Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Poll of the Week: It's Pie Time! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Poll Question: What kind of pie do you enjoy most on Thanksgiving?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [28.00%]
8 [16.00%]
11 [22.00%]
3 [6.00%]
4 [8.00%]
1 [2.00%]
1 [2.00%]
8 [16.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 24 2010 at 7:33am | IP Logged  

I just voted, Mary! I am a major pumpkin lover!!!!    Alas, only one of my boy's has inherited the pumpkin gene.

I do think it has to do with what one has grown up eating. My family was all about pumpkin. Dh's family never had pumpkin pie, ever! Only apple was served in their home. (And don't get me started on their beef/pork stuffing! How sacrilegious! They simply didn't know you have to have cornbread dressing!)

I guess I'm a diehard traditionalist!

In Christ,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

VanessaVH
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 24 2010 at 2:16pm | IP Logged  

Not usually much of a pie person, and now I can't have pumpkin because of the dairy. I voted pecan, because I really do like that kind, but I don't think my family really has it for thanksgiving...
Back to Top View VanessaVH's Profile Search for other posts by VanessaVH

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 25 2010 at 1:13am | IP Logged  

Pumpkin is absolutely top of my list, mainly due to childhood memories of spending the day before TG baking numerous pies....being blessed with a mother who allowed us to have pumpkin pie for breakfast on Thanksgiving Day...there's nothing more scrumptious than indulging in such a special treat, before your tastebuds are over saturated by a day feasting! Dc went to bed inhaling the glorious scents of pumpkin and pecan pies cooling on our special dessert shelf! The delectable smells of stuffing, candied sweet potatoes and all the pies have just about done us all in today! The wondrous thing is, with teenagers in the house, and adult children who are married and out on their own, we now have numerous cooks in the family who are turning out to be much better cooks than their old mum!!! Today, youngest ds made vast improvements on the fluting style for our crusts, which he and dh made to perfection...16 yo ds made incredible pumpkin and pecan pie fillings on his very first try...19 yo ds made his first batch of candied sweet potatoes and I've never done better! It so wonderful when dc surpass our own skills and carry them with them into their various vocations in life! I echo our youngest's sentiments, expressed this afternoon, while chopping, rolling and stirring were in full swing..."I just love the day before for Thanksgiving, with all its preparations!" Hope everyone here has a blessed and grace-filled day with much, much, much to be thankful for!!!

p.s. It's taken me 35 years of married life to discover that chopped pecans actually make a nicer pie than pecan halves...it may not look quite as fancy, but is much easier to cut and also easier to eat. I'm even having second thoughts about my vote for pumpkin!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 26 2010 at 2:08am | IP Logged  

stacykay wrote:
I just voted, Mary! I am a major pumpkin lover!!!!    Alas, only one of my boy's has inherited the pumpkin gene.

and I see that pumpkin is now in the lead again...

Speaking of pumpkin genes, a few years ago we were talking about how everyone in the family loved pumpkin pie so much except the youngest. We were saying he must not be a "----" (our last name). He was about 6 at the time and had disappeared while we were talking. A little later he reappeared at my side and was looking really sad. I asked what was wrong and with quivering lips he said, "If I'm not a "----", why do you have me?" - Boy did I feel bad. Had to do some back peddling on that one.

So just an update on our Thanksgiving pie experience. We got together with some of my mom's extended family for the first time in many years. I forgot the pie emphasis. We had 9 different pies for 20 people - almost half a pie per person

~Pumpkin
~Pecan
~Bourbon Chocolate Pecan
~Blackberry
~Huckleberry Apple
~Banana Cream
~Lemon Meringue
~Pastel Vasco (Basque - kind of a cross between a cake and pie)
~Cheesecake (okay, technically not a pie, but...)

Servant, loved hearing T-day pie memories.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Gloria JMJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 27 2010 at 1:18am | IP Logged  

My dc all love pumpkin and I am an apple fan, but my apple pies usually collaps . I had preped 7 Granny Smith apples and realized that my bigger pie pan had been packed, so I piled it all high in a smaller pan and thought I'd have this really cool 'Mile High' pie. Well, the pie 'looked' good, but when I cut into it the crust deflated into a 'normal' looking pie. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 27 2010 at 11:20am | IP Logged  

Pumpkin
Pumpkin
Pumpkin
Period.

On any other day, I LOVE LOVE LOVE pie - MOST pies - with my faves being peach, cherry, lemon mirangue, chocolate cream...I'd better stop there .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version