Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Dilemma: TV at relatives/friends houses Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 06 2012 at 12:02am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Watching Sponge Bob has been shown to be problematic. I feel sad about the results of this study, but not terribly bad...facts are online for every parent and grandparent to review.

SpongeBob vs. any other legitimate TV program? I vote SpongeBob. (ETA: Of course I mean TV programs that are too old/violent/graphic for kids, and programs that you would encounter at someone else's house.)

10 Bright Stars
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 06 2012 at 11:31am | IP Logged Quote 10 Bright Stars

Thanks for the article. Hysterical! I can see that being the case. I mean...la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la la...would have to know the show to know that tune. hehe I think it used to be a pretty funny show when it first came out, but now it has the same frustrated undertone that a lot of new cartoons seem to have. Have you seen Lazy Town for example?? WOW! That show could give someone a seizure!!!!! Our kids tend to watch Little House or the Waltons, and if they watch cartoons, I would prefer the older ones like Looney Tunes (not the violent ones) which are just fun and frankly, not trying to teach them something, which seems sort of odd to me in a cartoon. Our kids used to watch Little Bear all the time, which I LOVE!! Nice and slow-paced with classical music. I do like things like Max and Ruby, Caillou, and Franklin that are more slow paced and calming. But, I do agree that very limited exposure is best!!

Mary 12, Gracie 10,
Isabelle and Sophia 8,
Gabrielle 6,
William Anthony 4, Joseph 3 and Luisa Marie - born in M
Back to Top View 10 Bright Stars's Profile Search for other posts by 10 Bright Stars Visit 10 Bright Stars's Homepage

Barb.b
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 06 2012 at 12:32pm | IP Logged Quote Barb.b

I just "re-banned" sponge bob in my house. Tried an experiment to let 9yr ds watch it. But you know - its that squidward character - he is so negative and always calling names. Off it goes again!

Barb
Back to Top View Barb.b's Profile Search for other posts by Barb.b

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 06 2012 at 12:42pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I have banned so many cartoons over the years..."Fairly Oddparents" is STILL on my banned list, and my younger child is 14!

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 06 2012 at 1:07pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

10 Bright Stars wrote:
Thanks for the article. Hysterical! I can see that being the case. I mean...la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la la...would have to know the show to know that tune. hehe I think it used to be a pretty funny show when it first came out, but now it has the same frustrated undertone that a lot of new cartoons seem to have. Have you seen Lazy Town for example?? WOW! That show could give someone a seizure!!!!! Our kids tend to watch Little House or the Waltons, and if they watch cartoons, I would prefer the older ones like Looney Tunes (not the violent ones) which are just fun and frankly, not trying to teach them something, which seems sort of odd to me in a cartoon. Our kids used to watch Little Bear all the time, which I LOVE!! Nice and slow-paced with classical music. I do like things like Max and Ruby, Caillou, and Franklin that are more slow paced and calming. But, I do agree that very limited exposure is best!!

My boys really like Little Bear, and I allow it, but my boys were going around the house for DAYS yelling, "Happy Winter Solstice!!" after watching that episode. I also find it puzzling that they have human friends with whom they put out winter solstice goodies for the wild animals. What are they? In Narnian tales, the distinction is explained, but in this, it just feels bizarre

And yet, not so bizarre as Sponge Bob, so we go with it

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 06 2012 at 1:42pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Ah, the good old days of Little Bear and Bob the Builder....

SpongeBob is one of my kids favorite contraband shows to watch. Whenever I leave them with my mom, she puts it on for them . Then she gets upset when I don't want to leave them with her again....

Family gatherings really do become un-fun for me, having to be the TV police. Everyone else is having a grand time, and I am having to pull my kids away from the TV, which causes a scene and confirms everyone's opinion that I am a religious freak and homeschooling weirdo . Which I probably am... but if that is what it takes to protect my kids from having to watch people getting blown up or grown men spinning in circles wearing fairy wings, so be it.

I can really tell a difference when my kids watch TV...
they lose their ability to amuse themselves, for one thing, and my ds also sleeps much more fitfully. With all those images going through his mind, it's not hard to see why.

Also, when my kids stay with my parents in the evening, I have a devil of a time getting them out. They are tired, in a TV slump, and they invariably carry on about wanting to stay to see the end of whatever show they are watching. It;s not pleasant.

My dh travels a lot, so I do rely on my parents' help watching the kids when I have an appt. or an evening meeting. I am grateful for their help, just so frustrated by the whole TV thing. I suppose, overall, my dc watch much less TV than do other kids, but you only have to see a dead body once on CSI to have that image in your mind for a long time.

Ironically, when I was young my mom wouldn't let me see the original Star Wars- it was too violent!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 06 2012 at 3:48pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Thanks for that article, Nancy. I can't stand SpongeBob because it's such potty humor.

We do biweekly allergy shots and are victim to the darn TV. And we have to wait 20 minutes after the shot. The boys are such zombies when they watch. I always turn it way down. I have to admit it's the noise that really bothers and agitates me. I don't like the choices on the TV, but I'd at least don't want to hear it! People don't realize how they "compete" to be louder than the TV. I'm sensitive to noises, and this always pushes me over the edge.

Most of the new cartoons have a faster refresh rate or more strips per second than other slower shows, like Mister Rogers. So that affects the eyes and brain. I often have wondered if watching Bill Nye is harmful because it changes so often -- too much rapid movement.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version