Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: "Deconstructing" Boys Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 10:44am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

At these early ages I found that I needed my boys to be in organized sports to burn off their excess energy. It has seemed in our home that the more they burn off their energy in this manner, the less they destroy the house!

I don't typically do teams sports until the child is closer to 7, but at these younger ages I have had great success with ice skating, gymnastics, swimming and soccer.

As my boys got older we have moved in to traditional sports of baseball, wrestling, soccer, roller hockey.

They do play outside, a lot! But, it seems that the organized sports wear them out more fully mentaly and physicially (in a good way). Over the years I have been questions by having my boys in lots of sports, and my reply to all of them is, "Its all about bed time!"

Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2010 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

I'm just getting set up again in our new house after a GRUELING move and I had to in commiseration at this thread. Last week I had to run one of my 4 yo boys to urgent care because he'd been jumping down our new stairs (we lived in a 1 story in NY) and injured a tendon. The doctor said, "He needs to take it easy for a week," and I think my eyes literally bugged out the way they do on cartoons. As I'm sitting here right now typing this, the same staircase is littered with pillows and blankets, from the twins' room on the other side of the house. Silly me, I thought we could actually MAKE THE BEDS here.

Sighing right along with you, Lindsay.

But like Michelle says, they do grow out of it... sort of. My 13 yo does not normally destroy his bed every.single.day. anymore. Our problem now is that he doesn't know how big he is anymore and wrestling and sword fighting with the younger kids is sometimes not really a very good idea.

Anyway... my advice is that some days are made for chocolate. And remove as much as you can that isn't nailed down for a while. (When my twins were 18 months old, they liked to dismantle all the book cases, down to taking out the shelves. That drove me a bit batty.) I'm thinking about going back to sleeping bags for my little guys when it gets cooler. At least then I only have to pick up TWO items per bed, instead of worrying about sheets, pillows, blankets, and the cute tractor quilts I bought in a moment of forgetfulness!!    

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 28 2010 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote LucyP

My two do the same thing and one of them is a 3yo girl, so maybe not just a boy thing! I don't mind particularly, as long as everything is put back in place at the end of the day or when company is expected, and as long as things are not used to purposefully injure one another. I think it is actually quite sweet to come in and see the kids don't see cushions but only some islands or bricks to build a den from or whatever.
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 28 2010 at 10:00am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

LucyP wrote:
My two do the same thing and one of them is a 3yo girl, so maybe not just a boy thing! I don't mind particularly, as long as everything is put back in place at the end of the day or when company is expected, and as long as things are not used to purposefully injure one another. I think it is actually quite sweet to come in and see the kids don't see cushions but only some islands or bricks to build a den from or whatever.

I don't know how big your house is, Lucy, but I'm wondering if its possibly cuter when your living room is bigger than 10' x 12'.

(Not that it isn't EVER cute )

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 28 2010 at 10:25am | IP Logged Quote LucyP

Oh it is titchy, Lindsay - a typical small British terraced house - so 10 x 12 is probably right, maybe smaller. I battle the urge to stress and scream about it all the time because any mess here is in my face. I get more fed up because i make our cushions, quilts etc and don't want them or expensive items like couches trashed...
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 28 2010 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

oh and how cute depends on so many things.. like how long ago did you get straighted up (again!) and how soon is company coming and things like that

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 28 2010 at 10:38am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

LucyP wrote:
Oh it is titchy, Lindsay - a typical small British terraced house - so 10 x 12 is probably right, maybe smaller. I battle the urge to stress and scream about it all the time because any mess here is in my face. I get more fed up because i make our cushions, quilts etc and don't want them or expensive items like couches trashed...

What a wonderful word! Titchy. Must add that to my vocabulary

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 28 2010 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Angel wrote:

Anyway... my advice is that some days are made for chocolate. And remove as much as you can that isn't nailed down for a while.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version