Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: St. Giles, St. Basilissa, or St. Martina? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 23 2011 at 2:25am | IP Logged Quote Chris V

MaryM wrote:

Yes, you are doing the right things to help increase your supply. Some moms find there's a delay in copious production after pre-eclampsia. Throw in all those factors you mention (like stress and fatigue) and you have a challenging situation.

Yes, all have told me that pre-eclampsia will affect milk supply. In fact, I'm still taking blood pressure medication right now because my body just cannot seem to get over the pre-eclampsia and my body did not respond as they predicted. I am still suffering from edema as well.

marym wrote:

Another thing to consider - did you get steroid injections for lung development? A recent study found a link to the timing of steroids, birth and milk production. The issue seems to be delay vs. long-term problem.

Yes, I did . I had two injections of Betamethasone at 34 weeks.

marym wrote:

With delay in milk production, it's easy to get discouraged with pumping. Lactation Consultant (& mom to twins), Karen Gromada says "It's like priming a pump -- you gotta keep pushing the handle up/down even if you get only drops for awhile. If you give up, one never gets water, but if one keeps pumping, suddenly water gushes from the spigot. Same can happen at times with pumping milk!"

Thank you. It's just a bit after midnight here, and I just finished pumping. My alarm is set for 3 am for another pumping. ... I'm pretending as though my babies are right here with me (during the late night hours), and I pump when I should be/would be feeding them.

marym wrote:

Is the supplement you are taking Mother's Love Herbal More Milk Plus? - I think it is the best on the market and can be very effective for many women, though not all respond the same.

No, it's a product from the brand Gaia, and it's called "Lactate Support". I purchased it at Super Supplements. Perhaps I'll see if they carry the product you suggest. ... anything that will help me.

marym wrote:

Continuing to pray for you...

Thank you.

Back to Top View Chris V's Profile Search for other posts by Chris V

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 23 2011 at 2:37am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Chris V wrote:
Thank you. It's just a bit after midnight here, and I just finished pumping. My alarm is set for 3 am for another pumping. ... I'm pretending as though my babies are right here with me (during the late night hours), and I pump when I should be/would be feeding them.

You are working SO hard!!!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 23 2011 at 4:31am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Its the middle ofmthe night formyou, but early morning here. Mthinking of You and praying now that your 3 a.m. pumping goes well and that your milk supply begins to increase!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 26 2011 at 11:57pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

How are you doing, Chris?

I'm praying for you from the West Coast at 10:00 p.m. :)

A dear friend from college is in the exact situation as you except that her 12 week old babies are now home with her and doing very well. It won't be much longer now.

Much love,

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 27 2011 at 8:56am | IP Logged Quote amyable

I have no great advice, but I wanted to let you know I'm cheering you on from miles away. I haven't had twins or NICU time, but I've had PPD and every breastfeeding problem in the book at one time or another (or all at once ) and I know how crazy overwhelming it all can be.

Here's some milk-prayer-dust:

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Veronika
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Dec 27 2011 at 8:40pm | IP Logged Quote Veronika

Hi Chris! Hang in there! My identical girls are 9yo already and it all goes by so fast. Just keep in mind the fact that although this phase is difficult, it is so very temporary. Before you know it, you'll establish your routine and it will all fall into place. When you look back at this 9 years from now, this time of your life will probably be remembered as your finest hour. God works best through weak and tired instruments such as the mothers of newborn twins!    I found I prayed best during those many and frequent night time feedings when I needed God's help most, I guess!
Get as much sleep as you can, eat right, and accept any help that family and friends will offer...this part only lasts for a little while, and then what a true blessing having twins can be!
I wish I could come over and help you! But be assured of my prayers. God bless!

Back to Top View Veronika's Profile Search for other posts by Veronika

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 28 2011 at 12:52pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Praying for you, Chris, and for your little ones... hang in there!!! You're doing a fantastic job. Just remember that with twins your goal is not to do anything perfectly, it's survival, pure and simple. You're doing everything you can, and God has the rest.    

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 29 2011 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Chris, Pilgrim here: Just wanted to give you a quick cyber hug and prayers, and say, like others, you are doing GREAT, keep it up and follow the Holy Spirit's guidnce for what is best for THIS situation, this time, even this moment. One of our twins had more trouble, weaker latch, etc. at first, but I noticed that before long he overcame the weak latch, and he nursed famously. At first, he used to take approx. fifteen times to get a good latch, and it does wear you out, to work so hard to nurse, pump, and nurse, and pump again. We had to supplement a little bit each day with formula with both twins for different reasons (usually one bottle a day), and I learned to be okay with that. The beautiful, and ever-so-joyous thing for me/us was that before we knew it, we were able to give up the formula all together, and both twins got on a good schedule, both were strong nursers, and nursed until they were 13 mos. old. When, they were finally able to tandem nurse, it was so nice, and things really hit their stride. I think it was when they were about 3 months old. Patience paid off, and it was so joyous and beautiful to build the relationship with them, and watch them building a relationship together, too.

We too, had a grueling schedule of pumpings and feedings, and praiseGod, you DO make it through. Take it each moment at a time. We will all keep praying you through this!

BTW, even in the early days, when it wasn't all breastfeeding, we found a chart like this very helful in keeping track of feedings, as well as diapering, or other things like formula feedings (including amount), length of breast-feeding sessions, baths, diaper rash issues, temperatures, etc.

Chris, servant here;
You're performing such a wonderful labor of love for your sweet little ones! Hang in there! These days will eventually pass and you'll be able to the double blessing God has bestowed on your family through the gift of your precious little girls! A few ideas for those times you need to pump; have pictures of your darlin' little girls to look at (if they aren't right there with you), perhaps play soft lullabies, use soft light or candle light, warm compresses before pumping or nursing ~ basically whatever tips make you more relaxed and make pumping and breastfeeding as comfortable and pleasant as possible. You remain very much in our hearts and in our prayers during these tender times!

(PMing you a picture of our Blessed Mother holding twins that a dear soul from 4 Real sent us during Pilgrim's "twinner days"!)

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 29 2011 at 3:50pm | IP Logged Quote Chris V

Update in OP

Back to Top View Chris V's Profile Search for other posts by Chris V

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version