Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: What do you do to inspire yourself... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 07 2012 at 11:13am | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

Ah, we are getting there.
This is definitely a 2 day job!
I have been smiling doing this because i know someone cares..thank you!!!!
Being a mama to 9 dc and one dh is time consuming!! It is nice to have the added focus over the noise they make!

We have sparkly glass...we have been washing like crazy.

I just got a fresh batch of cleaning towels out of the dryer for the shorter kids to use on the bottom half of the cabinets and the outside of the appliances.

My water-loving boy is wearing boots and is scrubbing (outside) the mudroom and kitchen sink mat, the garbage can and the recycling bin inside and out!

Soon, we are moving the appliances and hutch and shelves to clean out under them. I have my paint scrapers at the ready for whatever decided to adhere to the floor...THIS IS THE BEST KITCHEN TOOL EVAH!! ...just so you know...

I relocated 3 nice baskets to one of the wire shelves to use for ...something...Haven't decided what yet. They are squarish with a shorter angled front...pretty and practical. Wish I could get more of these!

?? Now how shall I label things in the kitchen...like mason jars, baskets and bins. ?? What would be pretty??

I was thinking of saving my pennies to get some squarish containers (that are sturdy) for the freezer so I can stack things better in there...and have a label on them too...maybe bins with handles...

hmmm...?? What to choose??

?? I have to decide on a container for all of the new cookie cutters we got for Christmas and for the plastic chocolate molds and the clay cookie stamps. ??

I redid dh's coffee basket...coffee press, scoop. coffee filters for the drip maker(when we have to make larger batches for company) and a cute sugar bowl and his spare travel mug. I love this basket...pretty and I KNOW where his travel mug pieces go after they are washed
You have no idea what a LEAP this is for me

I now have a 5 gal pail full of extra vacuum parts on the bottom shelf of my "pantry" Extra belts and bags are in there too!! Yippee...all in one place...WITH a HANDLE!!

?? How should I label 3-5 gal pails of stuff so it looks nice? I use them to store bulk grain and other essential items...??

Mr clean will be hitting all of the painted surfaces in that kitchen later on.

Coffee break over. Time to jump into the suds like Stacy! Go girls! You can do it...if I can...you can too!

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 07 2012 at 11:33am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'm up to my elbows in Rosemary Clooney and housecleaning here...so I don't have much time....but I had to come over and cheer!

On the labeling....I'd say use what you have if you're on a roll, which you MOST DEFINITELY ARE!

If you have a labelmaker - get one of those big kids a-labelin'!!!

If you don't have a labelmaker - get one of the big kids to start a list of needed labels for you. Print them in a pretty font on your printer, and then cut them up. Use clear packing tape to stick them to surfaces. On bulk food stuffs sometimes I like including the date purchased. You can use this system on every surface in your kitchen - mason jars, bins, baskets. Just cut your tape to size so you don't have a huge piece on a smallish mason jar. This can be really pretty if you can put some scrapbooking paper through the printer in a pattern/color that coordinates in your kitchen. How cheery to have coordinated labels in a cheery color/pattern all over your kitchen!!!! I'm swooning just thinking about it.

Happy labeling....and thanks for the paint scraper tip! We have several sizes and use them all over, too...but I never thought of the icky scraping under appliances! Great tip!!!

I'm back to my chores here!!!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 07 2012 at 12:22pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

If time is a constraint, you can also use Scotch tape and a Sharpie to label.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 07 2012 at 12:23pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

OH! And regarding the 5 gallon bucket, I might use a big piece of scrapbook paper with a smaller label in the middle.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 07 2012 at 12:39pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Not as pretty but very practical.. sharpie will write directly on glass like the mason jars.. AND wash off pretty easily. So if it's things that you just use whatever jar is handy.. this is great. I love it for my spices for that reason.. I can wash the empty jars and then put them away with all the other jars and not need to keep them dedicated to a particular spice.

You can also get sharpie written directly on a bucket mostly off but a label would be easier and prettier unless you have pretty writing of course.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 07 2012 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

CrunchyMom wrote:
If time is a constraint, you can also use Scotch tape and a Sharpie to label.

I've done that, especially for freezer marking. Also painting tape with Sharpie works well. More "permanent" is masking tape.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 07 2012 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

Donna Marie wrote:
I tried to convince my family that eating was such a drain of our time and resources and we should just give it up this year...LOL..but they didn't go for it...wonder why    

That is so funny b/c that's EXACTLY how I feel!! If it weren't for shopping, prepping, washing, eating and clean-up, I'd have soooo much more time in the day!

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 07 2012 at 4:12pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

This topic is so timely and helpful right now! Several days a week I'm at mil's home ~ cooking while juggling four different restricted diets for a person with almost no appetite, who keeps losing weight, is intimidating! (Does anyone know how to coordinate a diet for Coumadin (low Vit. K), GERD, low-Sodium (for high blood pressure), low-fat(for very high cholesterol) diet? It doesn't help that I'm trying to manage in a kitchen designed for one, with stove, pans and ingredients that are all very foreign to me, making meal preparation challenging and exhausting, even when I'm home.

Thankfully, dc all love to cook and are truly enjoying the freedom to experiment and take on more responsibilities in that realm ~ I came home last night to wonderful homemade soup and a strawberry cheesecake that one ds improvised from scratch and could rival any gourmet cheesecake!

Like you Donna, I sometimes feel as though I'm losing my own sense of place in the kitchen. To help renew my enthusiasm I indulged in fresh herb plants from our local produce department before Christmas and have enjoyed making herb butter, which is quite scrumptious on bread or pasta! Like you, Jodie, I've enjoyed knitting dishcloths lately ~ fresh colors in the kitchen can really help liven both atmosphere and frame of mind!

When we drove down our driveway last night our icicle lights were sparkling in the kichen dining windows, greeting us with that "Aahhh, we're home" feeling!

Dh and I had stopped for groceries on the long drive home and we intentionally made a few purchases outside our norm ~ some new teas to try; pretty, inexpensive paper plates to lighten the load at home and at mil's; a new-to-us soft cheese to spread on crackers for a special treat while we're home ~ "Laughing Cow" ~ even the name lifts my spirits!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version