Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Your #1 comfortable shoe? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 5:22pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

My feet apparently don't do well with pregnancy. They are killing me, which isn't good because it just makes me that less willing to get some exercise. I have Mary Jane Earth shoes that are killing me, Sketchers shape-ups that hurt, and all my "regular" shoes are miserable to put on.

I don't want to break the bank but I have to do something. So, tell me your absolute favorite comfortable shoe. I would prefer something attractive enough to wear out in public with nice pants, but I just need some relief so I will put vanity aside.

Thanks!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 5:29pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I love my Birkenstocks when pregnant. If your feet don't hurt when barefoot, I think they are the closest you can get to walking around barefoot of any shoe. They make closed toe varieties and clogs that are a little warmer and more attractive than the original sandals. I haven't tried those, though. Mine are just the sandals with three thinner straps that I find a little nicer looking than the original two strapped variety.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 5:58pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

it depends on why the shoes are hurting.. lack of support? or are you feet slightly swollen and your regular sizes aren't fitting well? I ended up wearing one pair of shoes that are slightly big on me normally and the rubbery clogs (crocs style) at the end of my pregnancy this time.. oh and the shoes were a slip on style that mostly went over my toes on the top.. not very far up my foot so there was room for my poor swollen feet.. those I got at landsend on sale. ah here they are

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 6:19pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

I would definitely try Crocs. NOT pretty (though they're so common now most people don't notice) but they made a HUGE difference for me with my last pregnancy.

So sorry you are having trouble Molly --hang in there.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Gracesmom
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 6:31pm | IP Logged Quote Gracesmom

MicheleQ wrote:
I would definitely try Crocs. NOT pretty (though they're so common now most people don't notice) but they made a HUGE difference for me with my last pregnancy.

So sorry you are having trouble Molly --hang in there.

I SECOND this!! I remember wondering what all the hype was with these. Then, when I was at the Calgary Stampede one year about 6 months pregnant with my 2nd, I tried some on. I wouldn't take them off. It was like walking on clouds. I think they make them more stylish now...
Back to Top View Gracesmom's Profile Search for other posts by Gracesmom

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 6:58pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

It is mainly my arches that ache, but there is also just that general fatigue feeling. So, I definitely need more support but also I think just some all around comfort.

On a bit of a tangent, I seem to be retaining water all over! Even my watch is tight. What is causing this and what should I be doing? (Baby #9, and still basic questions! LOL!)

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 7:27pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

drink more water is the #1 thing to do.. then there's adding lemon juice as a mild diuetic

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 7:53pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

Clarks have great support and you can get the clogs; comfortable and easy to put on yet stylish with dressier pants.

Also, you can find these at those shoe outlet places. Please remember to drink lots of water even in the cooler months.

Will be praying for you!

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 9:02pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I have very flat feet, and my arches really really kill me during pregnancy. I bought Dansko to support my feet.

Another thing that has been helping me now is little exercises for my feet. It only takes a few minutes, but I have noticed a world of difference for me. Pain Free: A Revolutionary Method for Stopping Chronic Pain by Pete Egoscue.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 9:14pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Thanks KC and Jenn. I put the book on hold at my library.
I have heard about Dansko over the years, but keep hesitating because they don't "look" comfortable, same with Clarks. Granted I have only seen them on the internet, but it is hard to imagine comfortable clogs. All the reviews I have read have been very positive. Maybe it is time to give them a try.

Remembering Today

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 9:22pm | IP Logged Quote Chris V

I'm a huge Birkenstock fan . In fact, about 15 years ago I bought a pair of black London's. I still wear them everyday! As the sole wears down, I just get them re-soled for about $30 and that lasts another couple of years. The leather has worn so very nicely that they still look new and don't have many wrinkles at all - worn enough to look and feel comfortable, but not to look worn-out. The upfront investment (I think at the time I paid around $90) has been so well worth it! They are my favorite shoes of *all* time and they go with everything I wear - yes, for better or for worse, I've been known to wear them with dresses .

Back to Top View Chris V's Profile Search for other posts by Chris V

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 9:27pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

teachingmyown wrote:
Thanks KC and Jenn. I put the book on hold at my library.
I have heard about Dansko over the years, but keep hesitating because they don't "look" comfortable, same with Clarks. Granted I have only seen them on the internet, but it is hard to imagine comfortable clogs. All the reviews I have read have been very positive. Maybe it is time to give them a try.

Check out his "Pain Free for Women", too. It has great advice for pregnancies.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Jenn, what style of Dansko do you have?

Remembering Today

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 5:58am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Chris V wrote:
I'm a huge Birkenstock fan . In fact, about 15 years ago I bought a pair of black London's. I still wear them everyday! As the sole wears down, I just get them re-soled for about $30 and that lasts another couple of years. The leather has worn so very nicely that they still look new and don't have many wrinkles at all - worn enough to look and feel comfortable, but not to look worn-out. The upfront investment (I think at the time I paid around $90) has been so well worth it! They are my favorite shoes of *all* time and they go with everything I wear - yes, for better or for worse, I've been known to wear them with dresses .

Where do you get them resoled? Do you send them somewhere?

I'm not sure about Birkenstocks and arch support. I have flat feet, and they are really comfy, but I'm not sure about them for high arches.

I have Sanitas which used to be (when I bought them) the same company as Dansko. They are my winter shoes, and I love them, but my feet do feel more fatigued than in the Birkenstocks. I guess my main love for Birks specifically during pregnancy is for the swelling. I'm having my first winter baby next Spring, so I'm not sure how the Danskos translate for me that way!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

asplendidtime
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 6:50am | IP Logged Quote asplendidtime

I was wondering the same things too Lindsay. (re-soled and high arches)   

Mary 14,
Tim 13,
Jonah 12,
Josh 10,
Zoe 9,
Will 7,
Peter 6,
Laura-Mae 4,
Emily-Joy 2,
Genevieve & Gabriella 1
Back to Top View asplendidtime's Profile Search for other posts by asplendidtime Visit asplendidtime's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 6:55am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

teachingmyown wrote:
Jenn, what style of Dansko do you have?

I've done quite a few. I also like Mephisto for sandals.

Right now I have Sally for everyday. I have several pairs of sandals (I'll have to look up the names), and have gone through a few professional clogs.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

One more thought, Molly. I know it's not super close, but getting fitted and actually trying on the shoes is so helpful to me. The Walking Company in Dulles Town Center is where I buy my shoes.

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 9:00am | IP Logged Quote Chris V

CrunchyMom wrote:
Chris V wrote:

Where do you get them resoled? Do you send them somewhere?

I'm not sure about Birkenstocks and arch support. I have flat feet, and they are really comfy, but I'm not sure about them for high arches.

I have Sanitas which used to be (when I bought them) the same company as Dansko. They are my winter shoes, and I love them, but my feet do feel more fatigued than in the Birkenstocks. I guess my main love for Birks specifically during pregnancy is for the swelling. I'm having my first winter baby next Spring, so I'm not sure how the Danskos translate for me that way!

The Birkenstock USA website has a Store Locator page and on that page you can indicate if you're looking for a retailer, repair, mail order repair, or modifications. Because I live a ways out from major metropolitan areas, mail order is what works best for me. Birkenstock has "approved" repair establishments and those are the only places I would trust to resole my shoes. So, I just put them in a box, give the repair place a call and let them know that my shoes are on the way there and I get them back in roughly two week's time.

My husband wears Romeo's to work everyday, and as soon as he gets home, he puts on his sandals. The sandals he wears are similar to the Milano (I couldn't find a picture of his actual Birkenstock, so I'm not sure what the model is). Anyway, he has flat feet too and claims that his Birkenstock sandals are the only shoes that give his feet relief. ... if he could wear sandals to work, he would!

Back to Top View Chris V's Profile Search for other posts by Chris V

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Molly~
Do you have a "specialty shoe store" anywhere near you?

It would TOTALLY be worth your while to spend some time finding a store like this somewhat near you and then going there. You are guaranteed to speak with people who can fit you with a great shoe, give you specifics on what exactly you should look for in a shoe for your specific situation.

I have this one: Shane's Foot Comfort Center near us.

This is how they describe their store:
Quote:
Shane's Foot Comfort Center and it's staff are experts in the art of shoe fitting and treating foot ailments! Here at Shane's, we focus on the health and wellness of your feet which includes: foot pain, odd sizes and odd shaped feet and persons with medical problems or foot ailments. Shane's Foot Comfort Center staff are trained professionals with many years of experience.

I pop in a couple times a year to see what's new on the market for my specific foot problems and I learn so much! DH doesn't have any "problem feet" but he goes there too....just to browse and they talk to him about different kinds/brands of shoes that he should look for with his feet.   

There are so many GREAT shoes out there now for different kinds of feet and the owners of these stores and the employees, for the most part, have been doing this for a LONG time!!! They know so much!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 5:26pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

I think you are right, Suzanne. I did order several different pairs of shoes online from some of those free shipping both ways sites. I am trying out a pair of Danskos right now. The arch seems really high. I also got a pair of Ugg clogs which really hurt my arches and seemed thin. These are both shoes with glowing reviews.

It really got me thinking about what is wrong with my feet and what I need in a shoe to address that issue or issues. I guess I actually need to venture out of the house!

Remembering Today

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version