Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Boycott Walmart Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 29 2006 at 6:18am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Listen, ladies,

I didn't mean to start such a controversy.

Everyone has to do what they feel is right. For me, I think Wal-mart caved and I'm going to boycott them. It's me doing it in my small part of the world. Like anything, you have to decide what's right for YOUR family....

Also, the monrning after pill is not the same as the Pill.

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2006 at 6:18am | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

Becky Parker wrote:
... This whole issue just has me really upset. My problem is where to shop? ... I hate the idea of supporting a store that sells morning after pills, bad magazines or whatever. I truly don't know what to do about this.
Becky

I feel frustrated as well.
Where do you shop when your choices are limited. If I shop at the grocery store that does not have a pharmacy, do I need to be concerned about the other stores in the chain that do have pharmacies?
What about hospital pharmacies? I believe they carry "Plan B."
If a pharmacy participates in any government program can they deny a prescription written by a health care provider?
Until this year we had an insurance plan that specified a certain pharmacy so that is where we went.

I know these kinds of dilemmas are not a new frustration.
When I was younger and my mother was a nurse in a place that did not have a Catholic hospital( this one was 40 minutes away so her commute was already difficult with the 12 hour shifts) She had a dilemma. She had always worked in a Catholic hospital so had not faced dealing with abortions. This non -Catholic hospital did abortions and patiens were kept overnight.. She was torn. Somehow she was able to manage to not participate in any abortion or the care of a patient who was having an abortion but cared for post abortion patients. I remember her saying something about those women needing the most care. I know Mom agonized about working in this hospital setting but her choices were so limited.

No answers, just maybe a need to pray more, do something more to fight abortion.
My hope is that it starts with FDA action against RU-486 because of the recent deaths. Maybe the fast track to approval missed some studies.

Wife to Rick (7/83), Mom to dd#1(6/87), dd#2(1/90), and dd#3(6/94) in central PA.
Back to Top View lilac hill's Profile Search for other posts by lilac hill

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 29 2006 at 6:49am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Viv,

I share your concerns...we're military and I can't choose my pharmacy easily. Also, it's not as though I live in a place that offers a giant selection of pharmacies.

How does one determine when a boycott is appropriate?

I think the success of the American Girl doll letter-writing/boycott campaign shows that these actions do work, but taking on every pharmacy in the country is on an entirely different scale.

Alcat
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 29 2006 at 7:42am | IP Logged Quote Alcat

Hi ladies,
My husband has ordered a boycott of Walmart awhile ago due to G.K.Chesterton    G.K., Belloc, and others promoted Distributism as an economic philosophy (here is a definition from wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributism

Sooo... this has been VERY hard on me because there are certain things that are difficult to find anywhere else other than walmart. It also means that many food items are out of my price range. I do a LOT of scratch cooking to make up for this. The things that kills me are buying shoes ($10 at wal vs $20-30 at real store) and tooth brushes $1.99 or .99 for two at wal vs $2.99 at the least at normal store).
If you guy are interested in my dh's reasoning I can have him post his Walmart rant for you
I have to say that I was completely opposed to doing away with walmart but I'm being won over. I have been impressed with how creative you have to be now to avoid the mega stores but it is manageable without blowing the budget... and to see my dollars stay within our community (for the most part) has been very gratifying
al

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2006 at 7:48am | IP Logged Quote momwise

I don't have a problem with people boycotting anything they possibly can. I'm a very dedicated boycott-er. I didn't go into a Target for years until they lifted their support of PP. I've boycotted Disney since Priest came out.

Even after Target was fine to shop at I tried to change my spending habits. It is almost impossible but I try not to buy items made in China. I have been trying for several years to buy as many gifts as possible from non-profits and craftspeople in the U.S. and developing countries so that the profit gets in the hands of the artists.

My main concern is that people contact the store once they have decided to boycott and use highly accurate information. Here is a link to more information about the Morning After Pill.

As stewards of the money God has given us, I think it behooves us to try as much as possible to make sure none of it gets in the hands of those who use it for immoral purposes.

We should all be aware that in the future, all pharmacies will be forced by the gov't to stock EC, possibly including Catholic hospitals and pharmacies, because in some states (like CO) our representatives hate the Church so much they really don't care about a conscience exception.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2006 at 7:54am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Boycotts are not supposed to be easy. But then again, nor are they supposed to rip up a family. Again, you have to do what is right for you and your family.

Wal-mart's action was voluntary as a nationwide policy. There are currently 8 states that require stocking EC -- Wasington, Alaska, California, Hawaii, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and New Mexico. In other words, Wal-mart pharmacies must stock it in these states, but NOT in any of the others.

I guess this paragraph is what got me thinking of boycotting Wal-mart to begin with:

"Expanding access to contraception is the best way to prevent unintended pregnancies, and Planned Parenthood continues to work with pharmacies throughout the country to improve access," said Richards. "Women should never have to worry about being denied contraception, which is basic healthcare for many American women."

That quote is from PP's news release abut Wal-mart's announcement. They want EC'savailable, over-the-counter   (without a prescription) as a nationwide policy everywhere. Doesn't this scare you just a bit? Wal-mart's VOLUNTARY action worries me as it opens the floodgates. Easy availalbility of the original pill has led to a culture of death -- this just worsens the situation.       

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2006 at 7:55am | IP Logged Quote momwise

Alcat wrote:
Hi ladies,
My husband has ordered a boycott of Walmart awhile ago due to G.K.Chesterton    G.K., Belloc, and others promoted Distributism as an economic philosophy (here is a definition from wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributism

We shop almost exclusively at thrift stores now for our clothes and shoes. The exception is my 14 yo ds, who as you can imagine, can not find much for his size and tastes.

As much as I can I use the thrift store (BUDS) that trains local single mothers and homeless men for work. There is a thrift store for home improvement as well. And a friend just turned me on to freecycle.org, which I think is fantastic!

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2006 at 8:00am | IP Logged Quote momwise

Mary G. wrote:
Boycotts are not supposed to be easy. But then again, nor are they supposed to rip up a family.

They do give a very tangible example to our children though, of how we can remove our support from something immoral even though its hard.

Here's another thread about boycotts.

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2006 at 8:31am | IP Logged Quote momwise

Mary G. wrote:
Wal-mart's action was voluntary as a nationwide policy. There are currently 8 states that require stocking EC -- Wasington, Alaska, California, Hawaii, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and New Mexico. In other words, Wal-mart pharmacies must stock it in these states, but NOT in any of the others.

I should have specified that all pharmacies would be required to stock it in these states. Other states still have a chance to defeat these policies. My coffee's kickin' in

abcmommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2006 at 8:47am | IP Logged Quote abcmommy

I am sorry to argue with you, MaryG, but you are incorrect.

The morning after pill is the birth control pill.

Instead of taking one pill everyday as you would do with a normal scrip for the pill you would take a combo of pills. Perhaps 2-3 at a time and later in the day 2-3 more.

It is the same medication. It is the same action, in fact, as the pill.

I understand that people have strong opinions on this topic and I support their right to shop where they choose and to oppose both abortion and the morning after pill.

Back to Top View abcmommy's Profile Search for other posts by abcmommy

abcmommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2006 at 8:50am | IP Logged Quote abcmommy

Those of you who are boycotting walmart might want to check out Aldi.

Aldi is really cheap. we do a lot of shopping there for basics, like cheese, butter, yogurt and so on.

abcmommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2006 at 8:58am | IP Logged Quote abcmommy

Here is a link to a discussion of the Plan B pill that tells about how its been used for yrs...
http://www.healthology.com/webcast_transcript.asp?b=healthol ogy&f=contraception&c=contraception_emergency&spg=FIF

here's the quote that is of interest to MaryG and anyone else who is confused as to the chemical make up of the Plan B or Preven pills.

"The manufacturers of Preven have very nicely packaged it for us. Up until now, we've been having patients punch out the pills, out of their pack of birth control pills, and taking it that way. The manufacturers now put it into a small package, along with a pregnancy test and instructions, so it's easier to use. "

and

"The morning-after pill, once again, it's a birth control pill. It has estrogen and progestin in it, or at least, the ones that we commonly use. As Doctor Polaneczky mentioned, it's higher doses of estrogen than one would take in a regular pill, so you have to take several pills at a time, and then repeat it 12 hours later. But it has both components, although there are some formulations of morning-after pills that are just pure progestin-only pills, working in similar manners as well, but basically taking that concept of higher doses of the pill at one point in time. "

I dont want anyone to think I am defending the use of either contraceptives or the PlanB/ preven pill.

Just wanted to get the facts straight.

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2006 at 11:05am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

The more I think about all this the more disturbing it is. The fact that it is made of the same stuff as the "pill" actually makes it worse. This is my thinking...
I know a lady who is a "good Catholic". She is very pro-life and would never consider having an abortion. She has confided in me though that she uses the pill. (This is not something I agree with, I believe the Catholic church that contraception is wrong.) Anyway, for whatever reason, she thinks it is okay and disagrees with me that it is a form of abortion. SO, what's to stop her from using the "morning after pill"? I can just hear someone explain to her that it is basically the same. Then there are the young people who are "pro-life" but perhaps not Catholic and have never been taught that the pill is wrong. What's to stop them from using it. It's all too easy. Sorry if this is getting to controversial, but I can certainly see Satan's hand in this one. What deception!
Becky
Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

theNetSmith
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Posted: March 29 2006 at 11:15am | IP Logged Quote theNetSmith

abcmommy wrote:
I cant see why I should boycott walmart for selling birth control. if I went with that theory I'd be hard pressed to find somewhere to buy my kids medicines, since most drugstores sell the pill.

this is a valid point.

and i think that we should not lose sight of the fact that Wal-Mart stood up against this from the start. i have trouble believing that they would go from fighting it tooth-and-nail to saying, "if we are required by law to sell this in one (or more) states where we do business, then we might as well make it company policy to sell it in all."

is this really what happened?

i'm really not trying to provoke anyone here -- Janette and i are mindful of where our money goes, too. but sometimes, you are forced to find the balance between being a good steward of your money and being a good caretaker of your family. i do not think Wal-Mart can be blamed. the day may come when every pharmacy everywhere is required to sell EC. if so, will you stop fulfilling prescriptions for your children completely?

just my $.02.

-T
Back to Top View theNetSmith's Profile Search for other posts by theNetSmith Visit theNetSmith's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2006 at 11:43am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

abcmommy wrote:
I cant see why I should boycott walmart for selling birth control. if I went with that theory I'd be hard pressed to find somewhere to buy my kids medicines, since most drugstores sell the pill.

thenetsmith wrote:

and i think that we should not lose sight of the fact that Wal-Mart stood up against this from the start. i have trouble believing that they would go from fighting it tooth-and-nail to saying, "if we are required by law to sell this in one (or more) states where we do business, then we might as well make it company policy to sell it in all."

-T

ABCMommy, I'm not saying YOU should boycott Wal-mart -- I'm saying I am because I don't like this increasing acceptance of "easy access" contraception. If in fact, EC is "just the pill" than why does it need separate scrip and separate legislation? Is taking a higher dose of something that has been established as detrimental both to the potential life being conceived AND the mother a worse thing? I think so.

Tim -- I was quoting from Planned Parenthood's own press release that this is Walmart's new national policy, after a court in Massachusetts last November told them they had to offer it in their pharmacies in Massachusetts.

I REALLY didn't mean to cause this much of a controversy. Everyone needs to do what they think is right.

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2006 at 11:56am | IP Logged Quote Lissa

No, Mary, I think it's great that you raised the question! This conversation hasn't struck me as a controversy at all--there are reasonable arguments on both sides, and I think it's really good to have the dialogue.

My family has been boycotting Walmart and Sam's for a couple of years because of their business practices. (Sounds like Scott & Alcat's hubby are right in synch on this.) If we weren't already doing it, I don't know WHAT we'd decide now based on the issue you brought to our attention. It's a valid point that pretty much every pharmacy in the country already stocks birth control pills.

However, as you point out, Walmart's decision to stock the morning after pill nationwide now that they've been forced to do so in Massachusetts does suggest a kind of throwing-in-the-towel that will probably affect the decisions of other large corporations in the future. For that reason, I would probably decide to boycott them now if I weren't doing so already.

In any event, discussions of this sort are edifying. They get us thinking. In a group as big as this, there are bound to be different points of view. I like hearing all of them. Thanks for getting the ball rolling, Mary!

theNetSmith
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Posted: March 29 2006 at 11:57am | IP Logged Quote theNetSmith

ugh...i should have researched BEFORE i made the assumption that Wal-Mart wouldn't have rolled over so easily...

from Wal-Mart News:

Quote:
Bentonville, Ark. (March 3, 2006)—Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. today confirmed that all of its pharmacies will begin carrying Plan B contraceptives, effective March 20. The company is currently required to sell the product in Illinois and Massachusetts, and pressure to introduce similar mandates is building in Connecticut and New York.

“We expect more states to require us to sell emergency contraceptives in the months ahead,” said Ron Chomiuk, vice president of Pharmacy for Wal-Mart. “Because of this, and the fact that this is an FDA-approved product, we feel it is difficult to justify being the country’s only major pharmacy chain not selling it.”

Chomiuk said the company will maintain its conscientious objection policy, which is consistent with the tenets of the American Pharmaceutical Association. This policy, except where prohibited by law, allows any Wal-Mart or SAM'S CLUB pharmacy associate who does not feel comfortable dispensing a prescription to refer customers to another pharmacist or pharmacy.

“This decision has been made after careful consideration and in the belief that we are doing what is best for the business, while respecting our individual associates,” Chomiuk said.

at least their pharmacists can still invoke the conscientious objection policy...

-T
Back to Top View theNetSmith's Profile Search for other posts by theNetSmith Visit theNetSmith's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2006 at 12:03pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I'm curious if abortion/sexual issues tend to be a tipping point for you (as in all of you here) with choosing whom to boycott.

For me, it seems like the labor conditions in Walmarts, childlabor problems, and sweatshop conditions overseas that have made the news over and over again through the years were enough to choose not to shop there when I had other options. I absolutely believe in pro-life issues and think they are good reasons to choose how my money is spent. But I also think that the people who are the current victims should move us as much as the women and children who are the potential victims of these drugs.

I won't say I'm well educated about labor conditions or policies of different countries and corporations. I just saw enough in the daily news about problems with Walmart to make me choose not to go there if I had the option.   

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: March 29 2006 at 12:11pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Point of information: Mary was talking about RU-486 Mifeprex (mifepristone) and abcmommy is talking about Plan B--which she has described above. They are not the same thing.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 29 2006 at 12:49pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

More thoughts on boycotts.

Thanks for giving my mushy brain something to chew on this morning.

Love

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version