Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: What are your CHEAP lunches? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MWeber
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 28 2010 at 8:34pm | IP Logged Quote MWeber

KackyK wrote:
Okay I'm just going to be watching this thread because I am in awe, pathetic right?

I've NEVER made a special lunch, something that all eat. Our lunches have always been a free for all, everyone fixes their own lunch, except for the 5 and 2 yr olds. So I have "fixin"s - bread, deli ham, deli turkey, cheese slices, tortillas, pb, diff. jellies, etc. Some kids make their own quesadilla, some do a sandwich (or 2!), some have left overs from the night before, someone might have a yogurt (like me!). We all eat at the same time, just not the same.

I'm betting the same meal would be cheaper.....learning here!!!!!

My kids are under 5, so it's a totally different story. My SIL who has 5 kids and homeschools has a similar routine as you do. She just doesn't stress over lunch at all, making the school-aged kids fend for themselves. I think it's a good way to teach responsibility.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 28 2010 at 9:34pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

of course school age children are also capable of making lunch for the whole family

But if you're looking for *cheap* that doesn't tend to include lunch meats.. though what exactly it may include is part of why I'm thinking I need to figure out costs of meals instead of just what things seem.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 29 2010 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote LucyP

Oh dear, lately, all we can afford is toast, or english muffins. Even cheese sandwiches or egg on toast is too expensive. Sometimes I do beans on toast - but doctor up the can of baked beans with some garlic, some wholegrain mustard and a teaspoon or two of maple syrup. But mostly it is toast.
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

Trinity
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 30 2010 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote Trinity

We usually have leftovers, sandwiches, salads or soup for lunch. My toddler sometimes gets in a picky mood and says "no" to almost everything suggested to her. That is when she has her beloved Stonyfield strawberry yogurt with strawberries and bananas mixed in.

My favorite cheap lunch these days is cooked lentils with tomato soup and taco seasoning added. It is tasty by itself or on burritos.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 30 2010 at 8:43pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

I've been pondering lunches, the best move I made was to print out a lunch menu, this ensures I make a better effort and don't resort to peanut butter or vegemite sandwhiches.

I tend to glance at it at breakfast, when I get the meat out of the freezer for dinner, "Oh that's what we're having for today's lunch" then I know if I have to prepare at morning tea time or later.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

dolorsofmary
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 07 2010 at 5:10pm | IP Logged Quote dolorsofmary

try leftovers from dinner the night before or pb or well might not be too cost effective but small pizzas you make - I buy the crust and dom peppino sauce and a bag of shredded mozzarrella cheese and my son or I make the pizza and then we cook it and its different.

Usually if on the run its always pb, cheese stick and an apple. To change it up and we are running errands I might change the look of the sandwich by using a cookie cutter on it to change its shape. Hope this helps.
Back to Top View dolorsofmary's Profile Search for other posts by dolorsofmary

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 07 2010 at 5:48pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

dolorsofmary wrote:
might not be too cost effective but small pizzas you make - I buy the crust and dom peppino sauce and a bag of shredded mozzarrella cheese and my son or I make the pizza and then we cook it and its different.

Oh, thanks for this reminder!!! I'm in a rut with lunches lately and we enjoy doing this as well!

We get a package of English muffins (toast in toaster or under broiler for a couple of minutes) and top with tomato sauce sprinkled with a little basil, oregano, cilantro and then top with mozzarella cheese...and toast under broiler. I try to keep a few cans of sliced pineapple in the pantry because we like to add those to our mini pizzas...as well as pepperocini and sometimes maybe a little ham. It's a fantastic lunch!

So grateful for the timely reminder to add these back to our lunch routine!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 07 2010 at 6:19pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

If you want to get more creative with your "cheese and pizza dough" idea, last week, I stared at the fridge and we had string cheese from traveling and a bag of storebought premade pizza dough (not sure why???, lol).

I wrapped the string cheese in pieces of pizza dough, brushed with olive oil and a little oregano, and baked like breadsticks. Then, I made a little marinara sauce while it baked for dipping.

It was a big hit, and I'm guessing if you just buy low moisture mozzerella and cut into sticks, it would work as well and not cost as much as individually wrapped string cheese.

Also, you might just try getting creative with the peanutbutter sandwich for variety. Try toasting the bread, using honey instead of jelly, adding sliced gbananas or raisins, etc...

I'll also jazz up grilled cheese sometimes by making them open faced and adding something like green onion and diced tomato, sliced granny smith apple and arugula or spring greens, etc... It doesn't sound "cheap" but really, one sandwich will not hold a whole lot of extra stuff. So, just a handful of leftover salad greens and a single apple are enough to add a little pep for our two adults and three little guys.

Also, I always buy X or XX Sharp cheese. I costs a little more, but I find I can use less of it and still get a lot of flavor. Not sure if that is helpful.

We also make our own corn tortillas from corn masa which you can find in the international aisle at the grocery store. A small tortilla press isn't terribly expensive and makes it more manageable than trying to roll them. It is cheaper (an healthier ) than buying the ready made (though, I do still do that sometimes for convenience).

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 07 2010 at 6:48pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Mackfam wrote:

We get a package of English muffins (toast in toaster or under broiler for a couple of minutes) and top with tomato sauce sprinkled with a little basil, oregano, cilantro and then top with mozzarella cheese...and toast under broiler. I try to keep a few cans of sliced pineapple in the pantry because we like to add those to our mini pizzas...as well as pepperocini and sometimes maybe a little ham. It's a fantastic lunch!

We just had these for lunch today Jen! Not with pineapple though.

Baked potatoes are a staple here lately as well. We buy butter in bulk at Costco

We buy pasta in bulk on sale (well we buy everything on sale, I keep telling my dh he needs to write a book because he is the bargain shopping king I swear!) and either add some sauce or cheese (we stock up on the cheddar when it's on sale and buy the extra sharp like Lindsay mentioned).

Oh and perogies are a favorite lunch here. We're fixin' to make a big batch for the freezer here shortly.

Our favorite breakfast lately has been crockpot oatmeal (can you tell it's COLD here?). I threw some fresh apples in today and it was fabulous!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 07 2010 at 6:55pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

MicheleQ wrote:
We're fixin' to make ...

Hey...that sounds like me talkin'!!! You sound like a southern gal, Michele!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 07 2010 at 7:04pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Mackfam wrote:
MicheleQ wrote:
We're fixin' to make ...

Hey...that sounds like me talkin'!!! You sound like a southern gal, Michele!

Jen I actually was thinking of you as I was typing it!

I HAVE lived in the south (Georgia) briefly and several of my husband's sister live down there so it rubs off. Ya'll should be glad I don't use PA Dutch terms here. Now THAT would be confusing.

I do have this strange habit of quickly adopting in my speech the accent of those I am around (completely involuntary and somewhat embarrassing). So if I was around you for long I would surely be exclaiming "GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!" in no time!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 07 2010 at 7:31pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

MicheleQ wrote:
I do have this strange habit of quickly adopting in my speech the accent of those I am around (completely involuntary and somewhat embarrassing).

Oh Michele I do that too. Started learning how to speak in different accents in high school theatre and it only got worse

Does using the sharper cheese really save money? I'm thinking we'd have to cut the use of cheese in half to see any real savings.. do you actually use that much less? but more importantly do the KIDS use less or do you have to stand over them to make it happen?

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 07 2010 at 7:56pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Wow, it has been a year since our family started having skillet meals at least once a week. We have it down to a science and mainly use leftovers that we have in the refrigerator or that we placed in freezer bags in the freezer. Cheap, cheap, cheap and satisfying!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 07 2010 at 8:02pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Lucy, I totally forgot about beans on toast! I learned to eat this tasty treat in Ireland (I won't tell you how long ago...you were probably not even born!).

Another Irish thing to do is take leftover potatoes, mash them and make pan-fried potato patties. This was one of our favorite school lunches (we lived near, so we went home for lunch most days).

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 07 2010 at 10:49pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Does sharp cheddar cost twice as much as what you use? I must admit, we are picky about our cheese, and even though I buy ten pound blocks in bulk directly from the Amish factory to save, I don't buy "cheap" cheese. However, I think the double x is less than a dollar more a pound. [:/]

And my kids don't use cheese independently, yet, so I can't really say if they would use less. I do know that I will often put half to two thirds of the cheese stated in a recipe, though without issue.

dolorsofmary
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 08 2010 at 7:32am | IP Logged Quote dolorsofmary

don't forget to check for lost leaders at the deli and cheese area (a lost leader is an advertised special that is designed to get you in the store - stock up and buy double) we love cabot's serious sharp cheese and imported swiss deli style) but I almost always get them only on sale. And for the pizza dough, very recently we made it ourselves with our bread maker - another savings. And get the yeast that comes in the bottle rather than the packets, I think it is cheaper. I find it in the orange juice, milk isle at my shoprite.
Back to Top View dolorsofmary's Profile Search for other posts by dolorsofmary

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 08 2010 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

We get yeast in jars, too. I definitely think it's less expensive.

One of our local grocery stores puts meat on sale when it gets close to its expiration date, so I stop by the back of the store to check it out whenever I'm there. I take the meat home and either use it that day or freeze it.

Sanveann
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Dec 08 2010 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote Sanveann

Have you guys seen the SAF instant yeast that King Arthur Flour sells? it's 5.95 for a 16 ounce bag -- I figured that even WITH shipping, it's cheaper than the jars at the store. (I paid $5.99 for four ounces at Meijer.) Here's the link: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/saf-red-instant-ye ast-16-oz

Back to Top View Sanveann's Profile Search for other posts by Sanveann

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 08 2010 at 10:04am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Yes we always check out the loss leaders! I always joke that the stores don't make any money off of us.

Boneless skinless chicken "tenders" were $1.49/lb this week so we got quite a bit and cooked it down for various recipes. Not as cheap as buying a whole chicken but without the skin and bones you get all meat for that price. My dh makes a cheesy chicken and potato soup that we all just love. He's fixin' to make a big bacth this weekend so we can freeze it.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 08 2010 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

That sounds yummy! Does he share his recipe?

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version