Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: When a child thinks they do no wrong Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Pilgrim
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 18 2012 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote Pilgrim

CatholicMommy wrote:
cathhomeschool wrote:

CatholicMommy wrote:
Me, not wanting an argument: "J, I am washing dishes now; please check the living room for any dishes."
J: "I didn't leave any dishes in the living room!"
Me: "Just bring me whatever is there, please."
J: "These are YOUR dishes. Not mine."
Me: "That's ok. I just need them so I can wash dishes. Please go back to what you were doing now."
J: "Well I didn't leave them in there."

LOL. I get that same conversation here!! *The key* for me is to not engage (which is exactly what you did). Some days I fail miserably.

When mine are being annoying to each other (the screeching thing) I send the offending parties outside or to their rooms. "But I didn't do anything!" "I didn't say you did. You need to go outside and get some energy out." Or "I didn't do anything!" "I asked you to stop arguing and you didn't. You can go to your room and argue by yourself." (Sometimes I encourage them towards obedience by adding "Yes Ma'am is the only answer.") I do think boredom and personality are large factors in the screeching type things.

I am all for improving things around here.

May I ask how the interaction I described above was "engaging" him. Once I made my last statement, I returned to washing the dishes, he stared at me for a few seconds, then went back to his project. That is how most of these sorts of interactions go. He starts his defense-mode, I tell him essentially "I don't care" (in not as few words) and that's it. He can mope and fight and argue all he wants; the only things he gets is entirely ignored (he doesn't throw fits - he only did it twice and realized the reaction he gets, so he doesn't bother).

I guess I'm just not sure how it was still engagement - something I have always tried to avoid.

I'm up for critiques

Like Lindsay said, I'm not Janette, and I'm sure she'll clarify, but I also took it as she was saying you "did not engage", as in, you were doing the right thing. It seemed she was agreeing with you.

On another not, I've been getting some of the SAME arguments you are getting out of your son from our 4 yo. I'll ask him to pick up items from the floor, or some such, and I get "'so and so' did that". Boy is that frustrating.

I've been telling him, "Listen, even IF "so and so" did that, you are part of the family, and if I ask you to do something to be a helper to ANYONE in this family, you need to do so. We all do a lot of work here, and you can be a helper to Mommy and the family when I ask you to do something, so please do as I asked". Other times my response is more like "Okay, you're right, pick it up anyway."

St. Clare Heirloom Seeds coupon 4Real 20% off

St. Clare Audio
Back to Top View Pilgrim's Profile Search for other posts by Pilgrim Visit Pilgrim's Homepage

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2012 at 4:08pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Heh. Boys.

One thing I do which does somewhat derail the "Wha? Wha'd I do? I didn't do anything" thing is to say, for example, "You are screeching at the baby, and that's inappropriate table behavior.* It needs to stop." It doesn't always stop immediately, but if I've pointed out what they're doing, they at least can't argue so much that they weren't doing it.

Sally

(and yes, my kids could argue with me for hours over whether or not they should have to put dishes in the dishwasher or take the trash out. "But it's not my dishes!" *sigh*)

*We don't have a baby any more, so the child I'm thinking of right now can't go, "But she's screeching! Why do you let her? You love her the most!" That would certainly happen if we had a baby at the table.

If we did have a baby, I think I'd say, "That's inappropriate table behavior for anyone over the age of one" -- or however old the screeching baby is.

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2012 at 7:45pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

Thank you all for the clarification! I could read it that way too - I just didn't at first

Thank you!

Ok, back to the original thread

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Jan 18 2012 at 8:03pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

CrunchyMom wrote:
CatholicMommy wrote:

I guess I'm just not sure how it was still engagement - something I have always tried to avoid.

I'm up for critiques

I'm not Janette, but when I read her post originally, I thought she meant what you did was "not engage." In reading your post, I see that it looked like she was saying the opposite, so I'm sure she'll come clarify herself. But I'm pretty sure she meant to say that you did the right thing.

Lindsay's right. That's exactly what I meant -- that you didn't engage him and that that was a good thing. Sorry for the confusion!!   

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Jan 18 2012 at 8:07pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

BTW this conversation has been so good for me as I think the desire to engage from my 10yo has been stronger this week...or maybe I'm noticing it more or have less patience this week! I keep letting the little record play "Do not engage. Do not engage. Do not engage." This evening I finally told him that I'd have to start charging him money for wasting my time (which is valuable) if he wants to keep talking at me when I've made a decision. ...He then proceeded to try to talk at me one more time... All that because I'm making him read Rolf and the Viking Bow instead of his choice, Diary of a Wimpy Kid. I'm horrible, I know...   

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2012 at 8:30pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

Thank you all for the clarification! I could read it that way too - I just didn't at first

Thank you!

Ok, back to the original thread

(I thought I had posted this earlier, but I just came back to the tab, and it said I had tried to spam the forum and didn't post. I'm not sure what happened there... so I'll hit post now and see what happens )

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version