Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Frumpiness Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
kristina
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 28 2006 at 11:38pm | IP Logged Quote kristina

Do you wear makeup every day?

No, only when our van leaves our driveway with me in it. If my husband is driving, I do my makeup in the car to save time. The other exception would be if we have guests visiting then I do a bit of primping.   

Do you wear your hair long or short and if you prefer it a certain way, why?

Medium. My husband likes it short. I am in desperate need of a cut and highlight, but have not yet made the time. I just keep trimming my own bangs.

If you are old enough to have grey hair, do you color it? At home or in the salon?

My grey is getting worse. My husband even commented on it recently - teasingly.
I tried to color at home last fall. It was a fiasco. It gave my hair a reddish tint which was the worst for my skintone and did a number on the texture of my hair. Never again. I would rather go to the salon less often than wreck it again.

How much time do you spend on personal appearance in general each day?

At home days are about 30 seconds. If I am home, I brush my hair and put it up in a clip. No makeup because no one really cares whether I wear it. Also, my husband prefers kisses without lipstick so I do not put it on to greet him when he arrives home. Most of the time, my beauty routine is to hide the frumpiness when we go anywhere. If I do my makeup, our kids always ask where we are going.

When I am to be seen by others, I take about 15 minutes to get ready.   I wash my hair every other day. On days that I wash, I give a light blowdry and curl with a curling iron at least to the bangs. On non-wash days, I actually use hot rollers. It takes all of two minutes to roll. I can do some other task for five minutes while they set and they take about 30 seconds to undo. It is the best quick fix when my hair is unruly and in need of a trim.

For makeup it takes about 3 minutes. I wash my face in the shower with a gentle aveeno facial scrub. I need to swipe clarifying lotion then moisturizer before doing any foundation or it will pull. I even have the trial sizes of the toner and moisturizer in the go bag of the car so if I did not get a chance to prepare my skin I can do it then. First I dot a few dots of concealer on my dark circles. (If I don't I am asked if I am sick or tired, really..) I either use a sheer foundation and light dusting of loose powder or a compact powder foundation. On rushed days or just heading to the store at night I only put on mascara and something light on my lips. For Sunday best I do a bit of light eyeshadow and maybe a dot of blush. If I am really going all out I do simple black powder eyeliner with the press-n-wiggle brush.

Those of you with little ones, do you find it easier to wake up before the children to bathe or shower or wait until they are asleep?

I have stolen a shower when the children are still sleeping, but not as often as I could. My mom comes by once a week and I often shower while she visits. Lately our 2yo daughter has been hopping in the shower with me so I know she is out of trouble.

There have been times postpartum when I felt that fixing up would help me feel less frumpy. These days I reserve primping for when I am seen in public because of the reflection that it has on our family. I remember hearing a tape of Kimberly Hahn's where she mentioned that how a woman keeps herself is a reflection of her husband's good decision to marry his wife. That is just a little thought that I sort of take that to heart in regards to personal care.    

yesterthoughts
Back to Top View kristina's Profile Search for other posts by kristina

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 29 2006 at 12:14am | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Rebecca wrote:

Here are my specific questions for you all (for give me that some are personal--feel free to ignore those that are at all inappropriate ):

If you are old enough to have grey hair, do you color it? At home or in the salon?

Those of you with little ones, do you find it easier to wake up before the children to bathe or shower or wait until they are asleep?

I wear mascara every day - I look totally dead without it!

i wear my hair a medium length - I like long and dh likes short so we compromise. I like a wash and wear style, personally, and I find I can ring in a few changes with medium length hair.

I get highlights put into my hair every few months - usually at a salon but this month I decied for a gothic look and went dark red, coloured it at home. At first I didn't recognize myself in the mirror but I like the different look for a change. I only started colouring my hair two years ago, when I started to notice a few grey hairs at the hairline.

I have my routines down pat and spend just a little time each morning and evening on personal care. I also wear nail polish, but only natural/clear so tough ups are not too frequent!

When mine were little, I used to get up and get dressed and put on mascara and do my hair after the early morning feed. Yes, I wear mascara even when working out.

Of course, if I had a sleepless night with littlies, these routines went by the wayside...

Don't be too hard on yourself - you look gorgeous in your pic!

ShawnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 29 2006 at 11:11am | IP Logged Quote ShawnaB

humanaevitae wrote:

I've found that I seem to yell more when my hair is dirty or I haven't put it up, I'm wearing ill-fitting clothes, a bra is poking me, my teeth haven't been brushed recently, etc...
When it comes down to it, losing weight makes me feel the best...!

I SO relate to this!!!! Especially the pokey bra part!

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 29 2006 at 2:07pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

ShawnaB wrote:
humanaevitae wrote:

I've found that I seem to yell more when my hair is dirty or I haven't put it up, I'm wearing ill-fitting clothes, a bra is poking me, my teeth haven't been brushed recently, etc...
When it comes down to it, losing weight makes me feel the best...!

I SO relate to this!!!! Especially the pokey bra part!

Bra? What bra?    Just kidding...I am due for some that fit better also!
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 29 2006 at 2:09pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Rebecca wrote:

That would require bra shopping with several small children in tow. Who's up for that ?

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 29 2006 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Elizabeth wrote:
Rebecca wrote:

That would require bra shopping with several small children in tow. Who's up for that ?

I have a lady who fits special bras made by Coalesce Couture (sp?). I switched to her brand 6 years ago and never looked back. I am not huge, but cannot find the right fit in the stores, and underwire hurt!

These fit for pregnancy, nursing and they are supportive with no underwire. Now they aren't always beautiful...but the lift and support make you look good. Women that are more endowed or heavy nursing will find this a God-send! She lives outside of Manassas, and can schedule to come to your home or a friends to be fitted. It's a little like a Tupperware party, but practical. I go to her house for an "alone" fitting.

No, I don't make commission, just one happy customer. If you live nearby and want to give it try, PM. My one sister says it's the only nursing bra she likes.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

esperanza
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 29 2006 at 2:18pm | IP Logged Quote esperanza

JennGM wrote:

Tammy, Her name wouldn't happen to be Sandra? If so, she does a rotation at my sister's house.

No, her name is Angie and she is usually at the Van De Voorde's when in Manassas.

Tammy Gonzalez in VA
dh-Johnny
mom to Tara-'85, Noelle-'88, Jeremy-'91, Elizabeth-'93, Emma-'96, Dominic-'99, Gabriel-'01, Elijah-03
and Jacinta-06
Back to Top View esperanza's Profile Search for other posts by esperanza

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 29 2006 at 3:32pm | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Angie Mc wrote:

I have fair skin, blue eyes, and darkish brown wavy hair that is decidedly graying.

Angie,
We are twins, separated at birth! As far as the gray, there certainly are more of them all the time, and recently my husband asked if I still plucked them out. I stared at him. "Are you insane? That way lies madness." There are too many now ....

Angie Mc wrote:
I'm at the "feeling frumpy 2" stage.

That must put me at the fourth stage, as my youngest is almost four, and I still feel frumpy. It's mostly because I can't lose the last few pounds that I lost with my earlier kids/pregnancies. (Of course, this has NOTHING to do with my chocolate obsession. It's all those carrots I eat.) I feel as I don't look AWFUL for a 46-year old mother who has borne three children and been pregnant six other times ... but couldn't I look a *little* better?

I don't like to spend lots of time on my appearance, but I do have a routine I follow on most days -- but remember, no babies here!

I usually shower before my husband leaves for work and before the kids are up (or, if the youngest is up, she's fine with him while I shower.) I dry my hair, and spend about one minute with a curling iron, but then I don't do anything with it the rest of the day.

I quit wearing foundation years ago, but still use a little powder, blush, earth-toned eye shadow and mascara. Vaseline is my lipstick.

I do all of this pretty quickly and I love to be ready for the day before the kids are up. I try to make sure this routine happens if I know we're going to an activity or somewhere else that day. BUT, if it's an at-home day, I'm more lax, esp. in the clothing department. I wear really comfy stuff around the house, and I don't always feel ready to be seen by a neighbor or the mailman or whoever might ring the bell .... (blogged about that here.)

Going out, the "uniform" is khakis/black pants/capris, etc., varying colors of T-shirts (tailored, not the oversized kind) or turtlenecks, or one of the cute shirts that my sister (between us, she's the one with the good taste) has sent me. It's been a long time since I cared much about fashion, though it used to be quite important to me. These days, my goals are simple: I try to look as if I live in the current century and am not a complete geek (just a partial one, I guess. )

I cut my own hair, don't color it (too high-maintenance for me ... I just don't want to have to do it that often) and have been alternating between a medium length haircut (easier to pull back) and a shorter, flippy thing (quicker to dry, but doesn't feel like me, so I'm letting it grow out a bit again.)

You, Rebecca, are gorgeous and I'll bet you look beautiful no matter what you do with your hair and make-up. It is true that the frumpies predictably set in at certain stages post-partum ... hang in there. This, too, shall pass.

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

abcmommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 29 2006 at 4:51pm | IP Logged Quote abcmommy

I wear makeup most days.
I wear my hair mid length, so I can put it up. It looks better out of my face.
I do not have grey hair but like to have highlighting done in a salon.
Its taking me about 30 mins to get ready lately.

the "adult" uniform:

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ShowOrderCom ponent?catGroupId=5340&mainImagePath=%2Fproducts%2Foutfits%2 F5340%2F5340.jpg&from=OV&cat4=null&feat=mm-wo&storeId=1&cata logId=1&langId=-1&cg_0=42611&cg_1=44892&cg_2=40826

only, I wear polos, sleeveless polos, v neck and scoop necks instead of jewel necks and I sub in skirts if I wont be sitting on the ground.
Back to Top View abcmommy's Profile Search for other posts by abcmommy

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 29 2006 at 5:49pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Quote:

Most days yes. A light coating of foundation evens out my skin tone and provides me with sun protection. Mascara is a must and I always have something on my lips or they will chap.

Quote:

I wear it long but layered. If I don't layer it it gets too heavy and won't do anything when I wear it down and gives me a headache when I wear it up.

Quote:

I am old enough but I haven't seen any yet - then again my hair is blondish so I may just not be noticing them. I love highlights but am too cheap to have them done professionally and never get good results doing it myself so I haven't done them for a while. I get nice natural highlights in the summer.

Quote:

5 to 10 minutes. If I'm in the mood and have time I will curl my hair with the curling iron. That takes about 15 minutes but will hold for up to 3 days. . .except in the summer when the humidity is high, then I don't bother because it won't stay anyway. I pretty much always wear my hair up in a twist in the summer.

Quote:

I prefer to shower or bath at night after the little ones are in bed. it doesn't always work out that way though so somtimes it's in the morning. of course i have lots of big helpers so i'm not really a good example.

Quote:
I really appreciate any insight or tips you can give me on how you find time for your appearance

I think time spent pulling yourself together is time well spent. It makes you feel better and gives you a good start on the day.

God bless!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 29 2006 at 6:16pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

esperanza wrote:
JennGM wrote:
Tammy, Her name wouldn't happen to be Sandra? If so, she does a rotation at my sister's house.

No, her name is Angie and she is usually at the Van De Voorde's when in Manassas.

I wouldn't have thought that there were two travelling stylists for homeschooling moms in the same area! Well, your sister does a wonderful service for these moms!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 29 2006 at 6:53pm | IP Logged Quote LisaD

Rebecca wrote:

For those of you using mineral make-up, is it like a finishing powder or does it add color as well? I would like to find out more about this product. Where do you find it?

Bare Minerals is the brand I use. We have a store out here out west called Ulta that carries it.

I first heard of mineral makeup for people recovering from plastic surgery (bil is a plastic surgeon). It is excellent for very sensitive skin, and looks very natural. I bought a starter kit for about $40 that came with a DVD that showed how to apply it.

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 29 2006 at 9:16pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Oh this is just like high school where I used to sit around with my girlfriends and brush each others hair and talk about make-up. I SOOOO needed this conversation. Thank you all so much who have responded. It really means the world to me!

Big cyberhugs !

Love,
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 03 2006 at 1:08am | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Coming in late to the conversation....

Rebecca, I was just thinking the same thing!! And, where can you find wonderful homeschooling resources, great book recommendations, and invaluable faith sharing and ideas, and at the same time talk about clothes and makeup!! I just love this group! I just sat and read every word of this thread! You are all beautiful!!

3 weeks postpartum....but my "beauty" routine isn't much different regardless...and I made the classic mistake of trying to wear one of my normal shirts the other day...depressing...I did get on a pair of my regular jeans today...hallelujah!!

Make-up - not much, but needed, especially the undereye concealer stuff...would need a lesson on how to actually use it! I will do some mascara and lipstick for special occasions.

Hair - longer with layers - I do splurge on a pretty good cut, but only get one several times a year - I feel best when I blow-dry and curl it, and, thankfully, I can get away with two washings a week.

A few grey hairs...but really, really trying to ignore those!

I'm on a roll...for two days in a row I have gotten up with the kids (rather than sleeping in a few more hours while they watch T.V. or play) and showered and dressed! This from the gal who likes to spend at-home days in her pajamas and if needing to go out will take a shower 15 minutes before we're supposed to be there! Not very peace-producing! I'm telling you, these past two days have been great - who knew!

I agree with Michelle, time spent pulling ourselves together is time spent well. I know I really do feel much better overall when my hair is done and I have an actual outfit on.

Oh, and I think a pedicure, done professionally or by self, just makes me feel better overall.

Here's to a frumpy-free spring!

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

Mari
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 18 2006 at 8:44am | IP Logged Quote Mari

I have never worn makeup in my life (except I put on a tiny bit of lipstick and blush when I got married!
I don't know why I did!

Changes every decade! Short is simple and easy to wash everyday. Long is easy to tie up but takes longer to dry (I just let it dry naturally) so I have to make sure not to wash it close to bed time. Now dd 8 tells me that short is best because you waste less shampoo!

Not there yet - but maybe soon. I really think I would leave it as it is. Apart from feeling more comfortable with my real appearance, I would hate to think of all the chemicals that I could be absorbing through my scalp.....

Just the time to wash my face and whisk a comb through my hair. As my 8 year old DD jokes, you probably get better results spending the saved time giving a beautiful smile! But I am attracted to water...shower in the morning and bath in the evening.

When they were small we shared a bath together! Daily baths are my luxury. I have pondered over most things in life soaking away in there.

This is all really fun! No one has asked me all these questions before

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2006 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

Rebecca wrote:

Yes, I wear a light foundation, mascara, eyeliner and lipgloss. I feel more dressed that way and I think it is important to make the best of myself for the kids. I get my eyebrows waxed once a month and that helps my appearance a lot. I was pretty good about getting my nails done every other week but I left off doing that. Now I just use clear polish and keep them filed nice.
Rebecca wrote:

I had hair down to my shoulder blades and in a recent trip to the salon for a trim I had one of those "crazy pregnancy moments" and said "cut it off - I can't stand it." No it is a layered, chin length bob. I haven't had short hair in about 10 years so it is a big change. I actually like it because my hair is pretty curly and that makes it easy to style. A little spray on curling lotion and two minutes with the blow dryer (with a diffuser) and I'm done.
Rebecca wrote:

This year a few grey hairs have shown up. I have never colored my hair before and I'm not interested in it yet.
Rebecca wrote:

About 30 minutes total. I shower in the morning before the kids get up. If the little ones are up I tuck them into my bed and put a DVD on for them. Thomas the Tank Engine can make my morning routine go much more smoothly. I shower, moisturize - this pregnancy has resulted in super dry skin, make-up, hair and dressing. The dressing is becoming difficult. I can't reach my feet (or see them) and my belly is outgrowing a lot of my maternity tops. The twins are growing well. I have a denim jumper I wear often but I look like a barge about to set sail in it. I try not to wear it out of the house too much. I just ordered a few new things in a size up to wear when I venture out the door. I am also outgrowing shoes pretty quickly. My varicose veins are resulting in very swollen legs and feet. I just bought some big, clunky sneakers and I saw the shoe thread so I will be looking through that for sandal ideas. All this slows down the "getting dressed" part of the routine.

This is a neat thread. I've enjoyed it alot.

Tales from the Bonny Blue House
O Night Divine
Back to Top View MEBarrett's Profile Search for other posts by MEBarrett Visit MEBarrett's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: May 19 2006 at 12:12am | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Rebecca wrote:

I never chimed in on this when the topic first came up, but I thought I'd add something fitting now. I have colored my hair since I was 25 or so. I found my first gray hairs at 16! My dad was completely gray by age 30 or so, so I could see the handwriting on the wall . . . .

Sometimes I wonder if it's the best thing, although I think I am way too young to be completely gray now. Dh has always said he doesn't care one way or another and wouldn't mind if I went natural at some point.

But recently we were out somewhere and saw a family in which the mom of a toddler was just about completely gray. From behind, she definitely looked like the grandmother and not the mother. Dh leaned over and whispered to me, "I'm really glad you color your hair!" That settles it for me for the time being.

Oh, and I do it at home. I use L'Oreal . . . because I'm worth it!

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 19 2006 at 7:07am | IP Logged Quote LLMom

I am almost 40 and showing quite a bit of gray. It has never bothered me until a few people lately have commented on it. Why is being old so terrible?   The Bible says its our crown of wisdom. Also, I think if a woman has a toddler and a baby with gray hair that that is a wonderful testimony for older moms having babies. NOw you might get asked if its your grandbaby, but oh, well. A chance to witness the wonders of being a seasoned mother.

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

Taffy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 19 2006 at 10:42am | IP Logged Quote Taffy

LLMom wrote:
NOw you might get asked if its your grandbaby, but oh, well. A chance to witness the wonders of being a seasoned mother.

I've been on again and off again with covering the grey but had to share this anecdote...

I've been going grey since 16 and had quite a bit the year I turned 30. I was in one of my "natural colour" phases at the time. The very week that I hit the "BIG 3-0" I was in a large shopping mall with my (then) 2 boys ages 5 and 2 and was in an elevator. An elderly lady was with us and innocently asked if I was babysitting the grandchildren that day!

I still am on-again off-again regarding the hair colour but I did colour quite quickly after that comment!

Back to Top View Taffy's Profile Search for other posts by Taffy

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 29 2006 at 4:40am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Helen has an excellent post today about frumpiness and modest dressing in a style becoming Our Lady. This has been on my mind lately as I take out the spring clothes and look at what I have and what I need and how things fit this year.

Yesterday I came across a book I bought myself for my birthday back in January. It's called Younger By the Day: 365 Ways to Rejuvenate your Body and Revitalize Your Spirit. It's a thought-a-day type of book about feeling better about your appearance and little things you can do to keep it up. Unfortunately, I haven't been reading it (and here it is May!), but I opened this morning to today's page and the subject of the day is Avoid Dowdy Even at Home. Since it's really early and I have my coffee here, I'm going to type in what it says, because I for one can easily become Frannie in the pink sweats if I am not careful! Food for thought anyway. It can be hard to find a balance between comfortable and pretty, when most days I'm just at home with the kids.

From the book:

"These are the synonyms my thesaurus gives for dowdy: bedraggled, drab, dumpy, frumpy, slovenly, stodgy, tacky and unkempt. Seeing them all lined up makes it obvious why dowdy is dangerous. It's a way for someone twenty to look old and for someone forty to look decrepit. Every time you allow yourself to sink to that state, you feel, consciously or not, drab, frowzy, frumpy and the rest. This is the way someone feels who is too old or feeble or unwell to care, and our plan is to go spunkily into the triple digits without getting that old.

Few of us show our dowdy selves to the larger world - not on purpose anyway - but many of us revert there when we are on our own turf. We confuse dowdy with relaxed, casual, and taking it easy, those states of mind and body for which home is best known and most treasured. We all need to go home, get out of constricting attire, shed constrictive attitudes, and be fully ourselves. We just don't want to start thinking of our true selves as "tacky, bedraggled and slovenly," believing that we can clean up pretty well for public view but are, in essence, "unkempt, dumpy and stodgy." No. You want to see your core self as relaxed and comfortable, easygoing and informal, spontaneous and at ease with herself, but not dowdy or anything like it.

Some ways to avoid the frumpy-frumpy-dumpy trap are:

* Determine your casual style. How can you feel comfortable and unencumbered but still pleased with yourself when you walk by a mirror?

* Turn anything threadbare, impossibly stained or irreparably ripped into cleaning rags, quilt squares or a contribution to the Dumpster.

* Buy a few clothes earmarked for wear at home, so your domestic wardrobe won't be confined to garments retired from active duty.

* Appreciate the beauty of your face without makeup and experiment with ways you can wear just a hint of it to feel both unpretentious and pretty. For one woman that's a little lip gloss, for another a bit of tinted moisturizer and a touch of mascara, for someone else a pat of powder on the nose.

* Assess your relationship with the elastic waist and the drawstring. Some women love their comfort; others feel sloppy with that much room for expansion.

Rejuvenate yourselve with action: Go through the clothes you wear only at home. Discard anything that has gone beyond the pale."

I see tomorrow's thought is "Become Classy Every Day", so I might just keep reading!   

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version