Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: T.O.R.C.H.? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
sunnyviewmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 30 2010 at 3:18pm | IP Logged Quote sunnyviewmom

Lindsay,
Just want to say thanks for the encouragement! This forum has been an online "support" group for me as I have benefitted so much mostly from just reading other's posts. Thanks to everyone!
Back to Top View sunnyviewmom's Profile Search for other posts by sunnyviewmom

Red Cardigan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 30 2010 at 9:21pm | IP Logged Quote Red Cardigan

sewcrazy wrote:
I was on the phone the with the national communication director for TORCH. TORCH is NOT affiliated with Regnum Christi in any way or form. Many of the early members of TORCH were members of Regnum Christi and attempts were made to have TORCH become an apostolate but it never was.

The current national director, Theresa Carlson, welcomes questions regarding this issue.

Hi, all! I'm interested in keeping the information on my site accurate.

Theresa Carlson is mentioned in an RC article from 2005 (just quoted as someone who appreciated an RC publication--it doesn't say she was a member). I'm curious to know if she ever was an RC member or is now. If she's not, I'll add that info to my list.

Thanks!

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2010 at 8:39am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Red Cardigan wrote:
Theresa Carlson is mentioned in an RC article from 2005 (just quoted as someone who appreciated an RC publication--it doesn't say she was a member). I'm curious to know if she ever was an RC member or is now. If she's not, I'll add that info to my list.

Thanks!
I'm curious -- does it matter? My dh and I were ALMOST members ... does that mean what we say or do is suspect because of the contagion of Legionaries? I have many friends who were (and some still are) members of RC ...

I'm thinking that TORCH may or may not be good based on the TORCH group NOT whether any of its members, even the national director, were ever RC .... just my $.02 ....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

zookeeper9
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 31 2010 at 9:20am | IP Logged Quote zookeeper9

I am a member of my local TORCH group, it has been a wonderful source of encouragement and support this year. I would agree with MaryG, that it the strength of the group is based on the local membership.

If there were another Catholic homeschool group I would consider joining it too, but I have yet to find one.
Back to Top View zookeeper9's Profile Search for other posts by zookeeper9 Visit zookeeper9's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 31 2010 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

************MODERATOR'S NOTE**************

In general, if an organization is founded or run primarily by members of a specific group, whether it be of Opus Dei members, or Third Order Franciscans, or Regnum Christi, the spirituality outlook of the organization could be influenced even if it isn't official. So disclosure of associations might matter to some for the process of discernment for involvement and assist with informed prudential decisions. It's not a negative to comment if someone is a member of a particular 3rd order or a lay spiritual association such as Regnum Christi.

For this thread, as the situation with RC is still being discussed within official Church circles, it's best if personal opinions are withheld until the Vatican issues official guidance. Thank you for continuing to offer general information regarding T.O.R.C.H..

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2010 at 11:10am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Yes, I truly believe, no, I KNOW from experience, it does indeed matter. Anything operated by LC/RC, owned by them, or ran by it's members is influenced by the methods of them. TORCH, FAMILIA, Conquest, or any other LC affiliate is used heavily as a channel for recruitment to RC/LC. Leadership is REQUIRED to recruit members of these groups ('cultivate' they call it.) to RC.

It seems very logical to say that the strength of the local group is based on the membership, but ANY group being run by a member of RC is 'answering' to LC, whether it's local membership and non-RC members know it or not. Your local TORCH leader is 'accountable' for the local group members (whether these members know about it or not.) to her RC section leader, spiritual director, and RC team leader. I can attest that she is questioned about TORCH membership and membership 'integration' by all of the above at each of her monthly meetings with these people.

It IS important to know if something you are getting involved with is affiliated with any other entity within the church, especially one such as LC/RC at this time, it is the only way to make prudent decisions for your family. I can tell you, no RC apstolate, (even if it's not 'official' and just ran by an RC member, she is 'accountable' for the membership. No RC member just runs a group, bible study, or cooking class without answering to another RC member in 'authority over her, or a LC priest, to ensure that is is of benefit to the movement and a good use of an RC member's time) is reporting back to 'Fr. SoandSo, LC', on YOUR family and whether or not you are 'integrated'.

Moderators, if I overstepped guidelines here, feel free to delete. I just simply cannot be quiet about these things any more, too many people have been hurt. Absolute transparency is desperately needed regarding how RC runs it's apstolates.   

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Red Cardigan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 31 2010 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote Red Cardigan

With all due respect to both Jen and Mary G, I do think there are reasons to be concerned about the level of involvement a group has with the Legion of Christ/Regnum Christi at this point, more so than merely the awareness of the affiliation as with Opus Dei or some other group.

Statements like this one, and the appointment of a papal delegate to lead the order and re-form all of its constitutions must give anyone pause; then, too, there is the proposed coming apostolic visitation of Regnum Christi itself. None of this means that each and every person involved with Regnum Christi is somehow "tainted," but it does mean that people who *haven't* been involved should be aware of the deeply serious and continuing order-wide problems as they discern whether to get involved with RC programs or ministries.

That's why it does make a difference, to me, if TORCH is an RC apostolate, or if it is not an RC apostolate but is run by lay leaders who are still active members of RC and using its methods and spirituality in their work, or if it has no such connections. I'm happy to post the most accurate information, but thus far the only information I've had is that many of the lay leaders are still very much involved in RC. If that is wrong, I will be glad to update my page with the current information.

Edited to add new link re: papal delegate

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2010 at 5:51pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 31 2010 at 6:59pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

**************Moderator's Note*******************

The facts about the current status of Regnum Christi have been stated. This topic is extremely complex and is not directly related to the purpose of 4Real. Discussions of personal experiences and opinions about Regnum Christi and organizations related to it should be conducted elsewhere, either on blogs or via private emails. Thank you for respecting these boundaries.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Red Cardigan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 31 2010 at 8:08pm | IP Logged Quote Red Cardigan

Jen, I respect the board's boundaries and limitations, and invite anyone who wishes to continue a conversation on this topic to do so at my blog:

Open thread for 4Real Visitors

Bye!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version