Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Monthly food budget Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 26 2011 at 10:34am | IP Logged Quote juststartn

TxTrish wrote:
I love when this topic comes up.

My "household" budget is $900 every 2 weeks. So $1800 a month.
This is food, cleaning supplies, clothing, any little things we do for school/fun like skating or what have you. I also pay for school supplies, lessons, and any other what have you's that come up.

I buy in bulk (Sam's, local discount or salvage stores, the Amish drygoods store locally, Breadbecker's or whatever)cook from scratch and purchase meat by the side when possible. I shop at the farmers market and try to eat seasonally and local when we can. My family hunts and we eat a lot of venison most years.

Does anyone else keep a well stocked pantry with lots of extra basics for any unforseen emergencies?
I use my household budget money for stocking up there, also. I have built my storage slowly this way. Just buying one extra here and there.

I did not grow a garden this year - OK I have never grown a garden, though I keep trying.
There is always next year.
In the meantime, I will see if I can't find a bargain locally at the farmers market or what I can find and try my hand at canning.

We are 4 adults, 3 children at home. Oh, and 4 dogs. They come out of my household budget too!

We rarely eat out.

I do the stocking up thing, too, Trish. I just lucked into a great sale on PB...18oz container for $1. Store brand, but really, its just as tasty as some name brand, and what I would have spent $8.74 on for the cheapest at Wally World, I was able to get for $6 at the local AWG supplied grocery store (locally owned and operated). Fortunately for me, I've got plenty of shelving available (had DH build me some, and short of the Second Coming, they aren't going anywhere, lol). Also cleaned out and organized my spare fridge and my freezers, hoping to take advantage on any of the lower price beef I expect to see coming down the pike pretty soon. Already had to get a rain check on some $2/# rump roasts. Cheapest I've seen those for some time was a hair over $2.50. Will be getting some of those on Friday, hopefully.

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

mommy4ever
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 09 2011 at 11:34am | IP Logged Quote mommy4ever

I'm in Canada, and in a fairly high cost of living area. There are 6 of us, ds17, dd14, dd12, dd7, dh and myself, plus 2 fulltime preschoolers in my care 5 days a week. I spend on average $100/wk on food. We might eat out once or twice a month. One would be $30 at a fast food the other about $70 at a 'family' restaurant...ugh. It's getting too pricey so I try to avoid it by keeping a few easy "convenience" type meals ready to go(as in heat and go, but I usually have made my own versions). I get minimal packaged items other than frozen veggies and occasional fries.

I cook from scratch using my grandma's recipes often, so it's cheap, but usually highly nutritious. She had to do it that way she had 17 kids :) I also picked up what is now my favorite cookbook, More-With-Less cookbook. It's from the 70's. Great book, worth finding at the library. But I am able to make so much more from so little! My leftovers for the week that don't get eaten, easily become a soup(in the NEW(it was new) $5 pressure cooker from a garage sale). Make some biscuits, grab lettuce from the garden for a really cheap and yummy supper. Even dh isn't complaining and he doesn't like soup... but hates seeing leftovers wasted.

I get all my hba items with coupons matched with sales. I have a great storage shelf of items I get for free or nearly free. So that does help save :) when I go over budget on groceries.

Dh and ds when working take leftovers so less bought processed foods for lunch. I use the http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/Artisan-Bread-In-Fi ve-Minutes-A-Day.aspx recipe to make most of our bread. I have the full cookbook. It is inexpensive to make, takes minimal hands on time.

My family doesn't eat beans(although I do :) ), we use meat at every supper, but I try to load them up on salad and a starch so they don't need quite as much meat.

I use a pantry principal. Buy only at rock bottom prices, and with a coupon as much as possible. When I do that, i can stock up. I have also started making some things myself. Jams, jellies, fruit sauces for pancakes. It doesn't take much or cost much to have a full year supply of those when you make them yourself. I got pasta sauce recently $1/can then I had a .50 coupon. Got 12. That should last us most of the year. I got Campbell soup, I use the mushroom and tomato as bases for other things for .09/can. i won't need those again for a long time. So that frees up money for other groceries. Mostly week to week I'm buying fresh stuff and a loss leader that I'd like. Iknow I'm waiting for peaches to go on sale to make a jam, I use that for a sweet and sour crock pot chicken. For $8 in peaches and $3 in sugar, $2 Certo, I'll have enough for the year. Compared to $4/little jar that is enough for 1 meal.

It's hard to compare. I know a family that uses $100/mo, with 3 kids. I know for her it is because there just isn't more to use.....She does forage for wild berries, gets freebies from others gardens and preserves/freezes them. She also helps at a farm and gets a few chickens or beef cuts.

But it really depends on where you are, the costs, if you have stores that double coupons(none of that here!), or stacks(no luck for real food here), and what you eat, or how minimal you are willing to eat. There is really no way to truly compare.
Back to Top View mommy4ever's Profile Search for other posts by mommy4ever

leanne maree
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 09 2011 at 9:54pm | IP Logged Quote leanne maree

I am also in Australia. NSW, Hunter Valley area.

We have only the 3 of us to feed now, so Our bill is Aus$450.00. Thats everything. Butcher included.
We may get takeaway twice a month. $30.

We do however, like to support Australian brands so it does take our bill a little higher. (a lot of our tradition Aussie products are now owned by overseas companies)
Leanne

http://leannemaree.blogspot.com/
Back to Top View leanne maree's Profile Search for other posts by leanne maree Visit leanne maree's Homepage

TracyFD
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 10 2011 at 3:48pm | IP Logged Quote TracyFD

Wow, I am impressed! We obviously need to trim our budget even more. I am really trying to do this without giving up organic food or playing the coupon game.

My husband goes by Costco and Trader Joe's every other week on his way home from work. At Costco he gets organic pantry items, organic dairy, a few produce items, some frozen foods and paper products. At Trader Joe's he gets coffee beans, 32 oz yogurt, and wine. This usually comes to at least $400 a month.

Once a month I order $100 or so from Azure - Rudi's bread, nitrate free meats, personal care products, cleaning products and a few other things.

Once a year we buy grass-fed non-certified organic beef and Biblicaly butchered local organic whole chickens.

For the rest I go to Aldi first to see what I can get there, then to SuperTarget or other area grocery stores. This can be another $100 a week. If I think about it, I look for coupons online for items already on my list.

For the last few months we have come in around $800-900 and this is much less than it has been! I obviously need to figure out what else I can do. I make menus, frequently go meatless, rarely eat out, etc. Any ideas?

Pinewood Castle
Back to Top View TracyFD's Profile Search for other posts by TracyFD Visit TracyFD's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 10 2011 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Going meatless only helps if the other ingredients help your budget. Cheese costs as much as meat.. and other ingredients can be pricey as well.

I've found that at least some of the time I can get away with mixing the cheese into the beans for burritos.. much better portion control and really helps keep that cost down.

Other things like bread especially, you can make for way way less.. but it takes time.. and sometimes you have to trade time for money. but if you have a mixer that can handle the kneading.. bread really takes very little concentrated time.. just time at home to keep it going.

As far as nitrate free lunchmeats.. have you tried just using your roasts or chicken and slicing that meat for sandwiches? Not as neat and pretty.. but can be pretty good and may cost a great deal less depending on the cost you're paying for the meats.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

TracyFD
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 10 2011 at 6:58pm | IP Logged Quote TracyFD

Good point about the cheese! I have one bean hater but try to sneak them into quesadillas anyway!

When we buy lunch meat, it's usually the herbed turkey from Costco. I do use leftover chicken for sandwiches - lately we have been grilling a whole chicken on Saturday and chopping the leftovers for chicken-apple salad sandwiches for a Sunday picnic.

We really like Shelton's breakfast turkey sausage links for Sunday breakfast - that's an Azure purchase. I rarely buy any other meat from them due to the price.

I am definitely considering baking more bread this fall. I have a Kitchen Aid, it's just a matter of getting the ball rolling with everything else in the morning! The laundry, the baby, the kids' chores and school, the dinner plans, preschool, starting a fire in the winter months, etc. It's enough to make my brain pop before 9 am!

Pinewood Castle
Back to Top View TracyFD's Profile Search for other posts by TracyFD Visit TracyFD's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 10 2011 at 7:10pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

How old are your kids Tracy? Not meaning to brag.. but my oldest was able to handle making the bread with the kitchen aid well enough that at age 10 she won 3rd place in a contest at our little county fair.. against adults. And my dh trained my oldest son at about age 8 to be able to chop kindling and start a fire.

Maybe instead of thinking of making bread as a start in the morning thing.. it could be something you could do starting it at lunch time and having it done before bed so you have it next morning.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

TracyFD
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 10 2011 at 8:35pm | IP Logged Quote TracyFD

Now there's some "food" for thought!

Thanks for the idea

Pinewood Castle

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 10 2011 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

I like to use the 5 minute Artisan Bread recipe for loaf bread. I bought a Pullman loaf pan, and it makes great sandwich bread (as opposed to those little loaf pans which make a great smallish quick bread loaf, but are ridiculous for a family of any good size!).

And I've got my 11 yr old in charge of the bread making--she's been doing it for about a year now, too. Easy, only a few ingredients, it can rise while you are doing school, doesn't require 15 times of kneading, etc. REALLY easy.

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 11 2011 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

TracyFD wrote:

Once a month I order $100 or so from Azure - Rudi's bread, nitrate free meats, personal care products, cleaning products and a few other things.

This is somewhat off topic, but how do you like Azure, Tracy? I have heard conflicting things about them. Some people think they're great, but I have also heard about orders getting mixed up, stuff missing, etc.

More on topic, Milehimama is doing her Food Stamp Challengeagain, but this time with an emphasis on "real food".

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

TracyFD
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 9:38am | IP Logged Quote TracyFD

Azure has a few weak points - their inventory is not reliable so I have learned not to expect everything to be in stock, especially seasonal or sale items. I think they could work on their website to make it easier to find specific items, especially allergen-free and gluten-free categories.

Another concern has been with produce. I find that if I order a whole case of something it is packed better. I have found a bag of tomatoes in a box on top of canned goods. A whole case of pears, for instance will be placed in the refrigerated section, but a few will be in a box with pantry items and spoiled by the time they arrive.

Other than that, I find this company a huge blessing - customer service is great, the organic-farmer truck drivers are wonderful and on time, and the prices are less than what we paid through United Foods. Some items are less at Costco (like Coleman hotdogs) so I had to do some price comparison before deciding what to get where. Overall I feel comfortable supporting this Christian-owned company.

Pinewood Castle

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 18 2012 at 12:39pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

Yahoo had an article today about how the Duggars support their children and live debt-free. Here's what it said about groceries:

Buy in bulk. With 21 mouths to feed, the family spends a significant portion of its earnings on food. They do a monthly bulk-shopping run for essentials—such as the 48 boxes of cereal they consume a month. Still, the Duggar family grocery bill is a whopping $3,000 per month.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 18 2012 at 1:07pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Yes buying in bulk can definately help but it's tricky, bulk is not always cheapest, and where you live can make such a huge difference. I do really well by shopping more often and local with sales than spending the money to drive to further away stores for "bulk prices" (which are not always cheaper than the smaller packages btw, especially if you add in the cost of the fuel to get there) They're still spending monthly $143/person, I only spend $109/person.

-Sir Walter Scott

Barb.b
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 20 2012 at 8:02am | IP Logged Quote Barb.b

Well, I you all had me go online to check last month and - about $640 for march for family of 3-4 (my college kiddo was home for one week in march). Actually, in March I wasn't consciously budgeting as I usually do. BUt by habit I usually by grocery store generic brands and buy sales. And in March I got away from coupons - so I need to get back to coupons and see if I do better.

Back to Top View Barb.b's Profile Search for other posts by Barb.b

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 20 2012 at 8:16am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

TracyFD wrote:
Azure has a few weak points - their inventory is not reliable so I have learned not to expect everything to be in stock, especially seasonal or sale items. I think they could work on their website to make it easier to find specific items, especially allergen-free and gluten-free categories.

Another concern has been with produce. I find that if I order a whole case of something it is packed better. I have found a bag of tomatoes in a box on top of canned goods. A whole case of pears, for instance will be placed in the refrigerated section, but a few will be in a box with pantry items and spoiled by the time they arrive.

Other than that, I find this company a huge blessing - customer service is great, the organic-farmer truck drivers are wonderful and on time, and the prices are less than what we paid through United Foods. Some items are less at Costco (like Coleman hotdogs) so I had to do some price comparison before deciding what to get where. Overall I feel comfortable supporting this Christian-owned company.

Did you know that Costco now carries Rudi's bread? At least ours has been for a few months now.

And our BJs carries Applegate products, too.

Not trying to discourage you from your source, I just know that sometimes I miss it when the bulk stores add new products that I would like to use because we often shop our list rather than browse.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version