Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: little things Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 13 2011 at 9:54pm | IP Logged Quote Nique

Enjoying this thread so much! Thank you everyone for your input.

I've noticed many of you like tablecloths. "How" with kids? We have put away ours because of the many spills and the constant pulling of the cloth, which leads to "Oh, oh! Careful! Your dish is going to land in your lap!"

I just don't know how you do it.

Back to Top View Nique's Profile Search for other posts by Nique

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 13 2011 at 10:53pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I like a live plant somewhere.. over the kitchen sink is usually good for makign sure the poor thing gets watered.

And I like the "rogues gallery" down my hallway of family pictures.. it's something I grew up with and have tried to do everywhere we've lived.. and it's great to be able to walk a grumpy baby and point out all the faces.. it keeps extended family familiar to the kids.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Barb.b
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2011 at 6:46am | IP Logged Quote Barb.b

My coffee pot and mugs! I don't do table clothes but love wipeable (not cloth) placemats out. Photos of my kids out, and other prints on the walls.
Barb
Back to Top View Barb.b's Profile Search for other posts by Barb.b

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Sept 14 2011 at 8:11am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Nique wrote:
I've noticed many of you like tablecloths. "How" with kids? We have put away ours because of the many spills and the constant pulling of the cloth, which leads to "Oh, oh! Careful! Your dish is going to land in your lap!"

I'm with you! I can't have a tablecloth on my table for any extended amount of time. I do enjoy a tablecloth every now and then for a special occasion. In that case, we make sure the seating arrangement reflects: big kid--little kid--big kid--little kid....in order to keep the tablecloth and the dishes ON THE TABLE!

I recently saw the greatest idea which I'm so charmed by: Table Covering. Alas, my kitchen farmhouse table is too wide for any oilcloth to work () and I SO wanted to do this! But recently I covered several old tables that we use in the learning room with oilcloth and love how it works! I followed the same method underlined in the post (no hanging edges - they're all stapled under the table)! It inspired me to do some other oilcloth projects, too, and I just love how they all came out - utterly charming and terribly practical! Definitely fits in the *little things that make you happy* category!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 14 2011 at 8:15am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Great idea, Jen! That won't work on any of my tables, as they all have extensions, but how cute is that!

I was wowed by this oilclothaddict site. She has quite a variety at her Etsy store.

I just want to add my mother has a 60" round table, and for years couldn't make her own cloths until she bought some at the store and saw they had seams for additional width. After that there was no stopping her making cloths for our family table.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2011 at 8:24am | IP Logged Quote Angel

Mackfam wrote:
Nique wrote:

I'm with you! I can't have a tablecloth on my table for any extended amount of time. I do enjoy a tablecloth every now and then for a special occasion. In that case, we make sure the seating arrangement reflects: big kid--little kid--big kid--little kid....in order to keep the tablecloth and the dishes ON THE TABLE!

I recently saw the greatest idea which I'm so charmed by: Table Covering. Alas, my kitchen farmhouse table is too wide for any oilcloth to work () and I SO wanted to do this! But recently I covered several old tables that we use in the learning room with oilcloth and love how it works! I followed the same method underlined in the post (no hanging edges - they're all stapled under the table)! It inspired me to do some other oilcloth projects, too, and I just love how they all came out - utterly charming and terribly practical! Definitely fits in the *little things that make you happy* category!

I had wondered about the tablecloth thing, too, like maybe I should be putting one on more often except... 6 boys??? I did notice at my mom's house that the tablecloth stayed ON the table, however, but I think she had some sort of undercover beneath the cloth which made it a little more grabby (for lack of a better word). I'll have to ask her about this, because it seemed to work fine, even with 7 kids 8 and under at the table (mine + 2 cousins, and only one of them a girl).

I also liked the oil-cloth covering idea that Jen posted. Our table is so beaten up from years of craft and art projects that it should probably be refinished, except then you wonder if all that effort is worth it if the glue and Sharpie marks are just going to reappear! (Plus, we really need a bigger table, and in that case, my hope is that with all our remodeling - gulp - there would be space to use our old table as an actual craft table.)

But I do wonder... how hard is it to keep the oilcloth flat and even when you're stapling? I can see myself stapling in a big wrinkle! And I wonder how hard it would be to pull out all the staples if you wanted to change the oilcloth somewhere down the line?

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Sept 14 2011 at 8:48am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Angel wrote:
But I do wonder... how hard is it to keep the oilcloth flat and even when you're stapling? I can see myself stapling in a big wrinkle! And I wonder how hard it would be to pull out all the staples if you wanted to change the oilcloth somewhere down the line?

It wasn't hard at all, but I asked Sarah to help me!

We cut the tablecloth to fit and allowed for about 2 - 3 inches of overlap to staple under the underside of the table. Then we flipped the tablecloth right side down on the floor....and positioned the table right on top of it (so the legs were up in the air). Start stapling in the middle of one side. There are two ways to go from here:

1) Start stapling your way around the table, going in one direction, with you stapling, and another person (Sarah in my case) pulling gently on the oilcloth opposite you. Once you get to the last two sides of the table, you just pull firmly and staple. The oilcloth has some stretch and will stretch nice and straight if you keep gently pulling and stretching all the way around. If you get to the end with a little extra oilcloth (I did), just fold it neat-ish and staple it on the underside of the table. Looks fine on top and no one sees the underside!

2) Start stapling in the middle of one side. Then staple again, stretching and pulling firmly, on the opposite side. Now move to the center of another side and repeat. Your goal here is to staple in the middle of the four sides, pulling and stretching each time. Keep stapling your way around the table going from one side to its opposite, pulling, stretching, stapling. (Edited to say: I think this would work best with a round table)

I need to post pictures soon I suppose! It was really a fun project and came out wonderfully!

I'm with you on the scarred kitchen table, Angela. Ours is too wide to accommodate oilcloth in even its widest width....so I guess we'll re-re-finish it.   We need a bigger table too, but for now, my job is to be content and work with what we've got, so....this time, I'm considering a marine grade poly on top!!!! Take that, oh fork wielding wonder muffins! I'm sure they'll still have the last laugh!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2011 at 11:22am | IP Logged Quote Mimip

We have a tall bar stool kitchen table that seats 8. We put a tablecloth on every morning and remove it after dinner every night. Yes, it can be messy and I can tell you that EVERY SINGLE meal something gets spilled on it but I can't stand the look of a table without a covering! I think my Mom raised me this way and its still ingrained!

I throw the tablecloth in the wash with whatever goes in that day. If its a big mess then it gets washed right away.

On our dining room table I have a plastic covering that I bought from Joann's. SOOOO worth it! It hangs really far over and yes its been tugged off in the past but sadly we don't have any babies anymore that that's not an issue.

As for home, I love, love, love picture frames with our family in them. Most especially generational pictures. We have so many beautiful ones with my children and their great grandparents, grandparents, uncles, aunts and cousins.   Also we have collage prints of special occasions. We had a huge gala in honor of my Dad this past summer and we have a ton of pictures up from that right now.

Also my heart melts every time I see the papal blessing that my husband and I got on the occasion of our marriage. It is in a place of honor in our home, matted beautifully by the priest who witnessed our wedding, and surrounded by 8x10 pictures of the kids. Where that blessing has hung, our marriage has been at home.

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2011 at 5:09pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Mackfam wrote:

I'm with you on the scarred kitchen table, Angela. Ours is too wide to accommodate oilcloth in even its widest width....so I guess we'll re-re-finish it.   We need a bigger table too, but for now, my job is to be content and work with what we've got, so....this time, I'm considering a marine grade poly on top!!!! Take that, oh fork wielding wonder muffins! I'm sure they'll still have the last laugh!

They always do, don't they? Marine grade poly might slow them down, though. We're to the point with our table that we can only fit everybody at the table because one of us is still in a high chair. Replacing all the chairs on the sides with benches *might* work (we already have benches at the ends so 2 people can sit at each end). It's just really a matter of time, though. At some point the little boys won't be so little anymore either.

Please do post pictures of your oilcloth soon! I'm really intrigued!

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 15 2011 at 6:01am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Mimip wrote:
We put a tablecloth on every morning and remove it after dinner every night. Yes, it can be messy and I can tell you that EVERY SINGLE meal something gets spilled on it but I can't stand the look of a table without a covering! I think my Mom raised me this way and its still ingrained!

I throw the tablecloth in the wash with whatever goes in that day. If its a big mess then it gets washed right away.

This is us, too. Actually, when the water spills, it's sort of nice to have a cloth on the table to soak it up quickly instead of having it run all over the floor. I think I have about a dozen table cloths. I find I need quite a few since I change them daily. I guess my kids are just used to it because there's really not too much hassle with them pulling it off. Now, my 9month old is starting to pull himself up on the chairs so I can see that might become a problem, but we somehow managed to get through this stage with the other kids so I guess will manage this time too. I think keeping all the chairs pushed in is all that I needed to do. We'll see!

Still enjoying this thread. Lots of great ideas! I would love to do a picture collage down our hall. Maybe that will be my next project!

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 15 2011 at 3:08pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Angela, and all of you have shared with such lovely responses, this thread has really touched my mother's heart and soul. I've tried to respond several times, deleting everything I wrote, for the words just seemed totally inadequate and insignificant, and still do. What you expressed after being at your mother's home echoes something I've been experiencing in recent years, particularly as several family members have passed away. I keep having this sense that the small things we do within our families, to make a house a home, effect us in ways we don't/can't always recognize ~ perhaps such things don't truly awaken within us until we ourselves become the senior generation in our families.

Our life has been very gradually shifting from survival years to recovery mode. With each miniscule advance forward I am more and more deeply impacted by memories of small things my mother and other elder women of our family did to make their house a home.

Very slowly I've been able to sprinkle small family treasures throughout our home ~ each one evokes stronger memories of loved ones who have gone before. Somehow, such reminders of those who have contributed in so many ways to who we are as individuals, and as a family, have given me a profound sense of comfort, serenity and strength in our day to day living.

Reading this thread has helped renew a small tradition, from my mother, of using hankerchiefs. Recently, I happened upon a small treasure trove of vintage hankerchiefs at a thrift shop ~ they are all freshly laundered and pressed, resting along with two of my mother's rescued hankies, in the drawer of my grandfather's shaving box, which held a place of honor on my father's dresser as long as I can remember (I had to unearth the shaving box from the outer recesses of our basement ~ stored amongst the overflow from my mother's belongings after she passed away, until I finally discovered its renewed purpose).

Ironing each new/old handkerchief I was gently transported back in time to Saturday afternoons in my youth ~ sprinkling and pressing items from an ever-overflowing wicker "ironing basket" (most of our clothing and linens were'nt permanent press in those days and we didn't have a steam iron). Ironing projects for novices were always handkerchiefs, small doilies and pillow cases. The rhythym of slowly, tenderly ironing each tiny scallop or bits of hand-embroidery on such small, ordinary things, along with the memories such actions evoked, are something one doesn't usually garner from a box of Kleenex (although I have been known to go into raptures over a pretty box of tissues, on rare occasions).

The point of this rambling post is that appreciating the small things can sometimes connect us with generations who have gone before us, as well as those yet to come. The connection isn't always tangible, or even possible, during the survival years ~ first, we must concentrate on our little ones ~ later, we may be blessed with simple pleasures of focusing on the small things! When we do, perhaps we can offer up a prayer for the souls who have left their mark on our families and our homes. For those still living, even better to whisper a word of thanks in their ear, next time we meet, for the small things they have done to enrich our lives!

One of the first things I must do, if I manage to reach Heaven oneday, is thank:
~my G-ma, for teaching me to make noodles, pie crust, and Depression era soup; how to hang clothes on a line; how to dust; for introducing me to family genealogy and for sharing the family love of dictionaries
~my Aunt Charlotte, for showing me how to wash prisms on a chandelier, how to bake a chocolate layer cake, and making me feel like her favorite when I knew every one of us were first in her heart
~my Aunt Marianna, for giving me a love of words, for trusting a bunch of young children to help build her home, and most of all for sharing her renewed love of the Faith when she returned to it
~my Grandma M, for her love of gardening & houseplants, teaching me to tie a bow and always being there when we needed her
~my Mama for teaching her six children, and numerous grandchildren, to do so many small things well ~ making beds with mitered corners and "smoothing it out" when drawing up sheets and blankets ~ showing us how to iron, cook, clean, mend, and most of all how to stretch, balance and juggle an always-too-tight-budget and how to see the beauty in hand-me-downs, secondhand or roadside treasures ~ and most of all, for passing on so many small things from past generations, in spite of endless struggles just to make it through each day.

My list is woefully incomplete ~ memories of who shared what have all blended together, especially because so much of what was said and done was intrically intertwined in all of their lives, long before I was even born. My heart overflows with gratitude for each of the souls that have helped make so many small things in life matter ~ even though so many of those things are just mere reflections of much bigger, much more important things, such as our Faith and the people God has graciously placed in our lives!

Each of you here on 4Real are part of that ever-growing list! You dear ladies enrich each day with the inspiration you share ~ even for the smallest of things! 'Tis a very BIG thing to be blessed in so many ways by all that you share. Thank you for the virtual tour through your hearts and your homes in this wonderful thread. As the shadows lengthen and the days turn golden I look forward to adding some of these lovely small things to our days and promise to add a prayer asking God to bless each of you, in the small things, and especially in all those things that are bigger and closer to each of your hearts!      

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 16 2011 at 10:17am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Mackfam wrote:
Angel wrote:

It wasn't hard at all, but I asked Sarah to help me!

We cut the tablecloth to fit and allowed for about 2 - 3 inches of overlap to staple under the underside of the table. Then we flipped the tablecloth right side down on the floor....and positioned the table right on top of it (so the legs were up in the air). Start stapling in the middle of one side. There are two ways to go from here:

1) Start stapling your way around the table, going in one direction, with you stapling, and another person (Sarah in my case) pulling gently on the oilcloth opposite you. Once you get to the last two sides of the table, you just pull firmly and staple. The oilcloth has some stretch and will stretch nice and straight if you keep gently pulling and stretching all the way around. If you get to the end with a little extra oilcloth (I did), just fold it neat-ish and staple it on the underside of the table. Looks fine on top and no one sees the underside!

2) Start stapling in the middle of one side. Then staple again, stretching and pulling firmly, on the opposite side. Now move to the center of another side and repeat. Your goal here is to staple in the middle of the four sides, pulling and stretching each time. Keep stapling your way around the table going from one side to its opposite, pulling, stretching, stapling. (Edited to say: I think this would work best with a round table)

I need to post pictures soon I suppose! It was really a fun project and came out wonderfully!

Jennifer, I've been working on organizing our "sewing room" (which is what we've called the room where all my sewing stuff and everything else that didn't have a ready home was tossed for the past 6 months since we moved in ), and I remembered your project and desire for wider oil cloth and for some reason, these tablecloths that I saw a few years ago at a local trades fair came to mind.

La Cigale

They import fabric from Provence and then coat it with Acrylic from DuPont here locally. It is wipeable but looks much more natural than vinyl coatings.

Anyway, it occurred to me that if you found a tablecloth like this you liked, you would be much more likely to find the width you needed.

Just a thought

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Sept 16 2011 at 10:37am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

CrunchyMom wrote:
I remembered your project and desire for wider oil cloth and for some reason, these tablecloths that I saw a few years ago at a local trades fair came to mind.

La Cigale

They import fabric from Provence and then coat it with Acrylic from DuPont here locally. It is wipeable but looks much more natural than vinyl coatings.

Anyway, it occurred to me that if you found a tablecloth like this you liked, you would be much more likely to find the width you needed.

Just a thought

It's a great thought, and would you believe it....I'VE ALREADY TALKED TO THEM!!!    We must be on the same wavelength! They are so nice!!! I emailed asking questions and she returned my email and then called me on the phone the next day! Such wonderful personal service! They have lovely tablecloths - utterly charming! And THE WIDTH WOULD WORK!! BUT (cue mournful music), because the material is from Provence, the size tablecloth I needed was going to come up to around $100! Oh mon étoiles!!! (Oh my stars!!! ) And I just knew I'd never be able to apply a staplegun to $100 worth of Provencal material!! But, if I needed a beautiful tablecloth (which would not encounter a staplegun) I would ABSOLUTELY consider it because her materials are so lovely and their attention to details and customers is EXCELLENT! I just know I'd end up with something beautiful I could be happy with! So, I'm glad you recommended them, but I'm back at choosing contentment with marine grade poly!!

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 16 2011 at 10:39am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Mackfam wrote:
CrunchyMom wrote:
I remembered your project and desire for wider oil cloth and for some reason, these tablecloths that I saw a few years ago at a local trades fair came to mind.

La Cigale

Just a thought

It's a great thought, and would you believe it....I'VE ALREADY TALKED TO THEM!!!    We must be on the same wavelength! They are so nice!!! I emailed asking questions and she returned my email and then called me on the phone the next day! Such wonderful personal service! They have lovely tablecloths - utterly charming! And THE WIDTH WOULD WORK!! BUT (cue mournful music), because the material is from Provence, the size tablecloth I needed was going to come up to around $100! Oh mon étoiles!!! (Oh my stars!!! ) And I just knew I'd never be able to apply a staplegun to $100 worth of Provencal material!! But, if I needed a beautiful tablecloth (which would not encounter a staplegun) I would ABSOLUTELY consider it because her materials are so lovely and their attention to details and customers is EXCELLENT! I just know I'd end up with something beautiful I could be happy with! So, I'm glad you recommended them, but I'm back at choosing contentment with marine grade poly!!

Aw shucks! I just KNEW you were going to find a French fabric to fall in love with--it seemed so you. And, alas, I was right, but the the price wasn't

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 16 2011 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Have you considered temporarily just finding a regular cloth you like and then buying the clear vinyl to staple over it? I imagine that could be done cheap enough that you could even change it out, though, the vinyl would have a bit more plastic-y look than the oil cloth.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 14 2011 at 8:56am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Okay, Jen, I just came across this, and I can't IMAGINE that you haven't seen this (especially since I came across it on Little Green Notebook, which I believe I first visited on your recommendation), but this company will laminate up to 10 yards of fabric for $75.

So, I figured that if you were able to find fabric you loved for a steal, or if you already had fabric you loved or even a tablecloth, it might be worth it, especially since you could get 10 yards done and have it leftover for other projects.

Thought of you immediately when I saw it and thought it was at least worth a try

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 14 2011 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

That looks good, Lindsay. The maximum width is 61 inches. I can't remember what Jen said she needed.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Oct 14 2011 at 9:26am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Cool, Lindsay! Do you think by "lamination" they mean it would turn it into something like vinyl (meaning still moves and won't crease but can be wiped)? I've never seen oil cloth in person but pictures and projects make it look similar to thin vinyl in thickness only more durable. Do ya'll know if oil cloth would be suitable for seats? I'm thinking these might be great options for my dining room chairs.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 14 2011 at 9:58am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Jenn, I think Jen needs 56", so 61 would be ample!

Janette, I'm pretty sure that is what it is. Like a wipeable tablecloth.

I'm excited that it is a possibility, because I never can quite take the plunge on oil cloth table cloths because the pattern is never *exactly* what I want, and it is so pricey. I might be able to save my pennies, though, and pay that much for something that IS exactly what I want

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Oct 14 2011 at 6:22pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

That's been my experience too. The ones I've seen online aren't quite what I'm looking for and I'm always nervous about the color being "true" since I'm looking on a computer monitor. Christmas is coming.   

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version