Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: hair loss Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 12 2011 at 5:36pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

it is possible to have low thyroid post partum that does correct itself with time.. not a "permanant condition".. so that is something to consider.

Biotin is in prenatals so it's ok to use pregnant and nursing.. my prenatals have 300mcg. It's a B vitamin so would be water soluable, not fat soluable. Lack of it does cause hair loss, and in infants it is apparently a cause of cradle cap. I don't see any warnings on it.. and apparently you can take 400-800mcg a day. You also need the other B vitamins, Vitamin C and folic acid for your body to assimiliate Biotin. Mostly I get my info from the book "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" By Balch

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 02 2011 at 9:04am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Stephanie, how is the hair problem going?   

I'm revisiting this conversation, because I've had problems with hair loss for a few years. Of course, I associated it with my family history (mom and grandma had very sparse hair by their "golden years" and both were hypothyroid.) My doc would check my TSH with every visit (and she will continue to do so, given my family history,) and it has been fine every time. She said I was just following my genes, in the hair department.

This past visit, she also checked my iron levels. LOW! I am now on supplements for my iron, same one as Karen, and I have already noticed an improvement after only a month. I had also heard that Head and Shoulders is helpful, but haven't tried that.

IN Christ,
Stacy in MI

Karen T wrote:
My hair was falling out a lot this past year - luckily i've always had thick hair so it wasn't noticeable to others, but I'd get huge amounts of hair when brushing/washing, etc. It was exactly like post-partum in that respect. I do have a thyroid problem already and I had to switch doctors b/c my previous one wasn't treating it enough, but even after getting my TSH back down to a good level, the hair continue to fall out. My doctor checked my ferritin levels (iron stored in the bone marrow, not just regular iron) and I was extremely low. I've been on iron supplements for a few months now and the hair stopped falling out.

Karen
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

10 Bright Stars
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 02 2011 at 9:14am | IP Logged Quote 10 Bright Stars

Has anyone had any luck with Biotin supplements? My MIL started taking them and her hair started growing! (She used it as per the recommendation of her dc because her nails kept splitting and breaking at the edge of her finger, causing problems.

God bless,
Kim

Mary 12, Gracie 10,
Isabelle and Sophia 8,
Gabrielle 6,
William Anthony 4, Joseph 3 and Luisa Marie - born in M
Back to Top View 10 Bright Stars's Profile Search for other posts by 10 Bright Stars Visit 10 Bright Stars's Homepage

10 Bright Stars
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 02 2011 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote 10 Bright Stars

Sorry! Just saw that someone else already recommended that!

Mary 12, Gracie 10,
Isabelle and Sophia 8,
Gabrielle 6,
William Anthony 4, Joseph 3 and Luisa Marie - born in M
Back to Top View 10 Bright Stars's Profile Search for other posts by 10 Bright Stars Visit 10 Bright Stars's Homepage

mathmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 02 2011 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote mathmama

Karen T wrote:
My hair was falling out a lot this past year - luckily i've always had thick hair so it wasn't noticeable to others, but I'd get huge amounts of hair when brushing/washing, etc. It was exactly like post-partum in that respect. I do have a thyroid problem already and I had to switch doctors b/c my previous one wasn't treating it enough, but even after getting my TSH back down to a good level, the hair continue to fall out. My doctor checked my ferritin levels (iron stored in the bone marrow, not just regular iron) and I was extremely low. I've been on iron supplements for a few months now and the hair stopped falling out.

Karen

I second the connection to iron. My hair is also thick so my hair loss wasn't noticeable to others. I recently hit rock bottom in the sense that everything hurt, I was nauseous all the time, tired, brain fog, etc. I started an iron supplement and within a day I notice less hair loss (didn't realize they were related). Now, nearly 2 weeks later I don't notice any hair loss in the shower (it used to be a really big clump).

Veronica 10/09
Theodora 11/12
Back to Top View mathmama's Profile Search for other posts by mathmama

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 02 2011 at 5:07pm | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

stacykay wrote:
Stephanie, how is the hair problem going?   

I'm revisiting this conversation, because I've had problems with hair loss for a few years. Of course, I associated it with my family history (mom and grandma had very sparse hair by their "golden years" and both were hypothyroid.) My doc would check my TSH with every visit (and she will continue to do so, given my family history,) and it has been fine every time. She said I was just following my genes, in the hair department.

This past visit, she also checked my iron levels. LOW! I am now on supplements for my iron, same one as Karen, and I have already noticed an improvement after only a month. I had also heard that Head and Shoulders is helpful, but haven't tried that.

Stacy, have we already hit the"golden years"???
It is in my family history also, but I never heard anyone mention a thyroid problem. My granddad had more hair than my grandma when he died at 83. My aunt really lost a lot of hair, but never made any attempt to correct the problem (according to my mom). I began taking nutritional supplements a couple of months ago. With everything else going on I really can't say if it is having a positive effect or not. My problem is not that it is falling out by the handfull, but that the natural hair loss has no replacement.
I also heard that Head and Shoulders is helpful for some.

When I see a woman with noticeable hair loss I am sooooo tempted to approach her on the subject, but because it is such a sensitive issue I restrain myself. It's too bad actually, because maybe we could learn from each other... but then again, they evidently haven't found a solution either.   

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

I've been having a great deal of hair loss recently as well - similar to what I had 2 years ago and discovered that my cell phone was missing a piece that blocks EM fields from emanating from it.... (stop using that phone and within months, my hair was thicker again). I'm having the same ear pain I had then as well.

So I'm just tossing in that idea as well - cell phone usage can also cause hair loss.

I can't switch phones again right now, so I'm limiting my time, going as much speaker-phone as possible - AND I'm going to try all the ideas above, because, well, I'm getting older every day and if my hair is already falling out, it means things are weaker and I might as well strengthen it as much as possible!

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 16 2011 at 2:21am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Cell phones and hair loss!!!! It is unbelievable!

That cannot be the source of my problem, because I rarely have my phone on, let alone use it.
My dh and oldest dd are always making fun of me because of it.

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

Swasyb
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 30 2012 at 2:27pm | IP Logged Quote Swasyb

Thank you all so much!!!

I'm so glad to see this topic. I've been having trouble with my hair for almost six years. I have insulin resistance, and the hormone imbalances make my hair thin. I recently got off of the meds because of the side effects, and my hair seems to have gotten worse. I'm going to try some of these suggestions.

I've never heard of rake treatment and have no idea how to find someone who does that. Is it common?
Back to Top View Swasyb's Profile Search for other posts by Swasyb

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version