Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Socks and Shoes with Summer Skirts Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 24 2012 at 3:26pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I've been avoiding buying summer shoes for some time now. I have a pair of Birkenstocks (that have seen better days) and a dressier but flat pair of black slip ons that I've been relying on for church.

If I need to be extra dressed up, I wear a pair of simple brown leather mary janes. They are not comfortable for every day wear, though, like a museum, mall, or hike in the woods.

I think I need a crossover pair of shoes. I wear mostly skirts, and no offense to anyone who thinks differently, but I think that sneakers look silly with skirts.

I was thinking of Keen mary janes or maybe Sketchers. If you wear this kind of shoe, what kind of sock do you wear with it, especially with skirts? Do you just buy the kind that is supposed to disappear in the shoe?

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 24 2012 at 3:36pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I got a nice mary jane style from landsend.. and I know they say to wear socks with it.. but I don't.. I find them quite comfy that way and I think makes a nicer look with skirts and definately more summery than socks.

For socks all I can picture with mary janes is the fold over tops with lace around the edge.. cute when you're 5 but..

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 24 2012 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

what about those Keens that were posted the other day.. I know that was for kids but don't they make those in women's sizes?

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 24 2012 at 3:48pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Oh another shopping strategy. You want a shoe for active things so.. why not go to someplace like Sierra Trading Post or REI outlet and look at women's sandals.. switch to lowest price first (might as well find the lowest price ones you like first huh?) and see what's there.. for instance I found These or These at STP

-Sir Walter Scott

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 24 2012 at 3:57pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I really need a non-sandal option, I think. My Birkenstocks will have to make as an every day sandal for now.

I want something that will be kind to my foot like a sneaker but will look cuter than a sneaker.

I like this, but its pricey.

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2012 at 4:00pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

I wear Keen mary janes with no socks. When the weather is cooler, I have worn them with longer skirts and knee socks, but I mostly wear them sock-free. The ones I have are Calistogas, but it looks like they don't make those anymore.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 24 2012 at 4:00pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JodieLyn wrote:
what about those Keens that were posted the other day.. I know that was for kids but don't they make those in women's sizes?

Yes. And I have a pair (in striking lime green ). Great for outside - hiking, gardening, general walking. They aren't the most flattering casual shoe style with a skirt, but they do work with a casual skirt for out and about.

Then, I have another pair of Mary Janes that are a little nicer for errands, weekday Mass, appointments. They look almost girly in the picture, but when worn, they just look feminine. They're wonderfully comfortable, very feminine, and I like how they work with a tremendous variety of skirted outfits - from denim to cotton and flowy, slightly more dressy. It's the kind of shoe I love because I can tackle any terrain, at any speed, carrying any number of children or bags...and feel very supported AND pretty! This might not be as casual as you were looking for in your "in-between" shoe though....

Favorite casual Mary Jane shoes with skirts:

Keen Sienna - adorable with a more casual style skirt and very comfortable. No socks needed.

Keen Summer Golden Sandal - Very cute, walkable, perfect for summer.

On socks....
In the heat of the summer, socks are abysmal, so I don't wear them. I wear all my Mary Janes sock-less. Is there a reason for the socks, Lindsay? Do you just prefer socks with shoes? I have a friend who does, and she just wears a lightweight cotton anklet with her shoes and skirts, usually in a cream or white.

For my casual shoes with skirts, I prefer Mary Janes as a style, because they're flat, still feminine, but provide support all around the foot like a sneaker might. In general, I'm willing to pay more for them because I wear them all the time and I usually wear them out.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 24 2012 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

How about This maryjane at landsend

-Sir Walter Scott

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 24 2012 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

JodieLyn wrote:
How about This maryjane at landsend

Aw, that's cute! What a price. Unfortunately, once shoes are that discounted, they rarely have a 9.5

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 24 2012 at 4:14pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Thanks, Jen! How you describe the Keen sandal is what I'm looking for.

I was kind of wanting something that might take me into the Fall and Winter more, but maybe I can switch back to boots out and wellies at home--they're just way too hot in summer.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 24 2012 at 4:18pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

yeah.. I wear an 8.5-9 and those go fast too.

Not as cheap but from what I've seen a good price for keen's keen's mary jane at STP

-Sir Walter Scott

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2012 at 6:28pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

I wear these shoes from payless with knee highs.   I find them to be a decent cross between Mary Jane and athletic shoes.
Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 24 2012 at 11:43pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Jambu was my obsession last year at about this time. There are many that look great with crops/capris and skirts! I wore them all the time, and they are holding up great.

I ended up getting COCONUT in Vintage Nude and just wore them for the first time (this year) last week.

Also, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Chaco Hipthongs, which I think I've had for 3 years...this will be my 4th summer in them. It's def. a more casual-look, but no more than a birkenstock. The strappiness of them is so fun and they are very different than a standard flip-flop, not the same at all. They hug your foot, and stay on like crazy. I can run down hills, run, skip, jump in them and they are super-comfy!

Actually I think most of the Chacos are totally cute with skirts, but the flip-flop style is especially cute.

Ugh....I really need to stop writing about summer sandals that I'm really NOT supposed to be wearing without my orthotics....but I JUST CAN"T HELP MYSELF!!!!! They are all so cute!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2012 at 11:55pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

I've gone through several pairs of Mary-Jane-type shoes -- also my favorite non-sandal style (I live in Tevas in hot weather, and wear them everywhere short of Sunday Mass and with everything). I haven't had any crossover-sneaker-type ones, though I do drool over them in the catalogs.

Typically I look for a shoe that I can wear sockless in summer and with thick tights or leggings and socks in cold weather, which means that to have a year-round shoe I end up with black or brown. I have a pair of Born (I think) Mary-Jane mule/slide-style shoes (no back) which I wear year-round. They're cute and pretty comfortable with most things, though I wouldn't wear them hiking. Ditto a pair of black Earth . . . something. The old Earth Shoe brand which Wal-Mart carries. They're cute and comfy for every day, though again I probably wouldn't wear them for an outdoor day at the park. I do wear them year-round, though again, they aren't particularly summery.

Really summery shoes in fun colors -- which I can't remember having had, actually -- would stay summer shoes for me, since it's harder to find socks/tights (not to mention fall/winter clothes) to go with those bright summer colors.

Sally

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2012 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

I will second the recommendation for Chacos. I wore these all summer with all of my skirts.

I personally think that these shoes are the most comfortable that I own, even over a pair of good tennis shoes or Dansko clogs!

Because all of the straps are adjustable, I have been know to stretch their wear into the fall with fun colored socks.

Also, they hold up really, really well. This is my second pair. The first pair I got the year they came out (I still have them) and they are in PERFECT condition after wearing them hard for 7 years. I only got a new pair because most of my clothes are now brown and the black soles didn't match as well.

Grateful in VA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 25 2012 at 8:44am | IP Logged Quote Grateful in VA

Mackfam wrote:
Yes. And I have a pair (in striking lime green ).

I have a pair like these.
I've worn them hiking, at the beach, shopping everywhere....except church

I love them!
Back to Top View Grateful in VA's Profile Search for other posts by Grateful in VA

Amber-v
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 25 2012 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote Amber-v

I have been thinking about the same thing! Yesterday I bought a pair of Keen Golden MJs from 6pm.com. I wanted something more than my somewhat worn Keen sandals and less than my black flats - and something I could wear all day and not regret it! I am eagerly awaiting their arrival.    I am not planning on wearing socks with them - maybe tights if it is cool, but not socks. I just don't like how it looks.

I bought a pair of Lands End Mary Janes (much like the ones linked) two years ago on sale and was very disappointed. They rub terribly on the back of my heel and I have to wear socks for them to be at all comfortable... Which, even with anklet socks, looks a little silly to me. And they are wearing fast too. I just have not been happy with Lands End (for women's clothes at least) at all as of late!

Dana
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 25 2012 at 3:16pm | IP Logged Quote Dana

I'm also looking for new sandals. I've done all I can for my Dansko sandals I've had since college, yeah, there as old as your oldest. Wow. I don't feel so bad about getting new ones now.

Anyway, the last ones I bought, ummm...seven and a half years ago, were from Dansko Outlet and have held up really well. Andre always comments that considering the abuse my shoes endure they did remarkably well. Look in the clogs, too. They have some cute sandal ones in your size. I don't know how they are about returns, but I ordered from them three times and never had any problems with whatever they considered to be a defect in the shoe.

I really like these from Zappos, but the budget just isn't there.   

I actually preferred the Dansko sandals to tennis shoes, and they did fine for everywhere I went (park, zoo, church). Chacos and Keens (I vote Chacos) would probably be better for outdoor/nature stuff. So, yeah, not even sure if I've even helped in that case, but it was good girl chit-chat.

Oh, another tidbit, I find Danskos to be heavier (obviously, being clog type shoes), but I wear out the sides of the soles of my shoes and once I do that they hurt my feet, so Hushpuppies, for example, don't usually last a season. Dansko soles don't wear out on the sides and therefore last a longer time, ummm, seven years. I've also heard complaints that there's not enough toe room in the clogs, but I'm not sure about the sandals. I never had an issue, but I think your foot is wider than mine....at least, my shoes were always wider after you wore them, but that might have more to do with size difference since I'm an 8.5. Sisterly love.   

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 25 2012 at 3:25pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Dana wrote:
as old as your oldest. Wow. I don't feel so bad about getting new ones now.

Pretty sure my Birkenstocks are that old, too. Which is why I'm okay with spending the money on expensive shoes. Its just hard to just do it!

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2012 at 7:55am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

I don't have any great insights (I do my best to stick with sandals all summer and on cold days I have a pair of black slip-on shoes that are brand-less, worn with socks).

But I was thinking about your comment about sneakers and skirts. I agree!

But then I noticed that the Amish women in several circles tend to wear sneakers; it just stands out to me because everything else they wear is SO well-ordered. I am on a yahoo group for learning about the Amish and Mennonites, and sure enough - the topic comes up. Sneakers are just the most comfortable walking shoes (and easiest to find), so they go with it.

It was odd enough when I had to wear sneaker-like white shoes with my nursing-style uniform when I worked for a dermatologist - but my shoes fit right in, so it worked out fine :) (I wore a homemade long scrub skirt, everyone else wore scrub pants)

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version