Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: In mourning over cereal... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 6:32am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Well, most of them. I'm pretty indignant that most of the cereals at the grocery store have either BHT or BHA as the preservatives. Ick.
Even "healthier" brands like mini-wheats and Quaker Oat squares have these preservatives.

Some of the organic brands don't ( ) but apparently my dh's and ds's taste buds have been ruined by Special K Chocolate Delight
The healthy stuff isn't going down too well.

We do all the other things- muffins, waffles, oatmeal, eggs... my dh is sad but understands. But my ds stands at the pantry door every morning close to tears.

Has anyone else gone BHT/BHA free?

Thinking of starting a support club...

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 6:36am | IP Logged Quote Erin

I've just gone cereal free (except for Rolled Oats) Can I join your support club?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

greengables
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote greengables

Hi SeaStar,

I would like to join the support club too! This school year we said goodbye to those cereals and I began buying the organic cereals. As I become more diligent about checking labels I am sure to find MORE items to knock out of our diets! Can adding items to the list be part of the support club????

I have been wanting to do this for years! I may be just prejudice to the idea as it was instigated by me, but it seems to me the children have more concentration abilities which is the first reason we made the switch.

Thankfully my husband is fully on board here and we are not receiving too many complaints from the children. It is just that they probably don't have the same conviction which means they will probably be happy to eat these cereals in hotels and at friends houses - at least for a while.

That brings me to another thought. If your family is BHA/BHT free, what was the primary reason that led you there?

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 10:18am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

We rarely do cold cereals here either.. too high of cost really.. between the cost of the cereal (even the cheapest ones) and the cost of the milk

One thing that really helps is to make ahead things like oatmeal bars or quickbreads so that there is something you can grab without having to "make breakfast".

And speaking of breakfast.. off to make french toast.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 2:35pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Pardon my ignorance, but will those be listed on the ingredient panel? We do Honey Nut O's from Trader Joes. Never thought of those ingredients.

Will they eat Granola? Heartland cereal was a favorite of mine, nothing on the label regarding that.

But cold cereal is nice and convenient...I hate to lose that as a possibility, especially when we're on the go. Probably most Kellogg or General Mills or Quaker will be adding those ingredients. You'll need to go to more specialty cereals, unfortunately. Shop the top shelves of the cereal aisle instead of the middle and bottom.

Not as fun or "tasty" for the kids, of course!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 2:53pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Well, we basically went cereal free about 4 years ago.

BUT, when we splurge as a treat which we do a few times a year, we LOVE Barbara's brand, especially Peanutbutter Puffins. There are lots of varieties of Puffins, including cocoa, and lots of other non-Puffin varieties, too.

Anyway, its my understanding that all their cereals are BHT/BHA free.

And, I really think they taste good. TONS better, imo, than Captain Crunch and the other cereals they resemble. The sweet ones are sweet, but not TOO sweet. Trader Joe's has a reasonable price, ime.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 4:10pm | IP Logged Quote Chris V

My local grocery just started carrying Mom's Best Naturals brand cereals in their organic / natural foods section. So far my kids don't have any complaints as far as taste is concerned and the average cost per box of cereal is $2.20 (and the box is a decent size, not the tiny box of some other brands). I also am willing to buy Cascadian Farm brand boxed cereals; they are organic, so more expensive, but when they go on sale, I stock up (and they are local, just a bit north of me ).

I don't eat cereal myself, but my husband does and so do my kids; often my kids like to have a bowl of cereal as a daytime snack, so I always have some in the kitchen.

I don't care much for how cereal grains are processed - but that's another topic of discussion for another time; personally, it's a struggle to perfect our diets and a constant battle to rid our lives of foods that come laced with additives that I don't want ingested (sigh) ... one can quickly become overwhelmed. Do the best you can with what you know and are aware of, and what your wallet will allow

Back to Top View Chris V's Profile Search for other posts by Chris V

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 5:22pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

SeaStar wrote:
Has anyone else gone BHT/BHA free?

What are these additives?
Not sure if we have them here in Australia

JodieLyn wrote:

We rarely do cold cereals here either.. too high of cost really.. between the cost of the cereal (even the cheapest ones) and the cost of the milk

Much to my shock I calculated recently that we were spending $200 a month on cereal and milk!

I'd rather spend that money on fruit and veg.

CrunchyMom wrote:
Well, we basically went cereal free about 4 years ago.

So Lindsay what are you eating?

We are actually going mostly grain free, so fruit and oats (our concession) are our breakfast fare at present.

Lots of yummy smoothies, juices and apple fruinola, porridge for when we want something heavier.   

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 5:25pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Well, we're about to go cereal free again. I had become lax due to good deals and convenience, but the BHT is NOT good. (BHT is a petroleum based perservative which is linked to hyperactivity among other things. TBHQ is similar.) Mostly my crew eats toast (cinnamon or with various nut butters), yogurt, hardboiled eggs (sometimes scrambled or fried), cheese and fruit, soaked flour "muffin bread", or occasionally leftover pancakes or oatmeal porridge.

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 5:56pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

oatmeal
scrambled eggs and toast
peanut butter and jelly on toast
pancakes
french toast
fried eggs and potatoes
oatmeal bars
quick breads
bread pudding
apple crisp (heavy on the oatmeal in the topping)
biscuits and gravy (more rare)

add fruit to any of the above with fresh, canned or juice happens as well.

adding any sausage or bacon to the above is done more rarely.. usually no more than once a week for a nice Sunday brunch after Mass.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 6:03pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

eggs, bacon, toast
whole grain pancakes with fruit
yogurt with fruit
smoothies
sprouted grain bagels with cream cheese

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

You have to watch the ingredients labels. What I'm seeing is that the BHT is not listed in the ingredients list but farther down on the box where is it listed as an added preservative.

BHT/BHA have been linked to various forms of cancer as well as behavioral problems. Bottom line... these preservatives have not been well researched and shouldn't be in our food.

Greengables-
I am interested in food more than ever after seeing the life-changing effects of diet for children with epilepsy. My dh is also a cancer survivor, and these two things together have made me acutely aware of the power of food.

It makes me angry that so much of what is in the stores is all full of chemical junk. I agree that it is very hard to eat "clean"- there are lapses all the time at my house as I learn more and find new sources of healthy food... also as we adjust to the changes in our diet. It's truly a work in progress. It has taken me a long time to give cereal the boot.

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 8:00pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

This is so hard to read. We are slaves to the cereal lane at the market . While I think that I'm being good by buying non sugary cereals it sounds like there are other things in our food that I need to educate myself on. If you keep writing, I'll +keep reading and learning .

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 8:40pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

and it gets worse.... canned goods? The cans have BPA in the lining that leach into your food.

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 9:38pm | IP Logged Quote Chris V

SeaStar wrote:

and it gets worse.... canned goods? The cans have BPA in the lining that leach into your food.

Exactly. This is what I meant when I said the more you're aware, the more overwhelming it is. It gets worse... a lot worse. I won't buy anything that contains High Fructose Corn Syrup, not only is it terrible and completely void of any nutritional value, but it also contains trace amounts of mercury. Trace amounts? you might say. Well considering just how many foods contain HFCS and how much of these food you consume on a regular basis (ketchup, cereals, juice, tartar sauce, salad dressings, processed meats, etc.) you quickly realize that those "trace" amounts of mercury are no longer trace, but significant, coupled with the fact that your body has no way of ridding inself of this metal ... well, you quickly go from trace to seriously toxic ... Overwhelming, yes; because contaminents, additives, and preservatives are everywhere.

So as I say, the more you know, the better you'll do - but you can only do the best you can with the allowances that you can make. Eating well and good isn't cheap. (or necessarily convenient for that matter).

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 10:30pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Please, please more alphabet soup, what do these letters stand for?

Chris, so in essence the only solution is no processed foods?

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 10:59pm | IP Logged Quote Chris V

Erin wrote:

Chris, so in essence the only solution is no processed foods?

...that's certainly a major step in the right direction ; but I'd also add we try to eat as organically as possible, and eating and cooking with as many whole-foods as possible. I read the labels and if I don't know or understand what something is, then I don't buy it. I stay away from preservatives, artificial additives that are completely unnecessary (food coloring), and food enhancers such as msg. We're fortunate that my husband's hunting skills provide our yearly meat, and we have a local organic farm where we get all of our fruit and vegetables.

...but, I certainly don't want to paint the wrong picture here. I'm not a purist ! I do the best I can for my family, but I respect the need for my husband to enjoy a box of Cheez-Its every now and again. And, do I allow my children to roast a marshmellow on the campfire once and a while? You bet ...enjoy a donut after mass? (especially if I've had to resort to coercion to entice good behavior?) Indeed.

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 11:02pm | IP Logged Quote Chris V

Erin wrote:

HFCS - High Fructose Corn Syrup

Sorry, Erin!

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 16 2010 at 6:19am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

BPA is bisphenol-A, which has hormonal effects.
It also can leach form plastic into bottled water and things like apple jiuce

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 16 2010 at 6:46am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

SeaStar wrote:
things like apple jiuce

...which they now think contains lead

At some point you do have to laugh at the insanity in order to maintain your own sanity. Even organic apple juices were found to have lead.

I think we eat a lot like Chris, avoiding processed foods, *trying* to buy organic and locally, and compromising but being comfortable with the fact that the "tainted" foods aren't comprising the bulk of our diet.

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version