Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Member Retreat: Advent Reflection & Plans Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 03 2011 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

We are quickly approaching the "New Year" - the Liturgical Year, that is. Only a few more weeks. Here in the US there has been much anticipation of the New Missal translation that will go into affect at that time. Another thread is focusing on that aspect. We also wanted to take some time here to reflect on the upcoming season and living it in our Domestic Churches.

Advent Devotions and Ideas - Catholic Culture
Advent Season - Women for Faith and Family

So what are your plans?

How do you as a family recognize this time and help your families understand its meaning for our lives?

Any special traditions?

How is this similar or different from what you did as a child?

Other aspects you would like to address? Just jump in.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 03 2011 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I just love the old Treasure Chest of Fun & Fact that I discovered archived a few years ago. Was looking today to see how the preparation of the season was presented in the 50s and 60s (the childhood of some of us here )

See the full articles that these pages come from archived here.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 03 2011 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Those Treasure Chest pages are really great Mary!

We usually prepare our Advent wreath during Thanksgiving preparations, since Advent begins soon after. We've accumulated several Advent books to choose prayers and Advent meditations from. Last year I found purple placemats, which will be placed beneath the wreath and on our family altar. We usually prepare our Jesse Tree ornament garland at the same time. We have a well-used set of Jesse Tree paper ornaments, and have slowly added various other ornaments through the years; several brass ornaments ordered as a set from Our Father's House several years ago, a glittery gold apple to signify Adam and Eve, a golden harp for King David, an Annunciation ornament, three jeweled crowns for the Wise Men, a Star of Bethlehem, a jeweled Cross, etc. We keep our eye out for appropriate ornaments at thrift shops, garage sales and Christmas clearance sales...anticipating Advent year round serves as a continual reminder that we are always awaiting the second coming of Christ!

When dc were younger we made paper chains to celebrate Advent,sometimes writing good deeds or special intentions inside the links ~ it's extra nice to cut the chain links with fancy edged scrap scissors! We liked to read from various Advent picture books when dc were younger ~ I still like to place them in a basket for visitors, especially grandchildren. One year we ordered Angel Chains through Printery House, which usually offers an Advent sticker activity set and Advent books as well.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 03 2011 at 7:53pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I haven't given our current Advent too much thought. We have our traditions which I have expanded over the years: Advent Wreath, Advent calendars, Jesse Tree, O Antiphons, and the Advent hymns. We really focus on Advent/Christmas reading, which helps with the anticipation.

We have our picture books mapped out for the season, although Strega Nona's Gift by Tomie De Paola and The Juggler Rabbit Trail need to be included.

I also want to give some chapter books to my older son, so I'm working on picking something there.

Having St. Nicholas and St. Lucia and Immaculate Conception and Our Lady of Guadalupe feast really break up the anticipation, too.

Last year I read for my own personal reading Come, Lord Jesus: Meditations on the Art of Waiting by Mother Mary Francis. I may repeat that, because it was so moving. A Child in Winter by Caryll Houselander is in contention.

I have to prepare an Advent retreat for K-3 for our homeschool group, and I usually pick things that I want to do in our home, too. I'm just trying to think of a nice craft that is also useful. My Little Advent is what we did last year. I'll update it for this year, but I think I'll send that home with the children to do on their own.

I keep trying to figure out a way to incorporate the new Mass translations with our Advent plans.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 03 2011 at 8:00pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

It looks like we won't be traveling this thanksgiving.. so I'm looking forward to be abe to start advent without feeling "behind" from the start.

I'm thinking about getting out one of our Advent storybooks this year. and of course we'll do our pink and purple advent paper chains for counting down advent.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Nov 03 2011 at 11:06pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

JodieLyn wrote:
It looks like we won't be traveling this thanksgiving.. so I'm looking forward to be able to start advent without feeling "behind" from the start.

This is our first year in a looong time to not travel for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I am SO excited that we won't be starting behind! But I'm also sorry for my kids, who look forward to the travel each year and are bummed this year.

For years I lamented that we 'weren't forming any traditions' because we traveled every year. I'd grown up being at home with the house decorated and the Advent wreath on the table. I wanted that for my kids. Then one year I realized that traveling and spending at least part of Advent and the Christmas season with my parents *was* our tradition. The kids love it and it doesn't matter that it's not like it was when I was a child.   

This year, we'll not be keeping with our tradition. So I plan to pull out the Jesse Tree, decorate with purple, bake, celebrate the saint's feasts, read Strega Nona and other books that prepare us for Christ's birth. I know I'll plan more than we actually *do.* It always happens that way.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 12:07am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Good point Janette. My kids, well all of us, are disappointed but there's no help for it this year.. it's because of temporary medical issues that my ILs can't host Thanksgiving.

But we compromised on the holidays.. we travel at Thanksgiving. Unless we simply can't.. we've had a Confirmation and a birth too close to make it possible for instance but we don't try and have "our turn" to host.. we travel and we plan on it.

And we stay home at Christmas. Open invitation for family to join us that we try and reiterate when given the opportunity. But we plan for it to be just us.

This works well because the weather/road conditions after Thanksgiving often make travel impossible or at least highly unadvisable.

And of course with my sister and family and now my mom living here in town we do have family that we get together with.. regardless of weather. We actually walked the 4 or so blocks to my sister's one Christmas Eve in a snowstorm. We figured we could walk it as easily as we could shovel out the snow berms from the snow plow going by.

But I do enjoy the times we are home for all of Advent (which does happen occationally even with travel at Thanksgiving).

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 2:38am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Servant2theKing wrote:
...anticipating Advent year round serves as a continual reminder that we are always awaiting the second coming of Christ!

That is a great point - and a great way to experience that year round. I loved the ornaments you described, Servant. You also mention it being a garland (instead of the traditional "tree"). What does it look like? Is it something that rests on a table as a table runner or is it hung on a wall, or draped in some way? Would love to see it. Which makes me think of something new (for me) - has anyone ever incorporated the Jesse tree (as a wreath) with the Advent wreath. That would be pretty cool - though might be crowded - my wheels are turning on this one....

We should link that old thread with the hanging Advent wreaths. I'll try to find that in the morning unless someone wants to beat me to it... (And any other Advent wreath and Jesse Tree threads)

JennGM wrote:

We have our picture books mapped out for the season, although Strega Nona's Gift by Tomie De Paola and The Juggler Rabbit Trail need to be included.
Ooooh, the Little Juggler rabbit trail is a great idea for an Advent focus.
And our library ordered the new Strega Nona. I've been on the wait list and see from my account record that it is currently in transit to our library for me. Should be there today. (But of course I'm not going to be able to check it out until I return at least 96 other books )

Our Domestic Church

mamaslearning
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 7:30am | IP Logged Quote mamaslearning

I can't seem to get any traditions rolling! Between pregnancies and new babies, the most we do is the Advent candles (not even a wreath)! I'm planning on starting some things this year since the kids are growing up too quickly.

We spend lots of time with family throughout the season for multiple birthdays, two extended-family parties (mil's family then fil's family), I hope to set up a baking day with cousins and grandma, and there's also homeschool and church parties.

Back to Top View mamaslearning's Profile Search for other posts by mamaslearning

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 8:32am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

MaryM wrote:
JennGM wrote:

The Juggler Rabbit Trail need to be included.
Ooooh, the Little Juggler rabbit trail is a great idea for an Advent focus.

This is one of my favorite rabbit trails and since the beginning of our Advent is going to be quite busy, I'm thinking of focusing on The Little Juggler Rabbit Trail! I think that would be a lovely Advent focus, too! I'll probably go through our plans to live Advent and pull out some of our favorite picture books and look toward incorporating some simple Advent activities as well.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

There are a few threads highlighting Advent candles and hanging Advent wreaths. Thought we'd enjoy looking back for ideas.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 9:27am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

And speaking of....I wanted to drop in yet another glowing review ( pun intended!!) for the lovely Advent tapers from Big Dipper Wax Works. These are 100% beeswax candles and smell just lovely! These are my favorite Advent candles! I like that they're quite tall, which is great for a family that lights their Advent candles every night of Advent. It's really upsetting when the 1st candle of Advent doesn't make it to the end of Advent!    The colors of the Big Dipper Advent candles are rich - the purple is a plum and the rose is a true rose, not a pastel pink.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 11:34am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Oh, I am just rediscovering all kinds of treasures! Last November/December I was a mess trying to sell my house while very pregnant and such. I missed a lot! Hopefully this year I can makes some more plans (and help those plans actualy come into fruition).

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

mamaslearning
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 11:39am | IP Logged Quote mamaslearning

I don't remember where I got this idea (probably on here somewhere ), but I do my candles differently. I use clear glass votive holders and glue purple and pink ribbon to make my "colored candle". I then use a white votive candle in each and place this on a tray.

I keep eyeing all the lovelies wreaths!

Back to Top View mamaslearning's Profile Search for other posts by mamaslearning

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 11:47am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Lara, I do our "Advent wreath" somewhat the same way.. I use colored votives with a ribbon and sprig of evergreen tied to the holder (one of my favorites was wide mouthed wine glasses half filled with salt) but I don't have anywhere to put an Advent wreath safe from little hands.. so the candles that can be set out on the table to form a wreath but can also be set up on a high shelf that wouldn't have space for a wreath.

-Sir Walter Scott

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

And, I've seen all kinds of tutorials (on Pinterest) for coloring mason jars to look like vintage glass. Wouldn't it be pretty to tint some purple and pink and use Mason jars as votives - or actual votives or wine glasses could be tinted, too.

Our Domestic Church

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 12:04pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

We've used the same white candles for years. Some amazing beeswax variety that came with the wreath as a housewarming when my husband bought his first house before he'd even met me. He tied purple and pink ribbons to the white candles, and that is what we have used for years (though, some years we were not lighting it much during the week).

This is our first year for new candles, and I bought them from a local friend who runs a food buying co-op. Her mother makes them from beeswax, and she was selling them for her mom. We'll see how they last.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 12:41pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Love reading everyone's ideas for advent wreaths!

Mary M, we've used our Jesse Tree garland several ways;
~strung over double windows in our dining area
~on a long shelf beneath the same double windows
~atop a half wall room divider (between our livingroom and dining area

The last is my favorite, since we can place the ornaments on both sides and enjoy the garland from both rooms.

The idea of incorporating Jesse Tree ornaments into an Advent wreath is wonderful! You might be able to do so easily with a hanging wreath or a taller candelabra (as I described in last year's Advent wreath candle thread). I believe Michele Quigley has shared a link to some printable Jesse Tree ornaments she designed, which might be just the right size for such a project!
ETA: Found Michele's page for her lovely Jesse Tree ornaments here: http://family-centered.com/living/the-jesse-tree/

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 1:58pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Our traditions:

special prayers/blessings at mealtimes

Advent hymns as part of our bedtime prayers

Advent calendars

Advent candles -- we also don't do a wreath, just a set of either colored votives or white votives in colored holders. My ones from last year got broken (yes, all four), so we're back to square one again. I like the idea of coloring Mason jars.

Advent/Christmas reading

Moving our Nativity figures around the house (and hoping the really key players don't get lost).

O Antiphons -- my favorite! Some years ago I made O Antiphon ornaments, and we hang them on the brass chandelier over our kitchen table on the appropriate nights. I blogged about them a couple of years ago here.

A couple of years ago at Goodwill I found this big white wooden church with little numbered doors all over it -- I had to stare at it for a while before I realized that it was an Advent calendar. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with it -- we already have calendars with doors that open and show you things, and I've never managed to collect enough little things to be in this one (besides which each door doesn't have its own compartment behind it, and stuff just rattles around loose inside). A friend of mine suggested putting things *into* it every day, and I like that idea, but I'm still trying to think how to set the whole thing up to be meaningful. Any thoughts?

Sally

eta: And HOW could I forget my purple tablecloth, which is really a "Dry Clean Only" shower curtain! As of last year, our table is now properly vested for the Advent season.

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 2:36pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

Quote:

A couple of years ago at Goodwill I found this big white wooden church with little numbered doors all over it -- I had to stare at it for a while before I realized that it was an Advent calendar. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with it -- we already have calendars with doors that open and show you things, and I've never managed to collect enough little things to be in this one (besides which each door doesn't have its own compartment behind it, and stuff just rattles around loose inside). A friend of mine suggested putting things *into* it every day, and I like that idea, but I'm still trying to think how to set the whole thing up to be meaningful. Any thoughts?

Sally

My first thought is that this might be a good place to place small homemade gifts or decorations for Christmas.   Or iffy-bitty baby gifts (toiletries, booties, socks. mitts etc) 'for baby Jesus' to be donated to a baby in need.   
Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version