Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: will a bigger house help? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 5:03pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

mamalove wrote:
vmalott wrote:
   One reason we felt justified in moving into a larger home, aside from being a large family, was that all of us are IN THE HOME nearly every day!

this is exactly what I assure myself with. We homeschool, and are all here all day, so the space makes sense for us, especially in the winter.

When we were designing our 'extension' we had this very fact in our mind, the requirements of a homeschooler's home is different to an average home.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

mamalove
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 10:09pm | IP Logged Quote mamalove

ok ladies, im at the thrift store this evening. the lady who runs it cooks for homeless people every day. she is telling me that in the tiny city we live by, there are about 600 homeless people living in tents in the woods and in drainage pipes ect ect....

this is where i really get hung up. why can't i make my tiny little home work for us when we are so warm and well fed and happy and safe? when i face the reality of others situiations, i wonder if i should just offer up our suffeing as it is, and then be able to give all that money to help others.

on the long drive home (far from the city back into the country where everyone has a home, even if it is a run down trailer) i was pondering this. do i NEED this, or do i just want it. what if after we do this, i am unable to go to the bent and dent to fill up boxes of groceries to take to this lady to cook with? yes, i give my 10% to our parish, and we will keep doing that, but my heart just bleeds for these people who have had such a rough time of it, and for that reason cant seem to break free from their misery.

do i need to stand back and realize that i have a family to raise, and God has called us to home education, and because of that, we do NEED more space to keep our home running smoothly. The goal of our education system in the home is to raise Godly seed for His glory and His service. i wonder if by doing what i need to do to help our famiy operate better, i am raising children who will help those in need in the future.

do i just blame this on pg hormones?
Back to Top View mamalove's Profile Search for other posts by mamalove

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 10:26pm | IP Logged Quote Chris V

...oh mamalove, no, not pregnant hormones at all! I'm not pregnant and these same thoughts and concerns consume my prayer time as of late. I am having a very difficult time reconciling my heart with building a new home on more land when we *should* be content with what we already have. We are blessed as it is. Who am I to want more ...

I pray about this ... a lot.

I trust Him. I pray we're doing the right thing. I pray we are being good stewards of our money. I pray this is His will for our family ... there is no shortage of prayer in this matter.      I don't have the answers and nothing seems quite clear, but I trust. I have faith.

God's will for your family is not His will for others. We could literally become extremely despondent with thoughts of the sufferage of others. You have a beautiful heart for caring as much as you do ... and with that heart, you will always find a way to be a servant to others in need. That won't end just because you have a bigger house .

Back to Top View Chris V's Profile Search for other posts by Chris V

mamalove
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 16 2010 at 7:20am | IP Logged Quote mamalove

thank you Chris. my husband and I discussed this last night. He can be a man of few words, and on this subject he was. He thinks we are doing the right thing, not being greedy at all. So, I will just keep on praying for St Joseph to guide us in this decision making.
Back to Top View mamalove's Profile Search for other posts by mamalove

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 16 2010 at 9:30am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

mamalove wrote:

do i need to stand back and realize that i have a family to raise, and God has called us to home education, and because of that, we do NEED more space to keep our home running smoothly. The goal of our education system in the home is to raise Godly seed for His glory and His service. i wonder if by doing what i need to do to help our famiy operate better, i am raising children who will help those in need in the future.

EXACTLY! This is the conclusion that I have come to.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 16 2010 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I will add, mamalove, that our experience in homebuying thus far (and I would presume adding an addition, too), is that it is HARD. It is a LOT of work, time, mental energy, etc...

My point is not to discourage, my point is to say there are lots of opportunities to suffer and offer up in the process of getting and maintaining a larger home/space.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

wifemommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 16 2010 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote wifemommy

We have moved to a larger home and land. I love the space area etc but I did feel guilty about Wanting more when some have so little. However now I realize God placed us here for a reason to share ... Our home is a gathering place for holidays, vacations, parties, meetings or just because    It is by no means Martha Stewart ready but it is open and welcoming.   Just something else to think about Annie
Back to Top View wifemommy's Profile Search for other posts by wifemommy

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version