Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: NoVa? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 29 2006 at 6:19pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Well, I'll root for the Patriots right up until they play my Bruins!!!   

I've grown more partial to NoVA as I've gotten familiar with the area...but I'm not planning to move there. The taxes will kill us.

Of course, dh wants to move to Italy and now he has learned that if I can prove his great-grandfather was born in Italy, he can claim citizenship there (no visas to work, in other words). This is a big job...I have to prove everyone's births and marriages...!!!

I don't mean to hijack the thread, though. Just throwing in an 8-clap for my alma mater!   

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2006 at 7:50pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Great article, Elizabeth (as usual). I have been talking about the very same characteristics of the coach to anyone who will listen for the last 2 weeks

(I'm thinking that all this Patriots hoopla is going to make it impossible to score free (or any?) tickets to the homecoming game next year -- it's been our family tradition for the last 4 or so years.)

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2006 at 7:57pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

teachingmyown wrote:
Irene,
There is a house for sale on our street!! Come on down! Your husband would have about a 20 minute commute, all back country roads. It is a beautiful neighborhood, with at least 3 acres per lot.

I am serious, think about it.

Sorry Molly but my dd would be heartbroken if Irene and her lovely girls left the neighborhood. For that matter so would my ds6.

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: March 29 2006 at 11:24pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

teachingmyown wrote:
Irene,
There is a house for sale on our street!! Come on down! Your husband would have about a 20 minute commute, all back country roads. It is a beautiful neighborhood, with at least 3 acres per lot.

I am serious, think about it.

It's tempting, Molly . . . but

marychris wrote:
Sorry Molly but my dd would be heartbroken if Irene and her lovely girls left the neighborhood. For that matter so would my ds6.

You see?! It's really hard to think of ever leaving our ties here in South Riding.

But, like Elizabeth, I do worry about my girls being able to afford living here when they are grown.

Dh and I had another conversation about this tonight. (I was filling him in on this thread.) He asked what I would think if a great job opportunity came up in a cheaper area of the country. I said that I'd be concerned about moving more than a few hours away from my parents as they get older. He agreed right away and feels strongly that we should be there for them. (Right now they are very independent and healthy--all the benefits of living close to them are on our side! ) To be honest, when they get really old, I wouldn't really like to be more than the half hour away that we live now.

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: March 30 2006 at 4:50am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I can't imagine how difficult it would have been for all of us if we'd been living far away last fall when dh's brother died. His parents are in their eighties and Mike really did have to step in and take care of them. It was our first glimpse into complete role reversal. I'm praying hard we can find something here that takes him off the road, because the current job situation is truly unbearable and if the only way to stop traveling is to move, we'll have to move .

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2006 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote insegnante

We're in Fairfax County. [edited because I suddenly became a little more concerned with privacy!]
Back to Top View insegnante's Profile Search for other posts by insegnante

SaraP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2006 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote SaraP

I grew up in Fairfax county (Annadale) and yes, there was a cow farm up the street from us when I was in grade school. My DH and I both attended Thomas Jefferson HS in Alexandria, I lived in Alexandria and DH lived in Reston when met the year after I graduated from college (GU) and most of our families are still there.

And I know of the VanderWoude's through my sister who went to Seton in Manassas where at Colonel and Mr. (and maybe Miss as well?) taught/teach.

BUT . . . because of the cost of living when we married we moved to Annapolis and then last year we moved up north of Baltimore.

I don't miss the beltway at all, but moving out of the Diocese of Arlington made me sad (although it seems to changing anyway ).

We've struggled with the distance from family also and our solution has been to buy a large property with two houses with the intention of parents (and possibly a few siblings) moving up here, too as they retire. We've joked for years in my family about establishing a family compound and now we've actually gone and done it!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 08 2006 at 4:35pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

SaraP wrote:
And I know of the VanderWoude's through my sister who went to Seton in Manassas where at Colonel and Mr. (and maybe Miss as well?) taught/teach.

I think you mean Pennefather for teachers...Miss, Mr. and Colonel...but Mr. VanderWoude coached the boys basketball and now his son Dan teaches and is coach...but the VWs are 6 boys.

What year did your sister graduate? What is her name? Our family was pretty active in Seton...we probably know her.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 08 2006 at 6:55pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:
I think you mean Pennafather for teachers...Miss, Mr. and Colonel...

I know this is the NoVA thread.. but speaking of the Pennefathers... before they moved to Virginia and became a legendary family at Seton they had connections to Denver. One of their daughters, Shelly, the star basketball player who left it all to become a cloistered nun, played basketball for the high school where my sons currently go to school. She is still quite a legend there. Her story is pretty amazing.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 08 2006 at 7:06pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
I know this is the NoVA thread.. but speaking of the Pennefathers... before they moved to Virginia and became a legendary family at Seton they had connections to Denver. One of their daughters, Shelly, the star basketball player who left it all to become a cloistered nun, played basketball for the high school where my sons currently go to school. She is still quite a legend there. Her story is pretty amazing.

Yes, Shelley was amazing...she is now in Alexandria, VA, so there's your reconnection. But the Pennefathers were in Denver for a long time. Col. P was out there with his kids playing hoops, coaching...really fostering the basketball skills.

Edited to say: I mean in Denver Col. P really fostered the basketball skills.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

KristinaP
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 08 2006 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote KristinaP

My dad was in the military so we moved to Fairfax (lived in Kings Park West) in 1980 and I totally remember that Braddock Rd/123 intersection being a stop sign!! Boy, have things changed and where Roberts Rd cuts through just past Robinson is where we used to hang out and catch salamanders (Yuck, what was I thinking?!) Even then, Fairfax was considered the boonies and even now I still have a hard time considering Manassas as being part of NoVA.

I went to Paul VI for 3 years when it first opened then graduated from Seton. The trip from Fairfax to Manassas in the morning was only 20 mins and going down Union Mill was a total breeze b/c there was nothing at all, except the very beginning of Little Rocky Run. My mom now lives in Fairfax Station and my husband and I live in Burke also.

What a fun thread...sure brings back memories!
Back to Top View KristinaP's Profile Search for other posts by KristinaP

esperanza
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2006 at 9:39pm | IP Logged Quote esperanza

I was born in Front Royal and moved to Prince William County when I was 5. My brother now lives in Loudon Cty and my parents and sister live in Stafford Cnty. Its nice having my family close.
I saw the VanderWoude's name
We bought our current home from Erin and Steve...I met Erin through her sister. My oldest attended Seton for 1 yr and a quarter.
My dh family is in Miami....fun for a visit...but I love VA!

Tammy Gonzalez in VA
dh-Johnny
mom to Tara-'85, Noelle-'88, Jeremy-'91, Elizabeth-'93, Emma-'96, Dominic-'99, Gabriel-'01, Elijah-03
and Jacinta-06
Back to Top View esperanza's Profile Search for other posts by esperanza

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 09 2006 at 7:04am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

esperanza wrote:
We bought our current home from Erin and Steve...I met Erin through her sister. My oldest attended Seton for 1 yr and a quarter.
My dh family is in Miami....fun for a visit...but I love VA!

Tammy! That house used to belong to my aunt's family (8 kids) before THEY sold it to Erin and Steve. You now live in the same subdivision as my parents!

esperanza
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 09 2006 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote esperanza

Jenn,

Is that the Brock family?

We love the neighborhood..its perfect for us

Tammy Gonzalez in VA
dh-Johnny
mom to Tara-'85, Noelle-'88, Jeremy-'91, Elizabeth-'93, Emma-'96, Dominic-'99, Gabriel-'01, Elijah-03
and Jacinta-06
Back to Top View esperanza's Profile Search for other posts by esperanza

SaraP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 09 2006 at 8:45am | IP Logged Quote SaraP

JenGM wrote:
Quote:
SaraP wrote:

I think you mean Pennefather for teachers...Miss, Mr. and Colonel...but Mr. VanderWoude coached the boys basketball and now his son Dan teaches and is coach...but the VWs are 6 boys.

Oh yes, you're right, Jen. I wonder why the name VanderWoude rang that bell . . .

My sister is Elizabeth Fox (now Elizabeth Hauris married to Jon Hauris who is Seton class of 1999) and she graduated from Seton in 2000.

Kristina-
I lived on Thackery Ct in Kings Park West from '81-'82. I wonder if we ever crossed paths!

KristinaP
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 09 2006 at 8:48am | IP Logged Quote KristinaP

Ha, could very well be! I lived on Dundalk St., down the hill from Laurel Ridge but my sister and your sister are very good friends! Does Catherine Gerken ring a bell? What pool did you go to? Maybe we crossed paths there? We went to LakeView.

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 09 2006 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

KristinaP wrote:
Ha, could very well be! I lived on Dundalk St., down the hill from Laurel Ridge but my sister and your sister are very good friends! Does Catherine Gerken ring a bell? What pool did you go to? Maybe we crossed paths there? We went to LakeView.

Okay, I'll play! Dundalk Street? Did you know the Heaton family?

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)

KristinaP
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 09 2006 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote KristinaP

Jane Anne Heaton??! and I think her brother was Chuck? Man, that was a long time ago. Jane Anne was big into cheerleading at the time. They lived 4 or 5 houses down from us! How do you know them? Wow, talk about a small world!

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 09 2006 at 10:24am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Jane Anne's big sister Michelle was a sorority sister of mine in college. And I dated Chuck briefly .

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 09 2006 at 12:32pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

esperanza wrote:
Is that the Brock family?

We love the neighborhood..its perfect for us

Yes, the Brocks. Mrs. Brock is my mother's older sister. They moved to Front Royal...

My mother moved into that neighborhood to be close to her sister. We used to walk through the woods to get to our cousins.

Which parish do you attend?

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version