Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Man Cave Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 01 2010 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I want to give my dh a man cave for Christmas .

Right now he has a desk in our shared study. He has tools and the like in a shared garage. He has weights and exercise stuff in a shared extra bedroom. He has his clothes, etc. in a shared bedroom with me. He has toiletries in a shared bathroom with our boys. Notice the word *shared*.

Do any of your dhs have a man cave, a designated place for just them (and their male friends) and their happy stuff?

I think that the best man cave option we have is to clear out one half of our attached garage (gulp) and designate it.

Looking at some of the man caves in my neighborhood...they tend to include:

A recliner.
A big TV.
A card table and chairs.
A bar.
A radio/cd player.
A neon sign.
A refrigerator.
Posters.

Can a woman put together a man cave...or does that miss the point entirely .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

SusanMc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 01 2010 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote SusanMc

What a sweet idea! I'd think no matter what you do it will be appreciated.
Back to Top View SusanMc's Profile Search for other posts by SusanMc

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 01 2010 at 11:19am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Would your dh use it? (my BIL doesn't seem to)
What would he use it for? That will make a big difference to what you put in it. Like if he wants a place to sit with his buddys and play cards.. then a card table and chairs would be more use than a recliner. Does he seem to try and find a quiet corner to listen to something on the tv or radio.. then those would be good to include.. does he want to read? then a bookcase with his favorite books and a recliner would be nice. And I would think about any space a small fridge would be welcome for something to drink or snack on that's right there handy.

What does he use the rest of the garage for now? because if he's out there using a saw and kicking up sawdust.. then some other things might not be a good idea.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 01 2010 at 11:43am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Good questions! Yes, he definitely appreciates space to himself. Because of his back injury, he has lost the freedom to cycle and run . He would use it to have privacy to refuel. He refuels by watching sports and movies. No reading on non-work hours!

He would also use it to be with his growing men (our sons!) and they like to play card games and ping pong. He also has several friends nearby who could use a meeting space.

The rest of the garage is for family storage    . I need to go read that topic on purging your home during Advent!

thanks for helping me to brainstorm!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 01 2010 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Our basement "family room" is sort of the "man cave." Even though he hardly ever spends time in there except when we're watching movies ...it's a place for his stuff to be displayed and kept.... and it has naughty-pine all over, so it's naturally "manly" and "cabin-like"...We actually call the room "The Cowboy Room"

There is....
::TV, recliner, blankets
::All his western-books/novels are lined up visibly on a shelf.
::Climbing and Outdoor pictures are hung up (the same ones he had on his wall when I met him....since he hasn't really done anything "new" since he met me )
::Bobblehead collection
::Baseball stuff
::A lifesize poster of John Wayne greets you as you enter
::Abraham Lincoln pics
::Outdoor silhouette lamps
::Shotgun-shell string of lights (Christmas present from me one year)
::A beer poster
::Political Pin Collection Board
::Knick knacks that drive me batty
::Walking sticks, fishing nets hung on wall
::And, let's not forget about the deer antlers and other various animal-skulls with poetry attached to them

Now, of course, there are children's picture books, dress up clothes, bins of shape-toys and dolls down there too. But, it has a "manly-look" and he likes having a place for displaying his stuff.

And, yes, I do think a woman can put together a man-cave....to a certain extent. You are providing the space and the ideas.....he makes decisions....and then the set-up is done by either you, him or a combination of both!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 01 2010 at 2:13pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Great idea, my dh has his shed, which is his area to retreat with his tools and projects. He gets most annoyed when the boys have projects up there and don't clean up.

Just the other day he was making noises how he has no space of his own around his computer (shared study), you've re-inspired me to do something about that. Obviously there is some sort of need for men to have some area to retreat and regroup to. The above list of neighbourhood caves, is that the sort of 'furniture' you think your dh would like? Or would his taste run to something else?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 01 2010 at 5:55pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Suzanne, I'm so happy to hear that your man and dad to many girls has a Man Cave! And thanks for the specifics. I love it!

Aiden and Ian are going to help me pull this off. Now, I need for it to not turn into a TEEN Man Cave .

I'm off to look for a beer poster.

Love,

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 01 2010 at 6:17pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Angie Mc wrote:

Angie
I'm having a giggle to myself here, why a beer poster? Some men have pinups, why don't you display a glamour shot of you Marilyn Monroe move over for Angie Mc!!

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 01 2010 at 6:50pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Angie Mc wrote:
Now, I need for it to not turn into a TEEN Man Cave .

Quote:

Up until 5 years ago, I could've sent about 30 of them to you!

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 01 2010 at 6:57pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

And, I thought of something else......you can find things of your husband's that are kept in storage or "in common areas"...and BRING THEM TO THE MAN-CAVE.

:: Photo albums are probably kept in a single area of the house.....bring one or two of your husband's to the man-cave.

:: Does he have a favorite GAME? Pull it out from the game-cabinet and it goes in the man-cave. We keep Trivia Pursuit in "The Cowboy Room." It's Daddy's favorite game.   

:: His favorite movies
:: His favorite books
:: Anything the kids have made for him over the years that he's kept?
:: Things he's inherited from family members

Bring a few of these things either out from storage or out of "family areas" and they go in his new area.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 01 2010 at 6:57pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

SuzanneG wrote:
and it has naughty-pine all over, so it's naturally "manly" and "cabin-like"...

I'm not making fun, really, but I'm giggling a good bit over the "naughty" pine and its making the room more "manly." I can imagine that many woman decorators would certainly call it that complete with a wagging finger.

(Just a few weeks ago on another board, I actually referenced a "rubrics" cube so I'm right there with you )

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 01 2010 at 7:21pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

CrunchyMom wrote:

I'm not making fun, really, but I'm giggling a good bit over the "naughty" pine and its making the room more "manly." I can imagine that many woman decorators would certainly call it that complete with a wagging finger.

I know.....we always write it like that (and say it with a funny-face too) b/c it's especially funny in this case!

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 03 2010 at 7:59pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

we're having a blast with this! we're doing a movie and music themish thing. I'm finding movie poster on amazon and we purchased a dart board and space heater at Costco yesterday.

Will you all pray that we can find a recliner - maybe used - at a reasonable price?

we're also going through the house and attic, finding ways to make meaningful collections...like drink cups from ball parks.

we plan to get a world map, too, to put pins into locations he has visited.

Keep the ideas, support, and good humor coming, please!

love,

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 03 2010 at 8:29pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Angie Mc wrote:
we plan to get a world map, too, to put pins into locations he has visited.

Love this!!!!!!! Great idea!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 03 2010 at 11:07pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Angie

This sounds like so much fun Being really nosy, I want to know how you are pulling it off without him knowing? Has he not been out to the garage?

Angi
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2010 at 7:25am | IP Logged Quote Angi

One thing I would recommend is a locking door.
My hubby has a spaces that will become a man room in the next few years (part of a 3+ car garage), and a locking door is his main request - he is scared of 4 girls who will be experiencing puberty at basically the same time.
Back to Top View Angi's Profile Search for other posts by Angi

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2010 at 8:03am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

Angi wrote:
One thing I would recommend is a locking door.
My hubby has a spaces that will become a man room in the next few years (part of a 3+ car garage), and a locking door is his main request - he is scared of 4 girls who will be experiencing puberty at basically the same time.

I second this. My dh actually gave me a "studio" this summer, which is part of our walk in attic. It is rustic at best, with no temperature regulation, but I love it so much. The best part is that I can leave a project in progress on the table and it will be exactly the same when I return! :)
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 07 2010 at 7:49pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Erin wrote:
Angie

This sounds like so much fun Being really nosy, I want to know how you are pulling it off without him knowing? Has he not been out to the garage?

Ummm, ya, that's a bit of a problem that we haven't actually solved yet . We're leaning toward something like, the week before Christmas we ask Dave NOT to use the garage because the boys are "making something"...Christmas secrets... for him. He doesn't park in the garage (his truck doesn't fit) so we should be able to just have him come through the front door and I'll take his garage door opener from him.

As for having a space to lock, that's an awesome idea but will need to wait until another child leaves the house, and his room, for such a purpose .

Gotta share this find, Rocky Neon Clock just dropped today to $20.00! How awesomely man cave-ish is that?!

Love,

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 13 2010 at 1:18pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Did you know there are MAN CAVE websites????? This is a whole industry! I had no idea!

:: The Man-Cave Store
:: The Official Man Cave Site
:: DIY Network Man Cave
:: ManCave Worldwide
:: And, there is even an Man Cave Outlet Store
:: Not to mention a Man-Cave FORUM!

Images for Man Cave

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 13 2010 at 8:54pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

SuzanneG wrote:
Did you know there are MAN CAVE websites????? This is a whole industry! I had no idea!

The first time I heard the term "man cave" it came from the contractor we work with to do any big jobs here at the house. He is a man's man in a big loud way and he deemed that EVERY MAN NEEDS A MAN CAVE...and proceeded to tell us how he could produce one for us for a fair price .

I HAD run across several of your links in my search, but you unearthed a few I missed. Here in my town, the garage seems to be the place of choice for the man cave...and they are definitely modest so I really dig the idea of using a cooler for a foot stool via the Images link .

Love,

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version