Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: HPV? or not? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
pumpkinmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 6:25pm | IP Logged Quote pumpkinmom

Lindsay, I'm really confused now! I had my annual visit in November and I can't remember everything I was told, but what you said is different. I thought a PAP test was to test for cervical cancer. If you had the HPV test and that came negative and then you shouldn't have to worry about having a PAP unless you have relations with someone different. That is how I understood it and why they now recommend the test every 5 years. My doc said I still need to have my annual visit and have a pelvic exam which I assume would be manually checking for ovarian problems. Of course, I really don't know what I'm talking about but this is what I got out of the visit. It's hard to listen when someone is looking at places you wish they weren't.

Back to Top View pumpkinmom's Profile Search for other posts by pumpkinmom

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 6:44pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

Interesting b/c I thought I was set on NOT getting it and just today I ran into an acquaintenance and after years, they finally decided to get it for their oldest teens. She said typically they do NOT vax for everything but did for this one b/c her DH (who is an eye dr so not in the field per se but a dr nonetheless) said he did a TON of research and decided it was worth it. They concluded that soooo many people are sexually active that even if their children stayed pure, in 2, 5 or even 10 yrs from now their child could potentially marry someone that had a sexual past (even a minimal one) and could be at risk. I guess that is the scare tactic but she said they just decided it wasn't worth the risk to be Unprotected b/c of what can come of it.

I'm still on the fence. It's still too new and my kids are still so young so my vote would be no right now at ages 13 and 14 but I could potentially change my mind as they reach adulthood or advise them once they are adult teens.

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 6:55pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Quote:
you shouldn't have to worry about having a PAP unless you have relations with someone different.

I wasn't planning to bring this up, but since you mentioned this. Something got me (and the hubby) a bit panicky at my last OB-GYN checkup. They had me update my records, and I saw that in their records (I don't know if it's usual practice but they basically had part of my record from last time I was there printed out with the form I was filling out as part of my "renewal" (???). On it I noticed several errors. They had on record that I had a new "partner" within the last year, and that I changed my height and weight on the day of my last exam. It could be viewed as funny and ridiculous, but hubby and I were really concerned that medical personnel could enter such erroneous data, and unless we know/notice it, it's there in their records and medical decisions could be made based on that. We had them correct the data immediately, but I'm sharing this, in case any of you want to check your medical records on file at your doctor's office and make sure they don't have anything there that might be a problem later on.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 8:53pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

pumpkinmom wrote:
Lindsay, I'm really confused now! I had my annual visit in November and I can't remember everything I was told, but what you said is different. I thought a PAP test was to test for cervical cancer. If you had the HPV test and that came negative and then you shouldn't have to worry about having a PAP unless you have relations with someone different. That is how I understood it and why they now recommend the test every 5 years. My doc said I still need to have my annual visit and have a pelvic exam which I assume would be manually checking for ovarian problems. Of course, I really don't know what I'm talking about but this is what I got out of the visit. It's hard to listen when someone is looking at places you wish they weren't.

Well, you can get cervical cancer even if you don't have HPV. Otherwise, I just eouldn't get tested at all for wither.

Wow, Stef, that is disturbing!

Imo, if my daughter were getting married, and there was a chance her partner was HPV positive, than why couldn't they test for it then and make their own informed decision? Why do I have to make that decision based on a what if when they are 13?

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 9:57pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

And whatever happened to the *big news story* about all the deaths associated with this? they just "went away"??

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 10:08pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

My son is almost 22 and my daughter will be 16 next week. We have not had them vaccinated for HPV. They have, though, received the meningitis vaccine (one is in college, the other attends a dance camp on a college campus every summer).

They both understand the "when you need this" part of the HPV vaccination process. The doctors bring the vax up every year, but we continue to defer; my son is now old enough to make his own decisions, without telling us, and that is fine. Adults should make their own medical decisions, knowing that potential spouses might carry risk factors.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version