Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Master bedroom for the kids? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 22 2011 at 10:42am | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

Moving day was Tuesday, so I have been lost in a sea of boxes since then! But I'm coming up for air to thank you for your responses and report on our situation so far...

After talking with my husband, we decided to go ahead and try putting all the kids in the master bedroom. (He was very much in favor.) So far, it seems to be working pretty well. We have the three oldest (5yob, 4oyg, 2yog) in the main room and the baby (1yob) in the master closet, which as I mentioned, is a huge walk-in with sliding doors right off the master bath. One of the big advantages is the master closet, which now houses all the clothes for all four children--so much easier putting laundry away, getting little people dressed in the morning, etc. Also, the master bath is much easier to maneuver little kids in (larger tub, for example).

My husband and I really like our room also--it's still pretty large, but it seems much cozier than the more spacious master, and we both really like that when the newborn arrives, we'll have the option of putting her in her own room once she's sleeping longer stretches, and we'll get some genuinely private space and time to ourselves without having to go downstairs. If we had taken the master and the boys and girls took the other two bedrooms, our only option would have been the master closet for the baby, which isn't private enough to allow us to talk freely/watch movies/etc. without waking her up. Here we will be able to shut both doors and use our bedroom as a genuine "hanging out" space.

So it seems to be a good fit for our current family dynamics. If we need to switch things around at some point to suit a change in our situation, we'll handle that when the time comes.

With that kind of flexibility in mind, I'm thinking about decorating now. We have a new baby coming in August, so I'm not going to be decorating until after that, and we don't have much of a budget for it anyway. One thing I have tried to do is to keep all the furniture in the house in the same color (birch--light wood) so that furniture can be switched around easily from room to room. We also have kept the bedding in both children's rooms in a similar palette, which has been easy since I don't favor particularly "girly" colors for girls' rooms anyway. The bedding we currently use for the girls' room and nursery has mostly greens, turquoise, and light yellows, which I think can be adapted to suit the boys too with some blues mixed in.

I am very open to suggestions for gender-neutral decorating, so please feel free to add your ideas!! I don't plan on buying much, but we are planning to paint an accent wall in the room and to buy some real bedding (the older two are still using crib mattresses, so they'll be upgraded to twin beds sometime soon).

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version