Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Advent Purge for the house Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 02 2010 at 8:48am | IP Logged Quote amyable

How did I miss this thread on my favorite topic?? That Active Topics button is just a tease.

Praying for all of you (us) as we purge!

I have a charity truck coming next week so I need to get on with it. Not sure where to start this time, as the whole house just looks like one big "hot spot". We just had two birthdays, so there is probably older kid stuff that can go...

to all your successes so far!

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2010 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

We purge each Advent and Lent as well. It's not coming along as well this Advent as I'd hoped (I really wanted to be done before Advent started, actually! Haha! I had an adverse reaction to the TINY amount of high fructose corn syrup in our otherwise homemade stuffing and was down for several days with my usual HFCS symptoms (before realizing we'd used the wrong kind of bread!)

Back to the topic though - my goal this Advent is to get all closets purged - packing/shipping boxes and a few items for storage are fine (1 box of my school papers; the whole 2 boxes of holiday decor we have; 1 box of baby memories; that's about it) - everything else has to go.

I've already come SO far but now I'm in a different mental place. Where before I looked at "I have 3 copies of this book, let's get rid of 2 of them" - now I'm at "what do we need in this home? Oh, this book didn't make the cut, it's GONE."

Just changing the question from "do I need this/will I use this?" to "what do we need?" creates an entire flow to the process. It feels less like letting go of stuff and more like embracing our true household needs - much easier to pass it on to someone else.

I appreciate the reminder about the cookbooks. I started that purge already, but now I need to find a good home for the ones I don't need anymore.

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 02 2010 at 9:55am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Here's my "big" dilemma. I've been culling my books. I know I could donate them in several places, but I like to donate a big bunch for my parish's booksale in April. So what to do with them in the meantime? I guess I can make a place...but it would feel better to have them OUTTA here.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 04 2010 at 11:36am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

JennGM wrote:
Here's my "big" dilemma. I've been culling my books. I know I could donate them in several places, but I like to donate a big bunch for my parish's booksale in April. So what to do with them in the meantime? I guess I can make a place...but it would feel better to have them OUTTA here.

Jenn- could your parish store them?

Another thing I often do is store things like that at a friend's house or my mom's house. That sounds strange, but that way it is gone from *me*, and the storage person has no attachment to the items and moves them on to wherever at the appointed time.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 04 2010 at 11:37am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

OK-

Anyone want to delve into the freezer with me today?
As well as clearing out some space, you might find lunch or dinner in there...

JaysFamily
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 04 2010 at 12:12pm | IP Logged Quote JaysFamily

SeaStar wrote:
OK-

Anyone want to delve into the freezer with me today?
As well as clearing out some space, you might find lunch or dinner in there...

This is what I'm doing in two weeks. Aside from reorganizing my kitchen, it's my most dreaded task! I'm looking forward to cleaning out some closets and the bookshelves this week! Next week, we'll purge toys and electronics.

Jaysfamily
wife to Jay
mother to DS(5)
Back to Top View JaysFamily's Profile Search for other posts by JaysFamily

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 5:45pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I took another load this week! So gratifying! I'll have to resume after Christmas, but even that will be good. There are definitely some decorations that I can purge.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 6:27am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I tackled my closet this week and moved out a lot of stuff...yay!

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 8:01am | IP Logged Quote amyable

JennGM wrote:
I took another load this week! So gratifying! I'll have to resume after Christmas, but even that will be good. There are definitely some decorations that I can purge.

SeaStar wrote:
I tackled my closet this week and moved out a lot of stuff...yay!

Very slow but steady here... no area in particular but I'm looking all over with a critical eye and finding a few things.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

KauaiCatholic
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote KauaiCatholic

it's still advent, right? so I can start this (ahem) today?

in addition to all the seasonal reasons, which are awesome and admirable and I fully intend to start them next year we will have 6 weeks of guests starting right after Christmas and the guest room is the school room, so I really need to get cracking. OK, starting ... NOW!

thanks for all the inspiration!

Back to Top View KauaiCatholic's Profile Search for other posts by KauaiCatholic

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version