Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: At what point do you call it quits?? **** Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 07 2011 at 6:55am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Oh, Krista! I'm so relieved for you!

I'm not happy that you have to deal with anemia x2....but it IS good to know about these issues and address them! Everything else you're working sounds great! My prayers continue as you and your husband brainstorm gentle and workable during this time!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Oct 07 2011 at 8:11am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Krista, I don't have anything to add to the great advice you've received here, but wanted you to know I've been praying for you all. And I can really, really relate to the anemia thing. It is *amazing* how much it affects mental and physical energy and how much that lack of energy impacts everything you do as mother, teacher, cook, housekeeper, bus driver,... I am glad that ya'll are working on some temporary plans!

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 07 2011 at 9:35am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Wow, I'm glad you've been able to target a reason for the fatigue -- not that anemia is good, but it's better to know that than just to think you're under a sentence of uncontrollable tiredness!

And your last few days sound really nice. Sometimes discipline problems resolve themselves when -- at least for a little while -- you relieve some of the main pressure points. I found this to be very true in our early days of homeschooling, especially with our strong-willed oldest child, who was then 9. It helped so much just to back off for a while, then gradually add more formal schooling back in. She's now thriving at a rigorous college, so obviously it didn't hurt her to take months off formal school at that age.

I love all that hands-on stuff -- potholders, lego, all that. As I've been working through MEP math with my second- and third-graders, I've been struck by how much of math is just recognizing patterns, and how that's an expression of the way the world fits together. (This is true of poetry, too, for that matter) Weaving and building with legos both speak to that so much -- what a great set of schemata (love my education-speak!) for understanding the formal math, when it's time to pick that up again.

So, yay for you. And hopefully once the iron kicks in, you'll be feeling that much better, too, which can't help but help everything else. Sometimes I think that just feeling low-grade bad does more damage to your entire outlook than anything else. Hopefully everything will start looking brighter soon.

Sally

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 07 2011 at 9:56am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

So nice to know there's an extra reason for the fatigue.

Be sure and get a good B complex and extra Vit C... they'll help your body use the iron you're taking much more efficiently.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 07 2011 at 11:18am | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

Jodie,

I am taking vitamin C and a B6 pill. I'll ask about the B complex because I know absorption is a concern. Apparently my OTHER anemia (beta-delta thalassemia minor for those who are curious) makes it difficult to absorb the iron from my blood stream. So they are monitoring my levels every 4-6 weeks to see if they increase.

Sally,

The last few days have been VERY enjoyable and the stress level has been soooo low. It's nice. I have been able to save my energy for discipline issues like Jen said. Much more effective. :)

Janette,
People keep telling me that! I am really looking forward to seeing what effects it has!

Jen,
Thanks again for all your advice/suggestions. I am still reading over it and gleaning ideas.

Wife to a great guy, mom to two boys ('04, '06) and three girls ('08, '10, '12!)

I blog at http://kristacecilia.wordpress.com/
Back to Top View kristacecilia's Profile Search for other posts by kristacecilia

MNMommy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 07 2011 at 11:22am | IP Logged Quote MNMommy

I don't know if this will help you, but my dc's behavior is best when I have filled their minds with stories that they then go act out in their play. First cuddle with read alouds and picture books, and then they are occupied for hours.   

Anastasia
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Oct 07 2011 at 2:09pm | IP Logged Quote Anastasia

Prayers, and hope that you feel better soon!
I had really low iron too, and it does make youfeel tired and helpless. Besides the vitamins, do you like pate? I ate a ton of it, bodies absorb liver in that form really well.
Back to Top View Anastasia's Profile Search for other posts by Anastasia Visit Anastasia's Homepage

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 07 2011 at 3:34pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

WOW...I was anemic with my last pregnancy and I could not BELIEVE the difference the iron supplements made in my energy level, hence my mental state. God Bless and hopefully you'll find some renewed energy soon.

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2011 at 12:27pm | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

Well, I have been on the iron for two weeks almost and I can start to feel a HUGE difference. I can get off the couch! I am still tired, but hello, i am also still in the first trimester. So that's to be expected.

We are easing back into school today for the first time since I started this thread. I made up a short list for my oldest and told him this was what he was responsible for doing:

EVERYDAY:
5 mins of copywork
5 mins catechism questions
5 mins working on current poem for memorization
10+ mins of math (he can choose from teaching textbooks, math mammoth, any math game, or any living math book, his choice)

PICK ONE PER DAY:
History
Geography
Latin + Art
Science + Nature Study
You pick (from the list above OR math OR reading from literature list)

This is in addition to our morning basket (liturgical/saints stories, nature study stories, tales) and our current literature read aloud.

He seemed to like it today. He picked history. We read one short story from 50 Famous Stories Retold and he narrated, then he chose to spend the rest of the time listening to several chapters from Story of the World Vol. 1.

I am not doing anything structured with the littles right now. Just the stuff we do all together. Also, almost daily nature walks and outside playtime now that I have more energy.

Thanks for all your help, ladies.

Wife to a great guy, mom to two boys ('04, '06) and three girls ('08, '10, '12!)

I blog at http://kristacecilia.wordpress.com/
Back to Top View kristacecilia's Profile Search for other posts by kristacecilia

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 17 2011 at 12:33pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I've been thinking of you, Krista...and wondering how things were going, so I'm glad to read your update! FANTASTIC!!!!

I'm overjoyed that some supplemental iron is helping your energy levels! And your simple plan for your oldest looks absolutely doable, unintimidating, and lovely!!!!

Great, great job brainstorming this one out!!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version