Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Boy Toys Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

OK, ladies....the masculization of my potentially-only-son could rest on YOUR shoulders!

I am getting lots of requests from family members...."What sort of toys for Michael do you want for Christmas?"    ...but also

Of course, I WANT to respond....."KEEP ALL TOYS OUT OF MY HOUSE! I HATE TOYS! He's ONE....he doesn't need TOYS...he just needs dust bunnies and sharp pencils that are lying around on the floor!

....but, I'm thinking that's not going to fly. Plus, dh has made a request of two that we need a few fire trucks, or maybe a car or two around.....instead of Polly Pockets and baby-dolls.

SO..........
We have lots of cross-gender-developmental toys. Not those. I need BOY TOYS! Things that TOTALLY SCREAM BOY!

This is what we have right now (and don't laugh):

:: 1 nerf football
:: 5 train & car bath toys
:: lots of animals
:: 1 book of vehicles that make sounds
:: wooden train track & various train cars
:: a dozen hot wheel cars
:: 1 camoflage Beanie Baby

LINK me! HIT me with it ALL! Make a wish list for me that will make 4Real proud!

Favorite boy books? Toddler boy toys? Misc. items?

Keep in mind ages 1-3.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 12:58pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Big Blocks -- things to stack and knock over.

Lego used to have some very large Legos. Now I think they only have Duplos. But basic bricks like that are fun.

Need more balls to just roll around and throw and bounce -- round ones, not just a football.

Dump trucks.

There's a toddler Playmobil, also. My little guys liked having small people around to play with, and Playmobil filled this want.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 1:05pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

At that age, Duplo is popular (at any age, Duplo is popular), and there are little Duplo people, too. We got some big lots off of Ebay When my oldest was a baby.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 1:05pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Toddler basketball hoop (free standing) - my son and all my daycare toddler boys LOVED that thing.

They also liked the toddler T-ball stand but it's a bit more difficult for a one-year-old

Little Tikes trucks - fire engine, dump truck, etc.

Thomas the Tank Engine books

Richard Scarry's Cars and Trucks and Things That Go

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 1:18pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

Your list is great so far. Something that is found in every corner are TOOLS:

This one looks perfect for a one year old. We've owned this Tikes one in the past. Now we have a super big plastic tools bench filled with every tool imaginable: saws, drills, wrendches, .... If they make noise even better

Along those lines we own three lawnmowers, the little boys love this (bubble making ones and noise making ones!)

One more thing that my boys like are swords and knight dress up stuff: armour, helmets...

Can't forget: ferocious scary meat eating animals!! Buckets like this one and ofcourse tons of stuffed ones.

I'll come back with more ideas later.

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

SuzanneG wrote:

Of course, I WANT to respond....."KEEP ALL TOYS OUT OF MY HOUSE! I HATE TOYS! He's ONE....he doesn't need TOYS...he just needs dust bunnies and sharp pencils that are lying around on the floor!    

Totally made me laugh - yes off course, that is all he needs...

So on with the ideas...
NERF GUNS!!! - 0h guess you need to wait a few years on that one...

I'm actually assuming that some of this you have in the "generic" toys category - wooden block, Duplo, plastic animals (dinosaurs might be lacking in a predominantly girl animal collection ).

Dump truck - yes - TONKA TRUCKS - construction vehicles awesome boy toys !!!!. The metal ones really for a little older but could start stocking up. I'm seaching now and not finding the traditonal ones     just the cartoony ones except for this one:

There are so many goofy plastic character ones to sort through to find the good ones, but there are still a few. Remember I am coming from having 20 year old sons and all those metal boy toys were readily available then....

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 1:25pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

SuzanneG wrote:
he doesn't need TOYS...he just needs dust bunnies and sharp pencils that are lying around on the floor!

So true! I see nothing wrong with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SuzanneG wrote:
I need BOY TOYS! Things that TOTALLY SCREAM BOY!

Alright....

This big bucket of plastic cars/trucks/vehicles. It isn't too big. You can stick one in your bag for chewing on. PERFECT!!!!!! FAVORITE HERE!!!!! Our big bucket of cars is still loved on/played with!

Board books of cars/trucks/fire engines/construction vehicles. I HAD NO IDEA how important and formational these were to a boy! NO CLUE!!!!!! I could not have differentiated between a bulldozer and an earth mover before my boys (and couldn't have cared less really), but they HAVE A NEED TO KNOW...and at a very young age!!!! Found all of these fantastic board books at Target. They're big....like 10" x 10".

We did a few duplos, but moved quickly into legos.

Playmobil 1.2.3 Fire Engine

Take a look at a few of the Playmobil 1.2.3 sets. Michael is almost old enough and these are a FAVORITE-FAVORITE-FAVORITE thing here. Playmobil, that is. And the 1.2.3 stuff has been enjoyed!

There you go! Auntie Jen says Michael needs:

Bucket of cars and trucks
Playmobil fire engine
Board books on construction vehicles

Give that little fella a big kiss from me!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 1:38pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh yes, Board books. Love/hate relationship with them! But your boys really need them.

Push Car is still being used all.the.time.

I can't seem to find it, but we also have a little wooden push thing with balls in it. My sons always take it out when I vacuum, as they are imitating. We also had some rolling wooden things with wooden balls -- make lovely noises.

Another REALLY popular is a kind of hammer and ball set like this. We have a few different kinds. All ages love it. Too much.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 1:56pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Car play mat

Not necessarily this one, but anything like it. There are many you can even make yourself.

Bubble Mower
We never had one that made good bubbles, but oh the fun! of just pushing it around.... great especially around 18 months when walking is going well

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 2:04pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:

Another REALLY popular is a kind of hammer and ball set like this. We have a few different kinds. All ages love it. Too much.

Oh, yes, I was just in the shower thinking about this thread - and remembering the hammer toys. Was going to suggest that. Boys LOVE to POUND!!! There are a variety of the pounding toys - some are with balls and some are with pegs. I think the ball ones are much more fun because the balls come through and the pegs just go down. There was a peg one that my brother had in the late 60's that was fabulous.

The pegs are hammered down the hole and come out the end. LOVED THIS!

I looked and looked for one like it when my boys were little, but alas... we did not have the internet and Ebay in those ancient days. Oh, how I wish we would have - could have found one maybe. Now I'll have to keep a look out for future grandkids.   Anyway we had to settle for the other more modern versions of the hammer & ball/peg toys. There are a lot.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 2:12pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

SuzanneG wrote:

Boy Dress Ups. Superman, Batman, Spiderman, Bob the Builder.

Just suggesting, because when I recently realised my boys were constatnly wearing princess dresses it was because we didn't have any boy dress ups. They now love their Spiderman/Superman outfits courtesy of ebay. They haven't worn a dress in weeks.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 2:21pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

These were some of the pound a ball toys we had:

And I am looking for pictures of the Playskool Giant Ball Maze we had - a definite boy favorite.

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 2:23pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Erin wrote:
SuzanneG wrote:

Boy Dress Ups. Superman, Batman,

OH YES - Every boy needs a CAPE!!!!!! An essential of boydom....

Our Domestic Church

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 2:36pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh yes, Mary! That's one of the ball toys we have -- very popular. But do know if another toy, like a car or Army guy is put down the chute, you might have to unscrew it to get it out.

I'm just saying.

And the hammer and peg pounding toy -- we have two.

Now both of these find a home on top of the fridge or TV stand when Mommy has a headache.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 2:41pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Erin wrote:
They now love their Spiderman/Superman outfits courtesy of ebay. They haven't worn a dress in weeks.

Most of my playsilks are purple and pink because they were seconds on deep discount from a friend, lol. Who knew real knights wore pink?

ETA: It brings to mind Men In Tights (don't think too badly of me, please).

HSMama
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote HSMama

Every boy needs a dumptruck. Make sure to buy one from a yard sale for use outside.

My boys always loved those toy chain saws. Pretending to cut things in half always appealed to the boys.

A cape! A must have! My boys love their cloak as well.

Chubbies vehicles! awesome!

Spiral speedways. Tons of entertainment.

Pounding toys are great, but my boys tend to lose all the pieces : (

Hotwheels, of course!

Wooden train tracks

Geotracks

Tractors! My little boys loved their tractors.

Firetrucks are great, but make sure they don't make too much noise

Lego duplos. We've gotten sooo much use from these over the years!

Plastic hammers. Boys love em!Plastic because they'll "fix" everything with it

Geospace Jump Rocket   for older boys but so much fun

lincoln logs

wooden blocks

Back to Top View HSMama's Profile Search for other posts by HSMama

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 3:48pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

balls, anything with wheels.. there's some really cute rubbery cars and trucks made for little baby hands to more easily grasp and roll than the regular hotwheels.

blocks.. dh made a big set just out of 2x4's.. no they're not hardwood but they stack and fall over just fine I'm thinking about adding some like this
just for fun and to add interest in an "old" toy.

little people.. there's farms and fire engines and planes and noah's ark and.. oh and the bus.. the bus is a favorite. You'll need lots of these because the girls will play with them too.. the last time I peeked in on a large group of kids playing with these.. the oldest was 11 and the youngest was 1 and all were having a ball.

definately a cape.. and armor and swords tend to be pretty appealing too. Not to mention you'll LOVE having these for next All Saints' Day costumes

Stuffed animals are well loved and played with. My mom just got my 7 yr old a pillow castle that stuffs inside out into a stuffed dragon.. he was thrilled.

The beanie baby (also webkinz) sized animals get played with most.. they all have names and do the most amazing things.. usually a boy will have one in each hand and there will be a couple of them having amazing imaginary adventures.

duplos.. definately

tonka trucks.. yep

at age 1 I still like the basic board books something that is super simple a word or two a page.. shapes, colors etc. mainly because you can't get in more than about 1 word a page yet

But for other books.. Frog and Toad, Little Bear, a bit older and The Mouse and the Motorcycle comes to mind.. Magic Tree House books are just adored here.. by girls and boys once they're reading.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 4:23pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Some of my boys favorite books have been the Home Depot handyman volumes They also love old WWII encyclopedias

I'm trying to think of books you wouldn't already have anyway. My boys have all liked the Jan Brett board books. They like all the Virginia Lee Burton books. My three year old's current favorite is Chester by Sid Hoff, and the boys all like those easy readers (Danny and the Dinosaur, Julius, etc...). Little Bear, too. They've all been charmed from a young age by the Tasha Tudor Mother Goose. But those all seem like books you would already have or know.

Richard Scarry is always popular, as Nancy said. Really, anything with lots of little detailed pictures like that. The boys also really like the Usborne animal search books and will sit and pour over the pictures for hours.

Mr. McGee is one of the three year old's favorites, but its a little wordy for younger ones.

There are a couple of cute board books without words Truck and Freight Train that would probably make ideal Christmas presents for a 1 year old boy. He'll love chewing on them

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 4:24pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

Suzanne,

After two girls when the boys came I had NO IDEA what to buy so I cery much understand your need.

I didn't check every link but this Melissa and Doug Medevial Castle was a HUGE hit in our house. I know you are still a bit away from that but links never hurt.

We also have these Melissa and Doug Car carriers that my boys adore!

Looks like you are getting a great list going!

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Oh! How could I forget??? Matchbox cars!!!

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version