Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Dishwasher or No? Hand washing Routines? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Dana
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 07 2012 at 4:18pm | IP Logged Quote Dana

Well, the powder you just put on top of the detergent. We use liquid detergent and maybe if you just switched that part at least the detergent would have a better chance of dissolving, maybe. Also, they make cleaners (Dishwasher Magic???) that are supposed to clean out the deposits, or you can run a cycle (or two, or three, lol) of the LemiShine powder through. I can't remember what the instructions are and I don't have a bottle on hand .

As for the lack of rinse aid dispenser....beats me.

Wish I could be there to help. I'm so excited for my nephew's FHC! Five days until your second nephew's due date and counting....let's hope he's prompt.    

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 07 2012 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Dana wrote:
Five days until your second nephew's due date and counting....let's hope he's prompt.    

Yes, let's

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2012 at 7:03pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Standing at the sink hand-washing dishes is where I do my deepest thinking! What I need is a secretary to write those thoughts down. :)

Lindsey, we rarely use our dishwasher and for many years I hand-washed dishes after breakfast and dinner. Lately, though, because we are trying not to use so many paper products, I find myself doing a quick load after lunch.

Our rountine in very similar to Servant's. Only recently have I allowed my two oldest (16 and 15) to wash dishes because I am somewhat crazy about clean dishes (and clean clothes, too), but everyone has some kind of kitchen job. So, someone is clearing, wiping, sweeping, putting away dry dishes, taking out the trash and I'm washing, rinsing and stacking. We almost finish at the same time. On a really good night, we might say a rosary while we're doing this. Your children might be a little young for this, but you could start by having them help clear and then add whatever you think they can handle.

I have a double sink but also used a tub for a long time to use less water. Now with the size of my gang I just fill the one side of the sink.

Good luck in your decision.

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

JaysFamily
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 01 2012 at 12:27pm | IP Logged Quote JaysFamily

CrunchyMom wrote:
Recently, I've heard others extoll the benefits of having NO dishwasher.

Our 1990 KitchenAid that came with the house is not getting the dishes clean. The powdered soap is not always dissolving (whereas, it had been consistently), and often, the dishes are dirtier after all is said and done than when they went in

Honestly, rewashing dishes after they come out of the dishwasher dirty (my husband will continue to wash them in dishwasher, REFUSING to accept the truth that a dishwasher just CANNOT remove dirt once the dishwasher has heat sealed it onto the dish ) makes me C.R.A.Z.Y.

It is all I can do not to weep at the overwhelming prospect of it, seriously.

That said, dh tried cleaning the dishwasher with vinegar and baking soda yesterday, and it didn't seem to make a difference. I don't know that I could effectively handle much more "trial and error" that results in hours at the sink washing what seems like every dish we own.

Dh's parents raised 12 children and have never owned a dishwasher.

I, on the other hand, grew up with one and hand washing was something you only did on an individual basis for those few items that couldn't go in the dishwasher.

So, I don't really have much of a reference for a "system" that does not involve the dishwasher. Especially when I do not trust my children to wash the dishes. I barely trust them to unload the dishwasher without breaking everything. Dh is the youngest of 12, so he only remembers washing dishes when there was lots of labor to go around and take turns.

I'm not excited at the prospect of researching a dishwasher right now (or paying for it). I've heard that the Miele is really the only brand that is built to last anymore, with even Bosch now being made in China, but that is major $$$.

I know that the only way to really know is to just try it, but I'm interested in hearing the experiences of others, either how they love their dishwashers, went for years without one and now would do without, or how you've always had one, and now you love washing by hand. Or maybe you would not have gone without when your children were still small? Also, what "systems" do you use for hand washing?

Try using Lemishine and Dishwasher Magic in the same load together, and using Lime-Away about once a month. They will combat the hardwater deposits on your dishes and in your dishwasher.

I'm also interested in trying Sodasan Organic Decalcifier to see if that will work as an option since we're trying to eliminate harmful chemicals from our cleaning products.

Jaysfamily
wife to Jay
mother to DS(5)
Back to Top View JaysFamily's Profile Search for other posts by JaysFamily

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 02 2012 at 7:39am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

The drain for the kitchen sink has been slow since we moved here, and the dishwasher has always backed up into the sink. I think we've decided that we need to fix the drain, and then perhaps the dishwasher will recover. In the meantime, I've been hand washing, and it isn't awful, but I wouldn't MIND having a working dishwasher

However, the sink started leaking (the drain part that sits in the sink was loose), and dh fixed it last night and snaked the drain in the process, but the drain is still slow, so the clog must be further down in the crawl space . Not sure when dh will be up for that project, so I may be hand washing a while longer.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 24 2012 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I know that everyone has been on the edge of their seats waiting to see how we resolved our dishwasher issues

Back in August, we impulsively decided to take out the wall between the kitchen and dining room. I was pretty stressed about the work and unplanned expense involved, but it really is SO much better already.

BUT, I think what excited me EVEN MORE was that dh fixed the drain. Well, he ended up replacing around 20 feet of drain. The galvanized pipe had been reacting with the high iron in the water for the past 55 years, clinging to every bit of gunk in the water, until dh discovered upon removal that he couldn't even fit his pinky through the space that was left in the drain pipe

The new drain is AMAZING. I mean, it DRAINS

And, the dishwasher works again

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 24 2012 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Did he replace with PVC pipe?

Your dh is truly amazing. And I'm so glad you didn't need to buy a new d/w.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 24 2012 at 9:14am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

JennGM wrote:
Did he replace with PVC pipe?

Your dh is truly amazing. And I'm so glad you didn't need to buy a new d/w.

Yes, PVC. So, I think that it ended up costing around $30 since he did the work!

He IS amazing. Sometimes I'm terribly ungrateful and complain about the unfinished projects, but what he is able to do is such a blessing

Marcia
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 26 2012 at 2:46pm | IP Logged Quote Marcia

wow impressive! Isn't it great when you have patience? LOL

I went about 9 months last year with no dishwasher and decided in my 7th month of pregnancy that I needed one. :) I didn't go high end like I wanted...but am happy with one that works. But I have a feeling that it would be good for me to suggest some pipe cleaning from my dh too!

I wonder why
Back to Top View Marcia's Profile Search for other posts by Marcia

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 13 2013 at 10:19am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I use our dishwasher. All the time. So I know I really want to keep having one.

The repairman just left with a hefty estimate, so we're probably going to replace rather than repair. But are there any good brands anymore?

Betsy, you mentioned that Bosch was horrible?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 13 2013 at 10:33am | IP Logged Quote jawgee

JennGM wrote:
But are there any good brands anymore?

Not in my experience.    I always thought Maytag was the best, but I haven't had good luck with them.

We'll be on the market for another dishwasher soon. We use ours a LOT. I haven't found one that can last more than 5-6 years in our family.

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 13 2013 at 10:35am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Sadly, this one was only 3 years!!!!

The repairman said the energy efficiency now makes a dishwasher only last a short while. 8 years is a blessing, 5-6 years is average.

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 13 2013 at 11:11am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

JennGM wrote:
I
Betsy, you mentioned that Bosch was horrible?

We are going on 6 years including one hefty repair!    At one time I had heard that Miele was very good but the price is $$$$$ and I am going off 6 year old information.

FWIW, the Bosch probably isn't any better or worse than other brands---it's just so sad that all appliance are consider disposable. Or, created for the families that mostly eat out or eat frozen meals.

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 13 2013 at 12:28pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

I'm another total dishwasher devotee. Too many years without one. Nobody in my house finds hand-washing a meditative experience, I'm afraid!

We *had* a bottom-of-the-line KitchenAid, two years old, which I loved . . . except that it had a computer panel, and the switches kept shorting out, and the whole motherboard would have to be replaced. The motor was great, everything about the dishwasher was great -- except what controlled its functioning. While it was still under factory warranty, we went through . . . three? four? . . . motherboards. When that expired, we bought the Sears extended warranty, which taught us mainly that any sentence beginning with, "We bought the Sears . . . " would end, ". . . and they told us they could send out a repair person in March of 2016."

Anyway, long story short, my husband canceled the Sears warranty when depending on them meant waiting ages for a repairman, and we called a local appliance guy, who told us that for the price of replacing the motherboard, we could buy a cheap GE washer without any computerized components, and it would get our dishes clean and not break. Our electrician/all-around-master-handyman friend who had put in the first dishwasher after another Sears-related drama said the same thing, specifically emphasizing GE over Whirlpool or Maytag. In fact, his experience with Maytag had been that that particular brand had really deteriorated in quality. This is someone whose word and common sense I would absolutely trust, by the way -- his was a valuable second opinion after we'd talked to the first repairman.

So we bought the cheapest GE model on the market, and he put it in for us. It's only been about four months, but so far it works fine (the KA had already been through a motherboard by its fourth month), though it's significantly louder than the KitchenAid. It's not a low-water model, either, which I'm sorry about -- my KA felt so virtuous! -- but on the other hand, it washes a lot faster.

I too hate this planned obsolescence thing, but from now on I'm definitely buying cheap and functional over Energy-Star-rated or quiet or anything else, at least when it comes to dishwashers. The bells and whistles just don't seem worth it at all. -- they just seem to exist for something to go wrong with them, expensively. I don't know how much wear we'll get out of the GE, but right now it's a workhorse.

Sally

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 13 2013 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

It's funny about these repairman. They do share opinions. My guy loves Frigidaire (same as Electrolux), even though that's the one that is broken here!

He said GE is rumored to be leaving the appliances division for good. We had a GE before and it was so loud! I don't want one. He concurs with your guy on Maytag and Whirlpool. He said the cost of replacement parts tripled with Whirlpool.

He didn't recommend Bosch because getting parts takes a month.
And no LG.
So on his repair end, that makes sense. But it doesn't leave much. I'm at a loss.

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 13 2013 at 1:00pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

It's unfortunate that all the energy efficiency standards don't take into account the energy requirements (and waste of materials! and money!) of needing a new machine every few years instead of every 20 years.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 13 2013 at 1:08pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

organiclilac wrote:
It's unfortunate that all the energy efficiency standards don't take into account the energy requirements (and waste of materials! and money!) of needing a new machine every few years instead of every 20 years.

A pet peeve of mine as well!

Now that we've figured out it was our drain that was the problem and not the dishwasher itself, we feel fortunate to have our older model kitchen aid. No motherboarrd to speak of, just a dial and two push buttons. Fwiw, we see these at our local Habitat for Humanity Restore all the time because people buy "matching" appliances when they remodel these days. It seems that paying $100 for an older model could be the best value these days!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 13 2013 at 1:30pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

That's what we decided to do for our washing machine. A used model that can likely be repaired for a while will end up lasting longer for the same money (initial cost plus minor repairs) than a new one.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 13 2013 at 3:36pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Oh, I hadn't even thought about the Re-Store when we were replacing the KitchenAid! Wish I had. But I do love the basic dial thing. I also like that we don't turn it on every time we lean against it, which we're always doing, since we more or less live in the kitchen.

Jenn, our GE is definitely louder than the KitchenAid, but I'm writing this in the kitchen right now while it's running, and it's certainly not deafening. A noise, but not super loud to my ears. We eat in the kitchen with it running and aren't bothered by it, but maybe we just have a high threshold for this kind of thing.

Right now it's music to my ears, having not run for a week while our water heater was dead. This time Sears was not involved, but it was still a kind of Sears-like week, as we wrangled with various parties to get it replaced. Home warranties: good on one level, especially when you have an old house with old fixtures, but maddening on another. Anyway, piece by piece we're creating a new house here . . .

So far we've been able to keep the elderly washer, dryer, fridge, and range/oven going. I've never in my life had new appliances, other than these two dishwashers, and one wasteful wanton part of me would like the old things to die, because I"d love to pick out my own appliances for once. On the other hand . . . well, they've worked all these years, and I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to say that about anything I would replace them with. So I am reminded to be grateful for what I have.

Sally

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 26 2013 at 9:11pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Jenn, how do you like your new washer?

A year later, and I think we may have to actually replace ours. We'll see what dh wants to do. The soap stopped dissolving well, so dh decided to clean the filter, and we think a little piece of plastic or glass or something fell into the motor Potentially a difficult repair.

The homeowners accidentally showed up while we were first viewing the house, and the son who grew up in the house and was facilitating the sale for his elderly mother was gushing about how the house was in great shape and nothing would need to be replaced for at least a year. That wasn't exactly true , but even now we joke, "Yeah, but after a year EVERYTHING has to be replaced AT ONCE!!!" as one by one appliances, hardware, etc... start to show their age.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version