as much as five pairs of Payless shoes, but they are truly the most comfortable pair of shoes I have ever owned. I walked all over the mall in them yesterday, and my legs and feet didn't ache like they usually do.

As an aside, when my foot was measured at the shoe store, I found that my foot has grown an entire size since my first pregnancy!

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 06 2006 at 9:46am | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

I just bought a new pair of shoes yesterday. Here they are. They are a unisex style. They're not beautiful at all , but they're mighty comfortable. They didn't have black when I was in the store, so I ended up with blue. I'm trying to reconcile how comfy they are with how they look...The price was sure right, though!

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: June 06 2006 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

JennGM wrote:

"Euro Comfort" is one of the terms used for the kind of shoe you need. The local store I've used for awhile is The Walking Company.

Just an FYI. I discovered last week that The Walking Company is no longer at Dulles Town Center. So...I walked fro their empty site to Nordstrom where I bought Eccos. It was the best I could do..

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 06 2006 at 10:09am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Elizabeth wrote:
JennGM wrote:

Just an FYI. I discovered last week that The Walking Company is no longer at Dulles Town Center. So...I walked fro their empty site to Nordstrom where I bought Eccos. It was the best I could do..

WHATT? I'm so glad you told me! I would have been so upset! Nordstrom does have great shoes, but not a trained shoe fitter. There's another store near the Trader Joes in Falls Church, but the name escapes me.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 06 2006 at 10:10am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Elizabeth wrote:

One more thing...Eccos are great. My mother swears by them.

Just shows you that I don't get out shopping much. I am in need of new shoes but I really HATE shopping.

AnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 06 2006 at 10:24am | IP Logged Quote AnaB

It's weird to see that post and to think how much can change in a weeks time!

But I did finally find a pair of shoes over a week ago. http://www.rackroomshoes.com/product/Bjorndal/1000.213090.ht ml

These have an arch and were the most comfortable shoes I've ever slipped my feet into. My feet were so sore and I had blisters from my other shoes and these were comfortable the moment I slipped them on. They weren't that expensive either.

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 06 2006 at 10:33am | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

I like these

But I'm not pregnant . Just wanted to offer these as a possibility.

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version