Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: babywearing twins Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
herdingkittens
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 23 2011 at 6:35pm | IP Logged Quote herdingkittens

Congrats!! Twins are an amazing experience!!   

I wore mine A LOT....maybe too much, but my back was super-duper strong after a few months!! Twins also give you nice muscle-y arms! Just a little known perk to carrying 2 babies!   

Anyhow, when they were itty bitty, I wore them both in the moby in the front. Then I moved to one on front in a sling or moby and one in the back in a mei-tai style carrier (they look like a square with straps coming out of the corners). LOVE my mei-tai. When they were able to sit up, my fav combo was mei tai in front (easy in and out and they can nurse well in there) with an aluminum framed backpacked baby.    Have I confused you?!?      Ha ha!

I was never able to do 2 slings at a time - I tried...OH did I try...but it killed my back and shoulders.

Also, after my husband stole my moby , I purchased a non-stretchy wrap (gypsy mama brand) second hand, and I love that more than the moby. The non-stretchy wrap is good for when they are bigger, because it does not stretch out of shape, and you can get them on your back with them easier. Be aware that people will freak out if you put one on your back in a wrap in public - I could always hear gasping. It is super safe, but looks terrifying to anyone who has not seen it before.

You will be in my prayers, and welcome to the world of twins!!

Oh, and by the way, In the Womb: Multiples is recommended watching.   

Veronika
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 23 2011 at 8:14pm | IP Logged Quote Veronika

Congratulations Chris! And welcome to the wonderful world of multiples! I had three singletons first, like you , and then my identical girls. It truly is a blessing like none other, and a humbling and profound extension of motherhood that I never expected. God is so great! Just be sure to stay healthy during your pregnancy. Get plenty of iron and plenty of sleep. You'll need both after the babies come! I'll pray for all of you!

Back to Top View Veronika's Profile Search for other posts by Veronika

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2011 at 11:05pm | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

OH MY GOODNESS!!!

I am so happy for you, Chris!!!That is terrific news! No baby wrap expertise, they always made my arm go numb....but I couldn’t let this slide without popping in and expressing my excitement over your wonderful news!!

Girls, we all get to be cyber aunties X 2!!!!     

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 25 2011 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote Chris V

Thank you ALL, so, so, so much for the congratulations ! You bring my heart such joy, such trust, and such faith in the blessings that has been bestowed upon us! ... really, you wouldn't believe the number of people who seem to be horrified at the thought of having twins, after already having three children , but I'm not letting other affect my joy. I have such faith in God's will for our family - whatever challenges come my way He's going to be carrying me .

Back to Top View Chris V's Profile Search for other posts by Chris V

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 25 2011 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote Chris V

herdingkittens wrote:
Congrats!! Twins are an amazing experience!!   

I wore mine A LOT....maybe too much, but my back was super-duper strong after a few months!! Twins also give you nice muscle-y arms! Just a little known perk to carrying 2 babies!   

Anyhow, when they were itty bitty, I wore them both in the moby in the front. Then I moved to one on front in a sling or moby and one in the back in a mei-tai style carrier (they look like a square with straps coming out of the corners). LOVE my mei-tai. When they were able to sit up, my fav combo was mei tai in front (easy in and out and they can nurse well in there) with an aluminum framed backpacked baby.    Have I confused you?!?      Ha ha!

Not at all! In fact, this is really, really helpful to know how you carried your babies! I really like the Moby. I don't have one (only a sling), but my little girls have Moby's for their dolls, so at the very least I'm familiar with how to tie them

herdingkittens wrote:

I was never able to do 2 slings at a time - I tried...OH did I try...but it killed my back and shoulders.

Also, after my husband stole my moby , I purchased a non-stretchy wrap (gypsy mama brand) second hand, and I love that more than the moby. The non-stretchy wrap is good for when they are bigger, because it does not stretch out of shape, and you can get them on your back with them easier. Be aware that people will freak out if you put one on your back in a wrap in public - I could always hear gasping. It is super safe, but looks terrifying to anyone who has not seen it before.

Was it a Wrapsody? ... the Bali Breeze? Did you get the wool?

I could reasonably see myself spending the money to buy two new wraps (the Moby is very reasonably priced), but the nice jersey wraps, like the Wrapsody are a bit pricey at $79 each. I don't think I could by all three (the Moby, the Mei Tai, and the Wrapsody) ... surely my husband could cough up his dinner at that news. So if you were to tell me which two to buy, which would you choose as *MUST HAVE's* ... especially for the newborn to 9 month period (after which I would probably get a solid-framed backpack that is more padded than the one I have now) to carry one baby in, and the other one on my front.

herdingkittens wrote:

You will be in my prayers, and welcome to the world of twins!!

Thank YOU!

herdingkittens wrote:

Oh, and by the way, In the Womb: Multiples is recommended watching.   

I'll have to check it out!

herdingkittens
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 25 2011 at 10:53pm | IP Logged Quote herdingkittens

Chris V wrote:

Was it a Wrapsody? ... the Bali Breeze? Did you get the wool?

It is the Bali Breeze, I believe. The one that is super thin and good for summer. I am using it now, actually, and just put my little guy on my back with him for the first time. He liked it, but he ending up wanted to nurse in front and pass out.   
Chris V wrote:

I could reasonably see myself spending the money to buy two new wraps (the Moby is very reasonably priced), but the nice jersey wraps, like the Wrapsody are a bit pricey at $79 each. I don't think I could by all three (the Moby, the Mei Tai, and the Wrapsody) ... surely my husband could cough up his dinner at that news. So if you were to tell me which two to buy, which would you choose as *MUST HAVE's* ... especially for the newborn to 9 month period (after which I would probably get a solid-framed backpack that is more padded than the one I have now) to carry one baby in, and the other one on my front.

Yeah, I could not afford much when we had ours. I bought our Moby new, but bought my mei tai and summer wrap used. I kept checking craigslist until something was affordable. I would go with the Moby (that is the best wrap for little babies, and it is warm, so especially if you are having them in the winter months - I am in Michigan, so I needed the extra warmth) and a Mei Tai (or some Asian carrier). The Moby is a good safe bet, and the Mei Tai is very versatile (front carry facing out, front carry facing in (can nurse in this position), back carry with smaller baby. And if you already have a sling, you are golden.

I was thinking about you today because one of our twins (who are 3) got a BAD gash on the forehead today, and his twin brother was SO concerned. He got upset a few times and kept telling me how he did not want his brother to get a boo-boo. He followed him around and I would catch him caressing him and stroking his arm, even after he was feeling better. I was so amazed at his compassion and thought about you and all these neat little experiences that you get to witness. The bond between them is so amazing. I could go on, but I am tired!   

Peace!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 25 2011 at 11:03pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

The Babywearer has tons of info and I think also a place for selling/buying used carriers so you might check that out too.

From what I understand the main difference in the ergo and the mei tai is that the ergo buckles on instead of ties on.. so you might look for both of those and used they can be affordable.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 25 2011 at 11:28pm | IP Logged Quote Chris V

JodieLyn wrote:
The Babywearer has tons of info and I think also a place for selling/buying used carriers so you might check that out too.

From what I understand the main difference in the ergo and the mei tai is that the ergo buckles on instead of ties on.. so you might look for both of those and used they can be affordable.

Thank you, Jodie! That looks like an excellent resource.

Pilgrim
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 26 2011 at 6:19am | IP Logged Quote Pilgrim

herdingkittens wrote:
I was thinking about you today because one of our twins (who are 3) got a BAD gash on the forehead today, and his twin brother was SO concerned. He got upset a few times and kept telling me how he did not want his brother to get a boo-boo. He followed him around and I would catch him caressing him and stroking his arm, even after he was feeling better. I was so amazed at his compassion and thought about you and all these neat little experiences that you get to witness. The bond between them is so amazing. I could go on, but I am tired!   

Peace!

This sounds like our twins, especially dd, she will follow ds around trying to wipe his nose after he cries. They are so cute together sometimes. The other day when we stopped at a park it was so cute to watch them playing together, they understand each other, especiallt their own toddler language. It melted my heart, it was one of those "Thank you God for what you've given us" moments.

St. Clare Heirloom Seeds coupon 4Real 20% off

St. Clare Audio
Back to Top View Pilgrim's Profile Search for other posts by Pilgrim Visit Pilgrim's Homepage

Pilgrim
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 26 2011 at 6:24am | IP Logged Quote Pilgrim

Chris V wrote:
   ... really, you wouldn't believe the number of people who seem to be horrified at the thought of having twins, after already having three children

We still get this. But I love to tell them what an awesome gift they are, how wonderful we think it is to have twins. Sometimes in a postitive way I say I'll mention the small difficulties, like the more difficult pregnancy, the first few months, etc. but, then I always put in the positives, and there are so many.

Chris V wrote:
but I'm not letting other affect my joy. I have such faith in God's will for our family - whatever challenges come my way He's going to be carrying me .
So true, what a wonderful attitude. God's heart must burst with joy at how pleased you are with His gift to you/your family!

St. Clare Audio
Back to Top View Pilgrim's Profile Search for other posts by Pilgrim Visit Pilgrim's Homepage

Pilgrim
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 26 2011 at 6:25am | IP Logged Quote Pilgrim

Veronika wrote:
Just be sure to stay healthy during your pregnancy. Get plenty of iron and plenty of sleep.

I second this! I got severely anemic (very unusual for me) during the early stages of the twin pregnancy. Also I found from reading up on twin prenancies ( I got a lot of books from the library, and my mother found me some used), that you need a lot more nutrition than I thought, fat and protein being the biggies I wasn't getting enough of. I actually lost weight in the first months, since I wasn't really feeling that hungry at first. Okay, I'l stop posting for now.... back to the orginal topic!

St. Clare Audio

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 02 2011 at 4:22am | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

I like different carriers depending on what I'm doing.
I mostly but not always use my soft wraps in the house for extended carrying and my Mei Tai's outdoors.

Wraps can be frustrating initially even more so with an upset newborn, not to mention two. Once you get the hang of it it'd be alright, but how practical it'd be in other ways only experience would tell. You have a lot of fabric to deal with with wraps which I especially don't like outdoors (think muddy carparks). Is there anyway you can borrow one from someone for a while after they are born to see if it would suit?   If buying one I'd look for the widest one with not much give in the fabric.   

I think it would all come down to personal preference, which I know is not very helpful.   Can you try on any at a shop? Or are there any baby wearer get togethers near you?

While I like to use all my carriers from newborn I especially use the soft wraps for the first 6 months and then my Mai Tai's more so after this. Though if my baby, no matter the age, is in need of some comfort time with mum I will use a soft wrap. If you live somewhere cool enough a Storchenwiege might be worth a look at as it looks like a great fabric to go from newborn to toddler... alas my part of Australia doesn't get cold enough

Most carriers have good resale value. Or you could get one second hand to save on cost.

Congrats anyway Very exciting, praying you have a wonderful pregnancy!

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 02 2011 at 4:47am | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

I like this web page from Storchenwiege showing Other uses for your baby carrier

herdingkittens
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 02 2011 at 6:47am | IP Logged Quote herdingkittens

Sharyn wrote:
I like this web page from Storchenwiege showing Other uses for your baby carrier

LOVE this! I can relate to these - Oftentimes I end up in a situation (out and about) where I need to make pants or a diaper out of something unorthodox.   

By the way, this reminded me that you can make a wrap out of a bed sheet (my plans before I found mine 2nd hand and cheap). Cut in half and sew the two lengths together with a good strong stitch.

Also, I used a lengthy scarf as a sling a few times in the winter time when I was without an extra carrier and had to carry 2. Just tied a big knot and popped one in there.

10 Bright Stars
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 02 2011 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote 10 Bright Stars

Congrats on the twins!!!! Your life will never be the same again. I have 5 year old twins girls and I will just tell you from experience that you probably won't have TIME to do much carrying! If you are nursing, you will nurse..and I am not exaggerating here...ALL DAY! If you plan on supplementing..you will be nursing one and supplementing the other...trying to sleep a little and otherwise be on the go constantly. I would just seriously recommend investing in those little swing/bouncey chairs and not feel the slightest bit guilty, even if you are into baby-wearing. They get pretty heavy and like I said, you will be feeding them non-stop! And, you don't HAVE to do everything with them together even though I struggled with that too. Looking back, they are still individual people, even though I kept them together most of the time. They did enjoy laying together in one bouncey chair when they were very, very little. It is, and this is just MY opinion and experience, very difficult to do both. I would think that it might be possible to carry one on the front and then one in a backpack when they got a little older, but managing both would be difficult in my opinion and perhaps not worth the 10 minutes that you will have free to do something anyway. Or, just baby-wear one child and then switch. Again, they do like being together, but not necc. ON you. SWIM?

If you can nap...nap a lot now! Try to sleep while they sleep too. I became quite sleep-deprived with my twins and gained 30 lbs in 3 months!!!!! (apparantly there IS something to the whole cortisol theory.) Not to scare you or anything, just giving straight facts from my experience, but my girls have always been very high energy, and perhaps they were just high energy babies. The caution I am trying to relate I guess is thinking that it will be the same as it was with your singletons..because it is not. I always felt as if it was 4 times the work, not double. I don't say this in a discourging way, but to let you know certain paradigms of child-rearing and thinking might have to be adjusted just for this go round. I NEVER used formula with other kids...simply HAD to with the twins. I would nurse them tandemly and they were still screaming and I was all "out" so to speak. So, had to supplement. Demand fed all the others and children since them...but with the twins, that would have meant literally being attached to the rocker ALL DAY AND ALL NIGHT! So, the formula helped me be able to care for the other kids and helped Dad be involved and helpful. It was all SO MUCH FUN!!!!! and I would love to do it again! You'll see what I mean when they arrive, but don't feel badly about NOT wearing them if it just proves too much of a logistic nightmare to try to DO this. I remember I got very good at carrying two babies, but you have to pick up one child by their sleeper to get them both in your arms. NEVER would I have done this with my other babies, but there was no other way to pick the one up while holding the other!!!! I could also open my front door with my foot! (it has one of those handles that you push down, but still pretty impressive, right? ) I would feed them their baby food with the same spoon and jar after thinking that was gross at first, but then realizing switching back and forth between two different jars and food was very slow and they would start crying...so....one for you..one for you...one for you and one for you....Two little baby birdies!!

So, THE most important things for you to be worrying about right now are:
-rest for you!!!!! Can't stress this enough!!!!
-rest for spouse
-frozen meals in freezer unless someone plans on bringing you meals...for a month. (Our church DID bring us dinnners for TWO WHOLE MONTHS!!!) Ask for and plan for help if you can. No time to be heroic!
-Something to safely lay them down in that you can move from room to room. (i.e. swinging bouncey chairs would be my recommendation)
-setting up a comfey nursing station for yourself in the midst of the family with phone, snaacks, water bottle, diapers and wipes ALL close by with change of clothes right there...everything very conveinient. We have to let go of the "just so" parenting as I often call it and start thinking of the basics.
-Figure out how you are going to get sleep after they arrive. My husband and I were getting NO sleep so I took both babies in a spare room and did my best since he was falling alseep at work! This was probably NOT a good solution for me, since my health was negatively affected. So, just be honest and come up with a plan. You CANNOT just sleep and nurse with two babies. Something I did not plan on. (i.e. I usually co-sleep with my babies and they nurse to sleep and I sleep. You cannot really do this with twins. One is always left out. ) My husband eventually would take one twin that didn't seem to care if she nursed to sleep or not with him and that was "his twin" and I would take the one who liked to nurse in another room and that was "my" twin. Yes, we did sleep in different rooms for awhile because they tend to wake each other up! So, I would feel badly about the twin that went with Daddy, so I would nurse her in the morning and give the night-time nurser the formula bottle. That way, they were both getting to nurse, and I would tandem nurse as much as possible during the daytime after letting the one twin nurse both in the morning. SO cute to have 4 little eyes looking up at you and then they used to hold hands!!!! ADORABLE, right??

So, now you are completely like, "What??? What is UP with THIS chick?" This is just my experience, and EACH baby and in this case, set of babies, is different, but these are some of the things to plan for since you may have a similiar experience which you can plan for and be ready for. Like I said, our lives completely changed with the arrival of our beautiful twin girls!!!! It was a fun time, a wild time, a sleepless time, but I would do it all again in a heartbeat. But, like I said, be prepared to think in NEW ways and don't feel obligated to do things the way you always did in the past. I remember having to "let them cry". This is COMPLETELY not my personality!!! But, the laundry DID have to get done since I didn't have older children at the time! So, I would lay them both in their crib together.( I never usually even use a crib) and I would turn on a classical music station for "enrichment", and get busy on the laundry! I felt badly that they were screaming, (which they ALWAYS did)so I told myself it was "stretch and play" time. This made me feel less guilty, and I tried to do it in 15-20 minute "bursts" a few times a day, but I HAD to do this! So, I had to get used to not feeling guilty if it was just a short time and they were dry, fed, and right nearby and safe. (My laundry room is upstairs so I could keep going in there and talking to them etc. while folding. They still screamed, but I felt better!!! I would sometimes sing to them too, but I think this was to self-soothe myself when I think about it, not just them!! ) Also feet to feet at a certain age (say around 2-3 months) NOT side by side. Why? When they cry they smack each other!!! Didn't think of that, did you? Well, I solved that by putting them feet to feet and then they would kick and kick each others little feet, but that was cute too!

So, I hope you can appreciate some of this advice and take it to heart.! It is going to be a wonderful, WONDER-FILLED time of your life. Wishing you much happiness and again, congratulations!!!!

Mary 12, Gracie 10,
Isabelle and Sophia 8,
Gabrielle 6,
William Anthony 4, Joseph 3 and Luisa Marie - born in M
Back to Top View 10 Bright Stars's Profile Search for other posts by 10 Bright Stars Visit 10 Bright Stars's Homepage

10 Bright Stars
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 02 2011 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote 10 Bright Stars

Also IF you plan on tandem nursing..you will have to experiment with pillows and more pillows! I recommend the foot-ball hold and a pillow under each child on your side meeting in the middle IF you are in a lazy-boy style rocker, and then one pillow for each if you sit on a bed nursing Indian style. (i.e you are sitting up and they are on each side, hands under each little head to position....I did need help with this until they were out of the floppy, very newborn stage. (Husband would hand me one, and then I would take the other while he supported the one.) I do pray that husband can take a good few weeks off?? At least two would be my recommendation, more if possible. You will need help for your other littles if not. (hard to get up from a chair quickly with two babies latched on and a toddler falls or something or is needing adult help in some other way.)

Sorry if this is not your question, but just things I didn't think about before having twins, so sharing the wealth (of knowledge) so to speak!

Mary 12, Gracie 10,
Isabelle and Sophia 8,
Gabrielle 6,
Back to Top View 10 Bright Stars's Profile Search for other posts by 10 Bright Stars Visit 10 Bright Stars's Homepage

herdingkittens
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 02 2011 at 9:06pm | IP Logged Quote herdingkittens

10 Bright Stars wrote:
Congrats on the twins!!!! Your life will never be the same again. I have 5 year old twins girls and I will just tell you from experience that you probably won't have TIME to do much carrying!

how funny - I had the exact opposite experience! I did not have time to NOT wear my twins. Just goes to show you that no one has the same experience!   

10 Bright Stars
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 02 2011 at 9:43pm | IP Logged Quote 10 Bright Stars

That is funny. Like I said, they were high energy then and STILL are, so each child is def. different. Also, I do have a very bad back, so that could have played into that too! (not wearing them so much as holding them. and mine weren't that little to start: (6lbs and 7.5 lbs!!) SO exciting though!! It brought back so many sweet memories sharing and talking about it. So happy for you, Chris!!!

Mary 12, Gracie 10,
Isabelle and Sophia 8,
Gabrielle 6,

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 02 2011 at 11:13pm | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

10BrightStars I think your advice was very wise. Interesting to read too that herdingkittens was able to carry her twins. It can depend so much on the situation. Always good to prepare for what you most hope for, and accept what seems best when the time comes. And it can be so hard to guess ahead of time. Having had a little boy three weeks ago ( )I've been reminded of that. I'm such a planner, I planned what I hoped for to such a degree that I thought there couldn't be too much to surprise me. But there were some things. So much to celebrate, a beautiful little boy. But some things that didn't go to plan. There were some things I had to let go of. I'm very thankful to one of my very good friends that she's always there to say to me that it's okay, that the best you could do really was the best. You just got to praise the Lord for all His Blessings. Times so short. We have a brief moment to see and do those important things. To not get caught up in what is not.

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 02 2011 at 11:37pm | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

herdingkittens wrote:
Also, I used a lengthy scarf as a sling a few times in the winter time when I was without an extra carrier and had to carry 2. Just tied a big knot and popped one in there.

I've gotten to the shops on a couple of occassions and realised I've left the carrier at home and managed to find a a suitable cheap scarf each time to save the day

Which reminds me, I should put them in the car now that I have a little one again so that I don't have to buy any more emergency scarf slings

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version