Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Baby name question Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MWeber
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 12:23pm | IP Logged Quote MWeber

MelissaClaire wrote:

I do love the name Greta though! My friend knew she was having a girl and was going to name her Gianna and she got such a negative reaction from people that she promised she wouldn't ever share a name before hand again.

Actually the only negative reaction I've gotten from a proposed name was from my husband. I love the name Faustina Bernadette but upon hearing it his response was, "If she comes out a 90 year old lady you can name her that."   

I know several Giannas - how funny! I actually think this name is on the rise around here. And my deceased daughter's name is Bernadette. I have a friend with the same name, but she often went by Bernie. Sounds silly, but it really suited her personality.

I am still laughing at your DH's response. Trying to agree on a name is almost impossible for us, mainly b/c my DH can't take anything seriously. He'll go through as many ridiculous names as he can just to drive me nuts, so most discussions result in me rolling my eyes and leaving.

Fuzzy wrote:
I sometimes think that our *wonderful* pregnancy hormones make so many things hard in those 9 (10) months.

Totally off topic, but it's strange...I am far less emotional and moody during pregnancy and when I'm BF'ing than when I'm cycling. How weird is that?

JaysFamily wrote:
Yes! LOL. My family hated our son's middle name, which I'll tell you next time I see you.

Yes, do tell! The real question is, does your son actually know his middle name? I just discovered recently that my son had no clue what his middle name is. We've been quizzing him at dinnertime ever since.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Well I'm stubborn enough that people who know me, know better than to think their opinion is going to change me.. so we do share the names even if we've gotten a negative response. Once we know them. I don't share "possibilities".. which to me, gives them more an option to "cast a vote". My response is along the lines of *shrug* "well you've got time to get used to it before baby is born." Which is why I wouldn't go to waiting until baby is born to tell people.. I guess I do like giving them time to get used to a name.

I was surprised by the positive comments we got on the name we didn't get to use this last time Cecilia (except we'd use the german spelling Cecylia). But everyone we told liked it.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 1:11pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

Our kids' first names are all fairly traditional (mostly because dh likes that ) so we haven't had too much naysaying going on...except when my mom told my grandmother that our daughter's middle name was "Grace".   

"What kinda name is THAT??" she said. I think because my grandmother's SISTER'S name was Grace, and we hadn't named any of our kids "______ Marie" yet (which was my grandmother's name)

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 1:16pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

MWeber wrote:

Yes, do tell! The real question is, does your son actually know his middle name? I just discovered recently that my son had no clue what his middle name is. We've been quizzing him at dinnertime ever since.

He must not get into trouble very often.

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 1:38pm | IP Logged Quote LucyP

Our children come ready named, but we give them middle names which are special to them. I have always loved the name Dorothy as it has a lovley meaning and was my nana's name and my great-grandma's name. But my mum can't stop telling me that Nana hated her name - and it always has a bit of a downer affect on me. Funnily enough DD insists on being called by the same pet name version of Dorothy that Nana was called, and I love it, but the name is difficult for my mum so sometimes she will call her by a pet name of her first name or combine her middle name with her second middle name.
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 1:59pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

JodieLyn wrote:
I was surprised by the positive comments we got on the name we didn't get to use this last time Cecilia (except we'd use the german spelling Cecylia). But everyone we told liked it.

If this little one is a girl, we plan on naming her Cecilia! :) Cecilia Ann.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

JaysFamily
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 2:24pm | IP Logged Quote JaysFamily

MWeber wrote:

Yes, we've told him. He argued with us, denying that he has a middle name, ha! He claims that his name is only First Lastname.

Jaysfamily
wife to Jay
mother to DS(5)
Back to Top View JaysFamily's Profile Search for other posts by JaysFamily

Pilgrim
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote Pilgrim

Lisbet wrote:
JodieLyn wrote:

If this little one is a girl, we plan on naming her Cecilia! :) Cecilia Ann.

We're planning on Cecelia this time too!

St. Clare Heirloom Seeds coupon 4Real 20% off

St. Clare Audio
Back to Top View Pilgrim's Profile Search for other posts by Pilgrim Visit Pilgrim's Homepage

wifemommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 5:00pm | IP Logged Quote wifemommy

(Yes, but the response "That's interesting" is the southern way of saying "Are you kidding me?" )

At least she didn't "Bless your/her heart"
_ I think Greta is so cute Annie
Back to Top View wifemommy's Profile Search for other posts by wifemommy

MWeber
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Quote MWeber

wifemommy wrote:
(Yes, but the response "That's interesting" is the southern way of saying "Are you kidding me?" )

At least she didn't "Bless your/her heart"
_ I think Greta is so cute Annie

Too funny!!

Truthfully, I adore my MIL. But it has taken me several years to understand the ways of the deep south.

I am glad I asked about this - y'all (see, I'm learning!) have made me feel much better about it.

KauaiCatholic
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 6:53pm | IP Logged Quote KauaiCatholic

OK, I'm not proud, but I wanted to pipe in from the side of someone who caved to outside opinion. maybe it will make you feel more convicted.

I really wanted to name this latest baby Damian; we live in Hawaii, and I was pregnant during his canonization. seemed perfect, until my DH got tired of explaining that no, it had nothing to do with "The Omen" (which neither of us have ever seen.) the last straw was when our neighbor asked, "you're naming your baby after an evil priest? or was he a demon?"

and earlier, we declined to name DD Maria because my strong-willed, Latin mamacita insisted on pronouncing it with a full-blown Spanish-style trill: "Marrrrrrrria," which drove my DH batty (me, too, I must admit. )

it's not as bad as it sounds, because both decisions came early in the name selection process, and the ones we picked really fit the children who came along. but all that being said, I wanted to agree: it's your baby, name her what YOU want!

congratulations and welcome to whoever she turns out to be!

ETA: we have asked St. Damian to be the patron of our homeschool, so he's not been forgotten.

Back to Top View KauaiCatholic's Profile Search for other posts by KauaiCatholic

mamalove
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 7:14pm | IP Logged Quote mamalove

after hearing baby called "rainbow love muffin" or "baby frankie" all 9 months, anything sounds better to the relatives ears than that
Back to Top View mamalove's Profile Search for other posts by mamalove

Vanna
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 12:00pm | IP Logged Quote Vanna

My child has a different name "Gibson". People have had very strong reactions to it...one family member told me, to my face, that it was a "stupid name". LOL

I just rolled my eyes, laughed and walked away. I think Greta is a beautiful name. My friend named her baby Grier and oh man, she gets some reactions out of that one too.

JenPre
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 21 2010 at 3:29pm | IP Logged Quote JenPre

mathmama wrote:

We do get "oh that's interesting" in response to our oldest's name, but only when we pronounce it. Once we spell it I think people aren't so surprised by it. We don't pronounce it "Theresa". I was actually surprised by the response to our third dd's name. Veronica is not a name you hear much these days, so I expected negative reactions. People really surprised me and we had an overwhelmingly positive response to Veronica Rose. I do agree it is a beautiful name

We pronounce our Marie-Therese as "Therese" as well and not "Theresa". I can't tell you how many people call her "Maria-Theresea" though.

And when we have a second baby if it's a girl her name is Veronica! Not sure on the middle name though.

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 21 2010 at 4:36pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

As much as people have odd reactions to proposed baby names, I really think that once that child is here and people get to know him or her as a person, the *sound* of the name takes a back seat to the person who bears the name, kwim? We have a Margaret who, as she has gotten older, has chosen to be called Maggie. Most of her babyhood she was known as Margaret, which, when she was brand new, many people felt was *a lot of name* for such a tiny person. But then as she grew there was much more to *her* than just a name and the focus moved away from the name itself. But I still don't like it when other people think it's okay to comment negatively on someone's choice in naming their child. It just seems rude. To quote one of my children's grandmothers, "What are you going to call her? Margaret?" "Well, yeah. That is her name."

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 21 2010 at 8:59pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Well my mother is driving me batty, once again, ringing up and 'suggesting' baby names and getting offended if I make any negative comments on any choices. I mean I do think it was fair to point out that Angel for a boy is perhaps setting him up for trouble in the country town we live in. Some of the names are hilarious that she suggests.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2010 at 7:48am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Well, we don't have a boys name picked out yet (due in like, 20 days! LOL!) and my MIL has called this baby "Jacob" since the beginning. Nothing against the name Jacob, but I just don't have any feelings on it either way - it's not a name I would choose. She keeps insisting he will be Jacob. I just don't know what makes her think she gets a say...

Is "Charlie" to cutesy for a grown man? I love Charlie for a wee one, but I don't care for Charles, but Charles sounds better for a grown man than Charlie - or Chuck...

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

violingirl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 22 2010 at 8:41am | IP Logged Quote violingirl

I don't really understand why other people think they have a say in something like naming someone else's child.

We didn't tell anyone our boys' names until they were born, precisely because I saw what a good friend went through with familiy nitpicking their choices. Our boys are named Steven and Ezra, but Steven is Steven III- FIL goes by Steve, DH goes by the middle name and early on my son was called Ender by DH (after the Orson Scott Card book) and he's been called that ever since, even outside of the family. He introduces himself as "Ender but my real name is Steven."

Back to Top View violingirl's Profile Search for other posts by violingirl Visit violingirl's Homepage

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 22 2010 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Erin - I once knew someone of decidedly Italian heritage whose name was Archangelo. He actually went by "Arkie" - as an adult. I'll have to admit, Angel for a boy does not grab me. But there is always Michael, Raphael, Gabriel that might carry a bit of the same sentiment.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 22 2010 at 12:25pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Lisa - There's other derivations of Charles.. like Karl. And calling a little one named Karl, Charlie isn't a big leap.. I mean look at James to Jimmy or Katherine to Katie etc.

But you know.. some men keep what we might otherwise call a boyish nickname (Joey or Jimmy for isntance) and it works FINE for them. So I think Charlie could work just fine for a man as well.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version