Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Induction help! - baby update page 2 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 04 2010 at 2:32am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Well... today is the day! I'm 37 weeks. We hoped and prayed to get here and they do not want me to go further. The last doppler clearly showed me that it was more difficult to monitor, so I understand the need for inducton.

I'm 1 cm 40% effaced. Not my hope. The original plan was to do a cervix softener last night, then start pitocin this morning. (I was hoping the softener would put me into natural labor). But the hospital called to say that I was the wrong gestational week to use the particular softener, so they hustled me in to ascertain the above status.

So now my orders are: Rapid Pitocin, Bedrest (except for bathroom), IV's for fluids and GBS and break my water. All at once. She is high, so they will not let me out of bed to go on a birthing ball until her head descends... maybe.

I do understand that this is Fairfax, they are the high risk people. This is how they do things due to the nature of the babies, etc. And the goal is healthy baby. It's just sooo out of my comfort zone. And start to finish in such a fashion sounds above my means right now!

It's been a rough week (multiple things breaking and requiring repairs and three trips to the hospital/doctors), so I'm exhausted. So Bridget your advice was helpful... I don't have the reserve energy that I usually do. And steroids totally mess with me.

I was hoping if I was 3 or 4, I could do it. But she's not engaged at all and not in the optimum position (despite my best efforts!)

So thank you, thank you for all the advice. Anne, I wish this week had allowed me time to drop you a line! Please whisper a little prayer for my little Marion and me as we hope to meet each other very soon.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

shineblue
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 04 2010 at 5:42am | IP Logged Quote shineblue

All the very best Maryan, praying to St Gerard tonight! All this intervention will soon be over and you will have your darling Marion in your arms.
After a bed-ridden induction and epidural with my first I was determined to deliver more naturally second time around. Another induction required but I was able to get through with no epidural (visualizing the pain being filled up in a balloon and watching it float away with each contraction seemed to do the trick!!) Also being able to be in the shower for ages really helped with the pain.
Stay strong!
Blessings
Marcia

Back to Top View shineblue's Profile Search for other posts by shineblue

Grateful in VA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 04 2010 at 6:02am | IP Logged Quote Grateful in VA

I'm praying that everything goes smoothly for you. God Bless
Janine
Back to Top View Grateful in VA's Profile Search for other posts by Grateful in VA

mamasue
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 04 2010 at 6:43am | IP Logged Quote mamasue

Hang in there and just think about that moment when you will meet your little girl!

Think about her little lips...
And tiny button nose...
Two beautiul eyes taking in this new world...
Her 5 little fingers wrapped tightly around your finger...
Think about that first cry! Oh the sound of a new life brought into this world! Safely and healthy!!
Back to Top View mamasue's Profile Search for other posts by mamasue

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 04 2010 at 10:51am | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Hang in there, Maryan! Praying that everything goes well, smoothly, and that you are reassured and comforted. Once everything gets going they probably won't do things unless they are medically appropriate - meaning you won't have to experience all those things that you so want to avoid unless they are necessary. It's always those last hours and minutes before the labor takes off that everything has felt really scary to me, and then the labor takes on its own rhythm and it's all okay.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2010 at 2:36pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

hylabrook1 wrote:
Once everything gets going they probably won't do things unless they are medically appropriate - meaning you won't have to experience all those things that you so want to avoid unless they are necessary. It's always those last hours and minutes before the labor takes off that everything has felt really scary to me, and then the labor takes on its own rhythm and it's all okay.

This is how I have always felt too. Praying for you and your little girl, Maryan!!

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

Maggie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2010 at 3:28pm | IP Logged Quote Maggie

Maryan,

My big piece of advice is to look into the drugs that your OB wants to use for induction. Currently, there is a huge trend for OBs to use Cytotec (misoprostol). It is far cheaper than pitocin, which is why hospitals and insurance companies like to use it.

However, years ago the FDA sent letters to OBs stressing the danger of using Cytotec, which is NOT condoned for obstetrical use.

The main danger is uterine rupture.

You can read about it here and Google it from there.

A good film to watch regarding birthing/induction is called Pregnant in America. While I can't say that the film is great, the information and research they do regarding cytotec is worth the watch. (Skip the first 5-10 minutes of the film--bleck).

Imho, pitocin is much safer and more comfortable for mom than the use of cytotec. Some Obs like to use cervadil the night before to "ripen" the uterus, which I have heard, is also a good/safe approach, if you have to be induced at all.

I cannot claim any expertise in the subject. However, my best friend is a birthing instructor, doula, and doula coordinator for a hospital. She regularly attends births and works very closely with the doctors and nurses...Most of my knowledge is gleaned from her... and my own individua, novice research. This is just my .02.

I wish you the best. At least you have a heads up and are able to think through things before the time comes. That is a huge blessing!!

Praying for you.

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2010 at 7:20pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

I'm so grateful for all the prayers and advice. Labor and delivery went well (considering). Prayers definitely surrounded me. For those of you like me that like gory details:
- 3 am wake-up/4:30 departure
- 5:30 arrival and 7:00 pitocin (felt nothing)
- 8:00 breaks my water (still 1 cm 40% effaced) and monitor for baby's heart rate is inserted into me.
- 9:00 start feeling things but not as bad as I thought, so I am encouraged
- am allowed to do pelvic rocks in bed but am stuck in bed for bathroom
- noon: am 4-5 cm maybe 70% effaced. Getting harder
- 2 pm: getting tired, but Dr decides baby's head is engaged enough to let me sit all monitored on birthing ball (still no bathroom or shower).
- 3 pm - same (was really hoping for this hour)
- 4 pm - same
- Doctor sticks me in bed with a internal contraction monitor b/c external one made me look like I was having wimpy contractions. He's getting worried.
- 4:30 checks again. Same. I'm exhausted. But I feel her kicking in front am worried if I get an epidural and can't do pelvic rocks she won't turn. Doc teases he will not give me a c-section. He would be the laughing stock of the ward if after 5 natural deliveries, he has to give me a c-section. I tell him I'm thinking about the epidural. "Give me another hour to see if she turns, but I'm really getting shaky and tired. I'm not sure if I can relax."
-5:15 pm I throw in the towel. Nurse says she'll get the doctor to give me an epidural, but she says it sounds transition to her.
-5:30 pm Another doctor (who gives epidural) shows up to check me and tells me to push. Then tells me baby is coming in two pushes. I'm amazed.
- Contraction/Push #1 comes and he tells me not to push. Hmm... can't do that. Our friend who was nurse on call delivers head while doctors are gloving up and getting bed ready. Push #2 body.
- 5:46 I bawl in gratitude at my beautiful baby girl.

She had to have lots of tests and her Apgar tests were so-so. They had many concerns. Kell blood tests, CBC tests, and chest Xrays were done until 1 am.    But all the crying was interior, I really felt we had too many prayer warriors for anything to be wrong. And by 1 am, they sent us to our room and just monitored all night from there. Her Kell test came back negative. And they called everything else "transient."

I am so so spoiled.

Thank you!!!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2010 at 8:42pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

YAY YAY YAY Maryan!!!!! I'm so happy for you all!!!!!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 08 2010 at 9:27am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

So happy she is here safe and sound. God bless you all as you get to know each other and enjoy her. Bet those brothers are excited!!!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Grateful in VA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 08 2010 at 9:44am | IP Logged Quote Grateful in VA

Congratulations!!!
Back to Top View Grateful in VA's Profile Search for other posts by Grateful in VA

MelissaClaire
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 08 2010 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote MelissaClaire

Congratulations!!!!
Back to Top View MelissaClaire's Profile Search for other posts by MelissaClaire

RyaneM
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 08 2010 at 1:29pm | IP Logged Quote RyaneM

Wonderful news, Maryan.

I bet the boys are over the moon in love with their new sister!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 08 2010 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Congratulations!!!

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 08 2010 at 3:05pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Wonderful news, Maryan! So happy for you and your whole family!

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

JenPre
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 08 2010 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote JenPre

What happy news!! Congratulations!!

Lara Sauer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 08 2010 at 5:16pm | IP Logged Quote Lara Sauer

Heard the good news from Father at our daughter Kara's baptism...so happy for you!

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 08 2010 at 5:51pm | IP Logged Quote Ruth

I am so happy for you, Maryan!

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 09 2010 at 10:00am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I've been meaning to get over here and say....

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!

...in all pink!!!!

I'm so thrilled for you and your family, Maryan! Deo gratias for all the answered prayers! Enjoy all the snuggle time!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 09 2010 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

EXCELLENT! Whew- I was sweating just reading it all. So glad for the happy ending!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version