Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: Making Music, Praying Twice Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MWeber
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 28 2011 at 3:15pm | IP Logged Quote MWeber

Ahhhh, stop tempting me!

Suzanne - I think that's a great idea. Isn't Jen's (Mackfam) oldest daughter also in charge of music at her house? I wonder what she uses.

Good point about WeeSing. My kids loved the music, and it's a good way to learn the lyrics of many common children's songs. Great for car trips! But I can understand your point about its simplicity.

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2011 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

Susan, are you doing this for an indefinite period? The idea appeals to me for the Fall, but I wonder if it is something that could be done for a 6-8 week chunk or is there a longer commitment involved? We are also part of a co-op that is sort of a drop off style. Would MMPT be good to see if someone wants to offer there? Sorry for all the questions! I have just been thinking more and more about clubs that can be short term but focused, like Alice describes in Haystack Full of Needles.

wife since 6/03, Mom to son 7/04, daughter 2/06, twin sons 6/08 and son 7/11, son 1/2014
Back to Top View AmandaV's Profile Search for other posts by AmandaV

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 28 2011 at 7:05pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

MWeber wrote:
Isn't Jen's (Mackfam) oldest daughter also in charge of music at her house? I wonder what she uses.

Yes. That's how it works here, too! Why??? Because Suzanne suggested it to me last summer! And it works GREAT!!!   

My daughter uses a variety of Wee-Sing CD's and books, Lingua Angelica, and Our Musical Year.

She also plays piano and the recorder (both were self-taught with some help from her musically gifted dad). Next year, she will be teaching my 2nd grader how to play the recorder using Penny Gardner's Nine Note Recorder Method, and she and her other brother (10 yo) will be learning to play duets with their recorders using Easy Duets for Catholics. The 10 yo is learning to play guitar; dad is teaching.

wahoo for big girls teaching little people music!!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

SusanMc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 30 2011 at 4:54pm | IP Logged Quote SusanMc

atara, I think the shorter 15-minute lessons would lend themselves to a summer program very well.

AmandaV, the lessons are organized around the liturgical seasons. As it has worked out thus far we do about four weeks on and then one or two weeks off due to illness, family stuff, etc. You could just select the weeks and coordinate them with the liturgical calendar. The leader should have the instruction manual and the liturgical season they are focusing on.

Depending on the number of kids and their ages, it would work very well for a coop. Our group is made up of about 7 kids ages infant to 3.5 so there is NO WAY I could do it as a drop off program from a class management perspective. But if you have kids that are good at sitting in a circle, it could be done.

But I really have to emphasize how great it has been to have the parents involved. Many of the moms have commented on how they have become more confident in their own musical ability with the class. Also the program is really big on making music together as a family community too.

If you do it in a group, I highly recommend encouraging the participating families to purchase the CDs and/or music books for each season they do. I have not done this and I think we'd have better retention of songs and more musicianship progress if the kids and adults had more exposure to the material outside of class. Also, with only two songbooks in class it makes following the lyrics tricky when you have more than two toddlers who DEMAND to hold the books!

Oh, and the instruction manual is very step-by-step informative so an older child could easily take this on as a project. I think it helps if the leader can read music, sing, and have a sense of rythmn but you could probably just muddle through with only one of those skills.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version