Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: The Kitchen Sink Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 28 2006 at 6:03pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

The house was built in 1932. Don's family moved here when he was 6 (1966). they last renovated in 1970-something. We moved in when his parents died in 97-98, and it really needed updating. Several years later (could not do it with a toddler), I encounter this shocker --Don is not the fix it up type! I am, so this is my project. Thank God for Trip!

We began in earnest last spring, and it is going soooo slowly. But when it's done, it'll be great, right?

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2006 at 6:23am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

MacBeth wrote:

We began in earnest last spring, and it is going soooo slowly. But when it's done, it'll be great, right?

Oh Macbeth -- this sounds sooooo cool. I would love to do a prohject like this and my DH is a fix-it-up guy altho he prefers to sit and read theology and philosophy.....maybe when we get back from Austria we can buy one and od the same.....

So it's hardwood floors, thick solid walls....that's the kind we live in now. A 1944 bungalow that was re-done when we moved in... no carpet except ustairs where they turned the attic into a master suite; walls so thick and solid you have to use masonry nails to put up pictures; it's wonderful....

I'm so sad becuase here int he south many of hte old homes (plantations and smaller) are being torn down to put in way too-expensive houes that imitate what was torn down.....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2006 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote Sarah

MacBeth wrote:

The dedicated veggie sink is just a personal preference

And a good idea, too! I thought more about it last night . . .

Can't wait to see the pics. Its sooo fun to see where people live.

The kitchen will be great when finished.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 31 2006 at 1:25pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Chiming in late here, but I just visited you pics...

I would definitely go stainless steel. My parents had a double stainless steel sink put in there house in 1963. When they totally remodeled their kitchen in 1997, the SINK was the ONLY thing that stayed. It was still perfect after 34 years and 6 kids. On the the other hand, the white sink that I picked out a couple of years ago is chipped already (note: it wasn't the most expensive, but we aren't all that tough on it.)

The other thing that I want to mention is the layout of the faucet on the two-basin model. My mom taught me this one: Get a sink that has the entire faucet component on one side instead of in the middle. Then the other basin gets to be bigger (go further back). See this link for an example.
You wouldn't think that extra couple of inches would make a difference, but it does (that's why so many sinks have a little bump out in the corner to accomodate pot handles but this is way better.)

Please keep posting those pictures -- it's fun too see them.

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 31 2006 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

MacBeth wrote:
The dedicated veggie sink is just a personal preference

My friend here has one of those little veggie sink things, and I had no clue what it was for. Nannied there for over a month and never figured it out. I hope your kids are smarter that I am! (Actually, from what I've read, they are.)

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version