Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Book discussion :: *BOYS SHOULD BE BOYS* Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 22 2011 at 12:16pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

got the book coming.. but it's not back in stock until the 24th so I'll be a bit behind when we start but not much

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 22 2011 at 12:56pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Broke down and ordered another copy of the Winter M & M...I mean, what if I LOST it??? GASP!!

Starting on the Boys Should Be Boys book which I received yesterday from Amazon. Really looking forward to our discussion. I think I'm coming at it from a very different perspective, having three boys already gone and gone from home. Looking at my younger boys now, I realize I have a very different idea of what is valuable and worthwhile in terms of how we spend our time than I did when my older boys were young.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 22 2011 at 12:57pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Wow, now I'm crying just thinking how fast it goes!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 22 2011 at 1:28pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

stellamaris wrote:
Broke down and ordered another copy of the Winter M & M...I mean, what if I LOST it??? GASP!!

Glad you'll be sure to have your copy!!

Another article from the winter mater et magistra that I really enjoyed was Belinda Mooney's Helping Our Sons To Become Spiritual Warriors. Her leading paragraph is quite thought provoking:

Belinda Mooney wrote:
Men need to be spiritual warriors especially in this post-Christian era where marriage and the family are attacked and the most vulnerable are murdered or abused. Fr. William Casey of the Fathers of Mercy recently gave a retreat entitled, "The Spiritual Battle of Our Times" in which he described how the world has attacked God the Son and the Holy Spirit and is now in open defiance of God the Father. He called upon all men to become spiritual warriors to defend Our Father and restore a culture of life and love. In a world which emphasizes men's athletic, intellectual, and business success, building their spiritual life is essential.

So true!! Belinda goes on to discuss cultivating and fostering a prayer life in our son's everyday lives.

In our home, our sons enjoy it when they are allowed to lead the family Rosary. They take great pride in offering the mysteries and leading the prayers. When my dh is out of town, or not home for the evening, I ask my oldest son to lead the Rosary. His shoulders square, and he takes up his Rosary with great pride and determination as if he has been asked to fill some big shoes in leading the family prayers for the evening.

My oldest son really enjoys having his own prayer book for morning and evening prayers. While some prayers are memorized, he says he likes to use the prayer book because it helps keep his mind focused. He keeps his prayer book on his desk which is next to his bed. When I was upstairs recently to do the spring deep clean and switcheroo of seasonal clothes, I found stuff everywhere. sigh. Papers, toys, parts, pieces, clothes...the boys room was in disarray, as it is wont to be after being left alone for anything over 30 seconds. But, there on his desk, tucked near his lamp was his prayer book with holy cards and he had taken a handful of paper clips and marked several pages of prayers for himself with them.

I'd love to hear other ideas on what you may do to foster and nurture a prayer life and prepare your sons for spiritual battle?

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 22 2011 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

My oldest is younger than yours, Jen, but a few thoughts.

Leading the rosary is a very big deal -- considered a responsibility. Both the 7 and the 3 yo strive to lead.

Both sons want to imitate Daddy. While I want to do it in private, we both try to make sure they see us pray and spiritual reading. Imitation, especially of Daddy, is so key. Daddy has a spiritual life, they can see and hear that.

The Holy Bible -- my son really likes to read the Word of God more and more.

And recently I found a little frame of the Madonna and Child to give to my older son. My husband and I both have little icons or crucifixes to keep near our workspace/computer to keep our work focused. Giving the picture to my son explaining that this was for him to look at during his reading and work meant so much.

And finally, stories of his patron saint and other saints to apply in daily life really, really reach his heart. Recently we told of St. Josemaria who used to read the newspaper and stop and lean his forehead into his hand, close his eyes and pray for those he was reading about. That hit home, and he's been doing the same practice.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

RyaneM
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 22 2011 at 1:41pm | IP Logged Quote RyaneM

Mackfam wrote:

Another article from the winter mater et magistra that I really enjoyed was Belinda Mooney's Helping Our Sons To Become Spiritual Warriors.

I loved this article too. I read some of it outloud to dh. I met Belinda at the IHM Conference last year. Such a lovely woman. She had recently moved to the small town where I was raised so we talked about that some, but she also had some wonderful suggestions for cultivating our domestic church. Glad to see she has an article in the next m et m issue too.

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 22 2011 at 3:10pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

JennGM wrote:
... stories of his patron saint and other saints to apply in daily life really, really reach his heart.

I have really made this a practice for us. I try to let the stories sink in and then find right moments to remind them about the Saints we've learned.

My oldest ds just joined our hs group of Contenders of the Faith. Everyone in the group is Catholic so the moms and dad who lead the group decided to have the first project be to make a rosary. And at the start of each meeting they say a decade of the rosary. He is very proud of this and his rosary hangs on his top bunk post.

Raising spiritual warriors is very important for me. I can see how not only will this lead them and have them walk with God but I can very much see how this will create gentle & wonderful fathers/husbands someday.

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 22 2011 at 3:40pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

AARRGGHH!    I knew it! FOUND my copy right here...on my desk! How did I overlook it????    

I almost posted, "I know I'll find it now that I ordered a new one," but then I thought, no....can't be...that's been happening WAY too much lately...

but sure enough

So I'll jump in soon!

Flowing Streams

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 22 2011 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

I haven't read everyone's replies but I have just the one lone boy too. I do receive the magazine and was quite delighted to see a whole issue dedicated to boys. I think I rec'd it on a Sat and even showed a couple of neighbors I was so excited.

Will try to join in the discussion. Not sure I'll be able to contribute much as I find it so hard to type while holding my almost 6 month old who is loving to bang the keys lately.    I'm sure you've all been there. I can def. read more than type as I hold her back away from the keyboard.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 22 2011 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Kathryn wrote:
I haven't read everyone's replies but I have just the one lone boy too. I do receive the magazine and was quite delighted to see a whole issue dedicated to boys. I think I rec'd it on a Sat and even showed a couple of neighbors I was so excited.

Will try to join in the discussion. Not sure I'll be able to contribute much as I find it so hard to type while holding my almost 6 month old who is loving to bang the keys lately.    I'm sure you've all been there. I can def. read more than type as I hold her back away from the keyboard.

Hey - I have a 10 year old fella, too, Kathryn!! Jump in whenever you have access to the keyboard and feel called!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 23 2011 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

From yesterday's Wall Street Journal: As Little Girls and Boys Grow, They Think Alike by Avery Johnson

Fits right into our discussion.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 23 2011 at 10:21am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Interesting article, Jenn! I think if we were to revisit sending our children to a classroom for some reason, I'd definitely look first at all boys schools. It seems that they really have specific needs for learning, and given how distraction is always an issue for boys, I'm guessing that an all boys high school is also more conducive to study as the source of their distractions changes

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 23 2011 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Here is a link to an article by Anthony Esolen, Benign Neglect or Calculated Malignity

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 23 2011 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Also of note, not to steal the thunder from this book, but I have really enjoyed Anthony Esolen's new book, Ten Ways to Destroy the Imagination of Your Child, and there is a chapter dedicated to distinction of gender.

It is a very different read that Dr. Meeker, and it is very much a tongue in cheek sort of read like Screwtape is written from the perspective of the demons, but it is inspirational for the type of education I seek to offer my boys.

Anyway, I would recommend it as a follow-up to this one, though it is probably a bit more difficult a read than this, it definitely inspires the imagination and is a living book itself

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 23 2011 at 4:30pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Here's another perspective Has The Rise Of Women Turned Men Into Boys?

It seems to be very much a continuation of what is being talked about at the boy level in these other articles.. that boys and men are being given mixed messages about what it means to be a man AND what is acceptable behavior.

Quote:
Many women seem to want men that are confident and have a strong sense of themselves. At the same time, they are put off by too much masculine, authoritativeness.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 23 2011 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

OK this topic is HAUNTING ME

Here I was innocently looking for "adventure stories" for my oldest son on librivox. By adventure he means like Swiss Family Robinson, To Build a Fire, Narnia..

So I was looking for the classic adventure stories like Call of the Wild and Tom Sawyer and Treasure Island.. and not wanting to miss an obvious option.. I did a search for a list of classic adventure novels..

And one of the best lists turned up on this site...

The Art of Manliness

I just can't get away from the topic.. but it was a great list.

-Sir Walter Scott

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 24 2011 at 6:39am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Just be careful with the Art of Manliness site. Someone from our homeschool group linked it, and my husband went there. There are some great articles, but one of the first ones my husband happened to read (something to do with manly inventions, but I didn't read it and can't recall) scandalized him, so guard yourself clicking around

JaysFamily
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 24 2011 at 9:44am | IP Logged Quote JaysFamily

Oh, wow, I really love this topic!! Thanks for starting it, Jen! I'm going to order this book and this copy of the magazine tonight. I hope they get here in time for the discussion! I have SO MUCH to learn. I was hoping to sign our son up for t-ball this year, only to find out that he was supposed to have been registered in January. I was such a girly-girl growing up and only took dance. We just signed up every year in August and that was it. Yesterday I noticed that my son was finally tall enough to try to climb one of our trees. It was so hard to hold back and not stop him. He broke his collar bone just from rolling out of bed this winter, so I'm sure we're in for many ER trips throughout his childhood!    I much prefer to sit and read books, study bugs, etc., but not him. He wants to run around, build with Legos, and play fight.

Jaysfamily
wife to Jay
mother to DS(5)
Back to Top View JaysFamily's Profile Search for other posts by JaysFamily

cecilia4kids
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 24 2011 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote cecilia4kids

A very interesting post by Dr. Laura

http://www.drlaurablog.com/2011/03/24/vote-for-non-union-sin gle-sex-classrooms/

Cecilia
Back to Top View cecilia4kids's Profile Search for other posts by cecilia4kids Visit cecilia4kids's Homepage

cecilia4kids
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 24 2011 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote cecilia4kids

I love how Dr. Laura finishes the post:

They don't have to be ADHD to bounce off the walls. They just have to be male.

I am going to tell her about Dr. Meg Meeker's Book!

Blessing,
Cecilia

Back to Top View cecilia4kids's Profile Search for other posts by cecilia4kids Visit cecilia4kids's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version