Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: You never knew this about me.... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 11 2012 at 2:58pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

This is a fun little game that a friend of mine forwarded to me.

what you never knew about me is...
I have a love for animal print fabric. I have leopard print pajamas, slippers , gloves and even a coat!

I found the coat on clearance last year at Kohls for $8 and just had to buy it. It is light weight and belted,
but, I'm telling you, it has really thrown people for a loop.

I wore it one day to dash over to my parents house, and when I walked into their kitchen wearing it and a pair of sun glasses, my dad called out to my mom, "Mother, there's a lady here!" and said to me, "Can I help you?" He did not recognize me!

And I have had people ask me if they could touch the coat just to feel the fabric.

I do find that a little goes a long way with animal prints, and I don't really like the snake skin or holstein look, but it is fun to wear a scarf or a pair of gloves that are unexpected.

OK- so now what did we never know about you?

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 11 2012 at 3:48pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

That is so funny that your dad didn't recognize you! I have a pair of leather gloves we bought in Rome, Italy that has a small band of real leopard fur. It felt wild and crazy to buy it -- and very opulent.

Now, let see, what you don't know about me? I have this thing about books.

Oh wait. EVERYONE knows that.

I'll have to keep thinking. I think I'm just an open book and TOTALLY predictable.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 11 2012 at 8:39pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

You don't know that I once played guitar for Ben Vereen and Jeff Goldblum, while Ben sang and Jeff played piano (he is great - cf. "Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eight Dimension").

They were at my high school, filming "Tenspeed and Brownshoe," a TV series, and we were doing a 60's music assembly for the school...and they burst in, took over the stage...it was magic! Happily, the songs they sang were ones I knew well, so I didn't mess up once!

Thanks for letting me share a very special memory!

kristinannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 11 2012 at 9:21pm | IP Logged Quote kristinannie

Speaking of playing with or for famous people...

I was in a small strings group who played at Steve Wynn's New Year's Eve party in Las Vegas. I was 17 and my violin teacher had to say I was 21.      We played for about 15 minutes and I got paid $200! There were so many celebrities there, but the only one I saw was Andre Agassi. My dad got me out of there really quickly when we were done!

Katherine Elizabeth 8 months
Back to Top View kristinannie's Profile Search for other posts by kristinannie

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 11 2012 at 9:46pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

JennGM wrote:

I'll have to keep thinking. I think I'm just an open book and TOTALLY predictable.

Me too!

It's fun reading everyone's stories though! Exciting!

I'll have to sleep on it.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Angi
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 11 2012 at 9:55pm | IP Logged Quote Angi

I was almost run over by the Pope Mobile in 2000 at World Youth Day!
Back to Top View Angi's Profile Search for other posts by Angi

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 11 2012 at 10:20pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

I use to play bass drum in a fife and drum corps when I was in high school. Each July fourth we would perform at the naturalization ceremony at Monticello. Afterwards I would stand at attention and people would have their picture taken next to me, they wanted the bass drummer! I laugh thinking about how many photo albums I'm in of people I don't on wow

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

leanne maree
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2012 at 4:06am | IP Logged Quote leanne maree

This is a great game....

Ok here goes..when I was younger I was heavily into the Scout movement, namely Rovers- 16 years to 25 years and a Cub leader, but the thing that sprung from there was I was introduced to Caving. Speleology. To be premise.
I would worm myself into little caves and holes for hours, discovering gorgeous formations and in the process abseiling, prusseking, generally climbing under the ground. thats my claim to fame...I LOVED IT...

http://leannemaree.blogspot.com/
Back to Top View leanne maree's Profile Search for other posts by leanne maree Visit leanne maree's Homepage

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2012 at 4:16am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Speaking of famous people...
During my stint at Covenant House Faith Community in the late 80's, one of my duties was to organize and book the Priests for the daily Masses at our Community. Fr. Benedict Groeschel was a regular for our Community. He also spent evenings with us. Fr. Daniel Berrigan also came on occasion, which was quite controversial... but it opened the door to the Catholic Worker, where Martin Sheen could be found with Fr. Daniel Berrigan. Fr. Andrew Apostoli also came to celebrate Mass with us. There was a priest from Brooklyn who came whenever we asked. I don't remember his name, because we all called him Fr. Mary, because he spoke only about Mary in his homilies.
This is a reminder for me to pray for our priests, holy ones and troubled ones! This time was really the beginning of my Catholic formation as a young adult. It was NYC and I experienced a very broad Catholic world from left to right , up and down...   crazy.

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2012 at 6:51pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Hmmmmm...this is tricky.

I first thought of saying that Father Pavone had dinner with us in our tiny apartment when our oldest was four months old; we've had dinner with Father Marx, too.

But, then I thought it would be fun to say that I've skied off the top of Mammoth Mountain many times (very steep) and lots of other places in Utah and Colorado. I used to be quite athletic. Not so much anymore.

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2012 at 6:53pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Meant to add that all of the stories above are amazing! The caves, the bands, the priests, the animal prints....who knew!?!?! :)

Come on, Jenn, you can think of something.

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2012 at 8:52pm | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

I have been Barbara McGuigan’s guest on EWTN radio's “The Good Fight” not too long ago. Barbara is just lovely, and I had a blast. I knew I was going to be okay if I didn’t faint or throw up the first five minutes. She wants me be to come back on, we’ll see.

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2012 at 9:59pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

My celebrity story:

In college, I went on a pro-life retreat at the St. Meinrad monastery in Indiana. The keynote speaker was Peter Kreeft. He was wonderful! We were a small group, maybe 40 students? So we really got to talk to him. He even stayed and had dinner with us. I was lucky enough to be at his table, with 4 others. They brought out our dinner - big plates of pasta. Hmm, no silverware... then they came out with these forks and spoons taped together with several chopsticks to make LOOOOOONG "silverware". This was supposed to be a community-building dinner, which meant we were supposed to feed each other with these crazy contraptions! While I did not have the honor of spoon-feeding mostaccoli to Peter Kreeft, my friend Dwight did, and was fed in return. Mr. Kreeft was a very good sport about it, and thankfully they gave us some real silverware after a few minutes, before we managed to ruin each other's clothes!

I also have a cave story, but it's a scary one! When I was 14, I went exploring in a cave with a boy I was friends with, the boy's college-age cousin, and my dad. While we were in the cave, it started pouring outside, and due to the already-high water table (it was in the St. Louis area during the flood of '93) the cave started filling with water. We barely made it out alive. My dad broke his leg in the process. He was the only reason we made it out, though, and he had only come at the last minute, when the boy's mom backed out as chaperone. She was a tiny woman who would never have been able to pull the rest of us up the current like my dad did. Seemed like such a small detail at the time, but if she had been able to come, I wouldn't be here, and neither would my boys!

I don't have an EWTN appearance, but dh has been on "The Journey Home" 5 times! So I guess I live with a celebrity, too.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 12 2012 at 10:51pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I did theatre in high school. All four years. Children's theatre, had parts in several plays, did backstage work. I didn't figure I was good enough to compete at the college level but still took a few classes just for the fun of it.. physical theatre type of stuff including swordfighting, make up. I even took an actual fencing class that I was abyssmal at because I had such a hard time trying to "hurt" the other person But the funniest thing I think is that I grew up with a British (step) Grandmother. So I've heard the accent all my life. Never spoke with it myself but found it fairly easy to pick up for short pieces during classes and such. And then my senior year I was in a community theatre play where the whole thing was done in a British accent. Well I found that I definately pick it up easily. I found it a much more difficult task to drop it afterward Usually there'd be a trigger word, just some word that I was heavily inclined to use the accent on, found it very natural and I would find myself falling into it. This was rather many times.. start with the fact that I went right from the community theatre play to Arsenic and Old Lace at the high school (I was Abby ).. then there was the time I read a report on Lord of the Rings in my english class.. yep.. hit one of those words and found out after class that I apparently read all but the first line or so in a british accent. Then the worst, I hope I was the only one that caught it. But I worked the summer after that year at a camping resort and met with the occational person with a British accent and I would find myself falling into it by conversing with them. I felt so bad because I wouldn't have it and then I would after they'd spoken, I was so afraid someone was going to think I was mocking them.

ETA - one more funny incident abut the accent thing.. I had a very hard time distinguishing when someone was speaking with it or not. I watch a monty python movie in college and after thinking the inflection was a bit odd had the boy next to me say something about the accent being hard to understand... I had missed it was british.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2012 at 11:19pm | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

organiclilac wrote:
My celebrity story:
I don't have an EWTN appearance, but dh has been on "The Journey Home" 5 times! So I guess I live with a celebrity, too.

WOW!! We need to get both of your autographs!! Seriously, though, that is very cool!

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2012 at 11:24pm | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

JodieLyn wrote:
- one more funny incident abut the accent thing.. I had a very hard time distinguishing when someone was speaking with it or not. I watch a monty python movie in college and after thinking the inflection was a bit odd had the boy next to me say something about the accent being hard to understand... I had missed it was british.

Oh MY.....that whole story was hysterical!! My husband has this uncanny ability to start talking back to people with their accent....I have heard him do this and he is completely UNAWARE he is doing this, and I am usually standing there mortified hoping they aren’t offended and think he is poking fun at them.....this ranges from the deep South accent, to someone from Pakistan, to Brooklyn....surely there is a name for this ability, right?? Oh, I have gotten on him so often and he is oblivious, like, ‘What are you talking about??"

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 13 2012 at 11:34am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

4 lads mom wrote:

Oh MY.....that whole story was hysterical!! My husband has this uncanny ability to start talking back to people with their accent....I have heard him do this and he is completely UNAWARE he is doing this, and I am usually standing there mortified hoping they aren’t offended and think he is poking fun at them.....this ranges from the deep South accent, to someone from Pakistan, to Brooklyn....surely there is a name for this ability, right?? Oh, I have gotten on him so often and he is oblivious, like, ‘What are you talking about??"

My 2nd dd does this too. She learns languages easily by just hearing. She is also very musical. I am wandering if this is similar to your husband?

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 13 2012 at 11:43am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I have a tendency to do this, but my mother even worse. She picks up limps, too. She is very musical, so maybe that could be!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 13 2012 at 12:49pm | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

Yep, he is musical, plays guitar. Maybe that is it....

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 13 2012 at 3:31pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

What don't you know about me- I was on the cover of Sports Illustrated .....along with thousands of other University of Michigan students. The 1982 SI college issue featured a photo of the "student section," taken in fall of '81 (I think it was from the Notre Dame game.) I'm right at the fold of the magazine (the photo covers the front and back.)

In Christ,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version