Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: How many aprons? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 23 2010 at 10:12pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Mackfam wrote:
A particular favorite of mine are aprons made from old flour sacks. It's a testament to the frugality of the time - and the flour sack cloth was so sturdy and pretty!

I was going to add that these would be a favorite of mine as well. My grandmother (on my mother's side) always wore an apron and hers were from flour sacks for the most part. We (my mom) only have one left but it is so worn and patched that it couldn't be used. And the patching is actually pretty hideous in color so it isn't even the most attractive memory.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2010 at 10:25am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

AGH! Now I need find more purposes for aprons, to justify making all the new ones you've all inspired me to make!

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

Trinity
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 27 2010 at 7:26am | IP Logged Quote Trinity

I love aprons too. They just make cooking and cleaning more fun. I have five, all in different styles and colors. : )

My favorite one I have is from Sweet Marmalade. It is so comfy!

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 27 2010 at 8:43am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

With m/s kicking in, we've been watching a LOT of All Creatures Great and Small.

I was fascinated by Mrs. Hall's apron in one scene where she was getting ready to leave the house because it looked like a plain but pretty print dress, but it was really just a full coverage apron that went on from the back, had sleeves, and crossed in the front. She was wearing her nice skirt and blouse underneath.

Anyway, not really thinking of it in this heat! But, it was like an "over dress" or something, and truly, a fascinating concept to me. Has anyone seen these in person or for sale?

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 27 2010 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

CrunchyMom wrote:
I was fascinated by Mrs. Hall's apron in one scene where she was getting ready to leave the house because it looked like a plain but pretty print dress, but it was really just a full coverage apron that went on from the back, had sleeves, and crossed in the front. She was wearing her nice skirt and blouse underneath.

Anyway, not really thinking of it in this heat! But, it was like an "over dress" or something, and truly, a fascinating concept to me. Has anyone seen these in person or for sale?

Anna at Pleasant View Schoolhouse used to sew some aprons similar to this. I was trying to find an example on her site, but I only came up with this coverall, this hooverette, and this coverall. I know she has lots more discussion of housedresses, aprons, and the like.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 27 2010 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

And I spent way too much time visiting this site this weekend - Vintage Apron Patterns - oh my......drooling. These are amazing, though VERY expensive. Can't justify that part of it right now. But there are definitely more of the "cover up" styles here - one's that aren't just around the neck (like butcher style) - I'm definitely leaning toward those styles from the 40s. Very much remind me of my grandmother's aprons.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 27 2010 at 11:26am | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Whenever I'm in the kitchen I'm wearing an apron - simply because I am klutz who spills or splatters things all over myself. I have 5 butcher-style aprons. I used to wear only one particular white apron, but I always had it on, so it didn't ever (or hardly ever) get washed. One day I walked outside wearing it, and a lovely retired man in the neighborhood looked at my stained and smudged apron and asked me, "What did you just slaughter?" Now my aprons are not white and I do wash whichever one I've been using every three or four days. The extras always come in handy for my children to use.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

JaysFamily
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 27 2010 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote JaysFamily

I love Aux Belles Choses designs. She has a blog full of original designs, most of which are inspired by vintage fashions.

Jaysfamily
wife to Jay
mother to DS(5)
Back to Top View JaysFamily's Profile Search for other posts by JaysFamily

juliana147
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 27 2010 at 9:33pm | IP Logged Quote juliana147

Nancy... I usually look like that, too. For me, it's the bubbling vats of red gravy that I make that ruin my clothing!!!

I'm back with a report on Simplicity 5201. It is a GREAT apron! This is the first one I've made that I could wear for more than an hour or so. It's very comfortable- I don't like anything too binding. And talk about full coverage! I made it in a very lightweight calico, and it wasn't oppressively hot to wear.

I cut the neckline a bit higher, since I am so small. I was thinking that I should have made it out of a busier print, because a delicate calico in such quantity is a bit- uum, plain looking. And I don't know how many stains it will hide. But, dh walked in and said, "My grandmother had an apron in fabric just like that!" and he smiled... so I'm glad I made it in the tiny print. It obviously brought back good memories for him.

One other thing about the pattern- it has a LOT of self-bias. I think I will get a tape maker, or an attachment for my sewing machine, if I keep making this pattern. If you do any quilting, use your rotary cutter to cut it all!

-juliana

ETA: Mary, I should not have looked at that vintage pattern website! I love the 30's gardening apron and sun bonnet... but the price... What fun, though- thanks for posting it.
Back to Top View juliana147's Profile Search for other posts by juliana147

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 31 2013 at 2:55am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

BUMPING

MaryM wrote:
I'm a "wannabe apron wearer." A few years ago I got excited about wearing aprons and have been collecting patterns and fabric that aren't actually getting made into aprons

I am happy to report that in the last several years since I posted this, I have actually completed several aprons for myself. Still have more to do, as I want to have a big collection like Catholic Mommy.

Any great new patterns to add?

Jen, I'm looking at antique stores and flea markets as well. Hoping for some cute vintage ones. "Wearing a piece of history..."

Our Domestic Church

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 31 2013 at 9:16am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

MaryM wrote:
Jen, I'm looking at antique stores and flea markets as well. Hoping for some cute vintage ones. "Wearing a piece of history..."

I know! Isn't that great!!

I haven't done any sewing lately. But for Christmas my mom got all the girls vintage aprons from our favorite flea market and they are SOOOOO pretty! One is reversible and I just love it! They looked ridiculous on me when I was pregnant! But, they're so terribly cheery now!

And as an aside - since you were bumping a few hospitality threads today - don't you think that aprons are a interesting way to visually indicate a willingness to serve - hospitality? I'm so visual, and maybe that's why I have always enjoyed physical/visual representations of an interior spirit......like aprons --> hospitality. And of course, I have always LOVED things that are both practical and pretty!

I hope you find a couple of neat vintage aprons, Mary! I'll keep my eyes open for you, too! For aprons and ironstone!!! Doesn't that have a neat ring to it? > Aprons and Ironstone < Sounds like the beginning of a DELICIOUS article to me!!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 31 2013 at 4:00pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

I've still had no luck at all in op-shops

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 31 2013 at 4:40pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Erin wrote:
I've still had no luck at all in op-shops

Op-shops? What does that mean? Flea market type places?

Mostly I find half aprons, which aren't very practical in the kitchen for me.

I do buy half sizes that have liturgical colors, so I have purple gingham for Lent and Advent. These would just be for serving, not cooking, or hanging on the oven for decoration.

Or I use them in the garden...with big pockets. To hold my clippers to get some herbs for dinner, for example...

This past weekend I found two full aprons, not expensive, which makes me happy!

I don't remember if it's this thread, but I'm still trying to figure out WHERE to put them on display. I have a odd layout to my kitchen, with mostly windows and few upper cabinets and NO blank walls. My pantry is too small, too.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 31 2013 at 5:21pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:
Mostly I find half aprons, which aren't very practical in the kitchen for me.

I also prefer the full ones for me too, but noted in the early part of the thread that Jen prefers half aprons. Jen, tell us about how that works - are you just neater than us and don't get your top messy??

JennGM wrote:
I do buy half sizes that have liturgical colors, so I have purple gingham for Lent and Advent. These would just be for serving, not cooking, or hanging on the oven for decoration.

I like that idea of ones that coordinate to the liturgical year .

JennGM wrote:
I don't remember if it's this thread, but I'm still trying to figure out WHERE to put them on display. I have a odd layout to my kitchen, with mostly windows and few upper cabinets and NO blank walls. My pantry is too small, too.

Organizing Aprons

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 31 2013 at 5:33pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Mackfam wrote:
...don't you think that aprons are a interesting way to visually indicate a willingness to serve - hospitality? I'm so visual, and maybe that's why I have always enjoyed physical/visual representations of an interior spirit......like aprons --> hospitality. And of course, I have always LOVED things that are both practical and pretty!

I agree - I think that aprons are a really visible sign of hospitality - a readiness to serve. They are also a sign of homeyness - comfortable, cozy, feeling of home - don't you think? That picture book Jenn mentioned int he other apron thread definitely gives that feel.

Mackfam wrote:
I hope you find a couple of neat vintage aprons, Mary! I'll keep my eyes open for you, too! For aprons and ironstone!!! Doesn't that have a neat ring to it? > Aprons and Ironstone < Sounds like the beginning of a DELICIOUS article to me!!!

Haven't updated you - found 4 ironstone dinner plates at thrift store (75 cents each) - that match my bread plates. Thanks for the encouragement - still looking for more...

Our Domestic Church

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 01 2013 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I don't why but I wasn't getting emails from this thread!

Aprons are also the source of femininity and prettiness in the home. My boys (and DH) always notice and compliment when I wear the "pretty" aprons.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version