Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Bulk Garlic - Ideas, Storage, Tips Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 30 2011 at 1:18pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Very cool, Lindsay!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 01 2011 at 6:12pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Thank you all so much for all the ideas! I bought the bulk garlic last week, and have been really enjoying it. There are no preservatives in the bag, just bulk garlic cloves already peeled.

I enjoyed having it in my fridge last week. I browned some ground turkey (bland-o) and then sauteed some onions in olive oil and threw in a big handful of cloves...right out of the bag! I browned them up with the onions and they got nice and soft and caramelized! I added it all to the bland turkey and tossed it into a big dish of cornbread stuffing made with lots of good chicken stock and butter and baked. The garlic was a HUGE hit!! Everyone commented on the garlic - it tasted rich and sweet and really complemented the dish and added flavor! The whole dish was great and it was super easy!! Added roasted carrots and roasted asparagus - perfect, easy weeknight meal!

Off to watch the garlic peeling video!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

wifemommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 01 2011 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote wifemommy

Jen that sounds yummy I like cooking chicken in the crockpot in big batches shredding it and then making all kinds of things with it. I think I even have left over cornbread in the freezer to make stuffing. I am hungry thinking about it. Thanks Annie
Back to Top View wifemommy's Profile Search for other posts by wifemommy

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 03 2011 at 5:23pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Donna Marie wrote:
I often wished we had a 'like' button on these posts for when we are otherwise too occupied to type...like while nursing...that garlic post was so neat! We peel garlic by the TON here. LOOOVE IT...

LOL, Donna Marie, you don't know how often I've wished that!!!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 03 2011 at 5:24pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

I'm thinking of garlic lemon chicken tonight. Tons of olive oil, tons of garlic, 3 lemons or so and maybe I'll throw in some thyme.... I'm on lazy mode so....

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 12:09pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

CrunchyMom wrote:
I just saw this video on how to peel a HEAD of garlic in 10 seconds video

Be forewarned that it contains an expletive, but I thought it looked interesting to try!

Lindsay, I missed your posting of this video but found it via Twitter last week! This has got to be the best garlic tip ever. Since we didn't have 2 large metal bowls, we substituted any container we had with a lid (plastic and metal.) Anything we use works.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 2:44pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Missed this thread a couple weeks ago.....LOTS OF GREAT IDEAS, ladies!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 4:37pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Jen, that ground turkey, garlic and cornbread stuffing combination sounds wonderful!

This thread brings to mind a recipe from "Brother Juniper's Bread Book", by Peter Reinhart, for Stromboli or Stombolini. The recipe in the book calls for 6 1/4 pounds bread dough; 30 cloves garlic, roasted; 6 cups cheese and Pizza toppings for filling.

We've made a lot strombolini, but never tried the 30 cloves of roasted garlic (the closest I've ever come has been spreading a thin layer of minced garlic in place of the whole roasted cloves). Rereading the recipe in the book, especially his wonderful description of how the recipe came to be, the awards it won, as well as suggested variations, along with watching Lindsey's handy-dandy linked video on how to peel a head of garlic in 10 seconds has me absolutely convinced we MUST give Roasted Garlic Strombolini a try! Reinhart recommends studding rolled out pizza dough with the roasted cloves of garlic, layering on cheese and pizza toppings, then rolling it all up, slicing and baking (in the same manner as making cinnamon rolls). The book does mention the recipe can result in volcanic breath after consumption!

Here's a similar online recipe:
http://www.thefreshloaf.com/recipes/strombolini

If anyone can lay their hands on a copy of Brother Juniper's Bread Book, the description and recipe are on pp. 100-115. ETA http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0201624672/qid =1086062278/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-6523077-8905701?v=glance&s =books This book could easily be added to a cookbook collection thread ~ if you read the reviews, you'll understand why!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 14 2011 at 12:59pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I just wanted to update this thread and say how much I LOVE bulk garlic! After buying the large bag of peeled garlic, I kept it in my extra fridge for about a week or two and used it in various dishes from there.

After that, I knew I needed to do something with the remaining garlic, and I ran out of time to process the garlic cloves in olive oil like I wanted to so I just tossed the cloves into quart size freezer bags, squished the air out of them, and put them in my freezer. It has been absolutely PERFECT! A dream really!

Any time I'm roasting veggies, or roasting meat, or making burgers....ok...we eat a lot of garlic....almost anytime I'm cooking, I just grab several cloves right out of the freezer. They taste fine and their texture really doesn't change that much. A side benefit is that when they're frozen they don't get super sticky like when you're working with raw garlic (know what I'm talking about? You know how when you try to cut garlic...and the garlic gets super sticky on your knife and your fingers? And your fingers are coated with garlic paper hulls and slivers of garlic...and it's stuck like glue. That sticky.) Another side benefit of working with the frozen cloves is that I'm able to sliver my cloves into thin slices much easier! Last Friday I roasted Tilapia in olive oil and dill and I cut slivers of frozen garlic to layer on top of my Tilapia and it came out FANTASTIC!!!!!!!

Now I must admit that I mostly roast the garlic, so anytime I've got a pan of veg roasting, I toss in about 20 garlic cloves, coat all in olive oil, salt and roast. But the garlic comes out GREAT in any and every dish and way I've prepared it so far!

Thanks for all the ideas shared on this thread! I am a HUGE FAN of bulk garlic now!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 15 2013 at 6:57am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I bought the bag of bulk garlic recently. I need to do the freezer bag thing (thanks, Jen), but one way we just used up a bunch this weekend was making kabobs. We marinated some chicken and then just alternated chicken and garlic on the skewers. VERY tasty.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version