Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Books you didn't like Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 31 2012 at 6:22am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Tracy, I just finished writing an essay on Swallows and Amazons, on exactly the themes you articulate! We love those books (I'm reading We Didn't Mean to Go to Sea, my personal favorite, to my 8yo right now). All the fiddling about does get tedious, and the dialogue drives my husband insane for some reason -- I guess because it's largely so neither-here-nor-there, and so much about sailing -- but I think they're worth hanging in there for, if for nothing else than to give children an imaginative vision of what childhood can be like.

I don't think the camping-and-sailing-alone business -- which might have been a stretch for the average 1930s child, too -- is as important as the idea of entrusting children with free time and their own imaginations, which I think our culture does NOT do. If your kids are camping in the back yard, then they're doing what that book is about, and what they're doing is bound to be larger in their own minds than it looks (just as the lake, the islands, and the shores are a much larger world in the minds of the Swallows).

I wasn't nuts about Milly-Molly-Mandy, either -- I got tired of reading the phrase "little-friend-Susan" over and over, and found the language kind of . . . condescending to children. I don't remember my children disliking it, but I didn't much enjoy it as a read-aloud.

And it has been my great disappointment that none of my children has devoured horse stories the way I did -- but then, they're not begging me for a horse, either, so maybe that's not such a bad thing!

Sally

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 31 2012 at 8:24am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

We are reading Five Little Peppers right now. Reading it aloud is tedious to me, but the boys are enjoying it.

Milly-Molly didn't flow either as a read-aloud, but my boys thought it was funny, especially with the repetition and how she said "Muvver" and "Favver".

I am cheating on the Swallows series, as I purchased the audio book. I just knew I couldn't read it aloud. It's better hearing a British man read it. Oh, and we don't camp or sail.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2012 at 11:04am | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

My children moaned audibly when we would read The Cat of Bubastes. We probably read halfway through and then dropped it,so united we're my children in their dislike! I also had a hard time with Milly Molly Mandy. And we were gifted a boxed set of The Borrowers series from a friend who couldn't wait to get rid of them! LOL! We haven't read them ourselves after that kind of review!

Back to Top View MaryMary's Profile Search for other posts by MaryMary

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 31 2012 at 11:43am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

JennGM wrote:
We are reading Five Little Peppers right now. Reading it aloud is tedious to me, but the boys are enjoying it.

Milly-Molly didn't flow either as a read-aloud, but my boys thought it was funny, especially with the repetition and how she said "Muvver" and "Favver".

I am cheating on the Swallows series, as I purchased the audio book. I just knew I couldn't read it aloud. It's better hearing a British man read it. Oh, and we don't camp or sail.

We did Five Little Peppers as an audio from the library, and I think that books with lots of "voices" to lend themselves to a professional reader.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 31 2012 at 11:55am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

It is h.a.r.d. to read with consistent multiple voices. I've done it with Narnia and Harry Potter (earlier books).. *whew* that was work but also so fun.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

TracyFD
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 31 2012 at 12:06pm | IP Logged Quote TracyFD

Do we have a thread on books that are better on audio?

Sally - great point! Free time + imagination is really the main idea. Kids can go anywhere and do anything with it!

Pinewood Castle
Back to Top View TracyFD's Profile Search for other posts by TracyFD Visit TracyFD's Homepage

Mrs. B
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 10 2012 at 8:46am | IP Logged Quote Mrs. B

DianaC wrote:
We couldn't get through Five Little Peppers and How They Grew. It seems to be on so many reading lists that I expected it to be great. Would it have gotten any better if we continued?

NO, it wouldn't! That is one book I couldn't stand stand to even listen to-let alone read out loud, but my older child just loved them so we used libravox recordings for her. She also loved the bobsy twins and that's another series I couldn't read aloud.

Back to Top View Mrs. B's Profile Search for other posts by Mrs. B

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 10 2012 at 5:06pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Swiss Family Robinson.

Father.

Yikes.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 21 2012 at 11:19am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

SallyT wrote:

We adore LM Boston's The Children of Green Knowe, but have not liked subsequent books in that series nearly so much.

Sally

I only just heard about these books - we saw the movie From Time to Time last week on Netflix streaming, and it's based on one of the Green Knowe books, so I went looking for them. The movie was very good, though there are a few startling scenes which might scare younger children. Maggie Smith and Timothy Spall are both in it.

Karen
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 22 2012 at 9:28am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Oh, I didn't know about that movie. The book is very gentle -- even the scary scene is fairly muted and dreamlike (as I recall -- it's been several years since we last read it). Mostly it's just beautiful, especially the relationship between the little boy and his great-grandmother.

The books are based on an actual house and garden, dating from the 11th century, at a place called Hemingford Gray, on the River Ouse in England. A friend in Cambridge had told us about both the house and the books, but we didn't visit the house until the last year we lived there, on a boat trip we took down the Ouse. Then when we came back to the US, we found the first book, which took us right back! The river and its floods are very much a part of life in that part of England, and they figure significantly in the book.

Anyway, that is an enduring favorite of ours.

Sally

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version