Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: favorite blogs? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 11 2010 at 1:15pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

I need to spruce up my google reader. What are your favorite, must-read blogs?

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Lacy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 11 2010 at 2:54pm | IP Logged Quote Lacy

I have SO many "favorite" must read blogs that my google reader could use a real Spring cleaning!

However, most of my favorites are all on this great Catholic toolbar I have. You can find it here:

Catholic Toolbar

It was created by Angie from Catholic Mothers Online, and I LOVE it! It has Catholic blogs listed by the dozen, homeschooling resources- even this forum is on there! (That might be how I found this forum come to think of it...) Anyway, you can download and install the toolbar for free. I would recommend almost every blog on there.

On a non-Catholic note, I love the Crafty Crow and One Pretty Thing, not to mention being addicted to about 100 decorating blogs.

Can't wait to see what suggestions everyone else has!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 11 2010 at 3:21pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Angela,

Not sure what is on your list, I'd like to know My favourite must read blogs reflect me, so you won't find crafty blogs in my google reader

What you will find are blogs of mostly Catholic homeschooling mamas, generally mamas whose approach to learning is similar to mine, so certainly CM inspired. I'm currently on the look out for CM highschool blogs. So if you know any to add to my list...

Harmony Art Mom
Lapaz Home Learning
Wildflowers and Marbles

are what I have discovered so far.

Blogs that are real and that I relate too
Three Plus Two

And I love blogs that talk books

Family in Feast and Feria

Inspiration for the Liturgical Year
Shower of Roses

blogs that remind me of the joy of younger children
Amongst Lovely Things

Aussie friends including
Cherished Hearts at Home and a few others on my sidebar.

Faith blogs
Conversion Diary

and a couple of ex-Fundies blogs who are on a spiritual journey and just plain make me think outside my box
Elizabeth Esther
Permission to Live

Actually I have just added a couple of new CM blogs to my side-bar so they may yet become favourites too.

**Please if I haven't listed your blog, it is not because it is not wonderful, I'm sure it is I just haven't had time to discover it yet. Feel free to invite me over

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 11 2010 at 8:40pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Another CM high school blog would be Meredith's Sweetness and Light. Her daughter is in high school this year.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 11 2010 at 9:08pm | IP Logged Quote Nique

Thanks everybody

Back to Top View Nique's Profile Search for other posts by Nique

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 11 2010 at 9:33pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

lapazfarm wrote:
Another CM high school blog would be Meredith's Sweetness and Light. Her daughter is in high school this year.

Thanks Theresa,

I have only just re-discovered Meredith's blog.

Angela,

I should have asked you what 'style of' blogs are you looking for, what style nurture where you are currently in your life?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

florasita
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 11 2010 at 11:13pm | IP Logged Quote florasita

I like different blogs for different areas of my life but all of them uplift me if they do not inspire me I unfollow them
I love Gae's blog so so much Cherished Hearts at Home homemaking blogs like hers .Passionette Home Making is another
crafty blpogs like Pepper Paints and Saints & Spinnersand this young lady Leila at Tattoo Talesreminds me of our dd Natasha she does crafts based on Mexican Day of The Dead art
I do not follow just catholic blogs some are pagan or secular and one of my absolute favs is October Farm! she posts recipes almost every week for sure . She has a giveaway every single saterday ! I won last saterdays giveaway ! autumn decorations !
For calm I visit Vintage Living it is in Finish and I have absolutely no idea what she is saying unless I bother to copy and past to a translator but most of all I just look at her photos because they remind me of my gramma & the cottage living .
Then there is Christer who has The Cottage at Crane Lake he is in Sweden and he posts just about his nature walks round the forest there again very calming .
I also follow a ton of simple living & homesteading blogs like Home Living ( Lady Lydia )and Homestead Blessings ( the west ladies ) , Laughing Duck Farm ( I'm a sucker for goats )
and the lady I believe will be the saint of back to the landers Molly Mc at Heaven not Harvard
I do not visit to many homeschool blogs any longer but my absolute favs are Melissa Wiley Homeschooling Mom Going Sane and Theresa's Blog LaPaz Home Learning and then Leonie introduced me to the Christian Unschoolers and that is about it .
As for catholic blogs again like homeschool blogs I like blogs that do not leave me feeling I'm not a good enough mum , homeschooler or catholic I only visit a few blogs that help me grow in my catholic faith & keep going being His wonderful catholic He created me to be
I love love Under the Oak beacuse her bloig is only about celtic/irish saints !
Cajun Cottage Inder The Oaks
I used to read catholic chicks but they shut the blog down !
Catholic Cuisine I love love Leonies blog Living Without School which of course is also a homeschool blog but she is a absolute non judgmental person she helps me learn about my religion & grow in faith again I just can't say enough good about her & her bloggy blog Conversion Diary is also very uplifting
I love The Journey of a Bishop and it is a Canadian blog too and Under Her Starry Mantle is often a place of calm for me I love Anne's devotions and her life, art , chaplet making has deeply moved me
Wildflowers & Marbles and By Sun & Candlelight are both very warm your heart sort of blogs too .
When I remember and get the chance I love love reading & learning from Family Centered Living Blog with Nissa & her family
I also have blogs I follow regarding abuse & healing as well as pacifism and Non Violent ways to prevent abortion , restorative justice etc. there are alot of great
Catholic Restorative Justice groups working hard out there to help healing & people in prisons etc.
like the nun Sister Elaine Macinnes .

Now of course I will have to check out all the other blogs everyone else reccommended fun fun fun !

May I rise & rest with words of Gratitude on my Breath
May I have the Heart & Mind of a Child in my Depth
May I forever remember to be a Light
May Peace Love & Hope be My Sight
Back to Top View florasita's Profile Search for other posts by florasita Visit florasita's Homepage

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote Angel

Ha, Erin, you're very kind.

I find I add blogs to my reader based on whatever interest I have at the time. Then as time goes by I get interested in something else and I need to sort through my subscriptions. Right now I have a bunch of art blogs I don't check too much anymore. Not too many craft blogs in my reader either.

Like you, Erin, I would love to find more homeschool blogs that talk high school, especially with a classical/CM/ and/or unschooling twist. (I read all the homeschool ones you listed, including yours and Meredith's.) I have been meaning to check out Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers for her "Weekly Wrap Up" (Barb at Harmony Art Mom participates) to check out the list of blogs that link.

I have a nature study blog I like: The Magnifying Glass

I also like "real food" blogs (have a number of those (and I read Passionate Homemaking but did not know about the West ladies blog, so thanks, florasita!) and I would like more gardening/homesteading blogs... the homesteading blogs I used to read somehow disappeared. I like the Gnowfglins site.

So if you could find me a relaxed CM/Classical high schooling gardening homesteading real food blog, I think that would hit everything.

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 4:30pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Angel wrote:
I find I add blogs to my reader based on whatever interest I have at the time. Then as time goes by I get interested in something else and I need to sort through my subscriptions. Right now I have a bunch of art blogs I don't check too much anymore. Not too many craft blogs in my reader either.

I used to be so embarrassed that I was a 'craft failure' I have friends who are not, then one day I realised God made me as I am, He liked me that way

Angel wrote:
Like you, Erin, I would love to find more homeschool blogs that talk high school, especially with a classical/CM/ and/or unschooling twist. (I read all the homeschool ones you listed, including yours and Meredith's.) I have been meaning to check out Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers for her "Weekly Wrap Up" (Barb at Harmony Art Mom participates) to check out the list of blogs that link.

Actually I've realised there doesn't seem to be much out there and was thinking I really need to talk more about that part of my life. Also I've been meaning to join in the Weekly Wrap Up, I already write my weekly learning notes at my learning blog, so should be fun. I receive so much inspiration from Barb's notes.

Angel wrote:
I also like "real food" blogs (have a number of those .....and I would like more gardening/homesteading blogs... ...

So if you could find me a relaxed CM/Classical high schooling gardening homesteading real food blog, I think that would hit everything.

I'm just heading down the real food path myself,(maybe we should start a post and share about that?) haven't yet found any to fit your bill though

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 7:43pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I'm sure we aren't helping are we, Angela - if you take all the suggestions then you'll have even more blogs to read.

Of course the 4 Real member ones mentioned are great and top the list.

I can't believe no one mentioned Catholic Icing. Right up there with Catholic Cuisine for Liturgical Year ideas and posts.

Others:
American Papist (on CatholicVoteAction.com)
Whispers in the Loggia
Jimmy Akin

If I don't have much time (which is most of the time unfortunately) I tend to just hit, Catholic Cuisine, Catholic Icing, Crafty Crow, American Papist.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Angela

Have you heard of the CM blog carnival? A fortnightly round up of topics relevant to homeschooling CM.
I must check it out myself, we may even find some more highschool families there

florasita
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 9:37pm | IP Logged Quote florasita

like I said all we needed were more blogs to read !!
Angela have you seen the Zeiger Family Homestead blog they are really off grid and in Alaska to boot !
I found the site of Dorothy Ainsworth a few yrs back and I really like reading her story she has buoilt several log homes ! and I really like Organic & Homesteading that site offers different posts from small homesteads
sorry I can't help much on the highschool homeschool front I found I was tired of online stuff and our kids really needed to connect with kids here after our best homeschool chums went to ps this fall . so we've been out and about alot lately .
again I like reading what Leonie posts .
are you also on fb Angela because if so I find that is where I get so much support from my homeschool chums .
it really is a good community for quick uplift , lots of us in the same boat etc. good days & not so good days that kind of thing.
I know fb option is very personal and it is not for everyone but frankly in this day and age where most people we know work and our homeschool community is spread cross country & in fact continents I find fb a great resource connection .
For me it is just like blogging though I have to take breaks and find balance as in all areas of life .so if you have the chance maybe fb could be an option .

Back to Top View florasita's Profile Search for other posts by florasita Visit florasita's Homepage

Lacy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 9:28am | IP Logged Quote Lacy

I totally forgot to mention The Catholic Toolbox! It's one of my favorites!

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote LLMom

Erin wrote:

and a couple of ex-Fundies blogs who are on a spiritual journey and just plain make me think outside my box
Elizabeth Esther
Permission to Live

Erin,

I am glad you have found these two blogs. They have been instrumental in helping me in a number of ways as I have dealt with some extremists within Catholic circles, and the reason I started my new blog, the church fanatic.

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

florasita
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 11:01pm | IP Logged Quote florasita

Wow some of these look hilarious ! I will follow and visit whenever I have those who feel I'm not catholic enough start to pester me again

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 2:20pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Angela

You asked for real food blogs;

Post Modern Feeding by a homeschooler
and some websites
Urban Homestead
Freedom Gardens

*Lindsey*
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 4:00pm | IP Logged Quote *Lindsey*

I really enjoy: Like Mother, Like Daughter

Lacy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 4:25pm | IP Logged Quote Lacy

Ok, I had never even heard of Like Mother, Like Daughter and it looks really cool! What other awesome Catholic blogs are you guys holding out on me? Cough 'em up!

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 4:33pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

*Lindsey* wrote:
I really enjoy: Like Mother, Like Daughter

Wow!! I love the Like Mother, Like Daughter blog...I just spent WAY too much time on there....
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

Elena
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 6:13pm | IP Logged Quote Elena

I like
Sprittibee
Daisy Cottage
The Crafty Crow
Tea at Trianon
Catholic Mom in Hawaii
Adam's Ale

I have lots more that I like but that's a taste - I keep all of my shared items here

One Day at a Time

Back to Top View Elena's Profile Search for other posts by Elena Visit Elena's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version