Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: What do you do to inspire yourself... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 06 2012 at 1:33pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

lapazfarm wrote:
On a slightly different note: whenever I find myself lacking inspiration in the menu-planning department, I watch a few cooking shows (Iron Chef, Top Chef, Jaimie at Home, etc) and that usually gets my creative juices flowing. I RARELY, if ever, use any of the recipes from these shows, but I do find that just watching them inspires me to be more creative in my menu choices,makes me think more about balance of flavors and presentation, and encourages me to try different side dishes or flavor profiles I haven't used in a while.

On that note, Amazon Prime has the original Julia Child series "The French Chef" for free

I've been watching it, and I find it refreshing and inspiring because it is so REAL. She's such a lady, but there's no fancy editing or retakes.

She spills things

"Oops, there goes the brandy"

and makes mistakes

"of course, if I hadn't added too much vinegar at the beginning, this would have been much stiffer by now"

and her food placement is lovely and thoughtful but imperfect

"of course, some people put the strawberries in perfect circles, but I think that takes too much time"

I think its just delightful. And she gives really useful tips along the way about choosing cookware or techniques to use. And the kitchen she works in is very ordinary. You can see where she used masking tape and a magic marker to label the herb jars

Anyway, with technology making a "perfect" image so easy for all types of mediums (like when shelter magazines airbrush out outlets and lightswitch covers because they spoil the magic), she's klutzy and absent-minded and it makes me happy

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 06 2012 at 1:36pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Oh, and I would love a new vintage apron, but I've been *intending* for MONTHS to just IRON the ones I hav It seems like just having a row of them clean, starched, and ironed would be delightful.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 06 2012 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

well I don't have a pretty vintage apron either.. but I have a denim jumper that I intend to make into an apron.. but then I want one I can work in.. in the kitchen or in the garden and not worry about it.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2012 at 1:39pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

Mackfam wrote:
And...can I just say how HILARIOUS IT IS that I can manage to combine perfume, hair, kitchen re-organization and inspiration, books and wine all into the same theme???

Don't forget tea/coffee break: I'm very impressed by this. I think I might just be inspired to clean my kitchen this weekend ... after my dd's bday party

Ooh, crochet dishtowels sound lovely...birds outside windows...you ladies are amazing!

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2012 at 1:42pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

JodieLyn wrote:
well I don't have a pretty vintage apron either.. but I have a denim jumper that I intend to make into an apron.. but then I want one I can work in.. in the kitchen or in the garden and not worry about it.

I've never owned or used an apron. I hope that doesn't mean I don't belong in the kitchen

Although my family sometimes would say my cooking proves I might just not know what I'm doing in there

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 06 2012 at 1:43pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

CrunchyMom wrote:
Amazon Prime has the original Julia Child series "The French Chef" for free

Oh, I'm so glad you mentioned that, Lindsay!!!!! I'm going to add that to my list of inspiring and free things I can do in my evenings! (well....free since I have already subscribed to Amazon Prime.) This sounds perfectly delightful, and right up my alley!

I like watching Barefoot Contessa for cooking inspiration. Scenes are so pretty, and her motivation for cooking is always out of love for others, with a desire to bring them happiness through a shared meal and time spent. It really inspires me! I DVR all of her shows so I can watch them when I'm ironing, a chore I find particularly uninspiring.

What a great thought to mention, Theresa! I imagine everyone has a style or persona on Food Network that can be inspiring to watch and motivating in a sense!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 06 2012 at 1:45pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

CrunchyMom wrote:
Oh, and I would love a new vintage apron, but I've been *intending* for MONTHS to just IRON the ones I hav It seems like just having a row of them clean, starched, and ironed would be delightful.

It is! I don't iron mine though.   

I did hang a row of cup hooks under my wooden spice rack and I hang my vintage aprons out on display. Very cheery! Maybe I'll go snap a pic since it's very sunny in my kitchen right now...seems fitting on our kitchen inspiration thread!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 06 2012 at 1:54pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Oh! I should tell you about my lovely Christmas gift from my mom.

She took silverware baskets from a dishwasher and attached them to a board and made the whole thing pretty. We'll hang it at the end of our counter (where dishes go to dry usually) and the silverware can be put away prettily right there.. and that frees up the drawer that had silverware to hold the towels and dishcloths and trivits that were all crowded in before. (trivits were moved from the drawer with the cutting boards that was crowded too)

And something I got done the other day that makes me happy when standing at my sink.. I have two hanging hooks to either side of the sink.. on one side is my pothos (plant). On the other is one of the sets of 3 hanging baskets (copper colored - which is used through out the kitchen).. the top little basket is for some misc things and the knife sharpener but then the next basket is supposed to be for the sippy cup lids and the lowest basket for the travel mug lids (we got good ones for the whole family a couple years ago).

Well with me gone I'm finding little things weren't put away properly and so I went through those baskets so that everything is in it's proper place and nothing extra has been stashed there. It makes me happy to see it all organized again and since you can't help but see it when standing at the sink.. it's important.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 06 2012 at 1:59pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JodieLyn wrote:
Oh! I should tell you about my lovely Christmas gift from my mom.

She took silverware baskets from a dishwasher and attached them to a board and made the whole thing pretty. We'll hang it at the end of our counter (where dishes go to dry usually) and the silverware can be put away prettily right there.. and that frees up the drawer that had silverware to hold the towels and dishcloths and trivits that were all crowded in before.

Oh, I just love things like that, Jodie! Creative ideas to make the kitchen work smoothly!! PERFECT! This kind of thing is super inspiring! And your baskets sound so lovely! How cheery!

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 06 2012 at 2:03pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

That is a good idea. I don't have a place at the end of a counter, but I've been thinking I should get a nice silverware caddy to free up the drawer and make it easier to put away.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 06 2012 at 2:12pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Aren't they cheery?

Not all are vintage. The two aprons on the end are full coverage, cotton aprons that are modern. They're great for garden work, big-dusty-deep-clean-housecleaning jobs. Love that red gingham one....but the little red cherries on the other is my favorite prego apron!

All the little half aprons are vintage and terribly charming. My mom and sister always watch out for aprons for me at the flea market, and that's where most of them come from. Except for my favorite apron...that little blue apron with the pink rick-rack....that is my Granny's apron.

I have memories of my Granny cheerily singing her way around the kitchen in this very apron. My heart just gladdens at the thought of it. That apron is sort of my Granny in a nutshell - frugal, cheery, practical, pretty. The blue fabric came from an old shirt, the pink rick-rack was left over from some other project, and you can't see it but the apron is lined in a sturdy white fabric that came from an old heavy flour sack. The front is composed of two deep pockets which are essential in any good apron. What industry in that one little apron! I always want to emulate that example!

If you're looking for a little kitchen inspiration, another idea would be to ask your Mom or Granny if you can go through her attic or cedar chest and see if you can find a little something that is reminiscent of family cheeriness - an old dish, family cookbook, apron, crochet work. Those always bring warm memories to the kitchen work space!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 06 2012 at 2:20pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Well it just occured to me that I have an older picture of my kitchen sink area.. and it shows the hanging basket from before we got so many travel mugs. The sippy cups go better in the cupboard than the travel mug lids so I have since switched those out and the bottom baskets has lids instead of cups.

But this is what it looks like when my kitchen is all clean and pretty.

-Sir Walter Scott

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2012 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

Ok! Ok! I *think* my 8yo ds has taken this pretty thing from the window too seriously...

He just went outside with a rag and cleaned the glass on the birdfeeder outside the kitchen window!!

I made a list for when I have to go out later:
New clipboard (that I can cover with pretty paper) for kitchen inventory.
new spray bottles
kitchen towels,
cup hooks!!
and Mrs Myers...I really want to try this, but I am chicken that the scent would be too much for me, but I want things to smell yummy....what scent would be nice to choose?!

I now have clean kitchen windows, storms, and screens..in and out. I cleaned the glass on my hutch/tea cabinet.

Now! We are talking!! ..what a lift to have clean glass!!

I have cream colored lacy curtains that have been freshly washed and are now being hung by my dd and my 3yo industrious son. I was thinking of ironing them later after spritzing with a bottle that has some essential oils added to it.

We dumped a whole bunch of things in the middle of the kitchen floor. Wanna know what attracts unexpected company??....a mess on my kitchen floor!!...he was shooed away with a smile and a wave as I held my wriggling 3yo ds who wanted a touch of freedom.

I told my 11yo dd that if she gets rid of 2 big bags of garbage from the kitchen, she can be my "shopping helper" later...a very coveted job!

Next on the cleaning circuit is the ceiling fan and the 4 little accent shelves next to the sink. We are only putting simple and pretty there!

I am NOT cooking today. I am bringing home something from the grocery store that can be easily washed and eaten...like baby carrots and dip and various cold finger foods...I am still trying to figure that one out.

Oops coffee break over!
HOW can I thank you all enough for encouraging me today...I can't begin to imagine when anyone has been SOO kind!!

Praying as I work for all of your intentions! May my icky kitchen clutter be your beautiful blessings!!

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 06 2012 at 2:34pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Donna Marie wrote:
Ok! Ok! I *think* my 8yo ds has taken this pretty thing from the window too seriously...

He just went outside with a rag and cleaned the glass on the birdfeeder outside the kitchen window!!

It's going so well, Donna Marie!!!!!!!!!! The kitchen sounds positively refreshed already! And your dinner plan is perfect! I'm so glad you dropped in on your coffee break!

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2012 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

Lovely ideas, y'all!!!!

Thanks!!!

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

mamaslearning
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2012 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote mamaslearning

Loving this! Can't wait to start my own cleaning (schoolroom needs an overhaul)!

Jodie, I like the hanging basket idea and I desperately need a plant in my kitchen. Any suggestions? We face due south, so we get tons and tons of sunlight in the winter but indirect sun in the summer.

Back to Top View mamaslearning's Profile Search for other posts by mamaslearning

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 06 2012 at 5:27pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Lara, I got the pothos because it's so easy to take care of and is so easy going on light requirements and such. Basically it can get a bit wilt-y and "tell" me it needs water and I can water it and it'll perk right back up.

But other plants that I like for indoors are the spider plants, wandering jew and philodendrons.. I've had a begonia and a geranium if you want something that flowers. The philodendron tend to be more upright from the pot so not as good for a hanging plant but the others all make nice hanging plants.

-Sir Walter Scott

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 06 2012 at 5:28pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

oh and speaking of sun in the window.. a prism of some sort (I have a cut crystal ball) hanging in the window is fun to see all the rainbows that dance around the kitchen.

-Sir Walter Scott

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2012 at 8:31pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Mackfam wrote:
    And turn on fun music! Rosemary Clooney....

I must be repressing the obvious view in front of me, with all your great suggestions, Jen, because, what in your tremendous list stands out to me is Rosemary Clooney!      I love listening to her! Local radio stations play their version of "Christmas" music for over a month before and up to Christmas Day, cutting it off on the 26th. And who did they never play? Rosemary Clooney! My family got tired of my whining, so they took to carrying her cd's in and out of the car, whenever we had to go out.

Okay, okay, avoidance here. Thanks, Donna, for bringing my kitchen to the forefront of my ... vision. Time for me to get off the computer and jump into soapsuds!

In Christ,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 06 2012 at 8:46pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

stacykay wrote:
Mackfam wrote:
    And turn on fun music! Rosemary Clooney....

I must be repressing the obvious view in front of me, with all your great suggestions, Jen, because, what in your tremendous list stands out to me is Rosemary Clooney!      I love listening to her!

I do, too, Stacy!    Tomorrow's Saturday....great day for turning on some Rosemary while housecleaning!!

How are you doing in there, Donna Marie?? Is that kitchen of yours looking sparkly and pretty? Welcoming, comfortable, and ordered?

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version