Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Consumable stocking stuffers Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 23 2011 at 6:33am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Thought of another one.... cap gun refills for my ds!

He goes through them like water and is always asking for more.
These are definitely going in the stocking
(though somehow gun-related items in a stocking seems wrong... hmmm.... )

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Sept 23 2011 at 8:45am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

guitarnan wrote:
One of my friends gives her children sugary breakfast cereal for Christmas...it's the only time of year she buys it.

I do this at Easter.

SeaStar wrote:
Has anyone ever bought a chocolate orange? I don't think I've ever even seen one. They always seem to pop up in stories, though.

I loooove chocolate oranges! Around here you can find them sometimes with the fancy candy. I'm pretty sure our Walmart carries them. And they seem to show up more around Christmas than the rest of the year.

SeaStar wrote:
I like the mini-cereal box idea, too. We loved those growing up as kids. Can you still buy them at the grocery store? We don't eat much cereal anymore, so I've never looked for them.

My mil buys them sometimes. You can still get them. Around here, there are the coveted 3 or 4 boxes and then the rest no one wants.

SeaStar wrote:
What else- packs of gum? (and why doesn't Costco carry any bubble-gum flavored gum, ever? ) Could packs of gum be prettied up on the outside with seasonal scrapbooking paper as "wrapping"?

Mine *love* bubble tape as a special treat. One of those in a stocking would thrill them.

SeaStar wrote:
I WISH I lived close to a lego store I would love to browse the bins, and it would be perfect for my ds.

You can buy individual legos "from the bins" online too. Don't know if they're more expensive than in the store that way (We don't have a store nearby.) and you'd have to pay shipping, but still might be worth looking at.

What about MadLibs or Sudoku or maze booklets? Dover stained glass window coloring books? They used to have more. Maybe through Amazon.

Pop-its? You can get them at Target around here.

imcatholic
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 23 2011 at 11:02am | IP Logged Quote imcatholic

I usually put small lego sets, a bag of popcorn or chips, Zours or sour Skittles movie size, small nerf guns or darts, and some kind of chocolate. I also buy stockings for the dollar store so they are small AND can be thrown away.

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 23 2011 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Pop-its- great idea.

A bag of popcorn has reminded me that Cracker Jacks would also be very fun for my crew.

Thanks, ladies, for all these great ideas!

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 23 2011 at 3:23pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

Great idea! I'm not sure if anyone else mentioned but if you go to one of those stores that sells food items in bulk, you could fill some bags there. That's the kind of thing I never buy. Yogurt covered pretzels, peanut butter filled pretzels, weird looking gummy candies, all sorts of unusual treats, different types of popcorn.

And also think of what's on the end caps at grocery store check-outs that you might not ever buy either...mini bags of oreos etc., rice crispy cakes, poptarts, etc. You know all those things your kids (or at least mine) ****always**** want WHEN I'M CHECKING OUT and I ****always**** say no.

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 23 2011 at 10:01pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

RE: the stretchy stocking dilemma.

We have yarn knit stockings for all of us and they streeeeeeetch! But it helps that we don't actually HANG them when they are full. We go back to the old St. Nick tradition (and do these on his feast day too) of putting them propped up next to the children's beds or near their bedroom doors. This way, everything is comfortably supported by the floor and then stacked on top of each other.

Agreed about making a "shelf" with a square shaped box at the bottom too!

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 23 2011 at 10:02pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

Also, non-consumable:

Special coupons?

"Day out with Papa" or "Ice Cream with Mama" or "One Get-Out-Of-Chores Free Day"... etc.

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2011 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Christmas just isn't Christmas for my neice and nephew (who are now 44 and 39!,) if my sister doesn't give them those Lifesaver Christmas Candy Books.    They give them to their own children, now, too.

I have a friend who rarely buys candy or chips, so she will buy her boys favorite candy bars and bags of their favorite chips, whether Fritos, Cheesepuffs, BBQ chips, Doritos, etc.

Our stockings contain an assortment of things, possibly including toothbrushes, legos (for all, as my 23, 20 and 16yodss would be upset if they didn't get a little kit, too,) chocolates, candy canes, pez, and an orange.

In Christ,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 01 2011 at 2:32am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

looking at my lists and came up with another idea... you can get the long ropes of red licorice (at least on amazon) and my kids would LOVE those.... they don't really take up a lot of room but are something fun that we only see here at the movie theatre. So very rare

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 01 2011 at 2:41pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

Oh...I also buy loofah sponges at the dollar store. Quite big to fill the space and obviously cheap.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 12 2011 at 7:43am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Lots of great stocking stuffer ideas broken down by age

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 13 2011 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

I don't know what Lindsay's list looked like, but in our house, colored pencils or gel pens are a big hit and are eventually consumable. Really, any small craft (perler beads, painting ceramics, a small cross-stitch sampler, Dover coloring books) have all gone into my kids stockings at various times.

Lifesaver's books, eh? We used to get rock-like popcorn balls as well as oranges to fill the toe and heel of our dad's biggest socks. Ah ... the good old days!

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 13 2011 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Here's our Stocking Layout.

SaraP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 13 2011 at 2:06pm | IP Logged Quote SaraP

All of my kids wanted to try the fizzy bath bombs someone gave my 8yo DS for his last birthday and they have also been asking for H2Goo (eeeeeeew! . . . in a good way, I'm sure).

HSMama
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Nov 18 2011 at 6:38pm | IP Logged Quote HSMama

my kids love the punch balloons. you can buy 3 or 4 for $1 at walmart. BUT they don't take up much room.
Checked the dollar sections at target and michael's crafts. Picked up some gliders, notebooks and wooden crafts at Michael's in the dollar section. In target's dollar section they have wooden tops. My younger kids love the socks from targets dollar section and we never buy them, so I may pick up a couple of those. Maybe a small bag of chips to fill up space ; )

Stockings are always a pain to figure out.
Back to Top View HSMama's Profile Search for other posts by HSMama

A-Lil
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 18 2011 at 7:10pm | IP Logged Quote A-Lil

My kids love to get special band-aids in their stockings, since I usually just buy plain ones. I love all these new ideas!

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 07 2012 at 6:47am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Bumping this up....

This year I am adding fat quarters as a stocking stuffer. My kids love to sew- they make four patch squares for a variety of uses. Girl fabric is easy to find. Boy... a little tougher to find already cut as a FQ.

I have to scale way back on the candy this year- last year I put too much in, and much of it went uneaten (even the TinTin lollipops). So this year I am limiting it to a few pieces of candy that I know my dc really like.

I found a Klutz Guide to Cool Cars on the Road that I know my ds will enjoy-
not exactly consumable, but useful.

I love the bandaid idea. Bandaids are something we never seem to have enough of around here

And for dd I bought days of the week undies... I always loved those when I was a kid

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 07 2012 at 7:40am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

i love the Fat quarters idea! Your children are so clever and talented! What kinds of sewing projects are they doing?
Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 07 2012 at 8:05am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

JennGM wrote:
i love the Fat quarters idea! Your children are so clever and talented! What kinds of sewing projects are they doing?

They have both made quite a few simple four patch squares to be made into a quilt. They are working on their stacks for that. Ds loves to work the sew ing machine and the iron, and dd loves picking her fabric (from my stash usually) and ironing it.

I let them come up with their own combinations of fabric, which can be very interesting. We did a lot of this in the summer when it was too hot to go out.

Now we are making quilted pot holders for the grandparents for gifts.

They also like to make blankets and "clothing" (I use the term loosely) for their beanie babies and webkins. Also some very creative work there...

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 4:56am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Adding another idea:

guitar strings!
Also reeds for woodwind instruments or a nice new box of rosin for string players

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version