Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: A Week at the Beach Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 10 2006 at 4:25pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

For those with snow on the ground, my apologies. I'm celebrating our 70+ degree weather with all our windows open. Lovely!!! I need an emoticon for a sigh of contentment.

To my subject line...we are planning to with my in-laws to the Outer Banks in July for a week. That's four months away. I've never gone to the shore with children. I have NOTHING for anyone...dh, me, ds. Okay, I have some beach towels and sand chairs. Today I'm realizing ds doesn't have a stitch for warm weather months! I don't have the benefit of hand-me-downs!

I need to keep things low budget, but I know we need extra sun protection besides just sunscreen -- we are the pale, white skin family -- dh has already had skin cancer removed from his nose (so WHY are we going to the beach? ) Ds is blond and pale (our Arian child ) so even his scalp needs to be protected!

I'm seeing SPF swimsuits, long sleeved outfits that look like scuba gear. Are these hot and itchy if ds is out playing in the sand? Or should I go with SPF shirts and swimtrunk?

How about shoes? Should I be protecting ds feet from things in the ocean with beachwear?

I'm turning pages in catalogs, and everything seems so lovely, but lots of STUFF that I know isn't necessary. I think our house will be a walk to the beach, so lugging stuff would need help on wheels.

I know I have some time, but it helps for me to plan and present items and budget to ds...being a CPA he appreciates planned spending and not impulse buying.

I'd appreciate any helpful advice, links, etc. I'm a newbie at all this!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: March 10 2006 at 9:33pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Hi Jenn,
We go to the Outer Banks every summer in late July or early August with my entire family -- this year it will be 14 adults and 13 children in one huge house! Out of my five girls, three inherited a very fair Irish complexion, so we have to be careful about protection from the sun. That being said, I have never invested in any of the expensive sun gear that is out there.

My best budget sun protection and beach ideas include:

Go to Walmart and stock up on the large bottles of No-Ad baby or kids sunscreen. I rarely shop at Walmart, so I usually make a trip in May and buy an entire summer's worth of it. Apply liberally and reapply regularly.

Buy a large floppy sunhat for toddlers with SPF protection at Target. They are similar to the expensive ones in the catalogs but cost about $7 or so.

Always keep t-shirts on over bathing suits as much as possible.

Get one of those open-sided sun tents, if possible. They are much better than umbrellas for keeping covered. (We don't own one, but one of my brothers does.) The downside is that they are heavy and bulky to transport.

We use umbrellas with success. I often set one up in the wet sand near the water and dig a hole to create a small "pool" for the toddlers to play in that is centered right under the shade created by the umbrella. When we fill the hole with a bit of water and hand them buckets and shovels, it keeps them happily playing in the shade.

We own quite a few pairs of water shoes. I bought a few early on, and many were handed down to us along the way. To be honest, they rarely get used--and never in the water itself. If your son is extra sensitive to the shells underfoot, you might find them helpful, but I don't think they are required at all. I do recommend a pair of flip-flops or washable sandals. The sand is a pain if it gets into nice leather sandals.

Be sure to bring an old comforter or blanket so you have at least one large, sand-free place to sit and eat or lie down. I don't think beach towels work well for this.

We have a cart very much like the one here. Mine looks just like the Wonder Wheeler Plus. I found it at Giant one summer for around $30. It's been very helpful for lugging everything back and forth between the house and the beach each day. It takes some work for dh to get it over the steps that cross the dunes, but since we don't get beachfront houses and often have a bit of a hike to the beach, it's worth it. I found a less expensive option here. It doesn't have the large basket-type thing for smaller items and loose towels, but it looks like it would work well.

I love the beach with the kids. It is definitely the highlight of our year. By going with your in-laws, you will have a benefit that I've always enjoyed . . . more adults makes it less work for mom and definitely a more enjoyable vacation.

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2006 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Low sitting beach chairs...it gets to be a pain sitting on sand all day...or maybe I just am a wimp!

Small cooler for food..I never like sand in my food and it kept our beer/hard lemonade cold ..very important!

Shoes are good b/c it can be hot and uncomfortable walking some paths to the beach..we basically just wore our gym shoes or sandals

Sun screen and buy the face stick for ds's face b/c it is easier to apply than lotion and doesn't smear and get in the face...plan to buy more than one b/c of them being little they are easy to lose!!!

If ds will wear sunglasses and hats the better for his skin and eyes...my ds just started to wear sunglasses last summer. I pick them up at the dollar store and get several pairs.

Wal-mart and Target are good with dollar bins of sand toys or just bring extra toys from home which you don't mind getting full of sand.

I like JC Penny for summer clothes b/c they start their sales early and the clothes are durable. Do you have that store even in Virginia???

I bought a huge beach bag and kept everything in there~toys, my book, lotion, keys,a little $$$, hand wipes, plastic bag for garbage, camera,etc
I throw the towels around my neck and carried our chairs. I didn't get anything with wheels...too cumbersome for us and we don't get to the beach too often to justify the price.

Ok..this is getting too long and am very jealous you have 70 degree weather and are planning a trip to the beach.

Marybeth
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 10 2006 at 9:54pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

get one of those huge beach umbrellas. they are awesome for when you get tired of the sun and sand and want to take a nap :D

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2006 at 10:12pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Wow! From what I'm reading here it would seem that on a Beach Vacation, you the mom actually get to sit and relax on the beach all day!    I have got to try a vacation like this. It is so far from here to the beach though    

Anyway Jenn, I saw some sunscreens for children on sale in the last Avon brochure.

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2006 at 6:22am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

We go to Florida most summers and the best thing we ever bought was the sun-tent. Everybody congregates there! Several families all go together and we say things like "I'll meet you at the tent after lunch". It's fun. It also give my older kids a way to find us when they go for a walk on the beach or even when they are playing by the water. It's also the best place to have little guys lay down for a "siesta"! I want to add that we got it pretty cheap and we actually set it up on the beach when we arrive and don't take it down until we leave. You might not be able to do that some places. It wouldn't have been practical at all if we had to take it down every day.
Other than that my kids know they have to have their sun hats on and they can't even step out the door without sunscreen.
Becky
Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 11 2006 at 6:50am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I love the Outer Banks!!! What fun!

There are some great suggestions here. Is your rental place on the beach or will you have to drive there? If you're on the Sound side, you might not be able to do beach stuff there, but will need to drive across to the ocean side. (We usually rent a house on the Sound. We drive the 10 or so blocks to the beach.)

One thing to think about is going early to the beach, coming home for lunch and naps (you, too!) and then going back to the beach in later afternoon hours. That way you don't have to lug all the stuff for lunch down to the beach. You might not need a sun tent if you did this, too.

We usually take a giant old comforter, as Irene suggests, and then lay towels on top of that...but sometimes we get tired of carrying it around and don't take it.

I use the same method as Marybeth...big plastic beach bag. We take low folding chairs and towels. Beach toys include kites...very popular! There are lots of shells to pick up on OBX beaches, so bring a bucket and shovel. Sometimes you can go to the dollar store and get some plastic "sand castle" molds to use for building.

Water shoes are good; see note on shells above! There are some jellyfish down there, but not too many. In years of visiting that area and living in Virginia Beach, my husband and son have each been stung only once, and my daughter and I never have.

It does rain down there. Plan for that (board games! DVDs!) so you don't have to run out and buy something expensive. I don't recall too many good places to buy books down there, although it's been 4 years since we last went , so things might have changed.

One other money-saving tip: Try to buy as many groceries as possible before you go down. Things cost more down there. Tank up in Chesapeake, too. I know you'll end up going out to Food Lion and buying the things you forgot, but you really will save money by shopping for food at home.

We do like to buy fresh fish once or twice down there (Austin's!) for the grill. Yum. If you like German food, there is a great Bavarian restaurant and brewery, the Weeping Radish, in Manteo. They have two other "branches," in Corolla and Currituck, but those don't have the German half-timbered atmosphere. The beer is good, my local tasting team says...I don't drink beer...and they make their own root beer, too.

mrsgranola
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 11 2006 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote mrsgranola

Just popping in on the boards and I saw this thread... If you're ever going to the lower NC beaches, going byt I-40 or I-95, please don't hesitate to stop for a visit with us! We'd be a great pit-stop and we'd love to meet any of the 4RealLearning families!!!!

JoAnna, trying to figure out where the stove is going in my new kitchen!

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: March 11 2006 at 10:02am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Jenn,
You've gotten a wealth of advice here . I had just a couple of things to add: definitely do a gas and grocery run in Great Bridge, also watch for fresh produce stands along the road during the last hour or so.We really stock up then. You might want to budget for a beach stroller. If you like to walk the beach, you and Dave will appreciate having the stroller to pop Gregory in so you can enjoy evening strolls without having to worry about midday sun.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 11 2006 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. I have frequented the beaches in my single days, but it's been years since I've been and sans children, so I know it's SOOO different. My needs come last! You've made me feel enthused about this trip!

I'm apprehensive being with the in-laws. We get along fine, but you do have to tip-toe around some subjects...actually, lots of subjects that are usual around here....religion, Catholic Church, politics, conservation, morality and the biggest sore spot: animals and pets, raising them to the equality of humans. . So that adds stress, especially since I usually have "foot-in-mouth disease" and both dh and I are very passionate, opinionated and verbal. But we plan on "doing our own thing" so that we make the most of our vacation.

The other added stress is making sure I have safe foods for my allergic son. I've gotten good at planning and travelling to PA for trips, but this will be a new adventure.

I'll try not to stress about what my body in the bathing suit will look like. Maybe I'll be pregnant again by then.

Umbrella source suggestions?

Tents...what I've seen right now is a Sun Cabana. I don't think this is what you mean. Other source suggestions?

Thanks again! Maybe some of our vacations will overlap and I can meet some of you down there. Planning a vacation is great therapy.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 11 2006 at 10:43am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Try Sun Precautions and Coolibar.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 11 2006 at 11:05am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

we got our umbrellas at a store called meijer when they were having one of their after-season sales, i wouldn't know where you could get one right now, sorry:(.

before getting those we made do with our giant umbrella from Sam's LOL. we stuck out like a sore thumb at the beach especially since everyone had the *real* beach umbrellas with summery designs and ruffles, ours were the only red-and-black umbrella that we propped up with coolers, etc. we still have a good laugh about it every now and then.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: March 11 2006 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

We bought a good beach umbrella from Costco last year or the year before. Unfortunately, we must have seen at least three matching ones on our section of the beach each day. One was purchased by my mom--at least we have similar taste! If you are not looking for the extra nice kind, you can usually find beach umbrellas at any Target/Walmart type store.

I also want to second the opinion that sunscreen sticks for faces are very convenient. No more tears due to sunscreen getting too near the eyes.

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2006 at 8:25pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I can't tell you anything about skin protection but I swear by Teva sandals. We have never had success with water shoes, but Tevas go in the water, on the sand, in the washer.....

We buy mostly neutral colors/designs so that they hand down, one pair went through 4 kids. Also the velcro straps mean they stay on feet not get left behind or fall off. They are available in a car pattern....

5athome
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 12 2006 at 9:28am | IP Logged Quote 5athome

We do not let our kids out to the beach or pool without their sun shirts and sunscreen. We prefer the short sleeved kind. It will cut down on the amount of sunscreen you need to use and covers up all those "tickly" spots that are hard to cover well in sunscreen. Anything that is a rash guard or sun shirt will work well - a t shirt will not give you much more protection than bare skin. We have been doing this since my dh had melanoma skin cancer a few years ago so we are pretty sun protective.

M
Back to Top View 5athome's Profile Search for other posts by 5athome

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 23 2006 at 7:46am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Thanks so much for all your help. We've rented the house and I'm getting set.

For those familiar with Outer Banks, would you know where the closest hospital is to Kill Devil Hills? That is one worry I have.

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 23 2006 at 8:29am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Jenn,

The Outer Banks Hospital is in Nags Head, south of Kill Devil Hills. The ER is staffed 24/7, of course. Depending on where your beach house is, it could be a 10 - 15 minute drive away, or perhaps a bit longer. Here's the link:
The Outer Banks Hospital

Hope this helps!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 23 2006 at 8:44am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

guitarnan wrote:
The Outer Banks Hospital is in Nags Head, south of Kill Devil Hills. The ER is staffed 24/7, of course. Depending on where your beach house is, it could be a 10 - 15 minute drive away, or perhaps a bit longer. Here's the link:
The Outer Banks Hospital

Thanks, Nancy. I guess my question is two-pronged. Besides where is the hospital, is there a 911 system, or ambulances in that area?

Just need a little peace of mind because of ds allergies.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 23 2006 at 8:48am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

JennGM wrote:
Thanks, Nancy. I guess my question is two-pronged. Besides where is the hospital, is there a 911 system, or ambulances in that area?

Quoting myself, but I found a blip on this page

To call for an ambulance or other emergency service in Dare or Currituck County, call 911. Dare County has eight fully equipped EMS stations, including a helicopter unit which operates 24 hours a day with advanced life support capabilities. Emergency patients are transported to the hospital, local medical centers, or to regional hospitals as needed.

I can cross that worry off my list!

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: March 24 2006 at 10:34pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

I'm glad you bumped this thread up, Jenn, because I found I had a suggestion to add this past week. I saw an old friend last weekend for the first time in awhile. She is dealing with eye problems--growths of some kind that will not allow her to get the laser eye surgery that she was hoping for. Her doctor said that the growths are due to sun damage! She grew up in Mexico and California and spent a lot of time outdoors in the sun.

This was a good reminder to me that we should all think about having our children wear sunglasses outside, especially in the summer. My girls spend all summer long outdoors with swim team, other pool time, playing in the neighborhood, and our week at the beach. I have never thought of encouraging them to wear sunglasses at their young ages before now.

When I mentioned this to another friend, she nodded her head and said that her sister who is a nurse is always telling her the she should have her kids protect their eyes with sunglasses during the summer.

Since this was new to me, I thought it was worth passing along.

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version