Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Religious Decor + Faith-Filled Gifts Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 09 2011 at 10:51am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

CrunchyMom wrote:
JennGM wrote:
SarahCD wrote:
Thanks for the links, Jenn. I have been thinking about Playmobil for awhile now. We don't own any yet. Perhaps this would be a good place to start. Do you think a 4yo boy would like it? I suppose the Nativity sets could be for boys and girls!

MY 4 year old boys love(d) Playmobil, any shape and size.

Most popular toys we own except Duplo (which unexpectedly pushes regular Lego to third).

Duplo? Really? That didn't happen here.
Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 09 2011 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

We love Little People here and they have nativity pieces too.. they generally don't have as small of pieces as playmobile.

Lindsay.. we also like the duplo here.. easier to build BIG with them vs the miniture/model type building with regular lego.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 09 2011 at 10:55am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Well, we have a LOT, so maybe the volume means you can build more things? But we really thought that lego would take over, and they do play with lego a lot, but Duplo still gets played with the most. I think it is easier to turn into larger scale play. A huge aircraft carrier, and it only takes two Duplo to make a fighter plane, so, you can make an entire squadron quickly...see what I mean?

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 09 2011 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

JodieLyn wrote:
Lindsay.. we also like the duplo here.. easier to build BIG with them vs the miniture/model type building with regular lego.

Yes

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 09 2011 at 11:00am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

CrunchyMom wrote:
Well, we have a LOT, so maybe the volume means you can build more things? But we really thought that lego would take over, and they do play with lego a lot, but Duplo still gets played with the most. I think it is easier to turn into larger scale play. A huge aircraft carrier, and it only takes two Duplo to make a fighter plane, so, you can make an entire squadron quickly...see what I mean?

Ah, well, if you're going to do the airplane trick, then yes, they are used quite a bit. Try building towers to the ceiling. A WHOLE lot of fun.

Now even easier to make that squadron are two Citi-Blocks crossed over each other.

To go back to this thread, I admit my boys have played martyrs with the Playmobil Roman Coliseum.

And they have acted out the Life of Christ and his Passion with blocks and Playmobil. This they do with Daddy, and the first time I heard "hammering" the nails in the cross I had to go see.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 09 2011 at 11:03am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

ShannonJ wrote:
JennGM wrote:
Just saw that Playmobil is carrying a St. Nicholas.

You just helped me out with filling our shoes this year!

A creative and cheaper alternative: Turn Playmobil Santa to St. Nicholas

SarahCD
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 17 2011 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote SarahCD

I am not sure this is still the spot to post this question, but since Playmobil has come up here, I will ... If it should be elsewhere, please let me know!

I am leaning toward getting a Playmobil Nativity for my 4yo boy. And then splitting the St. Nicholas/Angel set with his twin sister. I am trying to shop for the Nativity, and I am overwhelmed with options and pricing! It seems like the Playmobil site has the latest models, and Amazon carries those and other ones (maybe past models?). It is hard to see if they are the same or different based on the pictures. Am I getting equal pieces for a less expensive price? Does anyone have any tips for purchasing the Nativity? Where did you purchase your set? Which one(s) do you have? I don't want to get the smallest set. Perhaps the middle one? Then, I can add pieces in future years ...

Thank you!

I think all of the stores coming out with Christmas decorations, ads, etc. SO EARLY has caused me to feel like I am already behind in my Christmas preparations ... And it's not even Thanksgiving! I guess the upside is that I *might* be done shopping before Advent, so our season can really be more peaceful and focused on preparing for Jesus' birth. I am hoping anyway

Back to Top View SarahCD's Profile Search for other posts by SarahCD

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 17 2011 at 12:05pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

SarahCD wrote:
I am not sure this is still the spot to post this question, but since Playmobil has come up here, I will ... If it should be elsewhere, please let me know!

I am leaning toward getting a Playmobil Nativity for my 4yo boy. And then splitting the St. Nicholas/Angel set with his twin sister. I am trying to shop for the Nativity, and I am overwhelmed with options and pricing! It seems like the Playmobil site has the latest models, and Amazon carries those and other ones (maybe past models?). It is hard to see if they are the same or different based on the pictures. Am I getting equal pieces for a less expensive price? Does anyone have any tips for purchasing the Nativity? Where did you purchase your set? Which one(s) do you have? I don't want to get the smallest set. Perhaps the middle one? Then, I can add pieces in future years ...

Yes there is a lot of confusion because there are several older sets. They have done different configurations.

From what I recall this one 3996 Nativity Manger is the original set ($24.99). We got that one and a separate 3997 three kings set about 12 years ago (from Target).

Then they went to having a single set because we bought that for some Godchildren later. 5719 Nativity Set $24.95 - has all the main figures that the two original sets had.

Now it looks like there are two sets again. The "basic" pieces are all the same across the sets (the character figures and main animals). What is different between sets is accessories (plants, small animals, benches, etc.). The three kings gifts have changed (style) between sets but there will always be 3 gifts of some sort in any set with the kings.

The biggest different with the new sets is that the 4884 Nativity with Stable set now has a solid plastic Playmobil stable. The earlier models have a cardboard stable and playing surface. It is fine, but if I were investing in it now, might be inclined to go with that set. But it is $30 + $12.99 (for 4886 Three Wise Kings) to get all pieces that way, when you could get all character/animal pieces in the older $24.99 set. That middle set 5719 is probably the best value if you don't mind the cardboard.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 17 2011 at 12:57pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

SarahCD wrote:
Then, I can add pieces in future years ...

You can still do this - no matter which sets you get. I shared this in a different thread - A good friend of mine has a tradition of adding a new animal(s) or other piece each year. There are so many animals made by Playmobil. They have added duplicate animals as well as lots of little animals like ducks, geese, chickens, rabbits, frogs, dogs etc. as well as larger farm animals like goats, oxen, horses. Then they also have more exotic animals like wolves, deer, and elephants (that would have been used for carrying travelers and goods during that time). They have added some of the soldier looking figures to be a Roman centurian (they made him a little scroll announcing the census) and other shepherdy looking figures. It's fun to look through the sets and see what would fit in with the Nativity (rocks, trees, wells, etc.). They look forward to adding the new pieces each year and they have a HUGE set up now!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 17 2011 at 4:11pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh my, that is AWESOME! Look at that great nativity!

The cardboard stable is annoying...so that's why the new one looks good for me. There are a few extra pieces NOT in the old set. I won our original one, so I didn't shell out any money previously, so I really am thinking of a new set.

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 17 2011 at 5:06pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I think making religious things can be an effective way to build up religious pieces in the home.

Our Miraculous Medal Mobile still holds pride of place in our home and it is so practical as well. I've given it a facelift in previous months because I happened to have some really beautiful swarovski crystals I was able to obtain for a song.

I have also been able to make some really cheap but lovely creations out of felt (not expensive wool felt but just synthetic felt) for tangible liturgical displays in the home, our Precious Blood display is something that comes to mind, we have it on our altar all through the month of July.

Of course ebay can be a great place for finding good buys, Lindsay mentioned about recycling religious objects...my precious St Anne statue was bought from New York on ebay...it was pre-loved, I often wonder about it's history, what prayers were offered in front of it...I love pre-loved religious articles.

I have always liked big rosary beads that can be hung on a wall, but they can be expensive, but they would be easy to make, rope, big wooden beads and then making the rosary centre and crucifix with some lovely craft medium, it sort of becomes a momento in the home that was made with the love and talent of the family members themselves, rather than something that was just bought brand new.

Sometimes the craft things we could use can come from places like garage sales etc, we try to pick up all our frames we use for religious pictures this way, now that we cannot afford the custom framing we use to have done years ago. Recently our parish priest retired and we went to the Church photographed the wonderful stain glass window behind the altar, of Jesus surrounded by the seven archangels. We had the photo printed up to a big size to match a frame my mum bought at a garage sale, it had been a custom made frame with beautiful layered borders, I carefully removed the original print inside and then with a roll of framer's tape I bought of ebay last year, I sealed it up perfectly, still had the custom framer's stamp on the back, Father would have never have known that it wasn't done professionally.    I think we bought this frame that was worth more than $100 at the time it was custom made, for $5.

Talking about nativities, my oldest son and I went to a pine forest 2 years ago to collect wood off the ground to make into a large nativity stall for our nativity set (a set we bought at the sales in January and paid 1/2 price)..I had seen some gorgeous, realistic looking nativity sets in apartment stores that were SO expensive, and I thought, "I'm just going to make that myself!" so my son and I did, clumsy with a hammer I was, dangerous with a saw in my hand, drove my 16 year old son to distraction, but we did it! I had collected bark which I glued over the bare pieces of wood here and there.

As the years go by we have had to pull in our belts with finances more and more but it has encouraged me to be more creative and I think the home is better off with that, there are some things that might not have been made if we could have easily afforded whatever I wanted.

Just some ideas that come to mind.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

SarahCD
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 18 2011 at 6:54am | IP Logged Quote SarahCD

Thank you for answering my questions about Playmobil Nativities! It seems like such a silly thing to ask about, but it was just confusing me! I think I will go with the one with the sturdier background. With six children, we need sturdy!

And I love your Nativity scene, Mary M. It is amazing, with all of those animals. It reminds me of Psalm 148 where all of creation praises the Lord!

Back to Top View SarahCD's Profile Search for other posts by SarahCD

ShannonJ
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 28 2011 at 7:19am | IP Logged Quote ShannonJ

SarahCD wrote:
I am trying to shop for the Nativity, and I am overwhelmed with options and pricing! It seems like the Playmobil site has the latest models, and Amazon carries those and other ones (maybe past models?).

For anyone that may still be shopping, Catholic Deals has a post today with the older nativity scene on sale at Catholic Child for $19.99 with free shipping through tomorrow, Nov. 29.

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2011 at 7:52am | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

ShannonJ wrote:

For anyone that may still be shopping, Catholic Deals has a post today with the older nativity scene on sale at Catholic Child for $19.99 with free shipping through tomorrow, Nov. 29.

Thank you for sharing, Shannon! I just might get this for my kiddos!

wife since 6/03, Mom to son 7/04, daughter 2/06, twin sons 6/08 and son 7/11, son 1/2014
Back to Top View AmandaV's Profile Search for other posts by AmandaV

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version