Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: NoVa? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 09 2006 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

SaraP wrote:
Oh yes, you're right, Jen. I wonder why the name VanderWoude rang that bell . . .

My sister is Elizabeth Fox (now Elizabeth Hauris married to Jon Hauris who is Seton class of 1999) and she graduated from Seton in 2000.

Well, we know the Hauris family...

I think VanderWoude would also ring a bell because the oldest is a priest in the diocese, Father Thomas VW. He's in Colonial Beach now. The VWs were the super basketball stars of Seton.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

KristinaP
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 09 2006 at 1:11pm | IP Logged Quote KristinaP

Jenn, I just saw your picture here and I can't believe how much you look like your mom!! Talk about spitting image! Do you have any idea what Paul Brock is up to? I don't think I've been out to Seton since the last time I actually saw you there. Its been a while.
Back to Top View KristinaP's Profile Search for other posts by KristinaP

SaraP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 09 2006 at 1:17pm | IP Logged Quote SaraP

Quote:
Does Catherine Gerken ring a bell?

It certainly does!

I don't think we belonged to a pool in Kings Park West because we were only there for one summer before we moved to Annadale, but what a small world!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 09 2006 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

KristinaP wrote:
Jenn, I just saw your picture here and I can't believe how much you look like your mom!! Talk about spitting image! Do you have any idea what Paul Brock is up to? I don't think I've been out to Seton since the last time I actually saw you there. Its been a while.

I guess I'll take that as a compliment! I always thought my mother was beautiful. Some of my other sisters look even more like her, if that's possible!

Paul is father of 4 girls and lives out Nokesville way. He is manager of a Chick-Fil-A...somewhere in MD. Gives him more time to be "Daddy." If you want to email him, PM me and I'll give his email address.

I don't do much with Seton anymore, either. It's been a long time since I visited. It's just I hear more because many of the the families are nearby.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

KristinaP
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 09 2006 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote KristinaP

Oh yes, Of course it was a compliment!! I agree, your mom is a beautiful lady! I was just really impressed with how much you look like her! I wonder if people ever ask if you're sisters!

Wow,poor Paul- that's a major commute going from Nokesville to MD.    

esperanza
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 10 2006 at 6:44am | IP Logged Quote esperanza

JennGM wrote:

Which parish do you attend?

We stayed with Our Lady of Angels in Woodbridge at first...then, transferred to Holy Trinity...it was nice to see Fr. Peffley, again. My dc had a really difficult time transitioning to Mass in a high school...so right before Christmas we went back to Our Lady of Angels. The dc are more reverent and pay attention and my poor dh..aka 2yo shadow..can still hear mass. Dh was wanting us to go to separate masses at Holy Trinity...and of course we can visit with long time friends after Mass.

Tammy Gonzalez in VA
dh-Johnny
mom to Tara-'85, Noelle-'88, Jeremy-'91, Elizabeth-'93, Emma-'96, Dominic-'99, Gabriel-'01, Elijah-03
and Jacinta-06
Back to Top View esperanza's Profile Search for other posts by esperanza

KristinaP
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 10 2006 at 9:25am | IP Logged Quote KristinaP

Elizabeth wrote:
Jane Anne's big sister Michelle was a sorority sister of mine in college. And I dated Chuck briefly .

So, was that while he was roommates with Ralph Sampson? Boy, was that big news on our street then.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 15 2006 at 3:15pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

JennGM wrote:
MaryM wrote:
I know this is the NoVA thread.. but speaking of the Pennefathers... before they moved to Virginia and became a legendary family at Seton they had connections to Denver. One of their daughters, Shelly, the star basketball player who left it all to become a cloistered nun, played basketball for the high school where my sons currently go to school. She is still quite a legend there. Her story is pretty amazing.

Yes, Shelley was amazing...she is now in Alexandria, VA, so there's your reconnection. But the Pennefathers were in Denver for a long time. Col. P was out there with his kids playing hoops, coaching...really fostering the basketball skills.

Edited to say: I mean in Denver Col. P really fostered the basketball skills.

Just got my latest issue of Faith and Family magazine and there is a short write-up of Shelly. "From Court to Convent" by Joseph Pronechen.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 15 2006 at 3:18pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

JennGM wrote:
MaryM wrote:
I know this is the NoVA thread.. but speaking of the Pennefathers... before they moved to Virginia and became a legendary family at Seton they had connections to Denver. One of their daughters, Shelly, the star basketball player who left it all to become a cloistered nun, played basketball for the high school where my sons currently go to school. She is still quite a legend there. Her story is pretty amazing.

Yes, Shelley was amazing...she is now in Alexandria, VA, so there's your reconnection. But the Pennefathers were in Denver for a long time. Col. P was out there with his kids playing hoops, coaching...really fostering the basketball skills.

Edited to say: I mean in Denver Col. P really fostered the basketball skills.

Just got my latest issue of Faith and Family magazine and there is a short write-up of Shelly. "From Court to Convent" by Joseph Pronechen.

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 16 2006 at 4:28am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

Okay, I had to jump in. Sorry I don't know how to quote more than once, so I'll just sum up.

Kristina, did you go to Laurel Ridge? I lived on Coleridge--further down Commonwealth, but I went to Laurel Ridge from 2nd to 6th before moving over to Robinson?

Also, my sister was at UVA at the same time as Ralph Sampson. I'll never forget visiting her and finding myself walking next to him--I came up to about his knee . And at their graduation, it was raining and he was carrying this huge blue and orange umbrella over the crowd--it was great, and I'll obviously never forget it!

I cracked up when you and SaraP were talking about which pool you went to--wasn't that the defining factor of King's Park West summers? We went to Commonwealth. Oh, the swim team competitions...

Elizabeth, Jane Anne Heaton was in my class at Robinson. Yup, big cheerleader. Small world...

Used to be I could drive down Commonwealth from Sideburn to Guinea/Twinbrook and know half the people! That was a great neighborhood to grow up in.

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 16 2006 at 5:54am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

KristinaP wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:
Jane Anne's big sister Michelle was a sorority sister of mine in college. And I dated Chuck briefly .

So, was that while he was roommates with Ralph Sampson? Boy, was that big news on our street then.

When I knew him, he was a transfer from Georgia Tech and so the only student housing he could get was in the nursing dorms. He shared the apartment with a couple of other guys, none of whom was over six feet tall . Perhaps he went back for grad school and so did Ralph? I don't know. Ralph graduated before I got there...

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

KristinaP
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 16 2006 at 6:38am | IP Logged Quote KristinaP

Molly, yeah I did go to Laurel Ridge- just for sixth grade though. We had just moved up from Georgia and couldn't get into St. Leo's b/c of the late move so I was put on the waiting list. Whose class were you in? If you were in Miss Berenbeck/Mrs. Rock's class, I'm going to laugh b/c that's whose class I was in. My maiden name is Gerken.

Elizabeth, I didn't know the rest of Chuck's story-I completely forgot that he transferred from Ga. Small world!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version