Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Member Retreat: Homeschool Meme pt 1 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 03 2011 at 8:53am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

We thought we'd start our retreat with a general homeschooling meme!

1) What originally motivated you to do homeschooling?

2) What favorite books have you read on homeschooling?

3) Must have references? Ones you return for refreshers?

4) Favorite saint? Patron of your homeschool?

5) Favorite picture book authors and illustrators.

6) Favorite subject to teach; favorite subject of your children

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Nov 03 2011 at 9:06am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

1. My mom first introduced me to the idea of homeschooling. I thought it *completely* odd. Who would do something like that?? Well, apparently I would!      We lived in an area where the schools, public and private, left much to be desired so homeschooling seemed like a good option for us.

2. Don't throw anything, but I found The Well-Trained Mind very useful... especially *after* figuring out how to pull ideas from it to combine with Educating the Whole-Hearted Child and Real Learning. I also found Catherine Levison's A Charlotte Mason Education to be of invaluable help.

3. Tammy Duby's The Ultimate Lap Book Handbook, Anna Comstock's Handbook of Nature Study, all of the Five in a Row Manuals, and mostly websites and booklists.

4. Our Lady of Guadalupe, Maria Goretti, Padre Pio, and St. Therese of Liseaux. For a long time we asked St. Thomas Aquinas for intercession regarding homeschooling.

5. Tomie dePaola, Jill Barklem (I just LOVE Brambly Hedge) and Jan Brett.

6. to teach, math. Favorite subject for the kids depends on the child. One loves literature, two love math, one loves...not doing school.    ...edited to add that I absolutely love teaching nature study as well...probably more than math it's just that math comes easier.

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 03 2011 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote Mimip

1. I went to college with a bunch of homeschooled kids and thought it was a novel idea. When I studied Elem. Education I realized that homeschooling was wonderful but I am not a workbook person. So, I started homescholing with a ton of workbooks and Five in a row that another new Mom introduced me to. Then I found....

2. I would not be where I am now, literally on this board too, without Elizabeth Foss' Real Learning. It changed my whole world. Then I started reading Educating the whole hearted Child and all the rest of the other Charlotte Mason books. I found this board and it enriched everything.

3. See above plus a ton of blogs. To tell you the truth I use the search feature here at least 3 times a week to find resources.

4. St. Francis, St. Maximilian Kolbe. Our Lady of the Pilar (my patron) Our School is the School of All Saints because I love them ALL!!! My favorite prayer is the Litany of All Saints.

5. Eric Carle, Jan Brett, Peggy Rathmann but my all time favorite picture book author is Patricia Polacco.

6. Science and History. I love them both and I love to teach them! They are my kids favorites as well!

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 03 2011 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

cathhomeschool wrote:
We thought we'd start our retreat with a general homeschooling meme!

How exciting!!! I have just a few minutes this morning....and have my cup of coffee in hand, and I'm sitting next to a nice warm fire in my mom's big cozy chairs! Idyllic for meme writing, really!

Quote:

Well, ironically enough - my mom! Funny since I'm sitting here in her house right now and last night I raided her shelves again for more books! She began homeschooling in the early 80's, but just my brother and sister, not me - I enjoyed the benefits of homeschooling on the peripheral. It was a challenge as she came home from working outside the home (something she always dreamed of doing), and we became a one income family - not easy on my dad's meager professor pay. At the time I can see how it challenged us, but looking back I see the gifts of frugality and thriftiness and contentment in simple treasures that it afforded and taught us. When I got married, I made sure that my potential fella understood what a big and important part of my life homeschooling had been (even though I hadn't been homeschooled! ), and when our oldest was two we had serious discussions about pursuing home education. Though all of us could cite legitimate concerns about away-schools (private and public), Rob and I chose home education for positive reasons. And we continue to choose home education because of all the positive delights and benefits it affords our family.

Quote:

I loved Catholic Education: Homeward Bound and all of Catherine Levison's books, and then of course Charlotte Mason's 6 volume set, but I mostly read from the book of mom. I'm really so blessed in that respect. I'd just reflect on mom and my brother and sister's experience in a certain area, or ask mom her thoughts on something and then apply it to my own situation. Mom had to be creative with the resources she found/used (out of necessity of budget limits and...in the early 80's there just wasn't much around for a Catholic CM'er...so you had to make your own way.) Anyway, this was really formational for me as much as, if not more than a book because it taught me NOT to rely on any one idea or resource, NOT to get bogged down in the rich and voluminous resource offering we're not blessed with, but to think creatively and apply to my own family. Mom really challenged me with ideas and encouraged me to stretch outside of the box and be creative.

Quote:

** CM's 6 volume set
** The Catherine Levison books (really enjoyed returning to her books when we started high school!)
** Readers Digest North American Wildlife
** Handbook of Nature Study - Anna Botsford Comstock
** The Timetables of History by Bernard Grun
** Drawing Textbook by Bruce McIntyre
** ABC's and All Their Tricks by M. Bishop
** Nature Friend Magazine
** Catechism of the Catholic Church (does that count in this meme?)

I know I'm going to miss one since I can't look at my shelves....still thinking...maybe I'll come back to this one.

Quote:

** St. John Bosco - he offers so much wisdom in terms teaching and applying things practically to children!
** Our Lady of Perpetual Help
** The Infant Jesus of Prague

Quote:

Oh my stars!!!!!! Seriously???

Alois Carigiet
Robert McCloskey
Virginia Lee Burton
Eloise Wilkin
Lois Lenski
Tasha Tudor
Lynd Ward
Munro Leaf
Margaret Wise Brown
Maj Lindman
Holling C. Holling
D'Aulaire
Marguerite de'Angeli

I love Jill Barklem, too, Janette - we love the Brambly Hedge books!!!! So charming!

I'm making myself stop...and it bothers me because I know I'm missing someone!!!!! Might have to come back to this one!

Quote:

I don't teach. They read and we discuss....and I just relish those discussions so much and I guess if I had to narrow down to a subject I'd say science/natural history which would tie with history.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 03 2011 at 10:02am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

1. We received military orders to Italy and my husband told me I HAD to homeschool while we were there because the base school was so very, very bad. I didn't want to at all! But...God has His ways...our parish hosted a homeschool panel, I discovered that a friend was homeschooling her older son, etc. God dropped so many hints about homeschooling into my life that I finally looked up at my kitchen ceiling and said, out loud, "All right! I'll do it!" - and there were no more "hints" after that.

2. Favorite books on homeschooling - wow, there are so many. When I first started, I read the "What Your Child Needs to Know" series and realized that I could indeed help my son learn all that stuff. Maureen Wittmann's Catholic Homeschool Companion helped me a great deal, too.

3. My dictionary, thesaurus, nature guides and Bible!

4. St. Therese of Lisieux has been important in my life since early childhood. St. Pio (as in "Padre") is another favorite and he is the patron of our homeschool and my son's Confirmation patron. Other favorites: St. Gianna Beretta Molla, St. Monica, St. Catherine of Siena. St. Maximilian Kolbe is about to become important in our home, too, as he is dd's Confirmation patron.

5. Picture books: Tomie dePaola, Jan Brett, Tasha Tudor, Margaret Apple, James Marshall and many, many more!

6. I totally love history and it is my favorite subject to teach. My son's favorite subject is history, but dd much prefers science.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 03 2011 at 11:13am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Had several friends who were going that route and much of my parent reading as a new mom focused on self-paced learning, following child's lead (Holt). I fought the actual homeschooling though and both my older boys were enrolled in the local school for several years, until I knew it was time to try the homeschooling thing. That was 15 years ago.

Teach Your Own: The John Holt Book Of Homeschooling,
Ruth Beechick's You Can Teach Your Child Successfully
   and The Three R's
Real Learning (Foss)
For the Love of Literature (Wittmann)
Catholic Homeschool Companion (Wittmann)

hmmm....

Some favorites - Our Lady of La Leche, St. Teresa of Avila, St. Lawrence, St. Aloysius, St. Monica, St. Michael, St. Edmund Campion (don't have a particualr patron of our homeschool )

Leo Politi           
Margaret Wise Brown
Tomie dePaola
Virginia Lee Burton
Robert McCloskey
Eloise Wilken
Clement Hurd
all the Pinkneys
all the Winters
Lita Judge
E.B. Lewis
Steven Jenkins
Deborah Hopkinson
Wendall Minor

Science and history (hands-on). The kid's favorites change form time to time. Not sure of "current."

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 03 2011 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

1. This could be such a long answer for me. I had never heard of homeschooling as an option. As our oldest got closer to school age my dh and I decided we would go the private school route and lots of parent involvement. We both loved books and learning and very quickly had a system of library baskets going. No surprise our first is a bookworm, and a little ahead of herself. She didn't fit in school, was very bored by lessons, and much rather be reading a book (while the rest of the class was still blending ). (Forget all the social dysfunctions we were witnessing those two years) We decided before her 2nd grade year that we would homeschool. As for how I got to CM....

2. Like Mimi, I have to give credit to E. Foss, her Real Learning book (which I found at a used book table at my first Catholic HS Conference) led me to CM and this forum. Catherine Levison, perfect for getting started. Karen Andreola, nostalgic & romantic. And my new favorites CM's Original series (reading through School Education right now).

3. This forum, wonderful CM blogs, SCM books: (Hearing and Reading, Telling and Writing; Delightful Reading), Honey for a Child's Heart & Teen's Heart, all my CM books, The Catholic Home...

4. The Holy Family

5. Tomei DePaola, Tasha Tudor, Kate Greenaway, Margaret Wise Brown, Jane Yolen, Beatrix Potter, Jill Barklem (love Brambley Hedge too), Arnold Lobel, Sandra Boynton... the list could go on!!

6. I love Jen's answer. I'm finding that they read and then we talk about it. My favorite to discuss is science/nature studies. They have so many favorites. My five year old told me the other day that his word book was his favorite. My oldest dd it would be history and anything she gets to read. Next dd enjoys her science best. My six year old loves art and creating.

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

zookeeper9
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 03 2011 at 11:34am | IP Logged Quote zookeeper9

I had been called to homeschool for many years. DH wasn't until our one son started falling further and further behind in school. We were back in for with IEPs and still he was struggling. Finally in December of 2009, we decided to bring him home. His outlook with learning totally changed.

In November of 2010, our oldest son was being bullied at school and the school was doing nothing about it. He was the issue, not the other children. So he asked to come home.

In January of 2011 one of my 10 year old daughters was being harrassed at school. Again they did nothing about it. So both she and her sister came home. I know have 7 children I am homeschooling, with one a senior in the high school.

We have decided the children will not set foot back in a the schools since our family and faith lives have totally changed.

I have read and enjoyed many.

Catholic Education, Homeward Bound was my first and most influential for me personally.

Charlotte Mason's 6 volume set

Real Education by Elizabeth Foss

Catholic Homeschooling by Mary Kay Clark

I love the internet linked Osbourne books. My children love to learn about the topic and then explore it more on the internet. I have never found anything objectionable from the linke.

St. Terese, the Little Flower has made herself known to me this year and I have been studying and learning about herand her life. I love when they decided you need to learn more about them. They can really make pests of themselves can't they.

Out Lady is the patron of our homeschool. We have started to learn about each of her names.

I love dePaula!

6) Favorite subject to teach; favorite subject of your children.

I love teaching science.   The children love science and history. Math and literature are so so for all of us, we do them because we have to.

Plus one saint in heaven Andrew 1/22-7/5/2005
Back to Top View zookeeper9's Profile Search for other posts by zookeeper9 Visit zookeeper9's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 03 2011 at 12:57pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Mothering. I saw homeschooling as a natural extension of my vocation. This combined with my background in education (and my never-ending interest in related philosophies) and relocating often. Homeschooling gave us family stability...still does!

When I started homeschooling, there were few books out on the topic and I'm not inclined to read "how to homeschool" books. Part of my passion for homeschooling is driven by making what we do here a unique reflection of God's will for us. I did read one book early on and it scared me! It was very rigid, cold, and flawed philosophically (from my perspective.)   

I use this board as my main go to for references, refreshers, ideas, and more. I am very attracted to the voice of women who are in the trenches and making it work.   

St. Peter! We chose a hardworking fisherman because our family isn't greatly intelligent as much as we are hardworking - and proud of that. We also see in him great strength to persevere, great humility in his weaknesses, and we think he must get a kick out of being our school patron and our rough and tumble ways.

ETA: Some of my favorite saints are Our Lady of Guadalupe, St. Bernadette, St. Therese the Little Flower, St. Theresa of Avila, St. John the Baptist, St. Joseph, St. Anthony, St. John Bosco, so many more!

Goodness, this is a tough one. I'll probably answer it with whatever book we're currently enjoying! So today the answers are humorous:

Numeroff & Bond, "If You Give" series.
London & Remkiewicz, "Froggy Gets Dressed"
Wiesner, "Tuesday"
Rey, "Curious George" series.
McPhail, "Pig Pig Rides" & others (seriously love this book)
Lester & Munsinger, "Tacky the Penguin"
Lobel, "Frog and Toad" series.
Rathman, "Officer Buckle and Gloria" & others.
Wood & Wood, "Napping House" & others.

I'd better stop there!

Language arts across the board! I love to teach reading and writing, both the formal structures and creative aspects. We are constantly discussing, persuading, asking and sharpening other communication skills. We like to combine classic and contemporary flare and media. We tag on related books (of course) music, movies, outings.   Currently the boys and I are enjoying learning about, reading, and writing poetry, an absolute first in this house!

We really stink at math so I'm really glad you didn't bring that up .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 03 2011 at 5:06pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Quote:

Realizing how much our family was running in different directions -- my oldest son, in school all day and with homework and sports after school, hardly ever got to see the baby brother he'd prayed into being : ).   We took him out after 2nd grade at the parish school.

Quote:

Patchwork of Days; also Nancy Wallace's Better than School, Homeschooling with Gentleness, and Charlotte Mason's books.

Quote:

Charlotte Mason's books, and Poetic Knowledge.   I am sure there are others but they are not coming to mind right now.

Quote:

Favorites are St Therese of Lisieux, St Francis de Sales, St Thomas Aquinas, St Augustine.   My patron is Our Lady, though, since she was the one I originally asked to make the homeschooling thing work for us.

Quote:
5) Favorite picture book authors and illustrators

Hmmm. ... Beatrix Potter, Michael Hague and AA Milne

Quote:

My favorites are literature and religion. I think literature's probably the one my kids like the best too. I extend it out to almost every other subject area, especially history, which would be our second favorite. Probably most of what my kids got from our homeschool came from a book, or a discussion about a book, or acting out a book in pretend play

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 03 2011 at 6:44pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Quote:

Again, it started with my mother. I homeschooled some of my high school years. It wasn't ideal, but there were glimpses that I just loved. That planted a seed. I knew I wanted to teach, and was pursuing that avenue through college (teaching music and elementary age).

I worked for one of the Catholic homestudies when it was local, and I got to see more nitty gritty.

My only hindrance was that I wasn't attracted to the boxed curriculum. I kept wondering if there was another way.

When I met dh, I was sure I would homeschool. I had scoped out the local schools and just wanted to be part of my child's learning.

Quote:

Real Learning was the first book that opened my eyes in doing things a bit differently. I didn't have to use boxed curriculum, and I could use more of the living books that were already piling in my bookshelves. Everything was solved.

After that book, I haven't read too many "how-to" books on homeschooling unless they have a Charlotte Mason bent. But second favorite book would be When Children Love to Learn.

Quote:

When Children Love to Learn
Books by Catherine Levinson
Charlotte Mason's works
Several Simply Charlotte Mason works
Designing Your Own Catholic Curriculum
Reading the Saints

But I refer to many books all the time -- probably too much.

Quote:

St. Therese, St. Martha, St. Isidore the Farmer, St. Josemaria, St. Thomas More.

Our patron of our homeschool is St. Josemaria Escriva.

Quote:

Too many.
Tasha Tudor
Elizabeth Orton Jones
Eloise and Esther Wilkin
Garth Williams
Leo Politi
Feodor Romanovsky
and many more.

Quote:

Literature, history, geography and science -- actually all the subjects.
I think my son's favorite is math.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 03 2011 at 7:01pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Nothing dramatic. Just a slow realization that I could do a better job of it than the schools could, plus wanting to spend my days with my kids.

Real Learning was by far the most influential for me in the early years. Then Charlotte Mason herself as well as Maria Montessori. Lately I am more drawn to Holt and other unschoolers, including Suzie Andres and her "Little Way" book.

CM original series.
Audubon and Peterson Field guides
Discovering Great Artists by Kohl and Solga
A new favorite: Games for Writing by Peggy Kaye

Our patron is St Francis of Assisi. Other favorites are St Clare, St Theresa of Avila, and St Therese of Lisieux.

5) Favorite picture book authors and illustrators:
That's so hard. There are so many...
Beatrix Potter, Jan Brett, Maurice Sendak...

6) Favorite subject to teach; favorite subject of your children.
Science and nature study, as well as art.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 03 2011 at 7:04pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

There's something about memes that make me freeze and not remember anything! I meant to say reading Maria Montessori and Sofia Cavalletti have influenced me greatly.

And St. Francis of Assisi is one of my favorites, too. I think I have too many favorites!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

anitamarie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 03 2011 at 9:33pm | IP Logged Quote anitamarie

cathhomeschool wrote:

My kids were in school and doing well overall. My oldest ds was developing anxiety, though. Also, my younger kids were spending a lot of time in the car. Then my oldest turned 9, and I realized that we were halfway to college and it was going too fast. I wanted more time before they took off. So, we brought them home and have not regretted it. (Most days )
cathhomeschool wrote:

For Real Learning by Elizabeth Foss
The Well-Trained Mind
Homeward Bound: Catholic Education in the Heart of the Home
cathhomeschool wrote:

For the Love of Literature, Maureen Wittman
Well-Trained Mind
cathhomeschool wrote:

My favorite saint is St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross.
My dh named our school St. Scholastica Academy.
cathhomeschool wrote:

All the usual suspects.

cathhomeschool wrote:

History, literature and science are my favorites. My kids vary wildly. I have a Latin lover, a Math lover, a budding scientist and an artist.

Anita
Back to Top View anitamarie's Profile Search for other posts by anitamarie

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 03 2011 at 11:00pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

Quote:

Mother Angelica and Kimberly Hahn! Just a few years before I was a brandy new mother nursing my twins and I had just been crying looking down at their pure blue clear eyes thinking..."I will have to send them AWAY to school in JUST 5 years! How could I EVER do that?!" I might add, I was NOT hormonal!
My friend came over and said (she was a 1st grade teacher) that she wanted to homeschool her son. I asked:
"Is that LEGAL?! REALLY?! I was intrigued and promptly forgot about it(boy have I come a long way...)

I was doing it again (wondering about that school thing) as the twins slept on each side of me in the recliner as I was nursing my newborn son and was gazing into his eyes...I loved being around them. I couldn't send them to SCHOOL. I wanted them to be educated but how could I let them walk out that door? It just didn't seem right to me.    
So there I was on my couch trying to figure out if I would get EVER get a break to get a glass of water I kept eyeing the distance between the chair and the kitchen sink not wanting to disturb anyone and not having ANY help when this show came on EWTN that made me forget I was thirsty.
I had never heard of it before...it had me spellbound and of course I heard there was a BOOK "Homeward Bound"....so of COURSE I got it and that started a whole new way of life for us and I am SO glad!! (and the very first book that led to me buying my FIRST bookshelf...oh if I only knew how many of THOSE I would need...haha

Quote:

Ooh boy...that is hard to remember...
Homeschooling with Gentleness
Homeward Bound
Designing Your Own Classical Curriculum
Catherine Levison's books
Real Learning (A life changer for me)
Charlotte Mason companion
some of the 6 volumes by dear Charlotte herself!
and a few more...

Quote:

I am still working on this one...
Defintely a Dictionary
Thesaurus
Bible
My beautiful planner from Michele Quigley! (It even has the readings and saint days listed for me!)

oh, I know there are others...maybe I will add to this tomorrow after I ck on the shelves!
One thing I really enjoyed in the past was totally digesting all of the major homeschool curricula catalogs. I have gotten some good book ideas from the Emmanuel books and Bethlehem books catalogs and the old Dumb Ox Catalog...oh I could get into trouble there if I had a money tree!
Refreshers?
All of the CM books I listed above. Sometimes I just grab one and read a small section so I have something to think about as I work. I do love all of the CM blogs!! They inspire me the most because I am very visual and need the visual stimulation for my over-active imagination...lol

Quote:

Definitely the Blessed Mother!!
I LOVE St Joseph
how much space can I use??
ST. John Bosco,
St Dominic Savio
St. Elizabeth Ann Seton
St. Margaret Mary Alacoque
St. Faustina
St. Padre Pio
St. Therese the Little Flower
I KNOW they have helped us. I have a lot of favorites because I have a lot of kids and need every blessed saint in heaven!!!
Our homeschool patrons are the Holy Family and most specifically their HEARTS. Yeah, definitely!

Quote:

I can say ditto to many of the illustrators already listed..most especially Tasha Tudor, Eloise Wilkin, and Hilda Van Stockum.

Quote:

I LOVE teaching about the faith...I am learning new LIVING ideas alll of the time. I try and make it a practice in our daily lives and it truly works better that way...living out the liturgical year and celebrating life alongside and within the church! I also love teaching history...because it is HISstory (history) and it is amazing to see in hindsight all of the wonderful things God has done amidst some incredible ups and downs across the years! The connections we have made are amazing! My eldests have the same favorites..actually all of the girls like them..the boys would have to say LEGO is their favorite...they get to play with them as I read aloud or drill them as long as they can answer me and STAY near me without trying to disappear ...it is amazing what they will do for LEGOs....haha

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 12:25am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

- meeting successful homeschoolers, daughter having tried an excellent Reggio-Emilia school and then having to "settle" for a mediocre school afterwards (couldn't afford the ones that were on the same level as the RE school), Catholic private school didn't work out, the Columbine shooting... though our reasons changed and became more spiritually based through the years...

CM series, TWTM, Real Learning, For the Children's Sake, Homeschooling for Excellence, John Holt's writings, the Moores', Climbing Parnassus, A Charlotte Mason Companion,

A Landscape with Dragons, The Harp and Laurel Wreath, The Paideia Project, Catholic Mosaic, A Year with God,

the Holy Family

Beatrix Potter, Robert McCloskey, Tomie de Paola, Arnold Lobel, Maurice Sendak, AA Milne, Sandra Boynton, more recently Carin Berger

Reading! They all have different favorites, and change also from year to year.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 2:26am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I am really enjoying everyone's replies - especially how you all came to homeschooling. Many differenet paths.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

mamaslearning
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 7:15am | IP Logged Quote mamaslearning

Can't wait to read all the replies, but I'll fill out the meme first!

Honesty?! Money! We learned at home up until K, then our oldest when to parish school. We were then blessed with another child, the economy hurt our business, tuition was going up 6%, and I could not fathom sending her to our public school. So, we brought her home. I always wanted to home school, but as long as we could afford Catholic school we agreed they would go there. HAHA! It only last one year before we couldn't afford it anymore!

We love it!

Real Learning, TWTM, DYOCC, Catholic Homeschooling (by Clark), Parenting With Grace (there's a section about schooling in there), Montessori books, and others I read early on (Holt, Gatto, and more I can't remember right now).

Picture Perfect Childhood, Christmas Mosaic, Mommy Teach Me (curtis), Ambleside Online, Mater Amabilis, A Year With God, CM series online, What Your __ Grader Needs To Know

St. Pio - such a great saint for suffering.
St. Therese of Lisieux - love, love, love her childlike approach to faith.
St. Francis de Sales - Patron of our homeschool

5.) Favorite picture book authors and illustrators.

I don't usually buy picture books (most were given to me), so I'm horrible at remembering names.

I love teaching hands-on, so anything like cooking, playing store, art, math, science. My son loves anything in a workbook, and my oldest (2nd grade) enjoys history and science.

Back to Top View mamaslearning's Profile Search for other posts by mamaslearning

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

I love all of the replies too!

Donna Marie wrote:

One thing I really enjoyed in the past was totally digesting all of the major homeschool curricula catalogs. I have gotten some good book ideas from the Emmanuel books and Bethlehem books catalogs and the old Dumb Ox Catalog...oh I could get into trouble there if I had a money tree!

I have also worn my catalogs ragged pouring over pages! Some (like the Elijah Company catalog) were more like mini books because of all the great wisdom shared along with the book suggestions.

mamaslearning
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 11:22am | IP Logged Quote mamaslearning

cathhomeschool wrote:
I love all of the replies too!

Donna Marie wrote:

I have also worn my catalogs ragged pouring over pages! Some (like the Elijah Company catalog) were more like mini books because of all the great wisdom shared along with the book suggestions.

Yes! Catalogs!! I love to browse Timberdoodle, Memoria Press, Seton, Emmanuel Books, The Catholic Company, Rainbow Resources, etc.

Does anybody have a good classic book catalog? I haven't seen the ones mentioned above, so I'm off to search the net!

Back to Top View mamaslearning's Profile Search for other posts by mamaslearning

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version