Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: little things Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 14 2011 at 6:46pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

CrunchyMom wrote:
Okay, Jen, I just came across this, and I can't IMAGINE that you haven't seen this (especially since I came across it on Little Green Notebook, which I believe I first visited on your recommendation), but this company will laminate up to 10 yards of fabric for $75.

Oh that is very enticing, indeed! And, having talked to the kind ladies at La Cigale, I understand from them that laminated vinyl fabric is actually more durable than oilcloth anyway! And, of course I love the idea of being able to submit exactly the right fabric because I'm picky about exact shade...and it not being too fussy, but still pretty!!!

We have a fabric outlet near us and it's hit and miss, but it is entirely possible that I might come across just the right fabric for this at a very affordable price! VERY exciting!!! Thanks, Lindsay!

cathhomeschool wrote:
Do ya'll know if oil cloth would be suitable for seats? I'm thinking these might be great options for my dining room chairs.

I saw your post about your dining room chairs and was thinking this would be the PERFECT solution - durable, wipable...and you can choose a a nice fabric that complements your decor style!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 14 2011 at 7:13pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I don't know about oil cloth but I did use an upolstery that was well treated with scotchguard for the seats of dining chairs.. and it was pretty easy to wash up if you didn't let it get out of hand.. so the oil cloth would probably be even better.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 08 2011 at 11:34am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Mackfam wrote:
recently I covered several old tables that we use in the learning room with oilcloth and love how it works! I followed the same method underlined in the post (no hanging edges - they're all stapled under the table)! It inspired me to do some other oilcloth projects, too, and I just love how they all came out - utterly charming and terribly practical! Definitely fits in the *little things that make you happy* category!

I'm finally updating this thread with a link to the tutorial I wrote on the charming and practical oilcloth covering projects!

Working With Oilcloth :: Projects

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

10 Bright Stars
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 08 2011 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote 10 Bright Stars

I can completely identify with this thread. I had to go to my Mom's house during the hurricane due to our power being out for so long. (Needed to bathe!) Anyway, she has glasses from when I was a kid, the "right" things on the table...dishtowels....pretty towels in the bathroom. I came home feeling blue that I seemed to be a failure of a mother because I couldn't manage to even USE glass glasses, much less hMickey Mouse ones that somehow managed to survive for over 30 years!! But, our situations are different. Not only is my situation different than my mothers's was THEN (2 kids and I was very neat as a child) BUT, it is different now. (I have 10 kids and she doesn't have anyone at home, so really easy to focus on "hospitality" where we ARE just surviving!! I have to tell myself this EACH time I encounter this feeling because it does stress me out!!! The one thing that gives me consolation is that my kids are NOT comparing their home to other peoples or my mom's like I AM. So, this IS home to them, so that makes me feel better!!! I do wish I had pretty dishes and home comforts too, but they just get broken here! I actually wondered, as I was thinking about this earlier, if some of the nice things you see at others's houses are stowed away until company comes? I could see this working here, but otherwise....might as well just throw some things in the trash before I even try to use them because that is where they will end up! It seems to be worse with my girls than it was with my boys for some reason!!

Mary 12, Gracie 10,
Isabelle and Sophia 8,
Gabrielle 6,
William Anthony 4, Joseph 3 and Luisa Marie - born in M
Back to Top View 10 Bright Stars's Profile Search for other posts by 10 Bright Stars Visit 10 Bright Stars's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 27 2012 at 4:44pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Bumping this because I can't afford atm but am IN LOVE with this adorable oil cloth table cloth.. I went to check out the bleached flowers table cloth because it is one of my favorite prints EVER (I have the mug and shower cap ), and I was thinking how pretty it would be as curtains in my dining room, and they don't sell the fabric by the yard, blah, blah, blah. And now I want the WIPEABLE chicken table cloth, too

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 27 2013 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

BUMP!

I love this thread because I love "little things"!

I just think the idea of "little things" is uplifting, don't you? Our vocations are so full!! So finding a few "little things" that punctuate the day, or that bring a little moment of enjoyment, really makes the day and the home refreshing to me!!

I'd love to hear more little things you enjoy - little things that make home feel like home to you!

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version