Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Boycott Walmart Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 29 2006 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Like I said in an earlier response, there are already so many reasons to avoid Walmart. From the labor issues that Rachel mentioned to the swallowing up of small businesses and the death of downtowns, to this new issue. Truthfully, I avoid Walmart more because of the huge parking lot, crowded isles, and cheap plastic cr*p they sell. I dread dragging little ones through the store ("Mommy, I need this, Mommy I need that") and it is certainly not worth it to pop in for one or 2 items. Besides, I'd rather support our small, local businesses that are struggling to survive than the largest corporation in the world. I don't kid myself into thinking my not shopping there will affect them in the least, but I DO believe that my supporting small businesses WILL help them. I don't look at it so much as boycotting Walmart, as supporting the little guys when I can.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 29 2006 at 6:06pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

You know, one of the things I love about this place is that I can really learn things. One thing I've learned from this particular discussion is that I'm not the only one on the planet who is really tired of Wal-Mart and how it has such influence on what we buy and where we shop. When my husband comes home, I plan to have a serious talk with him about these issues. We already, like Gwen, try extremely hard to avoid buying Chinese-made products.

I can't see how it will be possible for us to boycott all pharmacies and/or stores that sell Plan B, RU-486, etc., but I wouldn't be terribly sorry to give up Wal-Mart.

I think the great part of this discussion is that we can all learn from each other. I certainly can't tell anyone how to shop...goodness knows, I don't have many choices up here, and perhaps someone else has Wal-Mart as her only choice. I appreciate learning from everyone. It's great to know that you're all out there, trying to do what God has called you to do.

abcmommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2006 at 6:52pm | IP Logged Quote abcmommy

Elizabeth wrote:
Point of information: Mary was talking about RU-486 Mifeprex (mifepristone) and abcmommy is talking about Plan B--which she has described above. They are not the same thing.

Walmart will be stocking Plan B or preven, not ru 486 (tho they may well plan to stock that as well, I have no idea.) At issue here, for the purpose of this thread, is Plan B.

As for Plan B being worse than a normal contraceptive pill... well, I don't know- how much worse is one abortifacient than another? Is the Pill less deadly than an physical abortion? If you feel strongly about one, it would follow (at least to my mind) you would feel equally appalled by the other.

Again, I dont feel particularly supportive of Walmart nor do I admire their practices, but I need Tide cheap and lots of it. I have diapers to wash LOL So now and then I go there. And Target has cute shoes in my price range.

I'll do my part in other ways to end abortion, I just dont feel called to boycott. If that is your calling I dont object at all, nor did I mean to bring a controversial tone by disagreeing with you!! Just not my deal and felt the need to open my big mouth.

Back to Top View abcmommy's Profile Search for other posts by abcmommy

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2006 at 8:43pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

abcmommy wrote:
As for Plan B being worse than a normal contraceptive pill... well, I don't know- how much worse is one abortifacient than another? Is the Pill less deadly than an physical abortion? If you feel strongly about one, it would follow (at least to my mind) you would feel equally appalled by the other.

I think my mental picture (which may be totally off) is that women using Plan B are using it after an "unprotected" episode, probably outside of marriage and probably not with a monogamous partner. And having the drug available makes it easier for them to choose to have that sort of episode.

Many married/monogamous couples use regular BC pills without realizing that contraception is a grave issue or that BC pills are abortifacient.

So I guess the in my mind Plan B is worse because it is encouraging unformed consciences to make worse choices than they are already making. For formed consciences, BC pills and Plan B do seem the same, but we aren't using any of these drugs I would hope.

Just doing some thinking aloud here.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 30 2006 at 5:26am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Rachel May wrote:
abcmommy wrote:

I think my mental picture (which may be totally off) is that women using Plan B are using it after an "unprotected" episode, probably outside of marriage and probably not with a monogamous partner. And having the drug available makes it easier for them to choose to have that sort of episode.

Many married/monogamous couples use regular BC pills without realizing that contraception is a grave issue or that BC pills are abortifacient.

So I guess the in my mind Plan B is worse because it is encouraging unformed consciences to make worse choices than they are already making. For formed consciences, BC pills and Plan B do seem the same, but we aren't using any of these drugs I would hope.

Good point, Rachel!

I also think the health risks are graver for the woman -- and she may be in an emotional state whee she's not clear on what she's doing.

Also, let me see if I have this right -- if a woman actually conceived during the "unprotected incident", than Plan B will work as a "medicated abortion" to have the uterus deny implantation. That's what I get from reading the information.

I'd like to thank everyone for this discussion -- I realize I didn't know as much as I thought I did and this has been a GREAT rabbit trail for me!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

abcmommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 30 2006 at 7:37am | IP Logged Quote abcmommy

Rachel May wrote:

I can see why you would think along these lines. I think you are probably right about the Plan B being used in the way you describe. I think probably its used within marriage too. I am really surprised by how opposed some people are to the idea of having more kids. I am always up for a new baby (well not always! I like some space between the babies!) But I would never be unhappy about finding myself pg.
Back to Top View abcmommy's Profile Search for other posts by abcmommy

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 30 2006 at 8:54am | IP Logged Quote momwise

Mary G. wrote:

Also, let me see if I have this right -- if a woman actually conceived during the "unprotected incident", than Plan B will work as a "medicated abortion" to have the uterus deny implantation. That's what I get from reading the information

That's exactly right. And the BC pill works the same way. In the beginning, the pill prevented ovulation in all cycles but of course that level of hormone was dangerous and by lowering the estrogens and adding the hormones that make the uterine lining hostile to life, the pill now prevents ovulation sometimes and in the case of fertilization, the uterine lining, along with the baby are sloughed off.

That's why there has been so much work in the last few years to re-define pregnancy to mean "implantation." You see? With a few new words thrown about by people with medical credentials, an abortion isn't an abortion anymore, it's just birth control.

Mary, you might want to include this link on your blog instead of PP's, since ALL will have more accurate and honest info and it might be safer to click around there than at PP.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 30 2006 at 12:20pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

momwise wrote:

Mary, you might want to include this link on your blog instead of PP's, since ALL will have more accurate and honest info and it might be safer to click around there than at PP.

Thanks for the link Gwen. I was using PP as a way of refute exactly what they said; hadn't thought about going beyond that link. I've added it to the blog.

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 09 2006 at 5:21am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

just saw this, from Charles Colson. Target apparently is also distributing the morning after pill. I don't know if that's news to you but it is to me, so I thought I'd post this here.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 09 2006 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Lissa wrote:

My family has been boycotting Walmart and Sam's for a couple of years because of their business practices.

Okay, in keeping with the boycott thread, where does a large family shop outside of today's mega-marketing giants and still make ends meet?

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 09 2006 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Alcat wrote:
If you guy are interested in my dh's reasoning I can have him post his Walmart rant for you

I am.   
I'm coming into this thread late so if you already posted, I'm sorry. If you haven't, I'd love to read his reasoning and rant.

PM it to me if you have to.
Thank you!

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version