Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Pregnancy, diet, and cod liver oil Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 25 2006 at 2:12pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Elizabeth wrote:
Now, question for you: How else to get the CLO down? I am not eating enough. I CAN'T seem to eat. I can cook. And I'm not throwing up but I don't want food and I'm full after a few bites. I really need to maximize nutrition and I want to do cod liver oil. But...I can't mix it in juice because anything even remotely sweet screws up my blood sugar and makes me sick. I'm afraid I'll gag on it plain. Also, how much when pregnant, do you think?

When you're doing whole milk, is it raw milk? That's much less likely to create a lactose problem with your breastmilk. I'm totally paranoid about raw dairy when pregnant though, so I'm going no dairy.

I am usually a perfect pregnancy eater. Now, I'm almost halfway through and I'm still not eating properly at all.

Elizabeth, I know how you feel.

CLO: Could you drizzle over salad? Does lettuce make you sick? I liked lettuce since it was cold and juicy. I was ALWAYS thirsty, but couldn't drink.

The thing that worked best for me was IV fluid. It sounds extreme, but it was great (other than the stick in your vein). I came up with my own theory regarding sickness in PG.

The hormones in PG are too much for my liver to deal with. The less I ate or drank, the more concentrated and stuck in my system they became. After IV fluid I would feel better for several days (I NEVER felt good, just not as bad). Therefore, all the remedies people suggested never helped. . .ginger, peppermint, sniffing things, eating more protein, chemo drugs, Ensure drinks , vitamin B, etc. etc.

I later noticed that I get a brief wave of nausea as my milk lets down--as prolactin is released into my blood stream. For whatever reason, hormones are nauseating to me.

Definately, an empty stomach/low blood sugar makes matters worse.

Also Elizabeth, I couldn't eat what I cooked. Its almost like you get too overwhelmed by it while its cooking, then it looks bad. There are some decent health food/organic prepared meals. In our house its just understood that Mom's pregnancy food is off limits since its for the baby/mom's health. Therefore we don't have to buy for everyone.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 25 2006 at 2:28pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Sarah wrote:
Elizabeth, I know how you feel.

CLO: Could you drizzle over salad? Does lettuce make you sick? I liked lettuce since it was cold and juicy. I was ALWAYS thirsty, but couldn't drink.

I can do lettuce and I seem to crave arugula...guesss I could put CLO on it.

sarah wrote:
The thing that worked best for me was IV fluid. It sounds extreme, but it was great (other than the stick in your vein).

Oh, Sarah, the IV is awesome but when you're a cancer survivor who never had a port put in (therefore has burned veins) it's a very drastic measure. The ER nurse was in tears at ther inability to get a good stick last time. It's just a horrible experience, all the way around. But I do relate to the thirsty thing. And that's a vicious cycle.

sarah wrote:
I came up with my own theory regarding sickness in PG.

The hormones in PG are too much for my liver to deal with. The less I ate or drank, the more concentrated and stuck in my system they became. After IV fluid I would feel better for several days (I NEVER felt good, just not as bad). Therefore, all the remedies people suggested never helped. . .ginger, peppermint, sniffing things, eating more protein, chemo drugs, Ensure drinks , vitamin B, etc. etc.

Sounds like a reasonable theory. The paranoid part of me wants to know why our livers can't handle it.

sarah wrote:
Also Elizabeth, I couldn't eat what I cooked. Its almost like you get too overwhelmed by it while its cooking, then it looks bad. There are some decent health food/organic prepared meals. In our house its just understood that Mom's pregnancy food is off limits since its for the baby/mom's health. Therefore we don't have to buy for everyone.

That's exactly it. Cooking kills my appetite, but I DO want to cook. Very weird.

BTW, I had Amy's frozen enchiladas for breakfast yesterday...

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2006 at 2:30pm | IP Logged Quote LisaD

I take Coromega fish oil. It is in little packets, and orange flavored. It is sweetened with stevia, so it won't mess with your blood sugar. There is no disgusting fishy aftertaste, either. It does contain a trace amount of egg, however, if you happen to be sensitive.

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2006 at 2:38pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Elizabeth wrote:

Oh, Sarah, the IV is awesome but when you're a cancer survivor who never had a port put in (therefore has burned veins) it's a very drastic measure.

Oh, that sounds so awful!

I, too, wonder what is it about me that gets soo sick while others "never felt better" in PG.

Instead of an IV could you just increase water. . .I know, it sounds easy but .

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2006 at 3:10pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Elizabeth wrote:
Rebecca,
If you lost weight like that and then started a bit of a binge with the cake at Easter, I suspect YOU might have a wheat sensitivity. Often, the foods we crave are the ones we should avoid.

That is very possible. I get very phlegmy after eating wheat and milk. I should be more diligent to figure out my own allergies.

elizabeth wrote:
Now, question for you: How else to get the CLO down?

I did some research on what brands have the highest level of Omega-3 EFAs. I give my kids the capsules although the level is much lower because they no longer willingly take the liquid. I figured, for them, some is better than none. For myself, I buy Carlson brand lemon flavored CLO in the green bottle from Wild Oats market (not sure if you have those in your area of USA).

Carlson's contains:
1100 to 1250 mb of Omega-3 fatty acids
DHA 500 mg to 590 mg
EPA 340-500 mg
ALA 40 mg-55 mg
as well as 100% of your RDA of Vitamin D, 30% of Vitamin E and 22% of Vitamin A

During this last pregnancy, I took one tablespoon a day. Actually, I still take that amount. Here is how I do it so as not to gag...

Good CLO does not smell or taste like fish. Any fishy taste is a warning sign of rancidity. The reason that you still might gag when taking Carlson brand is if you simply are not used to the texture of oil in your mouth in that large a quantity. The flavor is quite pleasant, it really does taste like lemon. The trick is to take a spoonful, (hold your nose if you must) and immediately swallow and then wipe your lips with a paper napkin. CLO will start to smell fishy when it is exposed to heat (on your lips) so if you wipe it off right away, you will not smell or taste fish. Then I use a soapy washcloth to make sure I get off the rest of the residue. You might think this is a bit excessive but I once had a child tell me I smelled like a fish when I forgot to wipe my mouth after taking it. Who wants their child to remember them smelling like a fish!

I got the measurement recommendations from
Weston Price and their diet for pregnant and nursing mothers. I really felt this pregnancy was the easiest for me, no nausea, no mood swings, good amount of energy.

Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 25 2006 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I've got that diet printed, hanging in my kitchen, Rebecca and it's taunting me. I just can't seem to come anywhere close.

What about the raw milk? Did you do that while pregnant? Whole Fields has unhomogenized--but pasteurized--organic milk. A good alternative?

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2006 at 4:08pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

I did not do raw milk as no one within a 2 hour drive will supply it in my area. I drank unhomogenized (cream top) organic whole milk instead. We can only get pasteurized in our state. I understand that pasteurized is less than perfect but I do not have a cow, nor do I have any friends with cows so I am stuck with pasteurized. I did drink the kefir that was recommended but had to cut it out because it was so yummy that it became a bit of a pregnancy addiction . I ate two eggs for breakfast nearly every day, usually mixed with a whole bag of baby spinach and some mushrooms. Sometimes a hard boiled egg for a snack when I was feeling myself getting tired or grumpy. The protein just really did it for me. I was much happier and even keeled this time around.

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2006 at 4:58pm | IP Logged Quote LisaD

Speaking of cod...my son picked out this book at the library last week. It's fascinating! The Cod's Tale, by Mark Kurlansky

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 25 2006 at 5:38pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Rebecca wrote:
I did some research on what brands have the highest level of Omega-3 EFAs. I give my kids the capsules although the level is much lower because they no longer willingly take the liquid. I figured, for them, some is better than none. For myself, I buy Carlson brand lemon flavored CLO in the green bottle from Wild Oats market (not sure if you have those in your area of USA).

Carlson's contains:
1100 to 1250 mb of Omega-3 fatty acids
DHA 500 mg to 590 mg
EPA 340-500 mg
ALA 40 mg-55 mg
as well as 100% of your RDA of Vitamin D, 30% of Vitamin E and 22% of Vitamin A

During this last pregnancy, I took one tablespoon a day.

My CLO is Quantum brand. What amount of CLO yields the measurements above?

Quantum per 1/2 tsp:
270 mg EPA
264 mg DHA
5,750 IU Vitamin A
575 IU Vitamin D

I tried your method. It is a brand new bottle. I broke the seal and it smells like fish to me. Tastes like fish too. I did exactly what you said and .
Sigh...I KNOW this is the right thing but...

esperanza
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2006 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote esperanza

Rebecca wrote:
   I ate two eggs for breakfast nearly every day, usually mixed with a whole bag of baby spinach and some mushrooms. Sometimes a hard boiled egg for a snack when I was feeling myself getting tired or grumpy. The protein just really did it for me. I was much happier and even keeled this time around.

Sounds like my kind of breakfast...I crave mushrooms, spinach, cooked onions and peppers with my eggs
Definitely have to have my protein to function. But this time my sweets and carbs are not making me as nauseous...which is a bad thing. I feel as if i am gaining too much this time.
I went in today for my OB appt. I am 28 wks (moved my due date up 11 days last appt) and I am still measuring big at 30.
I have not felt so much pressure in my diaphram for a few pregnancies...I have carried very low for the last 3 or 4. I thought I would continue that way or could it be related to the indigestion issues

Tammy Gonzalez in VA
dh-Johnny
mom to Tara-'85, Noelle-'88, Jeremy-'91, Elizabeth-'93, Emma-'96, Dominic-'99, Gabriel-'01, Elijah-03
and Jacinta-06
Back to Top View esperanza's Profile Search for other posts by esperanza

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2006 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Elizabeth wrote:

My CLO is Quantum brand. What amount of CLO yields the measurements above?

Quantum per 1/2 tsp:
270 mg EPA
264 mg DHA
5,750 IU Vitamin A
575 IU Vitamin D

I tried your method. It is a brand new bottle. I broke the seal and it smells like fish to me. Tastes like fish too. I did exactly what you said and .
Sigh...I KNOW this is the right thing but...

That amount is found in one teaspoon. I took a tablespoon a day. Your brand has more vitamin A and D than mine.

I don't know anything about Quantum brand but it really should not smell like fish or it is not as fresh as it should be. I have had this bottle for a month or so and I keep it in the fridge. I opened it to check and it still does not smell like fish, I mean, maybe ever, ever so faintly but only because I know it is fish oil. Otherwise it smells like lemon. Is the quantum flavored? This really makes a difference.

Don't know what to tell you about getting it down more easily. I make myself eat things even if they are yucky so I have no tips on that.   

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 25 2006 at 8:08pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Rebecca wrote:
Don't know what to tell you about getting it down more easily. I make myself eat things even if they are yucky so I have no tips on that.   

It's not the eating it that's the problem; it's the keeping it down...

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2006 at 10:17pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Elizabeth wrote:

AAHH... I see. What happened when you opened the bottle earlier? Did you try to take it or did it smell too bad?   Frankly, I don't think I could take it if I were even the least bit nauseus let alone "flat on your back nauseus" as you have described. (I know I am spelling nauseus wrong...it just doesn't look right but I am too lazy to look it up. )

I'd just focus on fats that you can stomach without any trouble. No sense putting yourself through more stomach trouble over something that sounds unappetizing. I think egg yolks are high in EFA. I don't remember if you can eat them (or if you even like them).

Hang in there. Too bad they don't make CLO patches. Absorb the necessary but nasty stuff through the skin without all the hassle and nausea!

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 26 2006 at 5:52am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Rebecca wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:

AAHH... I see. What happened when you opened the bottle earlier? Did you try to take it or did it smell too bad?   Frankly, I don't think I could take it if I were even the least bit nauseus let alone "flat on your back nauseus" as you have described. (I know I am spelling nauseus wrong...it just doesn't look right but I am too lazy to look it up. )

I'd just focus on fats that you can stomach without any trouble. No sense putting yourself through more stomach trouble over something that sounds unappetizing. I think egg yolks are high in EFA. I don't remember if you can eat them (or if you even like them).

Hang in there. Too bad they don't make CLO patches. Absorb the necessary but nasty stuff through the skin without all the hassle and nausea!

I'm not sure you really want to know what happened...I made a small smoothie first. I drank a little of that, did the CLO, gagged (should have stopped there), drank a little more smoothie, lost it all and was pretty much finished with eating or drinking for the night.

What frustrates me with the pregnancy diets and even the Weston Price anti-hyperemesis diet, is that I read the diet, KNOW all the things I should be eating and drinking to solve the problem, but then I can't actually eat them. Or if I do, I'm sorry I did.

Believe it or not, I'm going to try again. I did some research last night that said that the slightly fishy smell istraces of protein and not a sign of rancidity, so that made me feel better. I also figure dout that this is high-vitamin CLO, so I should n't need as much. A tablespoon was probably not very wise for the first time out. A half teaspoon would be better than nothing and maybe I can build up to more.

I can and do eat free range organic eggs. And I cook with coconut oil and butter, so those fats are covered. I may have to invstigate the high vitamin CLO capsules, though they are really expensive.

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2006 at 7:25am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

Forgive my ignorance, but why would you want to drink cod liver oil? What is in it that you can't get in real food? I understand that if you can't keep down real food that the oil may be the next best thing.

I'm confused, too, about the 4 T. butter and 2 T. coconut oil. I understand choosing butter over margarine, but 4 T! That seems like a lot. Why all the fat? I guess that diet doesn't seem very appetizing to me.

I've put together a "diet" for myself based on a combination of Shonda Parker's Naturally Healthy Pregnancy and the good ol' Best Odds Diet from What to Expect When You're Expecting. Basically, I check off from the protein, whole grain, calcium, vitamin C, green leafy, fat, etc. as I eat throughout the day. I feel so much better now that I'm eating a more balanced diet.

This thread, though, is making me think I'm missing something?

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 26 2006 at 7:30am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Molly Smith wrote:
I've put together a "diet" for myself based on a combination of Shonda Parker's Naturally Healthy Pregnancy and the good ol' Best Odds Diet from What to Expect When You're Expecting. Basically, I check off from the protein, whole grain, calcium, vitamin C, green leafy, fat, etc. as I eat throughout the day. I feel so much better now that I'm eating a more balanced diet.

This thread, though, is making me think I'm missing something?

Thanks, Molly, for that question. I thought I was a healthy pregnancy eater. I follow Marilyn Shannon and Adelle Davis and as you mentioned...I know about some extra oils, but I can't imagine doing the CLO. I can barely keep down some healthy foods and can't even sniff regular vitamins!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2006 at 7:54am | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Elizabeth wrote:

What frustrates me with the pregnancy diets and even the Weston Price anti-hyperemesis diet, is that I read the diet, KNOW all the things I should be eating and drinking to solve the problem, but then I can't actually eat them. Or if I do, I'm sorry I did.

Believe it or not, I'm going to try again. I did some research last night that said that the slightly fishy smell istraces of protein and not a sign of rancidity, so that made me feel better.

A very faint smell is normal. I understand, and remember it has been over a year since I researched the whole thing, that a strong fish taste or smell indicates either rancidity or a poor quality CLO.    

elizabeth wrote:
I also figure dout that this is high-vitamin CLO, so I should n't need as much. A tablespoon was probably not very wise for the first time out. A half teaspoon would be better than nothing and maybe I can build up to more.

Actually keeping down a even a fraction of a teaspoonful would be better than losing a whole big dose to vomiting. Babysteps. I also just read on the Weston Price site that after pregancy, I should only be taking one teaspoonful each day. I just continued to take what I was taking all of last year after the baby came.

elizabeth wrote:

I can and do eat free range organic eggs. And I cook with coconut oil and butter, so those fats are covered. I may have to invstigate the high vitamin CLO capsules, though they are really expensive.

I'd love to know how you incorporate coconut oil into your cooking. I tried it during pregnancy but could not stomach it (sort of like you with the CLO). I tried it room temperature right off the spoon or heated to liquify it but it always made me gag. It smelled good but I just couldn't keep it down.

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2006 at 7:57am | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Rebecca wrote:

I don't know anything about Quantum brand but it really should not smell like fish or it is not as fresh as it should be.

So I guess, this should have read..."smell strongly of fish" Sorry for the confusion.

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 26 2006 at 11:04am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Molly Smith wrote:
Forgive my ignorance, but why would you want to drink cod liver oil? What is in it that you can't get in real food? I understand that if you can't keep down real food that the oil may be the next best thing.

Cod liver oil was once a staple of nutrition. The short version, for me, is that cod liver oil is an efficient and useable source of Omega-3 fatty acids. These are essential fatty acids, so they are not stored in your body, but are vital for your body, particularly for neurological health and function. In pregnancy,Omega 3's are crucial for your baby's brain and spinal cord development. They are also essential for mom's mood.
That's the short version. There's much, much more. Here's a longer version with lots of footnotes. The link to the Weston A Pirce foundation is interesting.

Coconut oil is a medium chain fatty acid that is unique in structure. Not only is it a healthy fat, it's a proven anti-viral,anit-bacterial, and anti-fungal. Here's a primer on coconut oil.

Rebecca, I cook my eggs in coconut oil, add it to smoothies, and make smoothies with full-fat coconut milk. KathrynTherese stirs hers into her coffee. If you fry hashed browns in it, it all gets absorbed by the potato. Grease pans with it when baking. Umm...I'm sure there's more but I need to recall it.

Molly, the butter thing I'm not convinced of yet. I do buy full fat yogurt and I use better instead of margarine but I'm still not a 4TBS/ a day butter user.

esperanza
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2006 at 12:27pm | IP Logged Quote esperanza

Elizabeth wrote:

Coconut oil is a medium chain fatty acid that is unique in structure. Not only is it a healthy fat, it's a proven anti-viral,anit-bacterial, and anti-fungal. Here's a primer on coconut oil.

Where do you purchase your coconut oil? .... Dr. Mercola's site?

Tammy Gonzalez in VA
dh-Johnny
mom to Tara-'85, Noelle-'88, Jeremy-'91, Elizabeth-'93, Emma-'96, Dominic-'99, Gabriel-'01, Elijah-03
and Jacinta-06
Back to Top View esperanza's Profile Search for other posts by esperanza

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version