Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: A Week at the Beach Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 25 2006 at 12:16am | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

I will make one caveat to the sunglass recommendation -- they need to be sunglasses that block all UV rays. If they don't, your eyes will actually receive more sun damage because the pupils dilate and allow more UV rays in. (In other words, don't use the ones from the birthday party section of Toys R Us! )

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 26 2006 at 6:39pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Just finding this thread and noticed Becky's mention of a sun-tent. Any recommendations for a specific one? I am looking for something to take to baseball games this Spring that goes up and down easily and will fit at least 7 people.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 31 2006 at 7:29am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

teachingmyown wrote:
Just finding this thread and noticed Becky's mention of a sun-tent. Any recommendations for a specific one? I am looking for something to take to baseball games this Spring that goes up and down easily and will fit at least 7 people.

bump...I'm still looking for suggestions on tents. I don't need as large as Molly....

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: March 31 2006 at 5:55pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

I'm afraid I don't have sun tent suggestions.

But, since you bumped this up, I thought I'd mention some things I saw in the latest Lillian Vernon catalog that made me think of you, Jenn. They have that beach cart I recommended for $49.98. (Item # 005469 604) They have free shipping for orders over $50 by June 1, so if you purchase just one more thing, you'll save on shipping.

They also had a nice quilted reversible cotton beach blanket that rolls up and buttons so you can easily tote it using the shoulder straps. It says it's 50 x 70 inches. (The blue/green one is item # 023117 604 and it's $19.98.)

Every time this thread gets bumped up, it makes me long for the beach!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 03 2006 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

teachingmom wrote:
Every time this thread gets bumped up, it makes me long for the beach!

Thanks so much, Irene, for the suggestions. I agree...I'm longing for the beach. I'll have to start a thread in the Picture Books to get some suggestions for books on the beach. Ds hasn't been ever, so I'm trying to prepare him.

This past week we were taking care of my mother-in-law in Pennsylvania. Ds and I visited her in the hospital twice and he just loved the elevators (what child doesn't?).... The house we're renting has an elevator. We're joking that they'll go home with tales about the elevator, not the beach!

Now we have even more reason to look forward to this. Dh had decided to do this trip mostly for his mother, thinking it would be nice to have the family around. With the sudden surprise of a heart attack in a very healthy woman, this trip has even more meaning to us.

So I appreciate any help and advice you've all given.

Now sunglasses...where do you find good protective sunglasses for littles?

And HOW do you keep the hats and glasses on them???????

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: April 03 2006 at 11:25pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

JennGM wrote:
The house we're renting has an elevator. We're joking that they'll go home with tales about the elevator, not the beach!

Would you believe that the house we are renting this year has an elevator too?! I had never heard of that in a vacation rental home before. I guess it makes the house handicapped accessible, which is great. The kids are really looking forward to the elevator--my parents have already made announcements to all the grandchildren about the elevators being used strickly when an adult is present. (Now where is the fun in that?)

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2006 at 8:44am | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

I have to warn you, Irene and Jenn, about the elevator thing. Last fall (for my sister's wedding) 20 of us rented a house in Hatteras with an elevator. Our kids, of course, were looking forward to it also. They only got to ride it once or twice. It was little and slow, but most importantly, it had a sign that said something like "Only 16 and up may operate and only when needed (for groceries or walking issues)." I just didn't feel comfortable letting them ignore the sign.

On the postive side, the beach was so GREAT that they really did seem to forget all about the elevator.

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: April 04 2006 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Just to reassure you, Jen, I was only joking in my last post. I am one of those people who tend to go overboard a bit when it comes to safety, so in reality, I totally agree with what my parents said about no kids in the elevators.

Now dh is really looking forward to that elevator when it comes to lugging all our suitcases and stuff up all those steps!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 04 2006 at 6:19pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Jen L. wrote:
I have to warn you, Irene and Jenn, about the elevator thing. Last fall (for my sister's wedding) 20 of us rented a house in Hatteras with an elevator. Our kids, of course, were looking forward to it also. They only got to ride it once or twice. It was little and slow, but most importantly, it had a sign that said something like "Only 16 and up may operate and only when needed (for groceries or walking issues)." I just didn't feel comfortable letting them ignore the sign.

Oh, we figured the rules would be like that on the elevator. I think just the idea of one in the house is such a novelty....Like Irene, we're very cautious. Our house also has a pool which makes me a bit nervous, so we're already making the rules regarding this.

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: April 04 2006 at 8:39pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

JennGM wrote:
Our house also has a pool which makes me a bit nervous, so we're already making the rules regarding this.

We've had houses with pools for most of the years since I've had children. It always causes me a ton of anxiety for my toddlers. We are able to lock the fenced pool area . . . but still. In the end, dh and I have to be really vigilant to know where the younger kids are at all times, which is not always easy in a big house with cousins running around ranging in age from 13 down to 2. I really pray to my girls' guardian angels during our week there.

Hopefully the pool will lock safely, Jenn, and it won't be a problem since you'll only have adults in the house with your toddler.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 04 2006 at 8:48pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

teachingmom wrote:
Hopefully the pool will lock safely, Jenn, and it won't be a problem since you'll only have adults in the house with your toddler.

No, we have 4 other children, two of them toddlers in the group. But yes, I agree!

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: April 04 2006 at 9:41pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Oh, I didn't realize you were going with a brother's or sister's family too. I thought it was just your family and your mil. So, yes, I can identify with the anxiety.

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2006 at 12:13am | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

teachingmom wrote:
Just to reassure you, Jen, I was only joking in my last post. I am one of those people who tend to go overboard a bit when it comes to safety, so in reality, I totally agree with what my parents said about no kids in the elevators.

Now dh is really looking forward to that elevator when it comes to lugging all our suitcases and stuff up all those steps!

I'm so horrible at writing online -- I really don't need reassurance. I was thinking about the kids' expectations. (We loved the elevator for groceries as well!)

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2006 at 1:10pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

For sunglasses try One Step Ahead. I've never had much luck keeping hats or glasses on my kids, but Gregory seems very biddable so maybe he'll do well with them.

BTW, cataracts are what you get from your eyes being unprotected from UV rays. There may be others, but this is the one we dealt with a lot when I used to work for an optometrist back in the day....

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version