Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: HPV? or not? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 7:15am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

I am so confused.
I have read so many conflicting reports on this vaccine. Has anyone recently researched this vaccine for their own daughters?
My gynocologist just told me that unless the man is a virgin, the woman may very well be exposed to the HPV, even if she remained virginal until marraige. We really have no guarantees about our daughters' future husbands, do we?

I long for arranged marriages.
Anyone with sons want to make a deal?

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 7:29am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Well, if that is the case, then once you are talking marriage, it seems it can be a personal choice of one's daughter after discussing her future spouse's history with him.

Once my child is getting married, I'm no longer responsible for their medical choices. As an adult, they can weigh risks for themselves.

I don't like scare tactics from my doctors, and anything that relies on unknowns so far removed from me (my daughter might be getting married some day and might be marrying someone who might have contracted a disease that might cause cancer) is a scare tactic in my book.

I choose to avoid many interventions that exist because of STD risk. I actually had a nurse insinuate to me once that I couldn't be sure what my husband was doing unbeknownst to me. WAY out of line. Sadly, medical practices are often oriented toward worst case scenarios, and many professionals are programmed to present you with those scenarios because they see the worst of the worst.

Take the facts and weigh them, but don't let someone bully you into a choice. Imo, however, this is not your worry. When the time comes for it to be a risk, it will be your daughter's choice to make, not yours.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote Courtney

There are a couple of websites I looked at awhile back that listed and had testimonials from girls who had serious autoimmune problems from getting the vaccine. I don't plan on it for my dd. Everyone must make their own informed choice, but I agree with Lindsay that I don't like being bullied into it. I live in the state that our governor temporarily tried to mandate it for all girls 6th grade and above! Did not win me over at all!

Back to Top View Courtney's Profile Search for other posts by Courtney

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 9:56am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I would do your research. This vaccine has not been around long. Do we know long-term effects or effectiveness? Is it really effective? What are their claims? It won't make anyone completely invulnerable to all strains of HPV.

See articles like COGforlife.org

Gardasil Vaccine Facts

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

mamaslearning
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 3:57pm | IP Logged Quote mamaslearning

From I've read, it does not prevent cancer, it only prevents certain types of HPV that may or may not cause cancer in certain people. There are also other HPVs that can cause the same type of cancer, so it's not like you get 100% protection. IMHO, the risks outweigh any gain at this point. Plus, it smells of financial gains and not true health care (just my opinion based on what I've read).

Back to Top View mamaslearning's Profile Search for other posts by mamaslearning

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 10 2011 at 4:20pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

It seems to me like there is a whole lot of hysteria, scare tactics, and misinformation on both sides of this issue. Makes it really hard to know exactly what to do. The key I think is to find a physician whose advice you trust to be objective, who is current on the latest research, and who takes your concerns seriously. And then pray for guidance as you make your decision.
The other thing is that as long as you are certain your dd is not yet sexually active, there is no reason whatsoever to rush into a decision. You can wait, see how all this plays out, and make your decision at a later date.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 11 2011 at 1:02am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

I have so little trust in the pharmaceutical industry.
Also, the scare tactics just confuse me more.
I actually have great respect for my gynecologist, but she stated that the HPV vaccine was effective for 99% of the cervix cancer types. This is info contrary to what I've read before.
The pediatrician (also this week) was almost exasperated with me, because I told her that we decided against the vaccine for our dd. To top it off, she said: Do know that your insurance pays for the vaccine in full unto the age of 18. Afterwards you must pay for it yourself.
So, in addition come the financial pressure.
(this doctor really got on my nerves)

Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 11 2011 at 8:08am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I would ask my gynecologist for the written statistics that substantiate her claim.

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 11 2011 at 8:38am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

I know someone who is a pharmacist and had her daughters vaccinated. Her oldest daughter is in mid-20's and is now HPV +. I'm not privy to details of her eldest's ...life, but the pharmacist has insinuated that she thinks the vaccine gave her hpv. Not sure about that, but at the least, it does verify that it does not protect against all strains. And this pharmacist really regrets having her girls vaccinated.

My concern is that they are now pushing this vaccine for boys, too! I've known my boys' pediatrician a long time- from way back when I was working and he was a resident, so we probably talk more than average on how we feel about certain medical issues. He is not convinced about the safety of gardasil, and he most definitely won't be encouraging it for the boys in his practice. Right now, the moms of daughters need to request it; it isn't a standard offer.

As far as regular childhood vaccines, we do vaccinate. But I do have concerns about the gardasil, so I won't have my boys getting that. My comfort level just isn't there.

Just like all other vaccines (and, everything,) it means reading and figuring out what you need for your family in your circumstances.

Here    is a link to an older article from ABC news, with their Dr. Timothy Johnson (not sure if he is still on GMA or ABC for that matter?) who isn't certain that he would encourage the vaccine.
And here is the latest from ABC news, talking about getting boys vaccinated against hpv.

Last, this page from the CDC talks about some of the serious side effects that have people concerned.

I hope this is all somewhat helpful!

In Christ,
Stacy in MI

(I edited my "pharmacist" spelling. I can't, for some reason, preview my posts, and I just looked at it and thought, "Ugh!"   
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 11 2011 at 8:39am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

St. Ann wrote:
I long for arranged marraiges.
Anyone with sons want to make a deal?

I have six boys, 23 down to 7.

In Christ,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 11 2011 at 12:00pm | IP Logged Quote Michaela

There is an interesting blog post by Dr. Nadal. If you aren't a regular reader, his bio is available on his blog.

I don't recommend reading this post with children looking over your shoulder because he does include how HPV is spread.

In response to a comment, Dr. Nadal wrote, "It’s a real dilemma for parents, and I agree that it’s a stinking rotten mess. My purpose here is to shed some light on the issue and not to judge good parents with good morals who might want to go the extra mile for their children."

Gardasil: What About the Boys?

If you have time, read the comments, too.

**edited to add: The information shared is for parents of girls, too.

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 16 2011 at 2:46am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

A friend of mine asked her Doctor about the vaccine and one point really stood out:

"Another problem is that no one knows how long the vaccination will last. A life time? 3 years? 5 years? No one knows. Yet, at least tacitly, the advertisements lend themselves to an interpretation that there is an immunity conferred that is lifelong. That error is quite dangerous."

I am certainly glad we don't have to make a decision about this today.

SaraP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 17 2011 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote SaraP

Stephaine-

The Guardasil vaccine is supposed to protect against the 4 most common strains of HPV which are believed to be responsible for 70% of cervical cancer cases. As others have pointed out, there is no data at this point as to how long immunity will last.

I also had a very interesting discussion a few years with with Dr. Pilar Vigil (who has been resarching HPV for years) and she indicated that the risk of HPV developing into cervical cancer is actually very low unless a woman also takes hormonal contraceptives. (I only have a few minutes now, but will come back later and post a citation for this.)

I am generally very much pro-vaccine, but this one just doesn't make sense to me.

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2012 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Article on HPV vaccine

A dear friend just sent me this article from a secular source on the subject and I thought others might also benefit by it.

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2012 at 12:27pm | IP Logged Quote Barbara C.

In her book "You're Teaching My Child What!!" Dr. Miriam Grossman talks about how HPV can be spread by general skin to skin contact, and they've even found it under the fingernails of some college boys.

At this time I have no plans to have any of my girls receive HPV vaccination. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they start pushing them for infants and toddlers.

Mom to "spirited" dd(9), "spunky" dd (6), "sincere" dd (3), "sweet" dd (2), and baby girl #5 born 8/1/12!!
Box of Chocolates
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

So, my DS had his 13 yr well-check last Summer and lo and behold, this HPV vaccine was heavily (imho) pushed for him. With such scare tactics as "even boys' 1st sexual experience may be w/o their consent".    I know what he's alluding to and granted we can't protect our children from all possible infractions so being a usual and scheduled vaccinating parent, this is one I said no to. We hadn't had DD 14 vaccinated for it either.

So, I'm bumping this thread to see if anyone has any new information since the last post here was almost 2 years ago!   

And last, yes, I will arrange marriages for any of my children.      We watch 19 Kids and Counting and I love how the Duggar family has courting WITH chaperones. I've "jokingly" told me kids that's how it's going to be...the big kids can chaperone for each other. They loved that! I have told them that dating is a time when they are considering a mate for marriage and getting to know members of the opposite sex can be done w/o one-on-one solo dating.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Kathryn wrote:

And last, yes, I will arrange marriages for any of my children.      We watch 19 Kids and Counting and I love how the Duggar family has courting WITH chaperones. I've "jokingly" told me kids that's how it's going to be...the big kids can chaperone for each other. They loved that!

Oh, you're NICE.. I threaten to send my 9 yr old "town crier" with them (none of mine are dating yet, though they have lots of things to go and do with groups of friends)

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote jawgee

The pediatrician started pushing the first dose of HPV at my DS' 11YO checkup last winter. I declined, but I know I'll be facing that conversation again this year.

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

I don't have new information, except to say that it's not only being pushed heavily here in the US, in the third world countries (specifically the Philippines) CELEBRITIES are being paid to endorse it among other things.   And they're pushing it in the schools as well, including Catholic schools. Oh, and they do a promotional thing, where if you get this with a friend, etc. or within this many months, you get A DISCOUNT.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

My goodness! Talk about scare tactics far removed from reality!

Has anyone else discussed the change in recommended policy regarding PAP tests and HPV? Apparently, according to my midwife, the recommendation used to be a PAP every two years (I think--it was a few months ago, and I have nursing mama brain), but only recently, they changed it to being tested for HPV every 5 years and only being screened for Ovarian cancer if you are HPV positive. I didn't ask my midwive what her position is regarding the vax itself, but she did not like the new recommendation. We decided that, since I am not at risk for HPV, it would be better to continue with the traditional screening. I think my midwife was concerned because it left people vulnerable to not having their ovarian cancer caught if it did not originate because of HPV, and because for people like me, the policy didn't make sense. AND my insurance did not cover the test I don't know if it would have covered the HPV test since it is now considered standard, but apparently it is a very expensive test (another reason it seemed ridiculous for me to take it).

Anyway, I had a newborn at the visit and didn't have time to chat further, so I'm fuzzy on the details, but it seems that so much emphasis is being put on this one STD, it makes me uncomfortable and sad.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version